Isaac
Years ago

Kings retain Dane Pineau on one year deal

Topic #43042 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing. He showed a lot of promise towards the send of the season.

Reply #682363 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, made real strides the last third of the season.

Reply #682391 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see which party wanted only one season. I'd be wrapping him up on a longer term deal than that if it was amicable.

Reply #682393 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Well deserved indeed... he made the most of his limited minutes and came on great at the tail end...

Reply #682394 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Smith, Pineau signed a 2 year deal with the Kings, the second year was a team option which the Kings have now picked up.

Reply #682404 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I heard somewhere (maybe on the Ruckus podcast...?) the Kings organisation were only offering one year deals to players out of contract.

I have seen no evidence of this but thought it was interesting if proven to be true. Anyone heard something similar/contrary to this?

Reply #682409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be interesting to see how he does in the SEABL.

Reply #682476 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Thanks Zodiac. Hopefully they play him more next season.

Reply #682484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they are only giving out one year contracts because owners are getting out if kings still a basket case at seasons end.

Reply #682494 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If there is indeed a new team coming in soon and not at the expense of Illawarra, you would want to be locking up players before it becomes (increasingly) a player's market.

Reply #682496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee gone.

Reply #682498 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

This smacks of lack of foresight and it wouldn't be surprising, but Pineau DID have an option year, and not sure when it would have expired (same time as Randle?) so not sure if it was taken up or they waited and negotiated a single season as nothing has been announced as yet...

Cadee gone.

Based on...?

Reply #682504 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cadee walking wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, but we'd need to get someone like Nick Kay to man one of the front court positions and recruit a combo guard 6th man like a Ramone Moore (or Moore-lite).

Reply #682508 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yeah I agree it wouldn't be the end of the world, but I think would be more a reflection on the management as well, because JvG mentioned already that they're in negotiations with him and letting another Sydney boy go, especially one that is capable of exciting the crowd and being really recognisable in the community, would be a red flag for me...

Retaining him would also actually add some actual depth to the Kings bench and back court, which would be a really nice change for them... I wouldn't be surprised if they did let him go that they'd expect Tom Wilson or someone to step up into his role and then go bargain for that fourth guard spot, expecting also to have Newls fill in at guard and play him with Blanch as well... Isn't a terrible idea, but I don't like going light on in the backcourt again...

I agree wholeheartedly about chasing Kick Kay and HARD... He's for mine more key than anyone else going around on the free agency market for the Kings at least, other than maybe Tai Wesley, who would probably have a larger price tag?

Randle* | Wilson
Lisch | Cadee/Hooley?
Newls | Blanchfield
Wesley | Jois | Pineau
Kay | Import 5?*

Fills a lot of gaps from last season on effort and skillsets and leaves an import slot up their sleeves as well...

Wouldn't mind also if Dennis gets the Cairns job and Blanchfield would prefer to get a release to go back up north and play for him to let him go, either...

Reply #682512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings might be expecting Randle and Lisch to play the majority of minutes at guard.

With Wilson signed as a shooter, a cheaper and more defence oriented back up might be in their sights.

Despite Jason's ability to sometimes light up offensively, his presence on a team doesn't appear to correlate with success.

If the Kings are to build a winning culture they need some guys who have the mental strength and proven record of success. A healthy Lisch is a start.

Reply #682514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is from Sydney but was never a kings fan, was always part the razorbacks. I'm hearing he’s waiting till after com games to see what’s on offer here and abroad. I believe the kings would like cadee back but don’t want to pay overs plus would prefer a larger guard with Lisch and Randle being smaller type guards.

Reply #682519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is streaky as hell, doesn't play a lick of D and has never been a winner. He is talented, that is undeniable, but he's not looking to be a third guard which is what he is on a team with a healthy Lisch. He wants to be a starter and be paid starter money. I actually feel like he's an ideal backup for the Kings, but not at the money he's after.

Reply #682527 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Can't disagree with any points in the last couple of posts in any way, I just think that he has a bit more added value to the team... Wouldn't blame him if he wanted a proper starting gig, and if he's willing to trade team success for slightly more money and the title of a starter, than he's not the player the Kings need tbh...

For the Kings to get back on track, they need depth and quality, not just in skills, but in character that puts the team first... Putting the team first and getting wins reflects on all contributors and if someone would prefer to be called a starter on a more average team than a solid contributor on a winning, playoff-bound, potentially Grand Final playing team, then good luck to them...

As someone who has had Lisch crash into him at a fairly decent speed as he was chasing down a ball going out of bounds, I can vouch for him being plenty big enough... I agree having at least one of the backup guards being a quality lock down defender would be awesome as the Kings still just can't have Kevin out there being the only decent backcourt defender...

Reply #682562 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Cadee did improve defensively towards the end but nowhere near the level that would've made him irreplaceable on that end. Sure he is nice to retain for reasons such as chemistry & familiarity but sadly he is a luxury to retain as main backup guard if he's asking for too much.

They could always look for an affordable import replacement at his position if need be. Plenty of those compared to affordable stud bigs.

Kings far more in dire need of a pair of experienced starting bigs. Last season's decision to pass on Truck certainly should be reviewed. Gambled on Humphries & where are you now?

Reply #682583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine the kings had truck and Moller in the season just gone, team first guys who defend. Moller now with a championship ring and averaged 15 minutes per game. Both good rebounders as well.

Reply #682587 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Pineau vs Moller is decision is about as good as keeping Gaze vs Vickerman. Pineau = soft fouls, no outside range, and poor basketball IQ. No doubt a "good guy" like gaze, but is this the right decision?

Reply #682655 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Pineau is a great test for how much people pay attention I reckon. A really important player for this team who defends well, rebounds, understands the game and perhaps most importantly doesn't need the ball.

Reply #682660 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

"defends well" hahaha. Slow, soft fouls and no match for any of the aussie bigs.

Reply #682662 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:48 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754