Anonymous
Years ago

Jervis or Pledger

The Wildcats might choose an import big instead but but if it came down to these two who would be better for Perth?
Or is there another local option eg Landale.

Topic #43208 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Both very similar. Probably not too much difference between the two.

Would come down to $ I'd say.

I'd take Pledger but i'm bias.

Reply #686196 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"What is the fascination with knowing what people are getting paid by everyone? Does everyone know how much you get paid in your job??"

Anyone who's asked me knows. Anyone in the public sector/academia has their salary scales published. Executives in public service authorities have their salaries published in the annual reports. CEOs of publicly listed companies have their salaries published in annual reports. Soccer players have their contract values published. NBA players have their contract values published. etc. etc. etc.

Reply #686209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ wrong thread

Reply #686212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think either player would make a nice backup 5 for just about any team. Jervis makes more sense for Perth since he is a WA guy and probably has more seasons left in him.

Reply #686214 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I'm really surprised at both teams pushing these guys out. I guess BB are going with youth in Hodgson, but IMO their value just went up with Bogut's signing.
Unless teams change it up completely and go for some genuine 7ft Centres as imports, having guys like this available to defend Bogut is valuable.

Reply #686252 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

It's hard to imagine Pledger playing elsewhere. he plays in the NZNBL in tje off-season, so presumably prefers to stick close to home?

Waiting to see what Perth does.

Reply #686254 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

The best way of answering this question is asking what Brandt needs most, he hasn't played a complete season yet (goes missing for weeks on end) so whom will challenge him at training and game night for a starting role, for minutes and opportunity.

I think Jervis would be a terrific pickup but I think Pledger is gonna force Brandt to become more productive

Reply #686331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree proud, pledger really owned him last year so to have him day in day out would be great. It would mean he might develop a more mid range game including a drive from that distance because his post moves didn't work on his length.

Reply #686341 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

AD, Breakers are supposedly low-balling everyone. Enough to lose the coach, the club stalwart, etc.

Jervis' numbers seem alright for 2017/18 - wouldn't you take him first? They're the same age, and Pledger wasn't contributing much in NZ, plus you'd likely pay a premium to relocate him.

Reply #686352 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Somebody said "youth" but they're practically the same age, in fact Tommy is a fraction older.

Objectively, say I was an East Coast team (but with a Brandt as my biggest player), I'd take Pledger, because what they offer, he offers a bit more.

But for the Wildcats, its no contest. Tom & His wife would probably be happy to return home, and it will be easier for her to find work again. (Might be some barriers to her working as a Lawyer in NZ?)
As mentioned, Pledger seems to stick close to home, not sure how interested he'd be in moving to Perth at this stage, unless the money was really good. Plus he would probably suffer a Coronary the first time he went shopping in Perth.

Reply #686384 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Plus he would probably suffer a Coronary the first time he went shopping in Perth."

Assuming you're saying this as in stuff is expensive in Perth.

But have you seen the prices in Auckland! Puts any Australian city to shame with how expensive it is there!

Reply #686403 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

oh ok, I didn't realise.
How much do you pay for a decent large flat-white?

Reply #686406 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Lachy Reid just tweeted "...whispers say Alex Pledger is on the move and joining the reigning champs @MelbUnitedHQ"

Reply #686501 | Report this post

Timberball  
Years ago

$4-$4.50 for a decent flat white in Perth which is about on par with Melbourne and Sydney. And thanks to the Hipster explosion here, there's decent coffee to be found on every corner.

Reply #686503 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"The Wildcats might choose an import big instead but but if it came down to these two who would be better for Perth?"

If we now assume that most teams are trying to comply with the 5 man cap..
So the Cats need somebody reasonably priced.
Should they bring back Tommy, or a cheap import like Cooke?

Cooke was awful. Could you get somebody more like McKay for $100k plus benefits?

Reply #687948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"If we now assume that most teams are trying to comply with the 5 man cap..
So the Cats need somebody reasonably priced.
Should they bring back Tommy, or a cheap import like Cooke?

Cooke was awful. Could you get somebody more like McKay for $100k plus benefits?"

I really hope perth gets Jervis I still think

Martin/Norton
Import/Import
Import/Stiendl
Kay/Wagstaff/Vague
Brandt/Jervis

Looks sooo much better than

Martin/Norton
Import/Cheap Local (Hire?)
Import/Steindl
Kay/Wagstaff/Vague
Brandt/Import (Cooke or McKay?)

IMO bench level import bigs in the NBL are fairly average, would definitely rather Jervis. I reckon you get can a lot more bang for your buck with bench import guards/wings over bigs. Hoping perth find an import guard/wing to give some great scoring power off the bench.

Reply #687959 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

If we're going to comply with the Cap, and that Cap now must include either Wagstaff, or Norton on a backended contract, its gets very tight.
Maybe Jervis gets a payout from Brissy and comes home to play for cheap.
Then we pick up some young college returnee.
I guess the advantage with a cheap import is that their are more benefits to supplement his salary?

Still, for mine, Cooke was a waste.

Reply #687969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something I was thinking of earlier...

I know the cats players are required by the club to do a large amount of community work outside of basketball, pretty sure it's significantly more than other clubs.

I wonder if the Cats (within the league rules) able to pay players X amount under the salary cap to play, but then 'employ' them for the community work and pay an hourly wage.

Reply #687986 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754