Anonymous
Years ago

Can you make a viable team with remaining free agents?

can anyone make a good team with the rest of the free agents and last years imports?

(Mod: Added a topic title. Please put a bit more effort into your posts please.)

Topic #43237 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You got a list of players to pick from?

Reply #687037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IMPORT / Rhys Martin
IMPORT / Dexter Kernich-Drew
IMPORT / Daniel Dillon
David Barlow / Cody Ellis/ Mitch Young
Tom Jervis / Majok Majok

Reply #687039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing to consider are Rookies signing, and returnees from Europe. I think you will fin that Dan Trist will sign, Venky Jois will sign, Emmett Naar will sign.

Majok Majok will most likely be with Melb
Rhys Martin will sign with Illawarra
Mitch Young to retire i'm told
Cody Ellis will sign will Illawarra
Jervis Perth
Barlow Melb
Dillon maybe back to Euro deals
Felix VonHofe (Small market teams to look closely)
Emmanuel Malou (Small market teams to look closely)
Dexter, well that is in interesting one, as I haven't heard anything on his signing.

Reply #687041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Majok Majok Most likely with NZ (typo)

Reply #687042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's called Illawarra Hawks and no idea if It is viable

Reply #687048 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I think a decent team could be formed from the free agents as of right now with decent (mid tier, not super expensive) imports.

Trice / R Martin
Dillon / DKD
Perrin Buford / Barlow
Perry Ellis / Cody Ellis
Tom Jervis / Majok Majok

11th player would be Naar to offset Dillon and Martin's ages.

Reply #687050 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

So the answer is no.
The only FA left are the dregs nobody really wants. Only half-decent player listed above is Jervis, and he's not actually a FA.

IMO no point counting imports as FA unless they are stalwarts, unless the list is endless, and the answer pointless.

Reply #687054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So how will all these proposed teams recruit a side in another season when all the good players are by then locked into longer term contracts?

Reply #687060 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

There are plenty of players who are on their final year of their contract this year to fuel expansion

Reply #687064 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Above

So is this an exercise in picking a team from available FAs, or am exercising in "proving" that the NBL can't expand with expansion team/s having viable playing roster/s.

Reply #687066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Naar will replace Norton and Jois May replace Kay. Both solid options, and more money to spend on imports. Replace Foreman with Von Hofe and you're good to go.

Reply #687070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is JOis and Van hofe?

Reply #687071 | Report this post

> Mitch Young to retire i'm told

Are you sure? He's only 27.

Reply #687073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch not Young for much longer?

Reply #687076 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

There is plenty

Especially given you only really need 2 aussie starters with 3 imports allowed per team

Hawks who have the most spots left could go

Naar/White
Import/Cooks
Import/Coenraad
Jois/Ellis
Ogilvy/Import

If they get the imports right could be as good or better than last season

A new expansion team could fill out a similar roster with 3 starting imports and young aussies returning from college/europe or poach from other NBL rosters at the start of free agency

Reply #687077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ surely it is not that hard to use google to find the answers to you question?

Venky Jois - 25yo from Victoria, played in Vic Metro U18 & U20 teams. A SF/PF who won the Bob Staunton Medal in 2012 at the Aus U20 Junior Championships.

http://basketball.net.au/championships/u20-champs/history-u20-ivor-burge-championships/

Venky played NCAA Div 1 at Eastern Washington, leaving with the programs most rebounds & blocks records, I think. Very athletic & loves to dunk and can do so at will. Had a try out with the NBA Spurs. Played last year in Estonia (Tartu Ulikool Rock), the current season in Croatia (Osijek) before being transferred/sold to a Japanese club (Shiga Lakestars). IMO NBL teams would think he is too small to play as a 4 and does not have a great 3 pt shot (some would say he has no 3pt shot at all), so he can't stretch teams offenses & is also not great from the charity stripe.

von Hofe 23yo also from Victoria. Played in Vic Metro U16, U18 & maybe U20 state teams. At NBL level he is a SG, but could play as a SF in SEABL. His strength is he is a catch & shoot 3 pt shooter. Represented Australia in FIBA U17 in 2012. Also played NCAA Div 1 at Eastern Washington (3yrs with Venky), leaving with the most 3 ptrs made in program history. Played last year with Dandenong in SEABL. This year - SEABL with Kilsyth and was a Development Player with Melbourne United in their Championship winning season.

Reply #687082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cooks as a 2 captain Jack yeah ok mate.
Jois is starting to put up good number in Japan and I hear he rates himself highly so I don't know if Illawarra would be able to throw dollars at him and imports to make up for the rest of the roster.

Reply #687158 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:14 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754