Anonymous
Years ago

36ers confirm Jack McVeigh signing, 3 year deal

Promising Australian junior, Jack McVeigh has signed a three-year deal with the Adelaide 36ers.

The 21-year-old forward starred for Australia at junior level, before spending the past three years playing for the Cornhuskers at the University of Nebraska, where he made 78 appearances.

In 2014, McVeigh made his Boomers' debut at the Sino-Australia Challenge and was voted captain of Australia’s Under-19 National Team.

He also dominated for Queensland at the 2014 National Under-20 Championships, averaging 27.5 points and 9.3 rebounds to earn the Bob Staunton Medal.

In 2015, the Cabarita Beach local represented Australia at the 2015 FIBA Under-19 World Championship, averaging 11.1 points and a team-high 5.7 rebounds per game.

McVeigh is thrilled to be returning home to Australia to play for the Adelaide 36ers.

"It’s exciting, especially after a couple of really good years, so I’m looking forward to just getting into the program with Joey and all the guys and really just trying to make that next step.

“It’s always exciting to start being a pro in whatever you do, so I’m really looking forward to it," McVeigh said.

The 204cm swingman plans to make an impact from the outset in his first professional season.

“I can come in and be aggressive from the get-go and spread the floor and put in on the floor and make some plays on the offensive end,” McVeigh said.

McVeigh cites the club’s passion and the way the team plays as a key reason he signed on the dotted line.

“They play fast, they play hard, they get in people’s faces and all that good stuff. Obviously, they’re lead by a good coach and they play an exciting style of basketball and I can’t wait to be a part of it.

McVeigh joins Daniel Johnson, Mitch Creek, Nathan Sobey, Majok Deng, Adam Doyle and Harry Froling who have already committed to the 2018-19 NBL season.

Full story

Topic #43191 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

For a bit of context, some of the past Bob Staunton medalists:

2003 - Damian Martin
2004 - Brad Newley
2005 - Stephen Weigh
2006 - Patrick Mills
2007 - Patrick Mills
2008 - Ryan Broekhoff
2009 - Jorden Page
2010 - Corey Maynard
2011 - Mitchell Creek
2012 - Venky Jois
2013 - Dante Exum
2014 - Jack McVeigh
2015 - Dejan Vasiljevic
2016 - Tom Wilson
Some solid names in there.

Reply #685904 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Who's he replacing on the roster Drmic? I can't see Teys being let go being both the captain and the best bud of Motum.

Reply #685909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Motum isn't going to Adelaide *facepalm*

Reply #685911 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Zodiac Drmic is staying I thought was the word on the street. So I imagine Creek stays in Europe. Either that or we go with 2 imports.

Reply #685913 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Seems like a similar recruiting strategy to a couple of years ago where Adelaide quietly locked up Drmic and Deng.

Drmic, Deng, Froling & Mcveigh are all guys you'd imagine to be highly pursued & NBL gettable college returnees over the past couple of years & they're all in Adelaide. Pretty good effort again by the club.

It's been mentioned on here that Childress isn't likely but Boti still seems to think that Adelaide are keen as ever to see him back. If Drmic is signed, is it just the three imports to go then?

Reply #685914 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Childress can't return and they might be expecting to lose Creek. So, might as well sign what you can and then fill gaps with imports.

Reply #685915 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Isaac, why can't he?

Reply #685917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liking the signing of some young talent. Will stabilise the club and prepare for a long future in finals runs. And the playing group will stay on the same page and have some fun. Run and gun ball. I like it

Reply #685920 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

I like that 36ers are developing youngsters over poaching from other NBL clubs.

Reply #685925 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Equity issue is the rumour.

Reply #685927 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Equity issue?

Reply #685929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McVeigh has signed as a DP. Brilliant work by the 36ers

Reply #685932 | Report this post

Childress asking for 250k more than 36ers can legitimately offer. If he comes back to Adelaide it will be late in the season.

Reply #685936 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Could leave an import spot open for Chill when/if Creek exercises his NBA/Europe out clause early in training camp/preseason?

Reply #685939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McVeigh has not signed as a DP

Reply #685953 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Equity issue?

So is Adelaide the only capital city team team that's sticking to a soft salary cap?

Reply #685990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With you UDog. Sixers are not flash for cash so Joey has to work within a budget. As always he will make something out of very little so you have to admire that regardless of how you feel on other issues.

Reply #686004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to give Joey a lot of credit. Unlike someone like Gleeson who just gets players who are known quantities in the NBL due to sheer spending power.

Reply #686008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's exciting, especially after a couple of really good years,....."

Ummm no Jack, last year was ordinary at Nebraska hence why you are jumping ship. Minutes and all stat categories went backwards big time.

Reply #686016 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

"Sixers are not flash for cash so Joey has to work within a budget. As always he will make something out of very little so you have to admire that "

Haha, So you want to be grouped with the Taipans & Hawks now? Pleeeeeeease!

Reply #686020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where does Boti say that they can't afford Childress? I missed that.
It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Reply #686033 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

For those who have seen McVeigh and Froling play, who is the more accomplished thus far? Does one have a bigger upside? Froling seems to be a stretch 4? Is McVeigh a hustle guy (like a Jacob Holmes type) or has he got good shooting range?

Reply #686043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Childress has always known his value, it starts at $500g for a full season or he stays home.
McVeigh must have grown on the plane back from the states as he's no way 2040 cm, closer to just 200 cm.

Reply #686044 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

Reply #686059 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I have to say that the college stats for Froling and McVeigh are pretty underwhelming. With Hodgson moving on the Sixers are VERY thin up front right now. Deng will need to step up a lot but they also need a strong, experienced big man along the lines of Josh Boone if they want to return to the grand final.

Reply #686170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the house can't afford Childress then I dare say they won't be able to afford Boone either. You might want to go giving Jacobsen a call

Reply #686171 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

FWIW if you compare the numbers put up by McVeigh and Creek in their respective U19 World Championships, they are very very similar.

I think McVeigh could be a Mitch Creek level prospect someday, he is around 4 years younger.

Id expect McVeigh to be a solid rookie, he is coming in at 21 so a little older than Creek was as a rookie. The numbers he puts up will depend on his court time a bit too, and this 36ers team is looking very deep.

Great signing and prospect imo, and getting him for 3 years is great too, so hopefully we can see him flourish in a 36ers singlet.

Reply #686176 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I hope so too Captain Jack, but I'm more worried about next season. The time for this Sixers team is now. Ownership needs to shell out to get DJ some real front court help or we will waste his prime years. I’m fine with Froling as long as he is the fourth big man and not someone we depend on for contributions every game. Likewise, McVeigh is ok as long as Creek comes back.

Reply #686191 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

If Creek as expected does leave how do we replace him? You can't really so I think the signing of Froling and McVeigh along with the unlikely return of Childress might be a signal that we know we might have to take a step back next season but hopefully in a couple of years time (when Creek comes back?) we might have a contender again.

Reply #686206 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Id Assume if Creek leaves we would get a higher level import pg, get childress or someone similar as a import fwd, and then Ramone Moore or Drmic or Deng may need to start.

Thats if we cant get Motum in to replace Creek, which it seems the 36ers are atleast trying to do.

So if we assume no Creek or Motum or any other aussie of that level

Gives us something like

Johnson/Froling
Import/Deng
Moore/McVeigh
Sobey/Drmic/Teys
Import/Doyle

You could start any of Drmic, Deng or Moore really

Still not bad, would give Deng, Drmic, Moore more minutes and opportunity, which could be ok

I'd still be tipping that to be top 4ish, assuming we get the imports right

Reply #686207 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'd be surprised to see Sobey in 36ers colours after last season.

Reply #686208 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

He is contracted. He is one of the main cogs in Wright's plans. He tapered off but would you really let him go?

Reply #686217 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I felt that might happen too but I think it's a bit too late for that now. Generally speaking something like that would've been done before the free agency period started.

Reply #686222 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

If Childress isn't an option, I wonder if Conger or Buford would be good fits? Both are good rebounders and scorers and can hit the three. But both are also about Creek's height, so might be undersized against some bigs if you played them at the 4. I didn't see that much of Buford, did he match up defensively on opposing 4's much in Brisbane?

Also, if Pledger isn't too expensive, the Sixers could do worse than to sign him for a bit of size and experience off the bench.

Reply #686245 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Buford was alright when he was engaged but after how things ended at the Bullets with him quitting on the team I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Sixers.

Conger I would imagine is probably out of our price range now, dependent on the Creek situation. He's gone from playing in lowly Belgium to now playing in Spain after his season with the Hawks so would likely cost a lot more than he did this past season.

Pledger wouldn't be a great fit IMO. I don't mind him but he's even less mobile than Hodgson better player obviously but think he would be much better suited on a team that isn't so up tempo.

Reply #686247 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"McVeigh has signed as a DP. Brilliant work by the 36ers"

Is that true? If so it really is a coup?

What about Froling?

Reply #686255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More importantly, does this mean Larkins is gone finally?

Reply #686261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD, shhhhhhhh and just watch.
KET, Sobey will be definitely back and post better number once again than players such as McCarron, who were on a weaker team and should have had a bigger role so to speak. Sobey was on a crazy deep team and still did it.

Reply #686280 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Sobey is a petulant brat that's drinks his own bath water.
Not worthy of doing up McCarrons shoelaces.

Reply #686284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol comment of the year right here

Reply #686290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here here Thunder Jam

Reply #686293 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Yeah well he plays for the Sixers and I am pretty happy about that .
Sometimes bit over the top but nothing to be so bitter about apart from not on your team .
Not only does he add both good D and scoring but adds excitement to the game that we usually have only imports to do that.

Reply #686339 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I suspect the thinking is that if McVeigh isn't yet up to it, he stays in the DP role and an import is added. Otherwise, he gets minutes, is elevated and then they forgo an import or bring in a stronger one later in the season.

Reply #686348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't believe McVeigh is a dp, haven’t seen that anywhere written exceon here, he has a full roster spot I believe.

Reply #686355 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Only going on what I've heard.

Reply #686358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DP's can play home and away games outside the full roster. Perhaps this is where you are confused.

Reply #686363 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

A DP can be paid, upto the league minimum. And yes, teams can play 12 players at home and away.
There was a restriction that a DP could only play half the away games, but I don't know if that was relaxed.

Reply #686404 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sounds similar to Magnay from Brisbane, signed to a three year deal including first year as a DP. Of course that's just a guess.

Reply #686410 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Zodiac, I remember hearing Buford quit on the team, but I guess it depends on exactly why that happened as to whether he's worth a look or not? Anyone know what happened there?

I agree Pledger isn't the perfect fit, that's why it'd have to be for the right price. He would just be handy to throw out there to counter a Bogut, Jawai, etc, instead of DJ and Deng taking a pounding all season!

Reply #686416 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

It's possible that Buford quit on the Bullets but their season was well and truly done by that juncture.

So Buford leaving had no negative effects on the team in terms of playoff aspirations.

The crowds might have wanted to see him but they largely diappeared anyway.

The question would be...would Buford have done the same if Brisbane were vying for a real chance of playoffs?

Reply #686419 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Zodiac, I remember hearing Buford quit on the team, but I guess it depends on exactly why that happened as to whether he's worth a look or not? Anyone know what happened there?

He wanted to be released early from his contract so he could sign with a team in Spain and when the Bullets first rejected the idea he started sulking putting in minimal effort in games and not much at all in practice.

When the Bullets finally agreed to his wishes to be released before the season had finished a number of Bullets players were said to be glad to see the back of him.

Despite how outrageously unprofessional pulling a stunt like that is we've seen a bit similar here before in Julius Hodge and signing cancerous players like that can destroy team harmony and even derail a whole season.

Reply #686427 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Ok well if that's how it went down then I agree, he’s not the kind of guy you want on your team!

Reply #686456 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

If Creek isn't going to be in the NBL next year and Chill can't come back due to the NZ thing, I'd love to see them go after Conger. Would fit the team's style perfectly, IMO.

Reply #686467 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754