UseTaHoop
Years ago

NBL Salaries

There's been a lot of numbers thrown around here lately. Seems like every player’s either on $400K or well under $100K (around $60- $80K) per season.

Are there any posters here who actually have some level of inside knowledge, or is it all random speculation or pure BS?

Do the players actually earn their salaries in wages, or have some set up discretionary trusts, private companies, consultancies and similar structures? I know the ato have earnings averaging arrangements for pro athletes, but there may be even better structures available to maximise the financial benefits of a limited term career.

Topic #43200 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are employees so it is a salary/wage.

You can't setup structures when you work as an employee as it falls under the PSI rules which means you can't income split. You don't know what you're talking about.

Going back to the main point - no one knows salaries as legit inside info on here has really dried up. It has gotten to the point where a troll said $400K and everyone is taking the piss with it since then.

Reply #686037 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, there would be posters who have a fairly good idea. Word often gets out and spreads. There are trolls posting fake numbers but they're usually quite obvious.

I'd guess most locals get paid wages but some might have negotiated something else, even if just as part of their package.

There will always be someone who posts "Unless you're the athlete, the club or ATO, HOW WOULD YOU EVEN KNOW!!!1" but maybe they're also the types who post "I'm not believing it until the club announces it officially." (And I wonder why they even read a fan forum.)

I find that it's fairly easy to pick solid rumours from bullshitters, and to recognise that sometimes a strong rumour doesn't turn out (e.g., player was strongly leaning one way and then changed their mind, or had a verbal and then bailed).

Reply #686039 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Ok. Hence the $400K number.

I am genuinely interested in how much players earn. Not individually named players, but just in general. I remember a certain young bloke earning around $20K while at Uni in his first year for 36ers. Way Better than Austudy in the mid 90s. I also know benchies and role players who did Uni study, both during and after playing careers (association development roles don't pay enough for a career).

Only the best will ever earn enough to semi-retire on, so most will have to set up a career whilst still playing. Maybe apprenticeships/ traineeships could be sourced for young players. College recruits should also consider their course choices and look at how recognised their studies will be in Australia.

I think a player could set up alternative structures to run things like marketing, coaching clinics etc. In some areas the Fed govt actually mandates an alternative structure to receive payments (eg the NDIS if a client wants to select their own providers) and some professions lend themselves to it. On the other hand, some companies have found themselves in hot water over using sub-contractors. There tests of "is it paid by the hour, do you supply own your tools, are you covered by workers comp?" etc).

Reply #686041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You only have to know some off the agents to get the idea of some players, the kings, United all chased Kay with good offers and he rejected them for more money in Perth, good business on Kay's agent behalf. 1.2 million over three years, you work it out. Bench players normally earn between 45g and 100g depending on how many big name locals you got on the team. Some of the college kids coming back with big reputations could stretch to 120g with a good agent and if you’re a piece required by clubs.
Some posters will refute this but it’s on the money, believe it if you wish or take it with a grain of salt but it’s accurate.

Reply #686051 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

UseTaHoop - depends who's being talked about with the $400K...

IMO, the biggest trap would be to be good enough to suit as training bait or as a development player, but not good enough to go further. Or even get $45k for a year or two. Go with that for a few years and by the time you resume an alternate career, your peers have finished uni or have years of desk experience up their sleeves while you're just starting.

This applies less to particularly motivated/connected/smart types, but I think it's dangerous if you're unsure about another career path.

Reply #686053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Kay really got $1.2mil over three years #686051 then I believe the Cats have jumped the shark. Or if other clubs were close then the whole league has.

Reply #686058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every player is just on $400k according to the forum.

Reply #686067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can tell you, for an absolute fact, that Kay is getting nowhere near $1.2M.

how would "Knowing an Agent" help you? If said agent even cared enough to answer your question, what possible incentive would they have to be accurate? Obviously they are going to talk it up.
Like it or not, Accountants run the world, they're the ones you need to talk too.

And to answer the OP's other question, well yes, there are ways and means.
Basketballers have two big advantages over their AFL counterparts. Firstly, given tje international and transient nature of some of tje players, clubs argue correctly that it is "industry practice" to provide accommodation, transport, flights, etc, and its all FBT free. Kay has the option of staying at the mansion, or if he has a partner they'll rent him a bloody flash house or apartment. They'll provide him with a car or service, meals and clothing allowances, and free flights.
The other advantage is that unlike the AFL, the NBL isn't as picky about arrangements outside the cap. There has been more than one WAG employed by the team.

And yes, there are other "legal" ways to effectively defer income tax, which is particularly beneficial for athletes that have limited peak earning spans.
And its legit. Even the courts have upheld it. The ATO is aware of the loophole, but last I heard there has been no change to the law.
Put simply it involves your employer investing money into a future annuity on your behalf.

Reply #686091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahaha, idiot that said Kay 1.2 is so far off the mark it's scary. Please don’t post ever again, as I’m now dumber after reading the stupid sum of money for which you have no bearing or clue.

Reply #686103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even AFL use a certain allowance to pay players tax free to a defined limit. No need to be an international sport.

Reply #686109 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

'051's post was otherwise around the mark but I doubt the Kay number. Must be confused with something else.

Reply #686151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's on the money, Kay is the piece that nbl clubs need long term and is Australian.

Reply #686156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember there is a minimum too. If "your mate" was earning $20k whilst at Uni then he is being ripped off. Assuming he was a listed player. DP's don't even get paid.

Reply #686169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the past DPs were being paid below the minimum and clubs were getting away with it when the league was struggling hence that story.

Reply #686179 | Report this post

Jimny  
Years ago

Salaries of all nbl players should be available for public viewing similar to how the nba does it.

Its honestly a disgrace its not already

Reply #686185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ what is Cadee's salary?

Reply #686187 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon 169

Mid 1990s. So wasn't being ripped off. Probably equivalent to around $50-60 K now. That particular player had a long NBL career across several teams. Popular in community and with peers too. He Enjoyed his career and.

Reply #686197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There might be posters who are "in the know" but that doesn't mean they are being truthful about what they post 100% of the time, or not posting with an agenda in mind.

Boti is considered to be “in the know” but has often distorted the truth (or completely made stuff up) when it suits him so you can’t blindly believe what those insiders say every time.

Reply #686205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So 20 years ago Cadee was indeed on good money.
Minimum is now $42K? I believe.

Reply #686231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Minimum is $42k and $10k for dp but clubs can contribute in other ways, accomodation, food etc.

Reply #686235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Face palm to most of the comments in here about salaries. The players salaries in the NBL shouldn't be posted, as players in such a small league would definitely have issues as would clubs. And to say it’s a disgrace the salaries aren’t posted is crazy. It’s not the NBA, so don’t compare it.

Reply #686236 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Last year I ran into a family member of an NBL player. This NBL player is at the end of the bench and doesn't play big minutes.

I was a little surprised at the salary- it was slightly more than I expected.

Not a United player, if you're wondering and not giving any more info. Except to say this player was making a decent living.

Reply #686265 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And to be a bit more specific- if you combine this NBL salary with off season bball income, it would be a nice living indeed.

I haven't checked if this player is playing SEABL or state league or NZNBL, but if he is, and if he's earning say 50% of his NBL wage playing SEABL, then he'd be earning 6 figures and then some. And he'd have the flexibility to work another job during say, April til August when NBL pre season kicks into full swing.

In other words NBL players are doing quite well for themselves- even the ones who are 9th-11th men. Based on this one example anyway.

Reply #686266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV you are talking crap. Are you suggesting that "even the ones who are 9th-11th men" will earn a decent income and "then he'd be earning 6 figures" Get off the crack. Do the real research about your family friend because they are talking smack.

Reply #686288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are players in the NBL that play less than 5 minutes a game that are on over 100k per annum

Wage reality has popped in the NBL

Reply #686292 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Why would accommodation be FBT free?

NBL clubs are for profit businesses, and wouldn't fit into any of the FBT exemption categories, as far as I'm aware.

This means that accommodation or any other benefit would attract FBT.

If so, then it would be smarter for clubs to pay an "allowance" to the players - effectively an addition to their salary- and then organise the rental property, that the players then pay for themselves.

Reply #686296 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cheap accommodation deals get done for players quite regularly LV.

Reply #686303 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I don't doubt it, I'm just questioning the anon poster's suggestion that it's legally FBT free.

Reply #686311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The man on the street has NFI what FBT is. LV not everyone is an accountant like you.

Mostly it is done via allowances as you said.

Reply #686326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Accommodation is usually not paid by the player.
If a player is contracted and earning ove $100k for 5min+ it shows you the stupidity of that NBL club.

Reply #686334 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just because one bench scrub is getting $100k+, doesn't mean that all are. I wouldn't call LV's story outlandish at all.

It happens. If there was a multi-year deal for a reasonable prospect in a player's market, they might have signed 80-95-110 over three years, for example, to lure them interstate. Then they play SEABL/ABL/NZNBL for another $20k or whatever. If they turn out to be a bit of a bust by year three, they're still getting paid.

I'd guess every team has at least one salary that would shock people.

I heard one this week that was quite surprising! Would've been one of the poorer ratios of earnings to statistical output/MPG around.

Reply #686354 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Alot of the salaries are significantly less than people think but 1 or 2 can be very surprising often more based on circumstance, club need, length of deal and who is available in that role at that time.

Reply #686356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe 6-7 years ago, a player came to Melbourne from Europe and was the highest paid player on the team. He was about #8 or #9 in their rotation.

You never truly know what players are paid. You can predict and guess at their worth, but that is not the same as the number on their contract. It's a market and prices are volatile.

Some players will take discounts to play in this league, play in a particular town, live in a particular city. And some choose to get as much as they can while they can still get it. And some refuse to quit until no one will sign them anymore.

Good luck to them all. If they got it, they earned it!! I just want to be entertained.

Reply #686373 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Even if a "low minute" player can earn $100K per year between NBL and SEABL, it's only for a few years. Aside from accommodation (probably only for duration of season and pre-season training) and other benefits, there’s not a lot of extra to squirrel away.

These sort of players need to plan their post-ball life. I also believe that the franchises have a duty of care towards them. Partner with education and career organisations so that all players can have a head start on their next career. This probably means apprenticeships, traineeships and tertiary studies that lead to a longer-term career.

That sort of salary range matches mine, but I also do other stuff and my career can continue until I retire from work altogether. You can’t retire altogether at 30-35 on those earnings, so career transition is an important area for those guys to consider. Their employer and league needs to support them as well, in my opinion.

Reply #686417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"This means that accommodation or any other benefit would attract FBT"
Not in this case.

Firstly, for accommodation to be a defined benefit, it must be the employee's regular place of residence. So "in theory" a local player would get caught, but somebody who claims their residence is elsewhere does not.
Any residual is covered under the "otherwise deductible" rule.

Even for locals, or others who choose to move their families and make a home in the new city, there are developers and builders (aka "Sponsors") happy to help out. The tax law there is a bit iffy. If a developer builds a block of apartments, and chooses to sell one well under market value (to somebody who is not their employee), that is not a Fringe Benefit, and whilst in theory it should be captured somehow as accessible income, it rarely is.

There's also a reason Teams do sponsorship deals with Car Companies, although Hyundai is scraping the barrel.

Reply #686454 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:40 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754