Anonymous
Years ago

New salary cap tax rules in the NBL

with the new salary cap rules

how much money would the taipans and hawks get?

Topic #43186 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Years ago

How about...you know....generating your own revenue before begging for money?

The answer is likely zero....the equalisation payments never took off the ground as far as the public knows.

Reply #685784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Capital letters please

Reply #685785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$0.00

Reply #685790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Found what they are getting in this post:

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/43183-hawks-owner/#p685763

The last bag for those at home who are slow.

Reply #685794 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Ah Lovebroker, I think you'll find that any reasonable person knows that each market differs in terms of generating profits. Alas when larry rode in on his white horse he promised the regional clubs that if they allowed the big markets to overspend that the regional clubs would receive due compensation the following season.

As we now know there was a signifucant asterisk to that little reach around - the overspend woukd first be utilised to cover all advertising and media costs. Anything left over from those costs would then be passed on to the clubs most effected. This is called parity, which we now know does not exist.

Then again, i could be just another imigrant turning up on your shores with another sob story....dickhead.

Reply #685806 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

He should have just said from the start
"there is no salary cap. The end".

Reply #685828 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I think you'll find that any reasonable person knows that each market differs in terms of generating profits.

Yes...but you are making it out like you can simply give up trying to turn a profit and go straight for the handouts. You can't.

Alas when larry rode in on his white horse he promised the regional clubs that if they allowed the big markets to overspend that the regional clubs would receive due compensation the following season.

No one asked Cairns to 'allow' others to overspend, they put in a soft cap, it applied to everyone, not just the rich teams.

No one promised compensation either, there was a proposal for the scheme, it never happened. I was disappointed because I was hoping LK would carry through but I've moved on.

Then again, i could be just another imigrant turning up on your shores with another sob story

That explains the handout mentality, cheers for offering that clarity.

Reply #685837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A soft cap means there is no cap. No "luxury tax" stuff that was promised. Now we will have 4 yanks playing in a side. How is that beneficial?
The rich will keep spending and the less rich will go under.

Reply #685840 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

No one's asking for a hand out, simply what was promised. Not that difficulf to comprehend.

As for asking Cairns to allow them to overspend, that's exactly what transpired. It's called an agreement. Larry put the proposal forward to abolish the points system. The regional clubs accepted it knowing full well that they would be on an uneven playing field in 2016/17, but from 2017/18 would receive remuneration going forward. It was never fulfilled and now the regional clubs are suffering from the fallout. Told ya, not that difficult to understand.

We immigrants love a hand out mate. You'd know that...unless of course you're aboriginal or TSI? I'll take a stab and say it's not the latter. But I bet you're a proud patriot eh Lovey?

Reply #685844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Realistically I don't see Cairns/Hawks surviving more than a couple more years. With the way the league is rapidly improving and money being thrown around, if this continues they'll reach a point where they just won't be able to compete (even though I love how they've been competitive with what they've had in recebt years).

Unfortunately I don't see small market teams, particularly ones with small crowds, being in the NBLs future.

Reply #685846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, that escalated quickly. Did I miss something about immigrants?

Reply #685855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is everyone so sure the money isn't being redistributed to the non-tax paying teams? We have no reason to believe it isn't happening, or do we?

Reply #685868 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

No one's asking for a hand out, simply what was promised. Not that difficulf to comprehend.

It was never promised. You need to understand the word promise.

Larry put the proposal forward to abolish the points system.

The league was owned by Larry, he didn't need Cairns' sign off.

The regional clubs accepted it knowing full well that they would be on an uneven playing field in 2016/17

Yet Cairns got into the SF ahead of Sydney and Melbourne United. Illawarra in the GF.

now the regional clubs are suffering from the fallout

If the regional clubs are suffering, it's their own doing, not the lack of equalisation payments.
How would the clubs know how much was coming to them? There was no understood formula of the payments.

If a club relied upon some verbal discussion about some incalculable unspecified payments as future income, they don't deserve to carry on as an ongoing concern.

Reply #685877 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Lovebroker you are getting owned. What was promised in return for abolition of the points system hasn't been delivered.

Now, if Kestelman can deliver a good TV deal on the back of the Boomers v USA game and distribute some revenue to clubs as a result - like other sporting leagues do - then all should be forgiven, so interested to see how that plays out.

Reply #685885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New year same slagging of the regional teams. Let's get this straight, Larry has used the Cairns model for United and now Bullets, Hawks went down the same path and still retain the structure under a private owner - why ? Cause it’s about full community engagement from grass roots basketball to rep to NBL and eventually WNBL (yes there will be a Cairns WNBL team in the near future).

Cairns is regularly over 85% capacity (4250) and hits over 95% for at least 33% of hits games. This is vs Cowboy games, Xmas functions, New Years parties etc. cairns always generates an operating surplus (not a profit as it’s a not for profit ownerships model that plies surpluses back into the club/Facilities) which apart from Perth prior to last season just didn’t occur for the others.

Townsville scum derided Cairns for going community owned - we survived and flourished while the league was floundering. Townsville scum went belly up and we helped them transition but we mostly got ignored and they died for good. 2 GF series and 1 semi series later Cairns is still here and has new cashed up sponsors and solid membership numbers/ticket sales and a new coach/ new direction. I would be more worried about Bullets/Kings - both spending up big to get market traction and hopefully learning about game night product and community engagement to maintain ticket sales and sponsors: especially Brisbane who basically had the worst home game ticket sales in a basketball mad city.

Again Cairns and Hawks will be written off and again one or both will be in the mix. Lovebroker give yourself an uppercut - the luxury tax is for all teams not just for Cairns/Hawks and did need their vote on the NBL Board. A founding member of the new NBL board is from Cairns and is president of Taipans inc (he helped Larry redesign and implement the changes we see today) - funny how these things are forgotten or not seen by the loudest douche bags on these forums.

Reply #685901 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Lovebroker - go read the NBL media release entitled "NBL announces changes to player contract & salary rules", dated 30 March 2016. It should still be in the NBL web site's archived news articles.

It's clear and unequivocal that they were changes and not proposals.

Reply #685903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/31258-nbl-announces-changes-to-player-contract-salary-rules

Reply #685961 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Yes Mr LK,grow a pair and explain where the luxury tax money has gone.

Reply #685973 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"by the loudest douche bags on these forums."
not quite fair, there are louder ones, and lovvvyyy at least, of posts with his member tag.

Reply #685980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yes Mr LK,grow a pair and explain where the luxury tax money has gone."

I would guess that money plus plenty more has gone towards financing the production and broadcast costs

Reply #685981 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

It would also be interesting to know if any of the other salary cap changes originally announced are being implemented as advertised.

e.g., what would have been the average salary spend per team in the season just ended? That is supposed to set the salary cap for next season. If a couple of teams have spent over $2 million and a couple over $1.5 million, the new cap would be $1.5 million or higher. Without knowing what they spent, the above scenario nonetheless seems plausible.

Whatever the new cap will be, how hard will it be for some teams to spend the minimum 90% of that cap (if that's being enforced)? Not singling out regional teams here, either - what can Adelaide afford to spend? What will be the impact on costs for spectators to go to games?

Reply #686000 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I am aware of what the NBL announced.

I myself was excited by the announcement, specifically the removal of the Points Cap, introduction of the soft cap together with the Marquee player rule and the open disclosure of salaries (once values are vetted by a Contract Review Committee).

I was onboard for a luxury tax and the subsequent equalisation payments and I was disappointed when the salaries weren't disclosed (even after they’d said they disclosed a more veiled version where names were removed).

Did I lose sleep? No...none of what I read amounted to an enforceable undertaking in any fashion, it was a proposal that wasn’t carried through. There were gaps in detail at the time of the release like how much of the taxes would the NBL keep? How much would actually end up with eligible clubs. The release says "Funds accrued in this account will be able to be distributed to Clubs who are struggling to meet the Salary Floor.", that’s broad and together with contract values open to being interpreted rather than straight up dollar value added even more uncertainty.

Are there even any clubs that didn’t meet the salary floor? If so where is the proof?

At the end of the day, even if the equalisation payments were to eventuate, there were no transparent methods of calculating how much clubs would get, how are they supposed to use blind figures to project future income? The only things they can control is their own generated income and that should be their sole focus.

Relying on unknown amounts of hand outs then complaining that none eventuated is lunacy. That’s not how you conduct an ongoing concern, but hey were are talking about Cairns.

Reply #686007 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Right, the details weren't published in an article publicly posted on the NBL website so obviously they didn't exist. Just like Bogut clearly isn't earning a salary next season because no salary figure has been included in any of the news articles about his signing.

Reply #686022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no salary cap when every player on every team is on $400K.

Reply #686032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hang on, where has it been said that the tax payments aren't going to the other teams?

Reply #686132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lovebroker said "I myself" So 2 people? Cred gone immediately.

Reply #686133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every time I ask where has it been said that the non-tax paying teams aren't getting receipts from the teams that do pay tax, it goes dead silent.

Sounds like complaining with no basis. The world we live in these days.

Reply #686218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where has the NBL ever said they are distributing the extra money? NEVER.

Reply #686228 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yes it helps to have very deep pockets if you want to own an NBL team. Jack Bendat propped up the Wildcats during their exile to Challenge Stadium. And it paid off when they moved to the Arena, Cats are now profitable and self-sufficient.

But at the end of the day, you also need a league in which to compete. Even assuming Brisbane get their shit together, and Sydney stop hemorrhaging, do we really want a league with only 4 teams??

Hawks made the GF in what was only the first year of this new scheme, and only because Gaze can't coach and Joey lost his marbles. And now they have been gutted.
I'm glad Perth is rebuilding, and I'm glad we got them ahead of other bidders, but it just proves that the poorer teams can nolonger compete.

Lets not forget that part of this scheme was to act as a brake on unfair overspend with the tax becoming increasingly punitive. Their were also new Marquee rules designed to get teams to swap out import slots for Marquees. Yet it appears nobody has done that.

Their was also a hard bench cap designed to stop stacking.

The NBL said they would made the numbers public.
Then they said it would only be done towards the end of the season/
and yet still nothing.

So true, we can't say for sure what is happening, because the NBL has never been forthcoming.
But here is what we can see:
- Poorer teams are struggling and having their players poached.
- Teams are either ignoring the bench cap, or their are some star players (including imports) playing for a pittance.
- The Marquee rules are not working as intended.
- If Sydney is paying the full tax, at the rates announced, then they are single-handedly bankrolling the entire NBL without LK contributing a cent.

Reply #686244 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754