D2
Years ago

Wildcats "release" Jarrod Kenny

Official announcement today, of what we already knew, that they have not exercised their club option and he will not be resigned.

http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/36807-thank-you-jarrod-kenny

Could be this is a precursor to another announcement?
Either the Cats signing Norton? Or Kenny signing elsewhere.

Anyway, Thank you Jarrod Kenny, an important part of our last two championships.

Topic #43177 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have you been asleep since Thursday? It was news then in an nbl article with Norton the Friday news

Reply #685483 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Perhaps to Cairns?

Reply #685485 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Norton is definite - announcement imminent

https://thewest.com.au/sport/perth-wildcats/perth-wildcats-lure-australian-boomers-point-guard-mitch-norton-west-ng-b88813311z

Reply #685490 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Kenney is a decent player, decent defender with a decent outside shot.

For whatever reason was never aggressive enough offensively despite having a decent shot.

I hope he ends up at a decent club, although he is 32, he still have at least 1-2 years to offer at this level off the bench.

Perhaps Sydney to replace Cadee?

Reply #685497 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'd happily take Kenny to replace Cadee. I figured he would be Breakers bound before the Weeks news.

Reply #685508 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This is big...he will be able to compensate for Randle's D.

Health is a big question mark.

Wonder how much he is getting?

Reply #685510 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

^ Sorry wrong thread

Reply #685512 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

He seems like one of those guys you'll see at championship anniversaries and go "oh yeah I remember him".

I'd be intrigued to hear if he ever felt he was at his best at Wildcats as he always felt too reserved except for a couple of games with this season (Perth @ Brisbane, Cotton match winner game and a few games after that) where I think he had like 4 x 8+ point games.

If he gets a spot on the Hawks roster then good luck to him, can't imagine him at Cairns as expect Shaun Bruce to return up there

Reply #685569 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'd be intrigued to hear if he ever felt he was at his best at Wildcats as he always felt too reserved"

This. Personally really liked Kenny And think he's a good player, but he was super frustrating. He was a perfect example of a player who needs confidence. When ever he'd have the ball and confidently take a shot or do something almost without thinking, often he'd score or make a great play. When ever he'd hesitate for a split second and second guess what he was doing it didn't turn out so well which unfortunately he'd do a fair bit.

Hope he finds himself on a roster with a role for him, I think he still has a bit to offer.

Reply #685581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So true. Gleeson as coach should've helped him with his assertiveness but never did anything to improve him in that regard.

Reply #685582 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

According to the Cairns Post, Taipans have a 2 year offer on the table for Kenny. Other clubs are chasing him as well.

Reply #685593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Gleeson as coach should've helped him with his assertiveness but never did anything to improve him in that regard."

FFS not everything that happens is Gleeson's fault

Reply #685598 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Gleeson absolutely pushed Kenny to be more assertive.
I've given Gleeson as much crap as anyone, but credit where it's due to him for Kenny. HE brought him the the NBL and turned him into one of the better backup guards going around - one who is quite capable of holding down the fort for a while if a starter is in foul trouble or misses a couple of games with injury.
I'm pretty sure the Cats would have happily hung onto him had they not scored Norton, and I don't doubt that there are other clubs who are interested in having him.

Thanks Jarrod.

Reply #685631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Turned him into..."

LOL, no he didn't.

Reply #685634 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ok poor choice of words on my part. I don't mean he transformed his game, but he did identify him as a potential NBL player and brought him into the league.

Reply #685636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In last half of the previous season Kenny was one of the bright sparks when many of the core players were inept on the scoring sides.

He will definately find a home.

DKD though never really took the chances he had to demand more minutes. 3 point percentage was not good and as such never commanded more minutes. I would say DKD will have a harder go to score a contract.

Reply #685640 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kenny was a no-shot athlete in the NZ NBL at one point. To identify and bring him into the NBL takes some foresight.

Reply #685647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although he didn't suit up for a game he was in the NBL as a training squad player for the Breakers.

Reply #685654 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Breakers presumably didn't think enough of him to elevate him. Then the Wildcats took him on and he was part of the 2015/16 championship in his NBL debut season (over the Breakers, perfectly enough). Contributed to the 2016/17 championship too.

I think it's very reasonable to give credit to Gleeson/Cats coaching/management for that.

Reply #685669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They didn't pick him straight out of NZNBL though as mentioned above. Breakers picked him up in the NBL.

Reply #685678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't he only ever just a train on/practice player with the Breakers though? Pretty sure they never actually gave him a proper shot like the Wildcats did.

Reply #685681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hvg

Reply #685698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson should have turned Kenny from a training player to a full-time player while he was at the Breakers.

Reply #685699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah he is incompetent for not doing that.

Reply #685703 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I'd like him to replace Teys really

Reply #685722 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

To identify and bring him into the NBL takes some foresight.

Bringing Kenney in was a good move but I am not sure it was foresight.

At the time Martin was down for an extended period and just by luck Kenney had a couple of good games for New Zealand Tall Blacks (forgot what those games were).

Not wanting to take anything away from them, but the Wildcats took what next best they could find.

Reply #685723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No LoveBroker why don't you just leave Gleeson alone!

*in LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE voice*

"LEAVE GLEESON ALONE!!!!1"

Reply #685724 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yes, clearly Gleeson is incompetent and just really lucky. All he ever does is recruit players who are available.

I'd love to see him stack the Wildcats with players who aren't available, that would be a sight to not behold.

Just imagine it! Think of all the fantastic players who aren't available and what a great team he could assemble.

Reply #685743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'd love to see him stack the Wildcats with no money available to spend on them, that would be a sight to behold."

Fixed that for you.

Reply #685760 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:08 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754