Anon
Years ago

Cairns Taipans Free Agency

Has anyone heard any news at all about who the Taipans would be looking at bringing up to FNQ? Or are the playing the waiting game like Illawarra?

Topic #43243 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

what does taipans need if Mike Kelly wants 123 imports

Reply #687166 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Cairns have been more active than Illawarra already signing Loe, Kenny and Walker.
Add them to Jawai, Loughton, Kuany and possibly three imports, the Taipans only have 2 local spots remaining.
Heiur could also stay.

Reply #687167 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The bonus is the Cairns or their supporters can accuse anyone of ever farming / poaching from that above list of humans that play basketball.

Reply #687172 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jawai/Loe
Loughton/Walker
/Kuany
/
/Kenny
So Heuir and one more Australian?

Reply #687174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe waiting for the NBL combine.

Reply #687181 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Dickhead.

Reply #687182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe cheap guard foward
Bennie lewis
Dion prewster

I would suggest
walker play 3 4
Rob loe start
keep Jerry evans
be ready for Jawai injury

Reply #687183 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I think the attribute 'cheap' needn't be expressly written within Cairns threads, it is implied.

Reply #687192 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

LoveBroker, try to lighten up. No need to attack everything. It's all you seem to do champ.

What's your favourite team?

Reply #687195 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

There are not many free agents left of any quality.

The Taipans wanted Weeks, and couldn't keep him (NZ), so they went after their second choice, Norton, who went for Perth's big bucks (and championship credentials), so they were stuck with Kenny.

Heiur will be kept as an option if they can't get anyone better from the FA pool (looks unlikely now that Drmic has signed with Adelaide) or from College hoops (and Illawarra got Naar).

There is a chance Tevin Jackson may finally get a shot, which might not be a bad thing in two or three years time for Brisbane or Perth to poach him.

There's still talk that Majok may be signed, which would pretty obviously be a cover for Nate getting injured, and/or a look to the future for the position.

Kelly has stated he wants imports at 1, 2 and 3, so the team will probably look like:

Import 1/Kenny
Import 2/Heuir (or somebody better)/Kuany
Import 3/Kuany/Waxy
Waxy/Loughton/Loe
Jawai/Loe/Loughton

with a combo guard to be signed, for balance, and that little extra depth of flavour. Or Majok, just to further fill out the forward pack (are they going to change codes to RU, perhaps?)

Maybe.

Reply #687200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol LoveBroker - Wilbekin, Craig, Wilson all top quality imports (eurocup champ, nba 2 way player and Eurocup player) but Cairns only get cheap.

Such a douche

Reply #687218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol LoveBroker - Wilbekin, Craig, Wilson all top quality imports (eurocup champ, nba 2 way player and Eurocup player) but Cairns only get cheap.

Such a douche

Reply #687219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoy the last season of the Taipans. Getting left behind. #obvious

Reply #687221 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I really hope they resign Heiur. He's a solid player all round and is a great three point shooter from either corner. I think he could kick on if they give Weeksys minutes to him.

He's been the Marlins go to guy for the past two QBL seasons - over Weigh, Loughton and Weeks. He's ready for mine.

Reply #687228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #687241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #687242 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Heuir would be a good re-signing. Young, energetic and improving all the time.

I haven't followed his time in the NZNBL but hope he is doing well and Taipans sign him.

Reply #687286 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Heuir had problems consistently producing when he was being given more minutes off the bench last year and overall I thought his previous season with the Taipans was a disappointement, especially given the stellar year he'd had in the QBL. However, I suspect he may do better within a different system, especially after a year in NZ (even if it was still with Pearlman). He was getting far more points in transition and attacking the basket for the Marlins, whereas Fearney was less willing to give him the opportunity to put points up.

So yes, would like to see him back and given another shot. He works so damn hard that I hope it pays off sooner or later.

Reply #687301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:38 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754