with no
Forman
Kay
morton

any guess or rumours

Topic #43199 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Complete guesses: White, Martin, Coenraad, Clarke, Jervis.

Reply #686021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greg Hire

Reply #686029 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Matt Flinn will be suiting up again by the look of things

Reply #686064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Felix Von Hofe would suit them. Also adds a succession plan for Coenraad

Reply #686102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DKD signing to be announced

Reply #686118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RIP Hawks. DKD is trash

Reply #686135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ran into Oscar the other day at the airport. A true legend of the game. Replacing a 400 gamer and an expert 3 point shooter will be a problem for sure.

Reply #686225 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

They should go for Xavier Cook

Reply #686230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Felix Von Hofe

Reply #686237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Felix who?

Reply #686239 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Any news on Conger?

Reply #686248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would assume conger (if he returns to NBL) will be at a bigger budget team, he will be getting a bump in pay after the season he had.

sadly I don't think the hawks can afford to keep him

Reply #686455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conger to the cats

Reply #686457 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I'm not sure the hawks will have the finances to retain Conger, you would think brisbane would chase him hard, amongst others.

Loe would have been a solid signing next to AJ considering what they can spend. They could have possibly covered for losing either Kay or Norton but losing both is a tough ask. Bevo really built that team around both. That being the case, they may have to let Rot go and chase an import 1 and 4. Or they could resign Cody and start him next to AJ allowing them to retain Rot and sign a PG and wing from the states.

Going to be a tough period for both Cairns and Illawarra but their communities will hopefully recognise the challenges they face and increase their support.

Reply #686462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conger is awesome pickup with his 3 point and inside game. Cats and many others would want a starting 3 man like him. Certainly offer more than Tokoto did.

Reply #686463 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

He'd be great for the cats. Already familiar with a couple of blokes on their team too....

Reply #686464 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Who was it who had the beef with Cody and are they still at the Hawks? They might have to lock in the locals they can get and then grab imports shrewdly. That'd mean keeping relatively unexciting options like Martin, White, etc.

Is Glover expected to be playing any time soon?

If they bring back much of last year's squad but without Kay and Norton, and can't find the equivalent of Conger, I'm not seeing where they can reliably improve. Three imports will be vital.

Reply #686472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The previous owner had the beef with Ellis.

Reply #686473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've mentioned it before, but guys like Felix Von Hofe should be picked up by the hawks as a succession plan for the like of Coenraad etc. aging locals and no great DP’s is a disaster waiting to happen. I feel like they are going through the motions this year, in order to move to Melb next season.

No announcements, no communication. Is Bevo even coaching? I want the Hawks to be strong, as it’s good for the league. They need to start working hard now, as they have already missed out on most, if not all high quality free agents. I’d like to see Jervis land there.

Reply #686520 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

"I feel like they are going through the motions this year, in order to move to Melb next season."

100%

Reply #686533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only move that looks like they may not is the appointment of Matt Campbell as GM which is a huge positive. Although that may have been done to keep them from bleeding too much money before an eventual move.

Reply #686556 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Feels the same to me. Hopefully it's just that with Campbell in there, they're working on things internally and just not remembering to push out the sort of news that keeps fans onboard and players thinking they're alive.

I think it'd be worth a couple of stories with the Mercury and maybe some announcements. The only Hawks-specific stories on the first page of "Illawarra Mercury - Sport - Basketball" are about Kay and Norton leaving. Not great signs. :|

Reply #686568 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

It would be very difficult for Stratford to maintain things if crowd attendance can't lift above 3-4k avg. Unless he's willing & able to put much more of his own money into the team, its going to get harder & harder.

Attracting new investors may be the priority ATM but without an attractive product, it won't get him much money. I can't think of much viable solutions that won't require him to put more money in.

They need to get 3 exciting imports, be competitive, more active marketing with perhaps trying to link up with St.George NRL for cross promo & encroach into Southern Sydney? Easier said than done though.

Reply #686594 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's why my guess would be a tough season this year, then very hard for the owner to justify staying in the comp the following year. Would like to be proven wrong, obviously.

Crowds were meagre last year, then you lose their best two prospects and presume that Conger is difficult to retain. What's left that would maintain let alone lift the crowd?

Ideally you'd go for Kenny or similar to try and freshen up the squad, maybe announce a rotation player early. Based on public info now, if I was a player with options, I'd be worried about taking the Hawks option.

Reply #686598 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Hawks imo should go young, get college guys as most of the new recruits

Keep Ogilvy, White, Coenraad, Cody Ellis

If possible Clark and Conger, ultimately get the 3 best imports you can find

Add in Cooks, Naar and a couple of other college guys

Gives them something like

Ogilvy
Import
Import
Clark or new import combo guard
Naar

??Rookie or Jervis/Majok type
Ellis
Coenraad
Cooks
White

Something like that if they can get Ogilvy fit and firing, Naar can be a productive rookie playmaker and 3 good imports could be pretty competitive

Reply #686605 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Crowds were meagre last year, then you lose their best two prospects and presume that Conger is difficult to retain. What's left that would maintain let alone lift the crowd?

The Hawks crowds have not been good (for a quite a few seasons since Spenceley ownership) no matter how good the roster is or where they finished.

Even the year they made the GF, the crowds were not full, only in the SF and GF games did it fill out.

Marvelle Harris played very well early in that season, yet the crowd numbers didn't budge much.

Reply #686610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they get Cooks and Naar as locals it could help with the crowds as they love there locals.

Reply #686618 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

No way they will get Cooks. And according to his agent on Twitter there is no way Cooks will be in the NBL in the immediate future.

Reply #687400 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:56 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754