Hogwash
Years ago

Creek signs in Germany

Mitch Creek has signed a short term contract in Germany and will miss the upcoming Commonwealth Games.
More exposure for Creek in what is sure to be a very busy offseason.
No word yet on who will replace him in Comm Games team.

Topic #43020 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Do you have a link?

Sad for the Comm games, but great for Herr Creek

Reply #681929 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I don't know how to put a link on but it is in on nbl.com.au

Reply #681930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut to replace

Reply #681931 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

Disgraceful move to Creek, DISLOYAL to the Commonwealth games pick someone who has more loyalty to the cause than Mr. Demerit points

Reply #681936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Piss off mock. Money talks who even cares about the commonwealth games!? Tall poppy syndrome has many angles. Get paid Creek get your name known overseas and hopefully it's a case of you out growing the NBL.

Reply #681938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MOCK is a JOKE.

Reply #681940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA scouts watching him play for 8 games! Mock, do you know how long ago he informed the Boomers? Nope, you don't, so for you, you get the Donkey of the day!

Reply #681942 | Report this post

Cat's 4 life  
Years ago

Good on him, think he is gone up another level and at 25 he can go up and up. Cash in at any time and when you work hard you need to get rewarded.

Reply #681943 | Report this post

lel  
Years ago

fake news

Reply #681945 | Report this post

Gnome  
Years ago

The article wouldn't of happened to be published on the 1st of April would it?

Reply #681947 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Disgraceful move to Creek, DISLOYAL to the Commonwealth games pick someone who has more loyalty to the cause than Mr. Demerit points

"

Yeah, because the Boomers wont sleepwalk to gold if he isn't there, right? Fuck the Commonwealth Games. Basketball Australia should count themselves lucky that anyone is getting out of bed for it, what with the BIG matches we have against the basketball powers of Scotland and Cameroon.

Lemanis could also make the hurt much less if he opened his mind to options like, I dunno, Daniel Johnson, Majok deng, Ogilvy.

Reply #681949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng and the Boomers. PMSL.

Reply #681950 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Creek would want to perform better in Germany than he did in the Grand Finals series...when we needed someone to step up and lead from the front he went missing which I was really surprised with as he had done it all season.

Reply #681952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmm, shitload of money vs third rate tournament. Wonder what those with day jobs would really do

Reply #681956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.botinagy.com/blog/creek-nba-bound-via-bundesliga/

Reply #681957 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good for him. In his prime and should be out to make as much money as he can, the career of a pro athlete is a fleeting one.

TBH, Australia should be using the Commonwealth games as practice games for our top under 21 talent or something.

Reply #681958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please read, before making dumb ass comments like Mock!!
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/commonwealth-games/boomers-coach-andrej-lemanis-has-no-hard-feelings-toward-mitch-creek-for-chasing-nba-dream/news-story/517f04254873d1285d82db564d93ea22

Reply #681965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

closest to the nba he will ever get

Reply #681966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummmmm, anon 966, you obviously have no idea! He's already played NBA Summer League once, and he will be there again this year as well as veterans camp! But good call........

Reply #681974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deng? LMAO. Did you watch Game 5? big time player there.

Way to turn your back on your country in order to line your pockets Creek. I hope BA overlook him for the Olympics

Reply #681985 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

With Creek and Hodgson out, surely DJ now makes the team? Or will he get further snubbed?

Reply #681988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucas Walker has replaced him hahaha he's trash

Reply #681995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton and Lucas Walker got the call up.

Reply #681996 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

People bagging Creek for sacrificing to go play in Europe are just hating for the sake of hating. He is trying to make the most of his opportunity. He can't wait any longer, the time is now. You don't turn down the potential to make 3-5 times as much money in Europe or a lot more if he does make the NBA. All the keyboard warriors here would do the same if they were faced with such a financial decision. Considering it is April 1st perhaps it is just fake news anyway.

".when we needed someone to step up and lead from the front he went missing which I was really surprised with as he had done it all season."

Your comments are unfair as his stats were about the same and better in some areas. His defense was solid.

"With Creek and Hodgson out, surely DJ now makes the team? Or will he get further snubbed?"

Perhaps he doesn't want to be in the team.

Reply #682005 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

I'm sure Cameroon and Scotland feel a sigh of relief now!

Reply #682014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz to win.

Reply #682020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek.. So patriotic. Start dressing those who actually care about representing our country in the green and gold.

Reply #682025 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this Creek's first overseas gig?

Reply #682027 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yes it is and hardly unpatriotic it's a mickey mouse tournament who cares. He's getting a taste of European basketball so if the NBA attempt falls through later this year he's got a bit more information to make a more informed decision on whether to play in the G-League, go to Europe or come back to the Sixers.

Reading that interview with Boti though it does sound like he's gone from the NBL and will probably play in the G-League. Even if only for a season it's a good gamble in the hope of getting picked up and if nothing happens he can always come back to the NBL the following season and know he gave it a good crack rather than die wondering.

Reply #682028 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No one puts any real value in Commonwealth Games basketball, and Creek has zero demerit points in Germany, so it was one of the biggest no-brainers you could get.
I think it's perfect timing for where his game is at now. Best of luck to him.

Reply #682029 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

With DJ never making the squad, let alone team you totally understand his thoughts. The best Australian big in the nbl and never gets a call up? It's basketball, not politics.. good call by Mitch, you will learn far more this year with the Jazz than 1 month with LeManis

Reply #682030 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Why are people upset? It's just the Commonwealth games. Nobody gives a shit about the Commonwealth games.

Reply #682036 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

What is a demerit point in this instance?

Reply #682039 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Creeky is gonna love the autobahn

Reply #682043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They never picked the best side in the first place, it's a nothing tournament. I love to watch basketball but couldn’t be more removed from this tournament, especially with the non selection of Johnson.

Reply #682046 | Report this post

Yo Yo  
Years ago

Meanwhile Bogut sits on the couch

Reply #682047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So let me get this straight, the anons that are calling Creek 'unpatriotic', did you also call McCarron unpatriotic? Why is McCarron any different? they are both the same age, and if you read the article, Lemanis said that he was in communication about it very early. Get over yourselfs, and stop hating just to hate, when your knowledge is zip.

Reply #682055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron and Creek both should never wear the green and gold again.

Reply #682063 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Re Johnson and the Comm Games team ... seems replacements have to come from the squad named quite some time ago, so Johnson [sadly] is not an option. Maybe next time. He has certainly come a long way mentally in the past couple of months, if his performances with the 36ERS are any indication.

At the beginning of the NBL season there is no way I would have given him a place on the team. After what I saw in the second half of the season I'd rate him ahead of most of the options available, including Hodgson and Andersen, and with those two out he would definitely be a 'must' for me, but apparently he's not in the named squad, so Walker it [very sadly] is.

Reply #682067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Bogut? Never again? simpleton

Reply #682069 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Salty #063.
Its professional basketball you only get one chance in a limited timeframe to make the most of your career opportunities.

Reply #682073 | Report this post

hopscotch 35  
Years ago

Awww, I enjoyed his "strike while the kettle is hot" tea reference
*facepalm*

Reply #682083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Its professional basketball you only get one chance in a limited timeframe to make the most of your career opportunities."

Exactly. So let him play professional basketball instead of international basketball. Not rocket science. His pockets > his country. If only our soldiers had the same morals, we would all be so safe, right?

Screw Mitch Creek, and screw Mitch McCarron.

Reply #682086 | Report this post

Yo Yo  
Years ago

What about all those NBA guys choosing money over Commonwealth gold, cant wait to boo them come the world cup.

Sidenote , people are stupid

Reply #682087 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

That's a bery stupid comparison.

Reply #682088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were they already committed to play, then bailed out to line their own pockets, or was the commitment in place prior to the selection? They were already unavailable, these two made themselves available and then bailed afterwards. Hardly comparing oranges to oranges.

Reply #682089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey Udog, are Adelaide going to hoist a banner for making the grand final, or is that only reserved for regular season championships? Any parade this year?

Reply #682090 | Report this post

Yo Yo  
Years ago

Why

Lemanis is on the record as knowing Creek may not play if he gets an offer.

You will never know what Creek has turned away from already for the shot at being a Boomer.

Bogut is currently playing for who? No one seems bothered by his actions why you so bothered by something that has nothing to do with you

Reply #682093 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Ah yes, I see. Demerit points from the whole speeding Facebook thing.

Haha, likening war to basketball. The bow is long.

Blacksmiths don't smith kettles, my dear boy. The club's media personnel didn't pick that up?

Reply #682099 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Fully support Creek's decision. The Commonwealth games probably carries the less weight of any international basketball tournament that the Boomers play in.

Asian region games are important for qualification for Olympics/WC. The only other international games are really the Olympics and WC which are obviously the pinnacle. The Commonwealth games is essentially a 'friendly' tournament.

Frankly any criticism on a player for electing to put his career over playing for the Boomers is OTT; and then comparing it to a person choosing not to go to war is outrageous.

I see their POV on both sides of the spectrum players; i.e. (1) those players that play in the NBL don't earn enough to be set up for life and so fair enough they should want to supplement their income in Europe or afar (knowing their career time is limited). (2) those players that play in the NBA are obviously comfortable and set up for life but they earn too much that they have to show (rightly so) loyalty to their NBA team and acknowledge that team's investment on them.

Reply #682175 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Apparently there was an administration issue with DJ and he couldn't be selected as a replacement player. Not entirely sure what/how/who/when made the oversight.

Reply #682184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How would Sixer fans feel if he left Adelaide half way through the Perth series to take him a higher paying gig in Germany? Oh, you would be up in arms? He couldn't because he had made a commitment? You'd feel he was bailing on your team? Exactly the same thing, sans the contractual obligation with the Aussie Pels.

Reply #682234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ was not in the selected squad of 24 players.

All those 24 players were required to fill out Commonwealth Games athlete accreditation to be able to play in the games, enter the athletes village and generally have access to any of the facilities. There were a number of ASADA processes all players and officials (staff) had to complete prior to a certain date also.

Hence why BA had to choose from the pool of players who had accreditation to play.

Reply #682252 | Report this post

Yo Yo  
Years ago

@anon where was the commitment if both parties knew that it was unlikely he would play

Reply #682255 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Anon #234, that's an awful comparison and isn't even close to the same thing.
If he left halfway through the Comm Games after playing the first couple of games, that would be the same thing. He's pulled out before the Games started, giving Australia time to replace him. And good on him too, the CG is a farce.

Reply #682258 | Report this post

BMF  
Years ago

Commonwealth games are a nothing comp, and any player worth his weight would go play pro over it!
No different to the NBA players not being available to play.

Reply #682321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which club?

Reply #682326 | Report this post

NannasAlwaysRight  
Years ago

Always says, want to play for Australia, wants to represent the country, makes dad happy blah blah blah.
full of shite.
money. money, money and personal glory

Reply #682344 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Is there a more meaningless international basketball tournament than the Commonwealth games? The outrage in this thread is hilarious.

I'd much rather Creek go improve his game overseas and maybe help the Boomers in the Olympics or World Cup down the track.

Reply #682352 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Creek's at the top of his game (so far) and this might be the best chance he has to proof himself at another level with a view to getting an NBA gig. It's up against international representation, but the Commonwealth Games are not exactly the Olympics or World Champs.

This could well be a critical point in his career and life so he should take the opportunity while it's there.

Gives someone else an opportunity to step up too.

Reply #682354 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I don't think you need to step up very much in the Commonwealth games. No USA. No Euro teams. No notable Asian countries. Canada, Great Britain and NZ would be the only decent teams.

Reply #682364 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I know the women's national title holder in shot put and discus and she said she never bothers about the Commonwealth games, even this year with it in Australia she has different priorities that she rates higher. There are probably a lot of athletes who don't bother with it.

Reply #682365 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

If any of these people being salty in regards to Creek going overseas are Adelaide supporters that is very disappointing.
Wouldn't you want the best for the players in your team.
The teams Australia will face at Comm Games are laughable except for NZ.
Most of Canada's best players are in NBA.

Reply #682371 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If any of these people being salty in regards to Creek going overseas are Adelaide supporters that is very disappointing.

It's only Mock and an anon and no doubt that anon is the same one that trolls every 36ers related thread.

Reply #682373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which Bundesliga club?

Reply #682374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looked it up. BG Göttingen. "Germany" is so vague.

Reply #682375 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Well done anon

Reply #682381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Germany" could be anything - top division, second division, third division etc. any any one of a hundred or so teams in their basketball pyramid.

Reply #682383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and any*

Reply #682384 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Good for him to stay sharp ahead of pressing for an NBA contract in summer league.

The German BBL is a pretty similar standard to the NBL, not quite the same depth through the comp with 18 teams in it but still very good, so it will be a good test for him in a bit of a different style of ball.

Reply #682387 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Germany :)

Reply #682396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of Canada's best players are in NBA

Duh, so are Australia, New Zealand and whatever other countries. As well as European leagues, just like Creek.

Are they all money hungry traitors???

Reply #682399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yes they are. especially simmons. so greedy and traitorous. shame on him.

Reply #682403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is not an NBA talent. How many layups did he blow during the NBL Finals? Have to execute to be successful.

Reply #682406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the CG team won't miss him then since he sucks so much.

Reply #682407 | Report this post

Mimas46  
Years ago

I wish they'd update the CG website that still shows Creek etc in the team.
Authors of the articles, who list the players, should correct them. Guessing the programmes are all wrong too.

Reply #682435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek didn't give them a ton of time

Reply #682441 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Most of Canada's best players are in NBA

Duh, so are Australia, New Zealand and whatever other countries.
How many NBA players does NZ have? One or two?

Reply #682486 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Creek didn't give them a ton of time"

Well, Lemanis says different and that he kept them in the process from the very start, hence why he is happy for Creek. But keep talking shit.

"Creek is not an NBA talent. How many layups did he blow during the NBL Finals? Have to execute to be successful."

Hey, everyone. Apparently NBA players never-ever blow lay ups or have a bad game!

""Germany" could be anything - top division, second division, third division etc. any any one of a hundred or so teams in their basketball pyramid.

"

Well the team and league he is going to has already been specified, so try to keep up.

"
Always says, want to play for Australia, wants to represent the country, makes dad happy blah blah blah.
full of shite.
money. money, money and personal glory"

I am going to guess you get by in life by exchanging patriotic deeds with people. You're clearly an absolute moron.

Reply #682490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Well the team and league he is going to has already been specified, so try to keep up."

No, it wasn't. Until I posted it.

Reply #682536 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Well done :)

Reply #682537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #682538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So he's turned down a possibly once in a lifetime opportunity to represent his Country, for a few extra weeks in Germany. Hmm, that's pretty much the definition of unpatriotic.

Doesn't make it "wrong" but yes, by definition it means he's more interested in his profession than representing his country.

What would your opinion be of an Athlete who turned down a real chance at a Gold Medal, because he could make more money laying bricks?

Seriously, some of you Adelaide fan-boys need to rid yourselves of the notion that your shit doesn't stink like everyone else's.

As for those saying "The Commonwealth Games isn't the Olympics or World Champs" all I can say is that you need to close your computer right now, get out of your barker-lounge, unplug your TV and rejoin the real world.
Maybe 1% of the country even know basketball has a world championship, whereas the Commonwealth Games is the biggest sporting event on the Australian Calender.

Reply #682608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ LOL what a waste of a whole lot of words

Reply #682615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lmao, biggest event on Australian sporting calendar. It won't out rate the afl, there’s a World Cup in a few weeks, now that’s where viewer ratings are.

Reply #682617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TV ratings would be well down the list of things players would and should care about when deciding where to play.

Reply #682620 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Dammit! Why aren't people caring about the biggest event on the Australian sporting calendar! Ha ha ha! Probably because there's better and more interesting things to do.

Reply #682643 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Sounds like the Canada game was mega exciting and full of star Canadian players from the sounds of things.

Reply #682645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a tremendous contest. Easily the biggest thing on the Aussie basketball calendar!!

Reply #682647 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

David Barlow has now signed in NZNBL with Hawkes Bay and will play along side Jarrod Kenny and Angus Brandt.

Reply #682701 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"So he's turned down a possibly once in a lifetime opportunity to represent his Country, for a few extra weeks in Germany. Hmm, that's pretty much the definition of unpatriotic."

A "once in a lifetime opportunity", what, to bully teams that barely even play the game? Why aren't you bashing Mitch McCarron right now for the same thing?

"Doesn't make it "wrong" but yes, by definition it means he's more interested in his profession than representing his country."

Well there's a difference between representing your country against real competition and putting on the jersey against glorified social teams. Do you call Lebron James un-american for opting out of the world cup qualifiers. I bet not!

"What would your opinion be of an Athlete who turned down a real chance at a Gold Medal, because he could make more money laying bricks?"

Well if that gold medal was basically a given and amounted to a participation trophy due to the level of competition, I'd tell him to go lay those bricks and we'll give him a call when the REAL games start.

"Seriously, some of you Adelaide fan-boys need to rid yourselves of the notion that your shit doesn't stink like everyone else's."

Well Mitch McCarron has just taken the same shit, yet you seem unable to smell it.

"As for those saying "The Commonwealth Games isn't the Olympics or World Champs" all I can say is that you need to close your computer right now, get out of your barker-lounge, unplug your TV and rejoin the real world.
Maybe 1% of the country even know basketball has a world championship, whereas the Commonwealth Games is the biggest sporting event on the Australian Calender."

And even then no one knows or gives a real shit about the Commonwealth Games outside of a handful of sports. No one is going out of their way to watch Australia's C team take on Nigeria's. Don't try to compare the importance of a basketball world cup to the commonwealth games. One is way, way more prestigious in the basketball world. By your logic, Mitch Creek should put more stock in singing for One-Direction than basketball because it will draw him more notice. Anyone who thinks the Commonwealth Games is worth shirking real money over is a joke. We could send in a SEABL team and still win the bloody thing.

Reply #682705 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

The Triple M sports show on the radio this morning was actually talking about how people don't give a shit about the Commonwealth games anymore.

Reply #682780 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:41 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754