Jimny
Years ago

Gold Coast Blaze comeback

Any truth to the rumours Kestleman is looking to bring back the blaze?

I personally think he should use the Rollers branding and logo. It would help grow the Bullets also with local rivalry.

Topic #43173 | Report this topic

skull  
Years ago

Surely not...

Reply #685413 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Christ, I hope not...

Reply #685414 | Report this post

Cashy  
Years ago

What is wrong with a gc comeback??

Reply #685415 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Would've been more appropriate for this post to have been made three weeks ago.

Reply #685418 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

No Sports team survives on the Gold Coast without heavy and continuous backing from the league. Suns and Titans are the only 2 national teams and both would fold without multi-million league handouts.

Failed Franchises on GC:

Tweed Giants/seagulls/gladiators/chargers)- NRL
Bears (Bad news Bears)- AFL
Gold Coast United - A League
East Coast Aces- union
Clippers/dolphins/cougars-baseball
Blue Tongues- ice hockey
Blaze/cougars/Rollers-Basketball

Reply #685419 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Answer to the OP question...No,there would no truth in that rumour.

Reply #685420 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

As Timberball says, The Gold Coast has a history of failures.

Let's look at the population and business at "The Goldy".
Population is basically old codger Victorians seeking the sun after wasting their lives working 43 years in some factory in Werribee making widgets, gangsters and bikies, and oh yeah, gangsters and bikies.

Then, what local businesses do they have and will support the team, there are only so many adult shops laundering money for bikies in town.

The only way Gold Coast would come back is if some dodgy ganster with a hairy back, tight budgie smugglers and large gold chains living in some gregarious marble mansion on one of the waterways wanted to boost his ego.

Reply #685438 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I think this post is the first mention of this rumour.

Agree with Timberball, but Tweed Seagulls still lays in Qld state league.

The Gold Coast produces some great athletes, but they all move to bigger markets for their careers.

The largest employer on the Gold Coast is the local council. Councils can't pour big dollars into sponsoring pro sports teams. They just don’t have any big employers to sponsor their local national league team in any sport (basketball would be a smaller commitment than any footy code though).

Sponsorship can be sought from developers (Metricon has naming rights for the AFL venue at Carrara) but usually developers sign up for a few years when they have a major project underway, then pull out once they’ve made their money on the project.

Reply #685459 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I'm guessing that OP was thinking of the proposed Asian backed GC team that was mooted some time back.

This nor a Blaze reincarnation will happen until the Bullets find their footing.

Reply #685463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has to be Rollers.

Reply #685473 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

Would be great to see a league of 12 teams again, but it has proven to be nonviable.

I think for now Cairns and Brisbane are the two QLD teams the league wants,
and any expansion is going to focus in other areas.

Reply #685477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody attended the Bullets vs United game there this year

Reply #685523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

be good to see 2 of his qld teams fail.

Reply #685534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You spelt your name wrong Jimmy

Reply #685540 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

I sure hope not. Suns and Titans bleed money and the Bullets were 12mill down when they went broke.

Reply #685544 | Report this post

Jimny  
Years ago

Bullets are getting stronger each day. Signing guys like Cadee will ensure the team is in local news daily. Star power does that for you.

Reply #685591 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Serious question, is there any legit sporting rivalry between Brisbane and Gold Coast like a Geelong vs Melbourne or Sydney vs Illawarra/Newcastle? I'd add Perth vs Fremantle but the outskirts of the city are such that Fremantle is basically in Perth now.

I'm asking of what the Bullets vs Rollers rivalry was like back in the 90s and is it worth trying to build off that or is it just a waste of time and resources

Reply #685883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge Rivalry between Gold Coast and Brisbane...

GC has cheaper drugs, but Brisbane has better hookers.

Reply #686272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for your 2 meaningless inciteful posts Jimny.

Reply #686287 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:09 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754