Anonymous
Years ago

Daniel Johnson signs 3yr deal with 36ers

The Adelaide 36ers have signed three-time club MVP Daniel Johnson on a three-year deal, which will see the star centre remain in Adelaide until the end of the 2020-21 season.

In a major coup for the club, Johnson joins Mitch Creek, Nathan Sobey, Majok Deng and Adam Doyle, who have already committed to the 2018-19 NBL season.

Johnson led the Sixers in scoring and rebounding for the 2017-18 season, averaging 16.3 points and seven rebounds per game and was named in the All-NBL First Team for the third time.

The 30-year-old Western Australian is thrilled to be returning to Adelaide for his eighth season with the club.

"It's obviously pretty special. I’ve been a part of the club for a while now and to get another three years is awesome.

“I’m pretty settled in Adelaide and it’s become home for me, so I’m just excited to be a part of the group again," Johnson said

After falling short of a championship for the third time in his tenth NBL season, the desire to go one step further was a big part of Johnson’s decision to return to the 36ers.

“The last couple of years we’ve been building some pretty successful seasons and we just haven’t been able to get over the top and get that championship, which is something I really want to do in Adelaide.

“Obviously, my teammates and coaches are people I really enjoy hanging out with and want to achieve that goal,” Johnson said.

While the pain of losing the Grand Final Series still remains, the 212cm big man is confident his team have what it takes to go all the way next season.

“I think if we bring the same group back and have one more year together, I think we’re right there.

“We showed in the second half of the season we were playing our best basketball and being one way away from winning is obviously hard, but we’ve definitely got the group that can do it if we can get most of those guys back,” Johnson said.

During the NBL off season, Johnson will play for the Forestville Eagles in the South Australian Premier League alongside teammates Brendan Teys and Adam Doyle.

https://twitter.com/Adelaide36ers

Topic #43096 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great call, holic!
LOL

Reply #683646 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

It was the best kept secret.

Reply #683648 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I wonder why a guy like Johnson actually plays basketball in the off season? How much would he be earning for his season with Forestville?

You'd think he'd want to rest up and take it easy for a while.

Great signing by the 36ers though.

Deng has serious potential. Creek and DJ are stars at the top of their game. Sobey and Doyle too- great core of consistent Australians.

Get 3 decent imports and they'll be right in the mix again.

Reply #683650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide players have had plenty of rest. Most of them started at three quarter time of game 5.

Reply #683651 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well done 36ers.

Reply #683652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sign Johnson and lose Hodgson, WIN-WIN for Adelaide.

Reply #683654 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Good move by 6ers would of been a great pick up for every other club.

Reply #683655 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Well done indeed. Its a good sign there is solid financials behind the team & commitment to a championship strategy. If Trice is available after SL, should aggressively approach him IMO. Someone of his calibre fits extremely well with what they want to run.

Reply #683657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And that's the nail in his boomers coffin.

Nvr going to play for them now

Reply #683659 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I wonder why a guy like Johnson actually plays basketball in the off season? How much would he be earning for his season with Forestville?

I think DJ usually only plays a handful of games in the local league each year he's gone overseas a few times too Iran, Puerto Rico etc.

Of more note is I think that now makes Forestville his 4th Premier League team?

Fantastic news btw!

Reply #683662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What sort of Money would he be on do u think?

Reply #683666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, what $ is this 3yr deal?

Reply #683672 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

Australian Dollars

Reply #683681 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Assuming we're losing Creek to overseas, this was a very important re-signing. 3 years is a good length too.

Reply #683683 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Good for Adelaide , unless Creek gets a better offer they will retain their core.

Reply #683684 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

Great Day, Daniel has been a great player . I am very pleased it a 3 deal . Well done to Management .

Reply #683685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At a complete guess, three years around 1.2 million.

Reply #683696 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Great to see the loyalty.

Reply #683701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

400k in NBL??
I would of thought maybe $150k max per yr

Reply #683702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#702 you are well behind the times, $150g doesn't get you cadee, Blanchfield left Melbourne for 180g. Johnson top of the tree re money.

Reply #683707 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Good news for the organisation.

Daniel fits the team's stategy and club culture perfectly, great to have him for another 3 years.

Now to keep the others.

Reply #683712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#702 you are well behind the times, $150g doesn't get you cadee, Blanchfield left Melbourne for 180g. Johnson top of the tree re money.

Then why is the league so $hit???

Reply #683714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Club culture? Whinging, soft players who try to play tough then have the biggest sook after every call yep that's a good culture.

Reply #683716 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

^ school holidays or wagging ? -- possibly suspended - that would support the continued trolling ;)

Reply #683721 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Anon...He leads by exampleon the court, plays fair, is not dirty by any stretch, doesn't talk trash, doesn't get into Social Media arguments to give the opposition ammo, has all his demerit points.

What more can you ask?

Reply #683722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 741 you'd better go back to your knitting and relax. The league is FANTASTIC!!!!!, I’m missing it already. When pre season:)))

Reply #683723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"At a complete guess, three years around 1.2 million."

*groan* Please stop guessing.

Reply #683725 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Sorry, not possible, I heard from a reliable anonymous source on these boards that he was teaming up with Gliddon and Kay in Perth.

Reply #683758 | Report this post

joe  
Years ago

i thought he was perth bound? lol

Reply #683759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much for the worst kept secret around that he was Perth bound brigade

Reply #683762 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Interesting convo about the $$$, maybe we'll find out when they release the salaries hahaha...

I think out of loyalty and wanting to put together a roster than can go one step further it would have been in the area of 3yrs/550k

Reply #683766 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

What awesome futurists we are here on hoops.

Predictions of DJ to Perth- wrong.

Salary range of $180 - $ 400 k pa.

My 2 cents: most Well-performed Australian players will stay put for only modest increase in remuneration. Only greatly improved players will want to move for more $. Only Sydney, Brisbane and Perth will pursue wholesale Australian roster changes. Some veterans will either have to take pay cuts or move to extend their careers.

Imports? A whole different story. Some teams will spend big to try to match Randle, Ware, Cotton, Felix, Prather. Others might just try for more modest recruiting to begin the season, and upgrade mid season as the last 2 championship teams did with Ware and Felix (would MU have started to click without his recruitment?)

Reply #683770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@holic RUOK?

Reply #683771 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What a load of crap about him wanting a new home.

Reply #683794 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It didn't feel like that long ago that 36ers fans were the biggest critics of DJ now you're all pushing each other out of the way to kiss his arse next...

Big get for 36ers though and well done to him

Reply #683806 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

It doesn't seem that long ago that he got shafted out of the league MVP they gave to Brian Conklin.

He has done a great job recovering his form since they opened up and drained his chest because of severe pneumonia a few years ago too.

Reply #683808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another conspiracy from Udog...

Reply #683817 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

If it makes you happy.

Reply #683832 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Do you have a valid case for Conklin not deserving the MVP?

Reply #683835 | Report this post

Joe_M  
Years ago

Considering the 2017/18 salary soft cap was somewhere around the $1.2 million dollar range,$400,000 is ridiculous.

$500,000 over 3 year would sound right.

Reply #683836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is only a pretend salary cap, plus there is the marquee player rule, Johnson is top shelf he ain't playing for peanuts. Anderson, Newley, Lisch, Goulding, Sobey etc are playing in Australia if the money no good.

Reply #683841 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

DJ was the best player in the league that year IMO so I believe he should have won. You don't have to agree with my opinion.

You know what they say about opinions. They're like arseholes- everybody's got one.

Reply #683851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yours is just usually wrong

Reply #683852 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

That's your opinion.

Reply #683854 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

You don't have to agree with my opinion.

You know what they say about opinions.

Next time, please put this disclaimer early and clearly so we know the calibre of person we are dealing with.

Reply #683859 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

You seem to think very highly of yourself.

Reply #683861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No just not much of you

Reply #683864 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I must suck when people have opinions you don't agree with. I hope you can manage.

Reply #683865 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't mind people having a different opinion.

But you said DJ got shafted, like there was no valid case for Conklin winning it.

I gave you a fair opportunity to justify your position.

You came back with 'my boy's better'.

Which is OK I guess, I'd just like to be warned ahead of time when dealing with 'such people'.

Reply #683868 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:52 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754