Reality Is
Years ago

Why is Bball in Comm Games?

Is Basketball only in the comm games so our C team can beat up on some really poor opposition team and we bag two more gold medals?

Topic #43107 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is this a topic?

Reply #684002 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Why was basketball in the olympics when the Dream Team murdered all their opponents?

Reply #684003 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was invented by a Canadian.

Reply #684007 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

It has only been at comm games twice.
Until Aust host another games it will likely disappear from games.
Timing of tournament doesn't help so it was never going to attract our top players.

Reply #684008 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Really?
We need another thread so that bitter losers can rubbish our guys achievements?

Why do we have any sporting competition?

Why is Basketball in the Olympics when the result is a forgone conclusion?
Why do white men compete in the 100m track?

Why do losers who never even won a participation award love to tear down others on public forums?

Every 4 years a bunch of pathetic whiners proclaim that the Commonwealth Games is nolonger relevant, and every time its a bigger success than ever.

Reply #684009 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Why was basketball in the olympics when the Dream Team murdered all their opponents?"

Basketball was at the Olympics well before the Dream Team murdered their opponents and it only took 1 Olympics for the world to begin to make significant ground on the USA. I don't think that is a fair comparison.

Reply #684010 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@Me - It is when your questioning why a sport is included because one country will completely dominate their opponents. As D2 states - do we stop including other sports because other countries will traditionally dominate them?

Reply #684011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is netball not in the Olympics?

Reply #684016 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Is Basketball only in the comm games so our C team can beat up on some really poor opposition team and we bag two more gold medals?

Probably, but that's pretty much the standard M.O. for whichever nation is hosting the games. It's not like it would be better to pick sports that we suck at.

Reply #684017 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Basketball is included in the Comm Games because it's one of the most popular sports in the country participation wise and I believe the host nation is allowed to include a few sports that it likes that aren't regular Comm Games sports. Which is why we included basketball this year and in 2006.

Reply #684018 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Having said that basketball will be making it's first appearance at the Comm Games outside of Australia next time in 2022 in Birmingham but only in the 3x3 format.

Reply #684019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's only in the Comm Games when the Games are in Australia so yeah it's so we can win another medal. Lol

Reply #684023 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Cricket should be in the Olympics

Reply #684029 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

So its just a gold medal fill up really.

Comparing our C Grade Team to the Dream Team is a bit of a stretch!

Can't see why it would be in the game except in Australia but not taking away from the teams for winning it.

Reply #684033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cricket should be in the Olympics"

lolwut o_O

Reply #684062 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Why was basketball in the olympics when the Dream Team murdered all their opponents?

Basketball was at the Olympics well before the Dream Team murdered their opponents and it only took 1 Olympics for the world to begin to make significant ground on the USA. I don't think that is a fair comparison.
Since the ban on professionals was dropped the USA has dominated every Olympics, and would easily go in bigger favourites than Australia into the Comm Games. So yes, given one of the OP's beefs was our dominance, it is a very apt comparison.

It is a pity there wasn't more competition for medals, but as in any competition you can only beat those who show up.
It's bizarre that the Wildcats made up a third of the team, but end of the day Lucas Walker and Jesse Wagstaff now have Gold Medals, which is a heck of a lot more than I will ever achieve.

Reply #684230 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I agree with anon' #584002...

Reply #684255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would much prefer Comm Games basketball to be 3x3 format

Reply #684377 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:58 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754