Anonymous
Years ago

U18 National Championships this weekend?

In Geelong.

I'm more interested in seeing who performs in the boys, than the girls.

Is there anywhere I can find the rosters for each team?

Who are the players to watch in these championships?

Thanks.

Topic #43111 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

All games will be good, just check out the Basketball Australia website to see who is performing. Many that performed last year as first years are back.

Reply #684081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there anywhere I can find the rosters for each team?

Reply #684083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why but It doesn't look like they have bothered with the team lists that show height and D.O.B.

Looks like a preview for each team.
First team is NT.

http://basketball.net.au/under-18-championships-and-kevin-coombs-cup-preview-nt/

Reply #684158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Victorian teams to win everything and only Vic kids will make national teams and coe. No point other teams turning up.

Reply #684182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a fantastic idea. Cant see them doing every team at this rate.
WAM in the boys to take it out over VICM in the final. Qld North to push
VICM in the girls over SAM. NSWM a dark horse to medal.

Reply #684188 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Vic county girls no good this year?

Reply #684231 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Damn if some people just don't get it, it's not just about winning, for the majority of these kids it is and will be the time of their young lives and everyone needs to take a step back (take a chill pill) and give them some freedom to enjoy this incredible opportunity...

Reply #684251 | Report this post

D-train  
Years ago

Agreed Bear. The original poster wanted names of kids when this forum doesn't allow names for U/18 even if it starts with just names in a roster type of way it always ends in sledging or parents promoting their own kid. Leave the National squads to those that have the job - the coaches, I'm sure they have a pretty good idea now who will be around the mark.
Let the kids be kids.

Reply #684261 | Report this post

chewie  
Years ago

Well said Bear and D-train.

SA metro girls will be a tough unit to beat. Any team getting a W over them has earned it. Hope the kids all have awesome, injury free champs.

Reply #684580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be a great tournament. Girls competition will be awesome. VC, VM, NSW and Qld Nth probably top 4 tho. Don't see SAM getting there, but anything could happen.
Good luck to them all.

Reply #684628 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's wrong with the wa womens program?
Never in the conversation as a top 5 team.

Reply #684635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably a lack a talent I'd say. Who have they had out West?

I know the have a girl at AIS now but who else has come through there in the last 3-4 years?

That's probably why add to that finishing 10th the last couple of 18's I think its fair to say that's why they are not in the conversation.

Reply #684638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clarke and Deegan the only 2.

In the boys.. recently
Grida, Bowen, Beard, Ducas, Jackson, Buluk, Travers, Waters.

Reply #684639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAC girls lucky to win a game. Got beaten by SA Metro by 40 a fortnight ago. Really bad group with some terrible selections

Reply #684651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every coach looks for different things they value, easy to sit back and say they got the team wrong.

I think they will be around the mark they are always at.

Reply #684652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best girls teams
Vic c
Vic m
Nsw m
Sa m
Qld n

Not a threat
Wa m
Sa c
Wa c
Qld s
Nsw c
Tas
Act
Nt

Best boys teams
Vic m
Vic c
Sa m
Nsw m
Qld s
Qld n
Wa m

Not a threat
Sa c
Wa c
Nsw c
Tas
Act
Nt

Reply #684654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No group of kids is a "bad group" when playing in any sports team, let alone representing their state at a national championships. Hope they do really well and over achieve beyond anyone's expectation, but in the end, so long as they do their best. That should be all anyone could or should ask.

Reply #684675 | Report this post

Don 'Salty' Chip  
Years ago

Is it normal practice for employees of a state's peak governing body to fill coaching positions on State Teams?

What would be the reasons for doing so?

Reply #684864 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Which State?

Reply #684904 | Report this post

Antichrist  
Years ago

Im imagining 'Salty' is referring to the WA teams. Two employees on coaching staff at 18s - 1 x head coach and 1 x assistant coach. If they're the most qualified for the position where is the issue.

My question after listening to DN on the radio show, is how does only having five or six training sessions prior to a National Championships constitute an adequate preparation. That's the talking point here I think

Reply #684908 | Report this post

Jimmy V  
Years ago

SA Country boys are the same but the coach in question is passionate and is the best qualified by a mile. His assistants are the same and they buy in to the process!

You want the best from your kids and you pay a big cost, so why not have the very best available.

Reply #684916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WC spots on the line.
Players looking to impress.

Reply #684917 | Report this post

Don 'Salty' Chip  
Years ago

Perhaps the process did not attract enough quality applications and the two employees were seconded to these positions?

Perhaps the process facilitates cronyism?

I don't know what the qualifications are of the two employees appointed however if it was based on the most 'qualified' person being appointed then shouldn't the Head Coach of High Performance be coaching State Teams?

Just because you are a Level 2 or 3 Coach doesn't mean you are the BEST person for these roles.

From my perspective, the National Championships is still a development pathway for both coaches and players (albeit high performance) and those coaches who have achieved results in the state-based junior representative competition should be recognized and rewarded with these appointments.

Just my two cents worth...

Reply #684919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who picks the coaches?

Reply #684922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All just a warm up for 2019 apparently

Reply #684927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best will shine that's for sure. Just make sure the selectors take notice this time around as Townsville was a joke for those that did well.

BA take notice and take charge!

Reply #684942 | Report this post

Don 'Salty' Chip  
Years ago

I think the coaches are selected by the High Performance Manager and possibly the Coach Development & Pathways Manager???

Reply #684960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What sort of person labels a group of young women 'a bad group ‘ and ‘bad selections' You are a disgrace , if you want to make comments such as that maybe you should have the courage to put your name to it .

Reply #684964 | Report this post

Antichrist  
Years ago

Which coaches who are achieving at wabl weren't selected Salty?

Reply #684974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW, TAS, ACT, QLD have all had staff coaching state teams before. Its not new or a lone WA thing.

I think I see why WA is in the dumps, they either spend too much time fighting each other or the people with no idea have too much say over there. I swear every thread turns into people from WA complaining about something, hahahhaaha.

Good luck to everyone involved this week.

Reply #684982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something wrong with schedule?

Qld Sth women play at 7.15pm tomorrow vs nsw metro and then play another game at 11.30pm vs sa country.

http://websites.sportstg.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=1-4101-0-472661-0&sID=60776

Reply #684994 | Report this post

Don 'Salty' Chip  
Years ago

There are 12 associations that compete in the WABL Competition therefore I don't profess to know specific coaches who are achieving at this level however suffice to say there would be quite a few. I understand the second assistant coach of the WA Metro Women's Team is an outstanding coach and has achieved sustained success - perhaps she (as a volunteer coach) could have been rewarded with the Head Coach appointment?

What I am not privvy to is 1) was she offered the opportunity & declined or 2) is she a BETTER coach than the incumbent?

As long as the selection process for coaches is open and transparent I don't have an issue with coaching appointments - particularly if there is precedence from other states of employees being appointed to these positions. I just think the current process in WA looks like cronyism and that is not good governance nor good management from a peak governing body. It becomes counter-productive.

I would like to see a process implemented whereby the Head Coach of the Team/Association that wins the U16 or U18 age group at WABL is invited to coach the corresponding age group at the following year's National Championships.

That would be a clear and transparent process and also provides a performance pathway for coaches that creates incentive, rewards effort & recognizes performance.

Fair & reasonable.

Reply #685007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not fair and reasonable at all, and makes it hard for clubs who work to develop coaches but maybe don't have the talent base to allow them to win WABL competitions to retain the coaches they develop. I'm not a WA person, but if I were moving to Perth and wanting to get involved in state coaching, and that was how the system was set up, why would I coach anywhere other than Willetton? Any coach with HP aspirations would be forced to leave their current club if they knew the age group wasn't going to be capable of winning WABL. What a ridiculous idea.

Can we go back to talking about u18 Nationals? In the boys WA Met and Vic Met should be top two in one pool with Qld N and Vic C the top in the other. If it does play out that way, there will be some great stylistic clashes come finals, with WA Met very front-court heavy and Qld N and Vic C much more reliant on their back court standouts. As good as the WA boys were for the Crocs, it's hard to go past Vic Met as the favourites given their well-roundedness.

Reply #685011 | Report this post

Don 'Salty' Chip  
Years ago

I don't agree a club like Willetton has a monopoly on the U16 & U18 age groups at WABL level however you do make a valid point. I don't think it was a ridiculous idea - just an idea.

So back to talking about U18 Nationals...WA Men to win Gold this year on the back of the Crocs contingent and some OUTSTANDING shooting guards.

Reply #685013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA Metro with a wake up call day 1

Reply #685341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA not getting much from the newcomers.
Jackson with 19 and 19 in 3/4s.

Couple of qld Sth players to keep an eye on...

Reply #685342 | Report this post

Watching  
Years ago

Vic Metro taking care of business without really getting out of first gear. Team is 10 deep with lots of rotations so should be fresher come finals.
Qld south impressing. Will see if they are for real on Wednesday against Vics.
Other side of draw is wide open. Qld north and Tasmania undefeated with vic country and nsw metro right behind them. Could be a four way draw coming out of qualifying rounds.
SA metro 0-2 and although SA country are 2-0 they haven't looked that impressive in wins.

Reply #685587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How come Wigness dnp?
Cordwell and Dennis have been huge for qld Sth.

Reply #685596 | Report this post

Don 'Salty' Chip  
Years ago

Indeed - WA Metro Men VERY disappointing in the first two rounds. As expected Crocs contingent has been outstanding but drop away pretty quickly after that. WA appears to lack a genuine point-guard without Bacus from U16 Tourney.

Couple of players there on 'potential' and 'reputation' and need to lift or be moved on...

Reply #685604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to williams from wa?

Reply #685609 | Report this post

Antichrist  
Years ago

Salty you are either an underperforming / overlooked coach who needs to get over themselves or another clueless WABL parent who spends hundreds of dollars each month on private coaching sessions for their talent-limited son, who still can't make a state squad despite your uneducated opinion.

Yes the boys haven't began the Tournament as well as they or the coaching staff obviously would have liked but the last thing they need is to see some clown from their own state laying the boot in. Show an ounce of maturity rather than just some amateurish grub-wannabe journalism putting your two cents worth in when nobody wants to hear that crap. Go back to wondering where you have gone wrong rather than criticizing others at every opportunity.

Reply #685610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rantall solidifying his place in the crocs squad. Avg 27.5 pts a game early on.
Others looking to get a call up.

Reply #685613 | Report this post

Don 'Salty' Chip  
Years ago

Sorry Antichrist - you are correct. I am both and I apologize...

Reply #685614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don 'Salty' Chip is R@ndom

Reply #685652 | Report this post

Don 'Salty' Chip  
Years ago

No I am not...

I am a passionate Western Australian who is frustrated at our lack of success at Nationals when we are clearly developing the individual talent to be successful at this level.

Even with our less than impressive start I still think we can make a statement at this Tourney.

Antichrist is right - let's focus on the basketball...

Is QLD South's performance unexpected?

Reply #685674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Salty on acknowledging your mistake, very refreshing

Reply #685684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In fairness his nickname does include the Salty disclaimer.

Reply #685692 | Report this post

watching  
Years ago

Tasmania a bit of a surprise over Qld North last night. Team work will always prevail of Iso plays for one player.

Vic Metro starting to get going. Gave a lesson to SA Country by the tune of 71 pts. Also showing that individual stats are misleading until you test yourself against the Vic Metro defence. Running up your individual points against some of struggling teams, you quickly get a reality check...

Power Rankings:
Vic Metro (4-0)
QLD South (4-0)
Tas (3-0)
NSW Metro (2-1)
QLD North (2-1)
WA Metro (2-2)
Vic Country (2-1)
SA Country (2-2)

then the rest...

Reply #685906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qld Sth program getting better and better. Both boys and girls teams playing well.
Boys 4-0, girls 3-1.
The recently released u16 teams are stacked and will be right up there later on in the year.

Reply #685908 | Report this post

anonymouse  
Years ago

QLD definitely doing something right with their development programs. It seems like they have consistently been strong over the last 5 or so years.

SA seem to have dropped the ball. Especially with the talk about a handful of the players in the boys side that were supposed to be Aus prospects. Realistically they don't have anyone performing well enough to get a Aus gig.

Tas playing hard and getting the results.

NSW also look to have dropped off. Metro hanging by a thread.

WA Metro has underachieved so far but they may turn it around if injuries don't cripple them.

Vic Country making up the numbers literally with a couple players definitely getting the shots up...

Vic Metro a legit 10 deep with every player having started and played equal minutes. Individual stats are a bit misleading as it is very equal opportunity and some of players benefiting from the awesome defence leading to easy points.

Crossover finals can always result in a surprise, but at this stage it is Vic Metro gold medal to lose (as most years...)

Reply #685916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would you only take 8 players to Nationals. No deep bench to call upon when things going pear shape for others. Seems to be a very fixed mindset or waiting for next years top age 16's to join the 1st years from this year. Had enough of the showcasing from SA teams and want a team and state first approach. Great talent will shine through and you may unearth some unexpected talent against different opposition as other states have found in the past, a glue guy, a high iq and team maler. Sometimes that talent is not from an existing family talent pool as well. Disappointing few years but I guess there can be bragging rights for the few showcased players at National level despite teams not meeting their full potential which is the aim of Nationals isn’t it or so I thought. That can also mean a 4th in the past could have been Silver and so on. The entire team and their support deserve rewards for all their abilities and years of hard work and not treated like an extra on a movie set. Keep at it players, it’s not all on you, leadership starts with selection.

Reply #685926 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Anonymous #685926. Which state only has 8? I'm not sure what point youre trying to make. Are you complaining about a coach and selections. Post is a bit cryptic.

Reply #685983 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Tassie with another big scalp in NSMMM.They are obviously playing well and Radford doing a good job.
NSW Coach copped a tech as he can get a bit over the top at times.

Reply #686040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA Metro likely to end up regretting the game 1 loss to Qld South. No other results suggest the margin between the two teams to be as big as it was in that game, and it means the WA boys can't make the final without seeing the Vics again.

Are Vic Metro about to put up 150 against NT? 8 guys in double figures and 3 of those already with 20. Jesus.

Reply #686086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are alot of kids injured?

Some not playing every game and have been rested but some players have not played at all.

Reply #686125 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Another NSW team go down to Tassie in the womens side of things.
Tassie have picked up over the years and good to see.

NSW seem to be going a little backwoods and are very up and down.

Things have changed in recent years

Reply #686184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nsw c sliding but nsw m program is on the way up.
Tas program definitely improving with all the changes they've made.

Reply #686186 | Report this post

anonymouse  
Years ago

Wow, thought the Vic Metro v Qld South would be a lot closer than the end result. Once again Vics going with the heavy/quick rotations and not really breaking a sweat. A couple of late injuries might be a concern for them though.

So now is the question on who to pick for the upcoming Aus team. There have been players that look great against lower teams but really struggle against the Vics. And then the Vics haven't had anyone standout consistently but have been beating teams comfortably...

Assuming they take 20 players to a selection camp I would assume the below are a good chance (I guess the team that just went to China will get an invite)

Existing team:
Wigness - Qld North
Clarke - Tas
Capetola - Vic Metro
Tsapolis - Vic Metro
Wiliamson - Vic Metro
Madden - NSW Metro
Rantall - Vic Country
Herbert - Vic Country
Meakes - SA Metro
Jackson - WA Metro
Travers - WA Metro
Swaka - WA Metro

Additions:
Armstrong - Tas
Bannan - Vic Metro
Foster - Vic Metro
Tattersall - Vic Metro
Dennis - QLd South?
Bofinger - NSW Metro?
Bayles - NSW Metro?
Richards - Tas?

Reply #686349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wigness
PG? Herbert, Madden, Bayles (1 of)
Armstrong (add in)
Rantall
Travers
Buluk
Clarke
Capetola
Bofinger (add in)
Jackson
Williamson
PF/C Tsapatolis, Richards, Tattersal (1 of)

Reply #686350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Girls

Heal
Amoore
Palmer
SG? Melbourne, Riley, Poa, Lopes, Babic, other? (1 of)
Deegan
Nnopu
Rose-Smith
Potter
Fowler
PF? Fuller, Locandro (1 of)
Hollingsworth
Hannan

Reply #686353 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

NSW Metro men and women both knocked out in qtrs.

WAMM starting to put it together.

Women would be dissappointed but did they recover from last nights loss to Vic Met on the buzzer.

NSW Country girls the surprise packet of them all but having Palmer there makes a difference.

Lets see how they scout her for semis.

Reply #686415 | Report this post

anonymouse  
Years ago

Massive games by Jackson and Travers.

Not sold on Bofinger. Deserves an invite to Aus camp but not sure on making the team.

Whoever wins the Vic Metro (assuming they beat Vic Country) and the WA Metro game will be the gold medalists.

Tas likely to get thru to gold medal game but won't be able to hang with Vic Metro or WA Metro.

Aus coaches must be having a hard time comparing a player who is putting up big numbers for a team that isn't going to be playing in the medal rounds vs a Vic Metro player who is getting average numbers in a super deep team.

Question - would you take the 6th man off the US dream team who is averaging 8ppg or the leading scorer from another team that is averaging 20ppg?

Reply #686422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

coaches don't just pick players based on one tournament!

Reply #686425 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Travers reminds me of a young Joe Ingles.

Reply #686433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some kids need to go into a 6 week intensive muscle gain program if they are going to make it to worlds.

Reply #686437 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Good luck to the SA metro girls in their semi today. Look like a good chance for another medal. What happened to the SA metro boys? Lost the 9 10 playoff. Some had them as a medal chance.

Reply #686574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wa m vs qld s final in the boys.
Who would have thought...

Vic m vs sa m girls should be a good game.

Reply #686635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA is on the come up!!!!

Boys through to the gold medal game to face Qld South.

Girls playing off for 5th despite Deegan being injured all week.

Even the country boys finished 9th!

Great week for the west, congratulations to all players and coaches and go strong tomorrow!!

Reply #686642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was Deegans injury?
She's was killing it early on.

Reply #686646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sign of an improving Junior competition and improved coaching. And to think some people wanted 'the old WABL'

Reply #686648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah WABL is improving now with grading. Who was coaching the metro teams?

Reply #686649 | Report this post

R@nD0m  
Years ago

WA Metro Coaches
Men - Andrew Cooper
Women - Dave Naylor

Note though this age group hasn't had the new grading system until this upcoming season. It is improving the style of play overall though

Reply #686651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boys
Gold/Silver game - WA vs QLD S
Bronze game - VIC M vs TAS

Girls
Gold/Silver game - SA M vs VIC M
Bronze game - NSW C vs VIC C

Reply #686655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nswc men heading opposite way. in 12/13th playoff. Why were best 01s left out kicked out forced out or opted out ?

Reply #686658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simons was also m.i.a.

Reply #686659 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"WA is on the come up!!!!"

So where's the howling choir that was on here a few months ago wanting Coxsedge crucified?

Reply #686661 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

I'm not sure the WA win confirms any argument about the general state of basketball in WA.
It has always been a strong age group and Cooper nailed it last night.
This age group has come 5th at u14 nationals, bronze at 12s school boys, bronze at u16 nationals, 3 x players in crocs, and likely to win gold at u18 nationals.
So any development program may have helped but there is no doubt this age group would have been strong regardless.
If you watched the game it was obvious that Vic metro has more depth and talent but were well outplayed and definitely out coached.
Cooper exposed theVic zone and his players (forest and Mincherton) knocked down the wide open 3s. Then on the defensive end WA had done a great scout and knew exactly what the Vics were trying to do.
Well done Cooper and team, great win.

Reply #686663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

womems wa program needs a boost.
Wa men having been contributing lots of aus talent in the past 6 + years.
Wa M Women should be a top 4-6 team every tournament. Only 4 women have made national squads in the last several years. Garbin, Dennis, Pirini and Clarke. 4 youth players in 9 years of international competition. Act and tasmania have produced more.

Reply #686665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#648 this year is the first time wabl grading applies to u18s, so this team is the product of the old WABL system.........

Reply #686666 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Well done WA program.

If people were gunning against Coxsedge well you need to take a long hard look at yourselves.

It has taken time but the results are starting to show and the support from the coaches makes a big difference as well.

Good luck WAMM in the Gold Medal game.

Where to for NSW with both the Metro teams not getting the expected results and the Country girls finishing up the ladder.

Country boys certainly dissappointing.

Lets see what the High Performance coaches for Metro and Country look to do now to get improvement and will the so called boss of the coaching dept do anything to help or just prefer to sit on the back of the Kings bench this season again because it is certainly not the area to be if you want to learn how to coach properly.

Reply #686668 | Report this post

Old Dog  
Years ago

WA certainly seems to be headed in the opposite direction to SA.

Three teams outside the top 8.

Wondering how much of the SAC results indicate that the high performance coach doesn't have the time to visit country associations as he's too busy with his other job and National teams.

SA used to be the best shooting state in the country and had a style of play to suit. But now there isn't any shooting program, and all they are doing is replacing club sessions with NITP so the players are actually doing less than they used too.

These were the types of results that had the old guard appoint one of their own. I wonder were they are now? And if they are going to call for the same!!!

Reply #686679 | Report this post

Don 'Salty' Chip  
Years ago

Antichrist???

Reply #686709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great job by the minnows of Tassie to get into the finals.
Beating many

Reply #686727 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Tassie must be congradulated for where they have come from to where they are now with their program.

No longer the easy beats.

Pity some other states did not take notice and start to do some work instead of sitting back on their laurels of what use to be.

Reply #686746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who were the most surprising teams at Nationals?

The boys for me it has to be Tassie.

Any thoughts from the Women's side???

Reply #686770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nsw country finshing 4th were the surprise team.

Reply #686773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For the girls
Vic country. Four Aust players and not even close to the top two - with not so many Aust players. Got belted by SAM on both occasions -one Aust player. Is it the coach who can't get a higher level nominated super talented team up, or the Aust selectors who get talked into choosing players who just aren’t up to it when it comes to playing tough basketball? A great bunch of kids, but fell well short of expectations.

Reply #686777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would make your u17 WC squads?

Reply #686780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love to know who was in the WA team that last won in 2000. Where would you find the team lists? Quick google search didn't find anything.

Reply #686788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA Metro women were a bit of a surprise to me. Watching them play Queensland I thought they would get a hiding especially without that Suzi-Rose kid from the COE not playing but ended up winning comfortably by 15

Reply #686789 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

#686777 you do realise they had 7 bottom age players and the coach was the reigning national champ coach?

Reply #686790 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wa met men in 2000 had Alex Laughton who was an animal on the boards.
Ben tutili who was a flat out scorer plus others.

Ask Brett Coxsedge as he was the nsw coach at the time and in he grand final it was nightmare on Laughton street with I think 19 offensive rebounds.

Reply #686795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 Australian players, whether they are top or bottom age, are Australian players from this age group. I don't think the gold or silver medalists combined had 4 Australian players in this age group. I would be happy and hope to be corrected.
If you go into a nationals with that many national reps in your team, you must have high expectations, as those there, including their rivals, had those expectations of this team. I think most thought it would be an all Vic final.

Reply #686803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great for the Tassie boys and some outstanding Tassie-developed kids in the group. But crediting the amazing work that's gone into the Tassie program when they'd likely have finished in a different spot without one player whose development has never had anything to do with Tasmanian basketball is a bit rich. There are teams who finished below them through no fault of an inferior program.

Selectors should have a tough job going in to u17 worlds. The three WA boys obviously were outstanding, but probably only two others from the Asia Cup team looked like automatic selections. It would be nice to see a bigger camp but with that improbable, my guess would be that there aren't more than 3 or 4 names added to the Crocs team and reserves from Asia.

Reply #686806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened in the mens final. Qld S destroyed WA Met in Game 1 and then it was a complete turn around. I didn't see the game but I followed the stats.

Never heard of the coaching group but they must have some idea, or just lucky.

Reply #686908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wa metro squad 2000 - was that shamus ballyntyne,mark herron,matt burston,brent hobba time im not sure ? does anyone recall.

Reply #686913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who won? WA Metro?

Reply #686916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://basketball.net.au/crocs-and-sapphires-name-squads-ahead-of-fiba-under-17-world-cup/

Reply #687403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 19 boys chosen is right on...

Locandro and Rose-smith are very unlucky not to make it over others in the girls imo.

Reply #687406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Richards in the men either...

Reply #687407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd go with...

Wigness/Armstrong/Madden
Travers/Rantall
Buluk//Bofinger/Clarke
Capetola/Tattersall
Jackson/Williamson

Heal/Amoore/Scanlon
Palmer/Porter
Nnopu/Potter/Deegan
Fowler/Hank
Hannan/Hollingsworth

Reply #687408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Capetola is a 1/2
Not a 4

Reply #687424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More like
Wigness/Armstrong
Capetola/Buluk
Travers/Bofinger/Dennis
Jackson/Bannon/Jones
Williamson/Green

This team will still be so undersized in the 4/5 positions.. based on the squad announced.

Possibles; Clarke/Tattersall

Hard to believe they missed out on this squad;
Bayles & Crowe as well as one of the 6'10 guys...

Reply #687425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Capetola played mostly the 4 in fiba u16 in the final 2 games.
Teams are much smaller in Asia.
Wigness, Buluk, Travers, Capetola, Jackson were the 5.

We don't have the size so we will aim for speed no doubt.

I don't think Clarke or jones are better than others listed even though one goes to global acdemy and the other went to Albert Schweitzer tournament.

Tsapatolis, Bannan, Tattersall, Meakes, Green to battle it out for 1 spot.

Reply #687427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Locandro and Rose-smith are very unlucky not to make it over others in the girls imo.

Who should they be there instead off?? Squad looks pretty solid to me

Reply #687434 | Report this post

anonymouse  
Years ago

With the last Crocs team just getting back from the tournament about a month ago it meant that all 12 were automatically invited.
In reality there were 4 players in that team that shouldn't be there for this next selection as they were shown to not be in the top 20 at the latest u18 nationals.

Armstrong, Bannon, Tettersall definitely should be there and will likely make the team.

The additional 3 players added are arguably 'lucky' to be invited and probably comes down to the difference in personal preference from the coaching staff.

A tough selection though given some players looked like superstars when they were winning by big margins.

Reply #687483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see 4 changes.
Might be different when there head to head in camp though.

Wigness
Armstrong > Herbert
Madden
Rantall
Travers
Buluk
Capetola
Bofinger > Clarke
Jackson
Tattersall > Meakes
Williamson
Bannan > Tsapatolis

Reply #687489 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

U are spot on apart from Clarke.

There is no way that he doesn't make the team. He was a starter until injured at the last tournament, and other factors apart from ability means he is selected.

Reply #687492 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:27 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754