Mark
Years ago

Any Wildcats signings soon

Seems NBL teams busy recruiting. Anyone got info on possible wildcats player signings ?

Topic #43142 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope, nothing.

They don't have a real GM in charge. Not sure where they are heading to be honest, it's quite baffling.

Reply #684696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bring back the 2015/16 team

Reply #684698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh no, Cat Chat is leaking on to here!

Reply #684699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damian Martin to retire. Happy now?

Reply #684704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No signings for Illawarra either Mark.
Brisbane are busy signing everyone let's see who's left.

Reply #684713 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Emmett Naar a chance now that Perth not picking up option on Jarrod Kenny.

Reply #684715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wheres the news on Jarrod Kenny coming from ? He played well the last half of the season but at his age if we could pick up good newer talent would be better for the long term.

Reply #684724 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

NBL.com.au

Reply #684725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I signed up as a member again but that is yet to be announced by my agent.

Reply #684732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This thread is peak facebook cat chat

Reply #684744 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Not seeing anything about Kenny on NBL.com

Reply #684752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give it to the end of the week, I am sure something will be coming by then.

Reply #684755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing out Melbourne, or the Sydney kings tigers either. At least Melbourne got a premiership to show.

Reply #684760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*championship. this isn't AFL

Reply #684762 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Nick Kay is coming bro

Reply #684765 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

LOL

Why do people think there is some great rush?

It's only April FFS.

Except when re-signing existing players, which obviously isn't a priority this time, Wildcats rarely do much until Summer-League is over.

By definition, the best talent will be chasing the NBA dream or a European gig, so they will wait and see who is still available. Doesn't mean they haven't had talks.

Even assuming they want to keep Cotton and Tokyto (on the money they command) they'll both be looking st S-L/NBA opportunities and/or Europe, and their third import will come down to availability and cash.

Martin, Wagstaff, Brandt, Kenny, and Steindl are all contracted. Walker and hire will probably come down to money, and whether someone better is available.

So that leaves them one or two local spots to fill. If they're looking for either a top College grad or a returnee, then they again need to wait until after the draft/S-L/ Euro contracts.

It could be they would consider somebody like Jervis or Kay, but still need to wait for the current round of musical chairs to finish.

I guess the only thing you can really conclude is that they did not identify an existing local as a "Must have".
(Or if they did, haven't yet been able to agree terms.)

Reply #684770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny isn't contracted, they didn't pick up the team option. Good rant but it lacks facts.

Reply #684771 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

As soon as I saw the title I knew this thread would be the best one here, and it is.

Reply #684772 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

http://nbl.com.au/news/article/41525-nbl-free-agency-heating-up

Article mentioning Kenny's team option not picked up.

http://nbl.com.au/news/article/41484-nbl-free-agency-begins

Article showing Kenny as uncontracted

Reply #684776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Point guard Emmett Naar (Saint Mary's) is also expected to sign with an NBL team.

Naar, who passed Matthew Dellavedova this year as Saint Mary’s all-time leader in assists, is originally from Sydney and has received interest from a number of clubs, including the Kings.

Another interested team has been Perth, who, in a move that surprised many around the league, decided not to take up back-up point guard Jarrod Kenny’s option. The Wildcats could potentially be looking at Naar as part of a succession plan for veteran PG Damian Martin.

If Naar does end up in Perth, don’t be surprised if Kenny winds up wearing purple and gold."

Reply #684777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last time I heard the name Emmett was the last time I watched Back to the Future.

Reply #684778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last time I heard the word naar it was after asking whether the cats were going to be any good next season

Reply #684798 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Surely NBL teams can recruit college grads and imports with NBA out clauses?

Perhaps they're already doing this quietly, to avoid bad press if their signees do get picked up by NBA.

Reply #684804 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Kay is a wildcat guaranteed

Reply #684815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely they'll be announcing Gliddon's signing soon....

Reply #684820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear Kay asked to wear #9 as a part of his deal

Reply #684821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where you been #20? Gliddon announcement was 3 days ago. Signed to Brisbane for 3 years.

Reply #684846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats the joke...

Reply #684848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A series of poorly timed April Fool's Jokes will be revealed when Gliddon, Cadee, Kay, McCarron and LBJ all sign for the storied franchise.

MARK.MY.WORDS

Reply #684850 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Big news just in:
Wildcats have announced the signing of Rhys Vague to the permanent roster. 2 year deal.

http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/36800-rhys-vague-earns%20-roster-position

Cats making major moves!!

Reply #684856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol whilst fake is about as good as its been so far. I guess with Bullets having access to pre-contracted players they were able to jump on the free agents. Probably not as fast elsewhere.

Reply #684857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He joins Damian Martin, Angus Brandt, Jesse Wagstaff and Clint Steindl as contracted Perth Wildcats players for the 2018/19 season."

Might as well just hand us the title now

Reply #684858 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Wildcats have just announced Rhys Vague will be joining their full roster.

Reply #684863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard that the Cats were having discussions with Rhys Carter about a backup role. Nothing agreed to but parties will meet again.

Reply #684867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2019 championship - here we come !

Reply #684872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, the 2019 championship of the wooden spoon.

Reply #684879 | Report this post

Hank  
Years ago

Wildcats!

Reply #684896 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Interesting moves by the Wildcats.
Apparently Vague has been doing well in the SEABL? So perhaps they figure its time to make a move?
Or maybe he exceeded the away games limit??

Gotta be honest, I'm hoping/praying this means Hire is retiring, because I am really hoping for a bigger name than Vague to join the front court.

Not taking up the Kenny option is also interesting, and again I hope that heralds their intention to sign a young gun.

Reply #684903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like the Wildcats realise it's time to build for the future. This move might mean that Waxy Walker or Hire aren't returning. As others have noted, the Kenny non-option exercise would indicate a young PG is in their sights. Probably Naar from St Mary's.

Reply #684909 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Not sure why Wildcats fans are complaining

You have guys like Martin and Brandt locked in

You always sign atleast 2 stud imports and one of the better import trios in the NBL

You are rumoured to be getting Naar and Kay

Isnt that better than rushing out and signing Cadee, Hodgson and Vukona??

I know what I'd prefer

Reply #684920 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Wildcats will end up with something like

Brandt/Import
Kay/Wagstaff/Vague
Import/Walker or Hire
??Cotton/??DKD
Martin/Naar

Lock in the playoffs yet again imo, that looks very good assuming they get quality imports, which they mostly do.

Reply #684923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about someone like Cody Ellis as a back-up small forward. Would be better than Hire and unlikely to return to the Hawks After what he went through last year?

Reply #684926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree Captain Jack except they won't go with DKD and will continue with Steindl who is already signed.

Reply #684929 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Oh yea, forgot about Steindl, but he did have a forgettable season lol

So looking at

Brandt/Import
Kay/Wagstaff/Vague
Import/Walker or Hire
??Cotton/Steindl
Martin/Naar

What the hell are the Wildcats fans complaining about???

You could be the brisbane bullets and rush out and sign a bunch of over rated average players, Gliddon is the only starter out of all of them imo

Reply #684935 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

As I said way above, no rush to complain yet, still plenty of time to see what talent is available. I just hope/pray that is what they are doing. Assuming DKD is definitely gone, they have effectively brought Vague in to replace Knight. That might pay dividends in a few years, but doesn't inspire much confidence for now.
So need to see what they do with Kenny, Walker, Hire, and/or their replacements.

Upon further reflection signing Vague now just seems really weird. Wagstaff won't be around much longer, but is contracted. Walker had a great season, and would be unlucky to be dropped at this time. Is it possible they have finally lost patience with Hire?

If they don't back-flip on Kenny, they must replace him with a guard, which means the only option to further bolster the local front court is to lose Walker or Hire??
Of course the right import could also do the trick??

Still think we need somebody capable of taking on the genuine big guys.

Reply #684940 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

D2, Lachy Reid hinted weeks ago of Kay landing in Perth, there is your big man/Knight replacement solved if that signing happens

Naar, a quality young player rumoured to replace Kenny at back up PG,

Vague would be 11th man by my estimations

Reply #684941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you are correct again with vague at 11. Import 2, 3 and 5 with the above team. Don't sleep on pinder getting a dp spot

Reply #684943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weaknesses that cats need to address:
* Weak at the centre position vs Boone/Johnson types in the league. Foul prone etc. --> A Class Centre Needed like Boone
* Poor overall 3 point shooting - Not a Tokoto who cant shoot the 3 reliably
* Replacement for Martin to bench/retirement. Likely to be injured again next season so need a starter capable guard.
* Power foward to replace Knight - Kay if cats prove not to be left wanting like Gliddon
* Overall scoring depth is week
* Replacement for Walker/Hire/Wagstaff. Aging and 2 of them cant score consistently.

Also question coach ability to develop good new talent. Not been 1 player who you could say went from developement to legit star in recent years.

Adelaide and Melbourne showed that faster high scoring teams are now the new powerhouse.

Reply #684945 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

@Lachy_Reid
For those thinking @PerthWildcats management are sitting on their hands - think again - I am told Kay and Norton will wear red next season. #reidallaboutit

Reply #685028 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

#Perth WildHawks

Reply #685031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#Lachgun Reidluc

Reply #685032 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

It would make sense with Kay and Norton being teammates at Townsville, Southland NZ and Illawarra plus playing for Australia together.
Would form part of a new core.

Whether they sign Norton or Naar they were going to have to move Kenny to make room.

Hope Lachy is right.

Reply #685036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good luck Hawks with the new ownership and no players
:(

Reply #685037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton isn't that good... meh. Not impressed.

Reply #685042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"For those thinking @PerthWildcats management are sitting on their hands"

Not think but know. They did NOTHING after Knight got injured/Cooke wasn't producing. Never forget.

Reply #685044 | Report this post

Hank  
Years ago

Wildcats management produced 4 championships in 7 years. Pretty bloody good to be honest.

Reply #685045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But gave up mid-season when everything was falling apart. Even after losing 2/2 on one weekend vs. Kings and they did nothing. Lazy and apathetic.

Reply #685046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(management)

Reply #685047 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No, Hank, they are shit and the sky is falling. Don't be fooled.

Reply #685048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes they won titles but threw in the towel in early 2018. Earlier success doesn't negate the fact they did nothing once the season went sour and still had time for replacements.

Reply #685049 | Report this post

Mexo  
Years ago

Trust in Trev.

Reply #685052 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the thing - you can't. Was it only Tokoto who switched off of him or did it creep into other players?

Reply #685054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny being released is official

The Perth Wildcats will not take the club option in Jarrod Kenny's contract and have advised him that he won’t be re-signed to its 2018/19 roster.

The difficult decision was made as the club recognises the importance of building the long term future to its playing group.

Kenny arrived at the club in 2015 and went on to become one of just three Wildcats in history to win titles in their first and second seasons.
The 32-year-old played 94 games over three years and proved to be a very popular member of the team during his time with the club.
The Perth Wildcats would like to thank Jarrod Kenny for being an outstanding teammate and clubman during his time at the organisation and wish him the very best in the next phase of his career.

http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/36807-thank-you-jarrod-kenny

Reply #685439 | Report this post

Perth Wilburs  
Years ago

The signing of Devondrick Walker will be a great one. Ge signs with the Wildcats if he doesn't make NBA.

Reply #695299 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:20 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754