Isaac
Years ago

Hawks re-sign Tim Coenraad for two years

The Illawarra Hawks are pleased to announce the re-signing of swingman Tim Coenraad for a further two seasons.

Having played 255 games in the National Basketball League, all with the Hawks, the club are thrilled to have Coenraad returning again.

"Having someone of Tim's calibre returning to the club is big piece of the puzzle" General Manager Mat Campbell told hawks.com.au

“A one club person who represents all we stand for, not just on the court but also off it, is a valuable asset moving forward. We could not be more pleased to have Timmy suiting up again”
I think this is a decent signing. In a questionable Hawks season, I thought Coenraad was still putting in full effort. He can start around other strong players or come off the bench early.

Topic #43250 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

Loyal servant of the club I think it's a good signing especially to lead the Hawks younger players

Reply #687291 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Nice to see guys that can play their entire career with the one team
and yes, I think he still has something to give.

But if this is the big announcement they have been hyping, then they've got problems

Reply #687302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haven't seen any hyping of any announcement. Where are you seeing this?

Reply #687303 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

Coenraad was signed a number of weeks ago, but the Hawks didn't want their first signing announcement to be a returning player.
There's no hyping or mentions of signings outside of Stratford's twitter account, which hasn't mentioned anything big.

Reply #687321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the reason the Hawks have been so average over the years is due to their average core, including Coenraad and Rhys Martin, even Forman and stemming back to Geordie McLeod (overated IMO). Guys like Kevin White and Cody Ellis; the Hawks will never win with this bunch, no matter how good Bevo is

Reply #687326 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Hawks average? Ummm...before last season they had an SF and GF appearance, and with a widely understood tighter budget team.

Can I ask what would be considered as good?

Reply #687329 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

The Hawks have made the playoffs 5 out of the last 9 seasons with this average core. The grand final twice. Seeing as we're in a 8 team league, that averages out to above mean.

Reply #687331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree. Hawks keeping the same guys who were not good enough in prior seasons. Not surprising that their attendances are poor. Time to take some risks and attempt to unearth some new talent.

Reply #687332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks problem this past season was not Coenraad and Martin. Don't know what money AJ is on (*chortle* 400k *chortle*), but reasonable to say that they did not get their money's worth from him.

Reply #687341 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

AJ had injuries last season.

I thought they had a better squad last season than the year before.

Rotnei = Rotnei
Conger > Marvelle Harris.
Johnson = Holyfield.

Aussie core stayed about the same, but the big improvement was Conger over Marvelle.

2 things worked against the Hawks.

1) The league really improved in talent.
2) There may have been morale issues stemming from how Ellis was treated by management above Bevo.

Reply #687342 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Anon #687326, you do realise who the moderator of this forum is? Isaac, you are a better man than me for not jumpin in on that comment.

A lot of people rubbish the likes of Illawarra and Cairns for the lack of talent on their rosters, taking little into account in terms of the lack of funds available to those teams in comparison to the likes of Perth, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. It's hard to put a really good roster together on peanuts, as the defections of the likes of Gliddon, Weeks, Kay and Norton this season alone has testified.

As for taking a risk and unearth new local talent, do you have any suggestions as to whom? Do you think there are basketball prodigies out there, lining up to play NBL, that nobody else knows about?

I think the NBL teams have a pretty good idea of who is about, and whether they have a shot at NBL careers. Those that do, usually get either a DP position or a roster spot somehere along the line.

Reply #687351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the Wildcats were 10 points better than the Hawks in 2017. The Hawks were lucky to reach that grand final.

Reply #687352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Freethrows are you suggesting Anon #687326's comment should be censored or removed? It was valid criticism - you can disagree. You don't have to get butthurt over it. Isaac is Forman's brother, so what? Does that absolve criticism of Forman or the Hawks?

Reply #687353 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ogilvy already had a contract. Then they signed a guy out of college who broke his college's records. Then they bring back a reasonable contributor from past years with no designation of how much he’d play. Not the worst of starts. Who are they meant to be unearthing if not getting a guy like Naar?

Reply #687354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my hawks salary guess
Tim coenraad 32 75,000 to 100,000
AJ 29 200,000 to 300,000
Naar 50,000 to 85,000

money left for 8 players plus DP

650,000 to 700,000

Reply #687357 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

the Wildcats were 10 points better than the Hawks in 2017. The Hawks were lucky to reach that grand final.

The Hawks won Game 3 of the SF even when AJ went down after a few minutes, in that game everyone stepped up including Marvelle Harris who was suffering from the loss of his Father. Their sheer determination in the face of much less talent got them in and thats why many non-Hawks supporters respect the Hawks.

Reply #687362 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

A very good signing I said earlier in the offseason I would've loved it if we picked Coenraad up he's reliable and every now and then wins you a game himself.

Good to see him staying at the Gong when a few years ago they were seemingly ready to move on from him. Hopefully a similar thing happens with Garlepp at the Kings.

Reply #687363 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

The Hawks have made the playoffs 5 out of the last 9 seasons with this average core. The grand final twice. Seeing as we're in a 8 team league, that averages out to above mean.

Yes, and Black Americans really loved their President. Things change!

Hawks made the GF in what was only the first season of the new rules (or lack thereof). And they only made it because:
Gaze can't coach,
Demopolopolis count't coach NBL,
and Joey tanked then had some kind of psychotic break-down.

Without Joey tanking after wrapping up top spot, Hawks would not have even made the finals.

Simple fact remains that every team will need to take another step up next season, to compete against the Super-Kings, and so far all the Hawks have done is gone backwards.

Prior to the brave new world, the Hawks bargain-basement team was a matter of degree. They were probably not far off salary wise, lacked a lot of benefits, and made up some ground with Culture and a good coach.
Now, its chalk and cheese.

Also need to wonder how many times they can keep finding stars, like Conger, without the budget of other teams.

Reply #687372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I tend to agree with AD.

The delta between teams is increasing and increasing, the difference between the Hawks and (say) Sydney, Mel and Perth is probably 2 - 2.5x now.

I don't think an ageing aussie core is going to cut it this year.

Reply #687378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting discussion. It highlights the Hawks dilemma, to stay with what they know and hope for incremental improvement or think outside the square to try to be more than just pretty competitive?

Reply #687386 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I still think the Hawks make a pretty big mistake bringing back the vast majority of the 2017 GF team last season. They were pretty fortunate to make the GF as it was and got a big helping hand from the 36ers and especially Randle in getting there.

It was clear last season a number of guys on their roster were either done or no longer up to it in Martin, White, Ellis & Forman and I think a bit of crossing their fingers and hoping for another minor miracle took place. Conger was certainly an upgrade on Harris but with the large drop off in contributors too much was left to too few. Ogilvy was exposed when more was expected of him.

A bit of a clean slate is what is needed now and with Kay & Norton departing that direction has been forced on the Hawks but re-signing a reliable contributor in Coenraad who can still occasionally step up when the others go missing is a positive in what is hopefully a younger and more exciting Hawks team better suited to Bevo's up tempo style.

Reply #687390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think many will be surprised with the new look make up of the up the Hawks for next season.

They'll still have a few veterans,which every club needs, but there'll be A LOT of youthful energy & enthusiasm in there to complement their import core.
The Hawks WILL surpass expectations yet again.

- Air Delay : )

Reply #687399 | Report this post

Salonpassenger  
Years ago

Coenraad showed enough last season to deserve another contract.

Find it really hard to believe AJ is ok $400k, considering he signed a long term deal before all the crazy money started flying around.

Reply #687453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Find it really hard to believe AJ is on $400k"

*WHOOSH*

Reply #687469 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

I am happy that Timmy Coenraad is still going around. To me he and Jesse Wagstaff epitomise that 2009/2010 season where they were both rookies and Perth and Wollongong (as they still were then) weren't expected to win anything and two of the greatest coaches of the last 10 years (Bevo and Gordie) overperform with young squads.

Reply #687485 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Bevo has proven himself again, and again, and again.

Hawks will be competitive.

It's really interesting because the Kings are shaping up to have a ridiculous roster but they have an unproven coach.

Cairns are more of a worry. Kelly is unproven. Lost their two best Aussies. Jawai really needs to stay fit and get going.

Reply #687553 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754