BigTime
Years ago

Call for a comeback!!

I would like to call for a comeback for the following umpires due to the amount who have quit for different reasons.

Robert Hooper
Amy Rohrlach
Andrew Potter
Michelle Dyson
Brendan Kellaway
Andrew Polkinghorne
Daniel Haebich
Tristan Graham
Donna Miller
Mark Lemaistre
Brad Hosgood
Tarmo

I know this has been said before, but if anyone knows these people maybe you can talk them in to coming back maybe one night per week to start with

for the good of the game

maybe you know others who have walked away from the game

there are some good young refs coming thru fresh, no doubt but there a lot of good ones who have quite. some of them quite recently

Topic #4304 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would they come back? The crap they put up with, im surprised they get anyone at all!

some good names in that list though.......

Reply #49975 | Report this post

BigTime  
Years ago

because the better ref's can put up with stuff a bit better. good comunication skills and a thick skin!!! is required

Reply #49979 | Report this post

G -Train  
Years ago

Why should any umpire have to put up with the backchat and the constant questioning of their integrity by some kid who doesn't even know the rules in the first place? Even some ABA players don't know the rules of the game.

Reply #49981 | Report this post

BigTime  
Years ago

In juniors, I guess there should be low tolerence, however I am talking about Aba refs. Players and coaches are always going to want to communicate with officials during the game.

Abuse would be dealt with anyway with Tech Foul or worse.

I cant see why refs of this level would quit because of abuse.

Reply #49982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how would you like it if players, coaches and supporters were consistently putting you down game after game. After a while you get sick of it. You could be the best ref and people will still have a go at you

Reply #49986 | Report this post

Quiet one  
Years ago

I am pretty sure Tristan Graham is in Ceduna for work reasons.

Reply #49987 | Report this post

BigTime  
Years ago

anon my point is that I don't believe any of the above refs mentioned would have quit because of abuse.
I agree with you that there is too much complaining and some umps would get sick and tired of it eventualy.

Refs like Daniel Haebich, Amy, Brad HOsgood, Andrew Potter and Rob Hooper have all quit recently and I am sure it is nothing to do with abuse.

so maybe they would come back if they miss it.

Reply #49990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My fault (post 49975) i probably missed the intended point of this thread.

Yes, it would definitely be nice to see some of those guys back.

Perhaps it comes down to. "If the pay is peanuts - youll get monkeys".

Not saying any of the current refs are monkeys exactly - but - they obviously ref for the love of the game, perhaps raising the dollars, will attract refs who will do it for the cash, not just the love.

Reply #49995 | Report this post

spanish star  
Years ago

I have it on good authority that Donna Miller is bashing around in a padded cell somewhere ranting about past basketball ref camps.

Not sure she could move her way up and down the court these days either.

Reply #49997 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

I don't know these people by name, but agree that they probably had other reasons for not continuing to ref. On the financial side, did or do the BASA refs have season or regular tickets to sixers games for themselves and a friend issued to them as a condition of employment so to speak. Would a little thing like that go a long way to rewarding those who contribute to the competition?

I spoke to a ref the other night, they said they did not know which games were scheduled until players turned up on the night, nor did they have any idea who had been contacted to ref these games, and that this is becoming a regular occurance.

Through the help of all of us on this site, is there any way we could be proactive and assist the competition at any level to enhance the coordination and communication between clubs, referee's and the association?

thoughts please...

Reply #49998 | Report this post

BigTime  
Years ago

the newish co ord for refs is doing a good job - neal poulton and is comunicating with the refs of all levels. it will take time for him to improve in these areas

what is needed is more officials. not just level o's though.

we need some more experienced refs to keep the standard up from Aba down to juniors.

thats why I am saying that retaining some past refs would be a good start, even if they do one night per week.

Reply #50002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few of these referees have stepped away from Basketball for the reason of their full time working career which puts the bread on the table. They may come back in a few years time when the bread is baked.

However, there are some refs in this list that stepped away for a number of different reasons from player/coach/spectator abuse, nil support from BASA and the tribunal system (which is a very big point that needs to be resolved), little communication, some refs see the door to advancement close quicker than they want it to, and very low pay to boot.

Maybe, some of them got where they were going too quickly and walked away because they couldn't handle the toughness of the communication from all angles (i personally think that this needs to be addressed with officials to help them develop the thick skin). The good officials take in their stride and deal with it - they stick around, their love for the game is bigger than that. If this is the case, then those referees may never want to come back as they will love other things.

What BASA can control is the pay (incentive) structure, support (incl tribunal, learning and development and social aspect (a lot of past referees would go out and referee just to have a hoot of a time with their fellow referee mates.

There are many reasons why referees quit. Some will never come back because they never had it in them anyway and don't love the game or miss the game as much as they should. Others won't come back simply out of principle of how they were treated in the past.

I think, those that are lost due to the above, maybe lost for good - that is something for everyone to think about next time there is a tribunal, or next time the pay and incentives are being reviewed, or next time a know-it-all coach or spectator chases a referee in to the car park calling them a cheat etc.

So, best case scenario is to focus on the stocks that we have now and the referees coming through. Treating each one of them like your own and making it a more pleasant environment overall. Basketball from all angles needs to be a more pleasant environment for everyone.

This is no different to how a player may feel when considering when to stop playing or switch sports. How many make it back to Basketball ???

Reply #50004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why come back when you get to a tribunal and the player comes with a lawyer

Reply #50008 | Report this post

Go O  
Years ago

ANON 50008 are you a past ref who was unhappy, if so share with us more.

anon 50004 good post, wouldnt a coach who chases a refere in to the car park be reported and dealt with harshly for that????

Reply #50009 | Report this post

S  
Years ago

I can tell you for a fact that Rob Hooper is umpire in charge and reffing at the Salvation Army Comp held on Monday nights at the dome.

As for if he / the others would come back... maybe no-one has actually asked them.....

I would like to be wrong on that front tho.

Reply #50012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Amy and Brad might come back. both are good refs, rob hoooper might be a outside chance also because he still refs for salvation army basketball.

the others have mainly quite because of polotics from people who are not involved anymore but i agree it may be too far gone for some of these.

new refs who have steped in to replace include

matt coombe
luke smith
vanessa devlin
bruce northcote
mike gibson
chris mcdonald

I reckon Daniel haebich might ref again along with tristan graham if they returned to adelaide for work.

based on this, basa could have a aba line up like this:

geoff weeks
phil haines
caroline tsakalos
andrew filmer
nathan wieland
nathan durant
wayne maidment
john clover
tristan graham
brad hosgood
robert hooper
amy rohrlach
daniel haebich
neil bridgeman
andrew just
paul welbourn
mike gibson
bruce northcote
daniel hughes

and then other refs to challange for a game would include the new refs
19 very good experience refs on the top pannel in sa would be almost as good as victoria.

all that needs to happen to make this work is convince weeksy, carroline to ref aba - maybe 50% of games, and get amy, brad, hooper, tristan and daniel back.

i guess even with this group people will still complain about the standard of refs, but hey thats normal.

at least they would be experience to handel it and the young ones can break in slowly.

Reply #50013 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Who would want to be verbally abused by Paul Mesecke all the time. He is always right even when wrong.

Reply #50035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why if you are weeksy & carolyn want to ref aba it is like you can't get maher etc to play aba

they need a break they have achieved the highest level and there are ONLY so many hours in a the day

it is like the aba refs who don't do juniors anymore there are only so many hours in a day, days in week
do too much and you burn out.

besides when you get as old as geoff you need time to recover ;)

there is a well known aba coach who chases refs into car parks, harangues them in bars bails up evaulators and calls the umpires cheats - or is that a cheapshot

Reply #50037 | Report this post

BigTime  
Years ago

fair enough, I agree Geoff and Cazza have done there time and deserve to scale down there commitment to Aba games.

Nice to have them help out toward the end of the season so they can prepare for Nbl.

Regarding Paul Mesecke, he has been around a long time and I would have thought he should have learnt to control his temper. Maybe one of the refs should report him if he is constantly over the top oterwise he will continue to get away with it.

Reply #50154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a question. How can it be suggested that the top referees shouldn't have to do ABA games?
Can you imagine Maher as alluded to or any other NBL player for that matter playing for 7 months and then taking 5 months off and be expected to maintain the same level?
It is easier for a player to maintain fitness and get a reasonable level of training in the off-season, most NBL teams only have a 3 month layoff and no players take this whole time off (if they want to be any good!). Unfortunately for the refs the only way for them to hone their craft is the ABA, unless theyre reffing at major international tournaments and that obviously is a different story.
I have always thought NBL referees should be given the appropriate amount of time off and then be REQUIRED do some ABA games to keep a reasonable level of reffing going, it certainly wouldn't hurt them.

Reply #50166 | Report this post

Not a fan  
Years ago

now that Paul M is back coaching Stu rt perhaps we will see an influx of umpires returning to the game......
Nah seriously on a more recent note, which umpires who have retired in the last few years could make a comeback in order to add more experience to the current group of umpires.

Tristan Graham
Daniel Habich
Michelle Dyson
Dan Hughes
Chris Clarke

I think there needs to be more qualified umpires in the ABA which will create compattion, because there are two many rookies getting a go

I am not knocking the umpires because I have done it myself but
that's what I think, what about others?

Reply #274153 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:16 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754