CT
Years ago

Nigeria vs. Scotland

Doubt anyone in Australia who wasn't at the Cairns Convention Centre caught any of this, but for me this was the match of the tournament so far. The Scottish boys came out firing and hung on at the end for a hard fought, competitive win.

Not sure if it's true or jot but the story I heard from the guy next to me was that the Scottish teams were put together on a budget of 80k, compared to the 4 million spent on the English who were knocked out 2 hours beforehand by the Canadians.

They also got piped out of the athlete's village by a bagpiper before the game apparently.

Topic #43075 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wasn't at the Cairns Convention Centre, but did catch it via the app, at least the latter part of the game.

Agree it was a great game and when Nigeria hit the late three it added to the excitement!

Reply #683286 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The opening five minutes was incredible. 12-9 with the teams combining for 7/8 from three.

Reply #683293 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I was expecting Scotland to be terrible coming into this, but they actually have a balanced team and some talent. A couple of them wouldn't look out of place in the NBL.

Reply #683295 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Congrats to the Scottish team and what does this say about Rob Beveridge as a Coach who can get players to step up.

He only had a short time to meet and prepare the team and the results have been outstanding.

Bevo has a way of getting the best out of players and this as been shown here where they will at least have the opportunity to play off for a minumum being the bronze medal which I am not sure whether they have ever gotten that far before.

They started off by defeating the arch enemy in England and progressed to where they were definitely the underdogs last night and puled ff another upset defeating Nigeria.

The coach he replaced also Coached Great Britain and was released from that position as well.

If Australia don't want Bevo as a Boomers Coach then maybe Great Britain could use him.

Good luck all.

Reply #683300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Bevo doing work with Scotland how he did when he setup Perth's dynasty (for another coach's benefit).

Reply #683353 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well,Australia get put straight through to the semi finals while the others have to play quarter finals and now Scotland who finished first in their pool has to play Australia instead of New Zealand in the semi because they don't want an embarrassing Gold Medal Game so they want Australia v New Zealand as the game.Three teams from the same pool in semi's.

What happens if Canada beat New Zealand.

Wouldn't it put the cat amongst the pigeons if Scotland were to knock off the Boomers and Scotland are being coached by the man who should possibly be the Boomers Coach if it were not for POLITICS.

Good luck Bevo and team Scotland.

Reply #683709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah once he went for the national team gig, spud Lemanis gets Boomers gig over him and spud Gleeson go his Wildcats gig. Bevo must not be good at the political side of things?

Reply #683728 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

He calls it as it is as he is genuine and his heart is in it all the way but as usual the lickers get through.

He is a world championship winning coach and look at where most of those players are now and have been for a long time.

He is highly regarded by all players he has coached and those coaches he has mentored along the way.

He takes his teams to higher levels and through tough times when even the owners try to hoodwink him and his players.

Reply #683793 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754