That guy
Years ago

Nathan Sobey playing Big V

Nathan Sobey will play out the season for Warrnambool in the Big V Division 1 competition.

Interesting a player who was working out with NBA teams less than 12 months ago and recently was playing in the National team wants to play at that level.

Topic #43205 | Report this topic

Reg Grundy  
Years ago

1 game then of to the states to get married I think you shall find

Reply #686108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nathan Sobey acts like a big V so it makes sense

Reply #686111 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reg Grundy, if that's the case why are there 'Nathan Sobey’ camps ran by Nathan Sobey until the end of May?

I hear he is playing during that time a good 5 or 6 games

Reply #686112 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

At what point do NBL Players become restricted players in the Big V? What if you average 27 minutes per game?

Reply #686113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is restricted at state league level

Reply #686120 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Interesting.

Reply #686121 | Report this post

Who is Reg Grundy  
Years ago

Big V media release says he will play against Westernport and Warrandyte this week end. That's more than one game buddy

Reply #686124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what, do people kick up a stink about NBA players going back to their home towns in the off season to play street bball? Sobey would have given up a Euro contract to play Comm Games, so I'm sure this is a fitness run to stay in shape in the lead up to summer league. Torrey Craig played QBL from memory?

Reply #686127 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't Ben Simmons play a pickup game after being drafted?

Reply #686150 | Report this post

The Ansteyman  
Years ago

Bad move by Sobey because it will damage his legacy

Reply #686155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm going to laugh so hard if Warrnambool lose

Reply #686177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How else does a baller supplement his $400K income during the off season? This is a no brainer.

Reply #686178 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I'd say any of the young and old guards in that comp who are really keen to test themselves, are very happy to see him playing.

Penny Taylor went and played SEABL after being very disappointing in missing out on the 2000 Olympic team, both to stay as a fullish-time athlete in Australia, AND to round out her entire game, which she did.

Worked out OK for her.

Reply #686190 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I thought the $400 K was the off-season earnings.

NBL salary ranges not released because they are stratospheric.

Reply #686193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because it allows him to stay in shape still, and presumably without a huge commitment. Players just try and grab a game where they can. Sam Whitcomb was playing in the state league in Perth before heading back for the WNBA.

Reply #686195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL ok, but Big V Div 1????

Reply #686200 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Isn't Sobey originally from Warrnambool? I dare say that's probably got more to with him playing Big V instead of SEABL.

Reply #686204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's in Warrnambool for a month before he goes to America for his Wedding. Stop overthinking it guys. A few games to stay in shape. He’s from Warrnambool. Pretty much a scrimmage really.

Reply #686234 | Report this post

Mock  
Years ago

But what is his salary in Big V!?!?!?

Reply #686268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on him for giving back to his local Club. Good for the Seahawks and for the League.

Reply #686273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Warrnambool allowed Sobey and an import, but Sunbury were refused a second import by Big V? Sunbury are barely competitive yet Warrnambool are good enough to win the whole thing without Sobey

How do Big V arrive at these decisions?

Reply #686276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mock, I hear he is playing for free literally for a few games 2 or 3 to stay in shape. But technically it's none of your business anyway

Reply #686277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Warrnambool allowed Sobey and an import, but Sunbury were refused a second import by Big V? Sunbury are barely competitive yet Warrnambool are good enough to win the whole thing without Sobey

How do Big V arrive at these decisions?

Reply #686281 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Sunbury need to work on their application process for a second restricted player.

Reply #686283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They applied and were rejected

Reply #686285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Nathan's brother reads and reacts to the forum....Lol

Reply #686294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, good story. Next

Reply #686329 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Big V has issued a statement. Sobey is a category B player(Oceania resident) and qualifies under the rules. I'm at a Division One club and think it’s awesome that he is playing at his home club. I can’t wait for us to play against Warrnambool and seeing Sobey perform.

Reply #686364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breaking news Ben Simmons set to play with his brother at chelsea in div 1 once philly are out of the NBA playoffs

Reply #686389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lebron to remain a Cavalier....... Casey Cavaliers !!

Reply #686409 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Sunbury should sign Tony Ronaldson and trump everyone!

Reply #686445 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

If i'm other clubs, I would definitely be using this as marketing. If promoting is right, could lead to making a few extra dollars.

I think if i'm the opposing team I'd rather play against a in prime Sobey than an old riddled and injured Bogut.

Reply #686453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sunbury Men are a Joke

Reply #686495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great for the league. Can't wait to watch him play.

Reply #686684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not surprised as this weekis the biggest of the year in Warrnambool.

Reply #687099 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:46 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754