Dome Rat
Years ago

Lemanis poaching Boomers under contract?

There is a very pungent smell about Lemanis' recruiting

Wright has made his thoughts known about contracted players being directly approached mid season

Gliddon now signed with Cadee to very likely follow

NBL needs to step in a make sure the rules of the league are being followed

Of course Kestleman wouldn't be stacking the Bullets to get them to play offs to make them more desirable in a sale. Why would you say that I wouldn't say that

Never mind

Topic #43119 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is shit. He sucks so hard. He is terrible and so overrated. Blah blah blah.
Nek minit OMG he got poached. Lemanis breaking the rules to build a megateam. Brisbane got Cadee they gonna be stacked. LOL

Reply #684266 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Never said Cadee is horrible. I am of the view he offers quite a lot

Reply #684267 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Too many stupid conspiracy theories.

"There is a very pungent smell about Lemanis' recruiting "

Trying to make your wooden spooner team better? Yeah, that definitely stinks. Who cares if he spoke to players during their Boomers stints? It's not like he gave them secret funds and nights with hookers for their signature.

"Wright has made his thoughts known about contracted players being directly approached mid season "

Love Joey, but let's be real, he's been known to have a good old fashioned whinge any time things don't go precisely his way.

"Gliddon now signed with Cadee to very likely follow
"

Oh no. The whole competition is over now that those two very average guards are going to Brisbane.

"Of course Kestleman wouldn't be stacking the Bullets to get them to play offs to make them more desirable in a sale. Why would you say that I wouldn't say that "

And here comes the tin foil hats, people. You have no evidence upon which to make that assertion but you do for some bizarre reason. Cadee and Gliddon does not a stacked team make. You're just going to pretend everything that happens anywhere ties back to Larry somehow. You're a halfwit.

Reply #684271 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Always happy to see a Boomers or Opals coach using their contacts to stack their local team with Australian rep players, its far FAR better than a Boomers or opals coach using their contacts to stack their Australian team with their local teams' players .
:)

Reply #684273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be a little suss if they nab a number of guys Lemanis gave pretty big roles to over the last 12 months (Gliddon, Caddee, Hodgson, etc), especially with a couple like Hodgson and Caddee questionably selected over others arguably more deserving at the time and getting a fair bit of court time.

Part of some master poaching scheme to groom them into signing with Brisbane? Maybe. But realistically Brisbane may have just offered them the best deals and they didn't mind playing under Lemanis.

Reply #684275 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Just live with the fact that Boomers coaches will have an inside view on any of their representative players. Goorjian had it. Lindsay Gaze had it. Anyone who has ever coached Boomers and an NBL team has had it. This is not special.

Reply #684278 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

Why wouldn't you want to play for the boomers coach?

Reply #684280 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Is it just me or did it seem that a lot of Boomers fringe players were very keen to play for Goorjian too when he was Boomers coach?

Reply #684309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure why you would want to play for a team with a small support base, empty stadium and with an owner keen to sell. Goorjan and gaze in their day at least were on powerhouse NBL teams.

Reply #684313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane is going to be horrible. At least when Goorjian did it he won titles. This is all in vain. Lamenis at his finest.

Reply #684320 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

ME its a comment on how it was done now why it was done. Players being poached whilst in season and on contract is a very big issue to simply over look

Reply #684330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Goorjan and gaze in their day at least were on powerhouse NBL teams."

Que? Why is Lindsay Gaze even mentioned in this thread?

Gaze coached Boomers and NBL at the same time twice - 1984 Olympics and 1994 World Champs.

The 1980s Tigers were hardly a powerhouse. They didn't make finals in 1984, with an 11-13 record. Their best record for the next 4 years was 8-16 in 1988.

In 1994 Gaze filled in as national coach for the Boomers between Hurley and Barnes. The previous season (i.e., when Hurley was still Boomers' coach) the Tigers had recruited Bradtke and had become a championship team. The only Tiger player in the Boomers who played World Champs in 1994 was Andrew Gaze. I also can't recall the Tigers recruiting Boomers or fringe Boomers other than Bradtke around that time.

Goorjian did tend to coach powerhouse NBL teams that attracted Boomers and potential Boomers while he was Boomers' coach. But not Gaze.

Reply #684358 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

^sorry - that was me

Reply #684359 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definitely not Gaze. Pre their big sponsorship deal with K-Mart Tigers were also rans.

Reply #684364 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

No. L Gaze didn't poach players using his Boomers links.

Tigers relied on A Gaze, imports and Bradtke.

I don’t think they would have ha$ room for Boomers (even fringe Boomers) on their regular rotations.

Reply #684367 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing the Gaze/Tigers "poached" (according to South Australians) was Bradtke! :P

Reply #684368 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Call me when he poaches some players I actually care about. Gliddon? Vukona? Cadee? Hodgson? I think I'll sleep perfectly well at night. It will make their team stronger but it hardly debilitates anyone else.

Reply #684380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Half the nbl Australian team plus Vukona, it'll be tougher to win in the nbl than Asia and com games. Will be fun to watch.

Reply #684381 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Australian talented is limited in this league anyway. If you have the money you do it with your imports for the most part. Sad but true.

Reply #684384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

news hodgson has signed with bullest. Lemanis has made a farce of the free agent season. Shouldnt be able to hold both roles as NBL and australian coach.

Reply #684492 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

Its a joke that the Australian Coach can go and poach Australian players from other clubs. He should be sacked immediately for bringing the game into disrepute. Shame Lemanis shame.

Reply #684502 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Whats Brisbane looking like

Bairstow?/Hodgson/??Magnay
Kickert?/Vukona
??Import/TeRangi
Gliddon/??Fullarton or Kenyon
Cadee/Gibson

So no Trice back?? Surely Cadee isnt starting?

No Jervis? Is Hodgson really an upgrade on Jervis? Minor at best I would have thought?

Does Vukona have much left in the tank?

To me if they dont bring Trice or someone similar in and have Cadee at the starting PG, unless the import SF is NBL LeBron I dont think that roster is making the playoffs or better than what Melb, Ade, Perth had this season.

If they add a Trice type to that back court, and dont over play Gibson and Cadee, it could be the best back court in the NBL and will help the team improve

I think Brisbane could end up with too many good solid average players and not enough elite talent the way they are looking so far.

Alot will depend on whether they can get a legit Aussie fit and firing like Bairstow and the calibre of imports they bring in, assuming they sign atleast 2 (id always sign 3, even if one is a back up)

Reply #684507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis taking up his player option. Local big men are being snapped up quickly.

Reply #684511 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ignoring the valid gripe that players get approached in-season, the signings were hardly upsetting fans of the past teams. Kings fans generally considered Cadee no loss, Breakers fans would be happy to swap Vukona for Wesley, Cairns fans considered Gliddon flawed and many Adelaide fans were hoping to see Hodgson gone. (I rate Gliddon and think Cadee is a useful piece on the bench.)

Could be interesting for Lemanis now if he can keep Kickert and get Bairstow fit. But what minutes is Hodgson hoping for unless he figures he can supplant a healthy Bairstow? That's already assuming Jervis is heading elsewhere?

Reply #684512 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Ok cool, so they have Jervis and Hodgson, does that mean no Kickert or Bairstow? Or leaving Magney out and having all 4 of those guys? and where does Vukona fit in that equation?

Whilst a Jervis/Hodgson C rotation next to either Bairstow or Kickert (if they just had one of them) backed up by Vukona would be OK and solid, but I wouldnt call it elite either.

Reply #684513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I find it funny that Lemanis is doing what Goorjian did when he also held the dual role of club and the national team. Except Goorjian signed players that would go close or win the title. Lemanis though with the players signed is just heading for another non-playoff run. Hahahaha, this guy is so amazing in his mediocrity without the Blackwell's money.

Reply #684542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Winning with a Boomers team was much easier back when there were only 2 imports per team

Reply #684554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or it's harder to win when what you poach isn't that good, but you still do it.

Reply #684556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's true. If you're going to select players to the Boomers for the purposes of poaching them then you should at least select good ones. The only reason Joey patted Hodgson on the back so firmly at the end of the season was because he was sticking a "poach me" sign onto him.

Reply #684559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

:)

Reply #684562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, you may think that Cadee is a useful bench piece, and you'd be right. But make no mistake, he's not going to Brisbane to be a backup to anyone. He's going there to be a starter. Lemanis will get an import three and an import 4/5 and go with an All-Australian backcourt.

Reply #684568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The all Australian back court might look good with import forwards offensively but as an old coach I new used to say, guards my bigs are getting in to foul trouble because you ain't defending.

Reply #684581 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I just can't see how Kickert can stick around in this team and expect to get the minutes he'd like with Hodgson, Vukona and potential of extra import, Jervis, Bairstow. Then you add in Magnay and Young potentially returning.

That's a lot of big men and you can only play 80 minutes/game between them all.

This roster seriously need a star small forward.

I think Cadee will start and whilst I understand the hate for JC5 and his apparel range I think he could play well and him being backed up by Gibbo (who I can't stand) will not be too bad at all.

I like the look of the juniors coming through but the roster as it sounds it will come up will be too old and they won't get much of a look in.

Jervis/Hodgson/Bairstow (until he's healthy and starts)
Vukona/Young
MVP type import/te Rangi
Gliddon/dynamic import spark off the bench
Cadee/Gibson

My prediction shocking start and make a run in new year with Bairstow returning but ultimately 6th. TOO OLD and SLOW

Reply #684633 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:18 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754