Topic #43158 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis and Norton to be announced next week

Reply #685106 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Perth Wildcats sign Aussie Boomer Nick Kay

The Perth Wildcats are excited to announce the signing of Australian power forward Nick Kay to a three-year contract.

At 206cm and 104kg, the 25-year-old is a big addition to the Wildcats 2018/19 line-up.

The 2016 NBL Rookie of the Year is thrilled to be heading west.

"Any time you have the chance to go to a great club like Perth it's going to be exciting. To keep that basketball dream going and the chance to win a championship one day, I’m really excited for that," said Kay.

“A big part of my decision is the culture that Perth has. The way the guys play, the club has been very successful for a long period of time and having guys that play hard and play the right way, it’ll be a great environment to be involved in.

“To be able to learn from Trevor (Gleeson) and Matt Nielsen on how I can get better is very important because that’s what I want to do - get better every year.

“I’m a guy that loves to work, loves to compete. I’ll put the hours in, that’s a big part of my game, and to be in an environment like Perth around other guys like that. It’s going to be fun.”

Nick Kay has 90 NBL games to his name and has spent his last two seasons playing with the Illawarra Hawks - starting on 56 of a possible 62 occasions.

In 2017/18 he averaged 11.7 points per game at 51 per cent from the field, plus 5.4 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 1.4 steals.

Wildcats coach Trevor Gleeson said Kay fits the Perth Wildcats style of play.

“He’s had an exceptional couple of years. He plays like a man. He’s strong, he’s physical, he can score, he has a high work rate. He plays that up-tempo game that we like to play,” said Gleeson.

“Being a good teammate is very important to us, to have the right culture at our club, and he ticks all those boxes.

“We’re excited to have Nick on board for the next three years and we look forward to his growth and development.”

Nick Kay recently played in the gold medal-winning Australian team at the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

He was also a part of the Boomers 2017 FIBA Asia Cup championship team and more recently pulled on the green and gold in FIBA World Cup Qualifiers.

Kay played college basketball at Metro State University in Denver – the same school Jesse Wagstaff attended – helping the Roadrunners to four-consecutive NCAA Tournaments and was named to the All-Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference first-time twice.

Nick Kay is the sixth Wildcat signed to the 2018/19 playing roster, joining Damian Martin, Angus Brandt, Jesse Wagstaff, Clint Steindl and Rhys Vague.

http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/36803-perth-wildcats-s%20-boomer-nick-kay

Reply #685107 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

this couldnt be in the other thread that has already discussed this?

Reply #685113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We're Perth

all your thread are belong to us

Reply #685115 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Does it really matter how many threads there are lol.
Great news on Kay signing by the way.

Reply #685117 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

The other thread was speculative and ran in all directions. This is the official he signed thread.

Reply #685120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He won't help you win. How did the Hawks go this season with his increased role...

Reply #685126 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

How did the United go getting Moller from 7th place Kings?

Reply #685127 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks had Kay and were a mediocre team. Melbourne have Moller and won the title. Clearly Perth should of gone after Moller. Also get Adnam to replace Cotton.

Reply #685128 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I sense some saltiness.

Reply #685129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay will fit well in the starting five alongside Gliddon, DJ and Dunigan.

Reply #685132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Moller averaged 14 mins per game, Kay 26 mins per game. Enjoy missing the playoffs

Reply #685159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, the one and only reason that the Hawks missed the playoffs was Kay... apparently.

Reply #685164 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"He plays like a man"
just wish you'd start speaking like one Trevor.

homicide will be happy though. he likes fully grown men.

Reply #685167 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No just highlighting the rubbish how did Untied go getting Moller from 7th placed Kings. Moller played sweet FA at Kings prior to going to Untied. Then he played a bit part with 14 mins per game. Kay starts, plays 26 mins, big difference.

Reply #685201 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

I announced this weeks ago.

Kay will be a great Wildcat. He is talented but also HUNGRY. He will be an all NBl type of guy here

Reply #685204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't why Moller is getting dragged into this conversation but to be fair to him he’s three years younger.
Kay the Knight replacement, Perth never stay down long, must have cost them a bundle though, $400g a season.

Reply #685214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$400K/season - LOL stop posting trash.

Reply #685217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

""To be able to learn from Trevor (Gleeson)"

hahahahahahahaha

Reply #685227 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Trevor Gleeson is a Master Coach

Reply #685237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo teaches them, Gleeson gets them rewards, rinse and repeat.

It is $400g talk to agents out there, I know a few, that's his price tag. Good luck to him.

Reply #685257 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

They spent 2 seasons with Bevo lol it's not like he can take full credit for the players they are. I think if anything we can now debunk the following Hoops theories -

1) Gleeson is a flog and a rubbish coach that no one wants to play for.
2) Bevo is such a great coach and everyone would prefer him
3) Perth/Gleeson can’t recruit players

Reply #685264 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

$400 k for a player not yet at his peak? His agent must be good.

Does an agent get 10% of that? If so, I want in on that action.

Reply #685273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahah, nowhere near 400k.

Reply #685354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way Soft Brandt plays would not be suprised Jervis takes over his role by mid season.

Brandt/Jervis
Kay/Wagstaff
Import/Steindl
Cotton/Import
Martin/Norton

I'f i'm perth i want a stud SF and sharp shooting swingman who can play import coming off the bench.

Reply #685362 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:08 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754