SomeoneBSA126789
Years ago

BSA State Champs 18 Men predictions

Since theres no writer for state champs in 2018, Ive taken it up to predict the placings for the 18 Mens State Competition. Hopefully anyone with more Knowledge can post the Womens predictions in the comments.

Pool A
1st- Woodville - Have stayed strong throughout Summer...

2nd- Centrals - Strong as always but the lack of second year players may hinder the Lions in the long run a bottom age state trio ... could prove influential on the tide of games.

3rd- North - lacking any major scoring options its hard to see the rockets going into the top 2 ...

4th- Eastern Mavs - As weak a Div 1 side as Mavs have had in a long time ...

5th- Norwood - losing players over the last few seasons, Norwood struggled in the Summer Season and also the Easter Classic, but with solid young play off the bench, this team has potential next year

Pool B
1st - Sturt -looking at the lineup of this side, its hard to picture Sturt dropping a game all tournament, ... you have a near unbeatable team when switched on

2nd - West - A surprising Jump into the 2nd spot, this team is a threat to most teams in the tournament with their relentless offense ...

3rd - Forestville - An inch separates the Bearcats from the Eagles, and that inch comes down to consistency within the eagles team, ...

4th - South - ... the lack of depth off the bench and scoring wings is the downfall for this south team.

5th - Southern - Despite exciting play from young players ..., the tigers dont have the height or fire power to compete with the bigger teams in the tournament, the boys will put up brave efforts in every game, but will ultimately come up short.

SF #1 Woodville V West
Winner- Woodville
A clash between two of the strongest scorers in the state... ... West don't have the defensive capability to match the Warriors offensive threat, and will fall short despite a brave effort

SF #2 Sturt V Centrals
Winner- Sturt
Sturts Dominance has been proven time and time again and this will be their toughest tournament to date, dealing with a strong team from Gawler who aren't new to the big stage,.... but ultimately a battle Hardened, Strong, determined Sturt side boasting 5 State players for SA Metro will come out on top. this is likely to be the biggest game of the tournament as blow for blow will be traded until the final horn.

Bronze Medal Game- Centrals v West
Winner- Centrals
West have had a run of a lifetime and have played well all tournament and now face a team which could easily be playing for gold rather then Bronze. Wests biggest weakness in their inability to protect the paint from Bigs, and scoring guard who can get to the ring as they have no true center to lean on. and this could be the reason why west dont have a great chance as centrals large talented lineup will pose more problems then 1 on the final day of the tournament. ...

Gold Medal Game- Woodville v Sturt
Winner- Sturt
The final game of the tournament sees the two best teams meet. the shooting and firepower of Woodville versus the Locked in Defensive Mentality of the Sabres. The heavy load carried by Woodvilles starting group will be an admiral effort, but the Warriors bench will likely have no answer for the Sabres talented pieces off the bench. ...

(Mod: This post has been heavily edited to remove the names of players under the age of 18, per forum guidelines on the naming of U18 players with commentary on their ability, for better or worse. Where possible, I've left an ellipsis to indicate content has been removed.)

Topic #43256 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone's put in the effort but there is a rough guide against naming U18 players. What do you want me to do? Some paragraphs would be pruned to nothing if names are removed.

Reply #687443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

eagles are one of the most rounded teams in the comp, you have no idea what you are talking about

Reply #687446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#eaglesdad

Reply #687448 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Please remove names, this drives me crazy! These kids can be 15 still FFS.

Reply #687464 | Report this post

SomeoneBSA126789  
Years ago

Originally I intended to not use names, but since BSA is now posting stats on players, and I wasnt bad mouthing any junior competitor, I decided it wasnt a major concern.

Reply #687467 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

I agree hoops has a policy around naming kids under 18. The OP should be written from a team perspective. The kids don't need extra pressure to be the reason their team will win or lose. One of the reasons why BSA took so long to use the stadium scoring was the issue around posting junior player stats.

Reply #687472 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SomeoneBSA, the guideline is also about posting complimentary information in the interest of not inflating or deflating kids. I really appreciate the work you put in but I'll prune it and leave a note to that effect. If there's more you can add from a team perspective, go for it.

Reply #687481 | Report this post

The Mask appears  
Years ago

glad someone mentioned 2018 junior state champs - the conversation we needed to have on the boards.

Fville to win U18 G with Sturt runner up - West will be up and about as well.

Boys - overall - North will go close for State, North to win reserves.

State boys quite even and hardly a foregone conclusion.

Girls - overall - Fville - girls should sneak in state over Sturt (only due to u12s) - reserve close between Fville and Sturt.

Overall - if Fville win state girls and reserve girls they should win the overall again.

Reply #687495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reserve Boys North
Reserve Girls Norwood or maybe Sturt
Reserve Trophy Norwood

State Boys Sturt
State Girls Sturt
State Trophy Sturt

There is no "overall" trophy

Reply #687539 | Report this post

Well Read  
Years ago

It'd be great if BSA would update Sports TG so some of us knew when, where and IF we are playing tomorrow morning! The last games of the night should have finished over an hour ago

Reply #687593 | Report this post

Killer  
Years ago

OP, Norwood u18 men have finished 3rd in pool A. A lot has been said about the Flames losing players but nothing about the new players brought in. Not a bad effort sonce your prediction had them last.

Reply #687594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The OP was predicting his thoughts about where teams would finish. Norwood drawing with a bad Eastern and beating a bad North in final meaningless game hardly has top teams quaking in boots about resurgence. Top 3 in that pool means nothing, they only beat North, didn't they lose by 90 in a game in summer?

Reply #687608 | Report this post

Killer  
Years ago

That was summer, different season and different team now. Just saying give credit where credit is due. Pushed Woodville and just lost to a strong Central by 6. They are travelling nicely at the moment

Reply #687626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Norwood are as shit as Eastern and just a bit better than a shitter North.
So new players mean that couldn't get current players any better so we'll go out and get players from elsewhere to replace them, typical Norwood.

Reply #687628 | Report this post

Killer  
Years ago

Norwood just won the playoff for 5 & 6. So finishing 5th in State Champs is a great result.

Reply #687629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is what Norwoods development is all about. They spell development R E C R U I T M EN T. If you hope to get better as an individual go elsewhere

Reply #687630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee people relax. All clubs recruit to fill gaps. All clubs improve by development of kids as well as welcoming new kids from all sources. The hate here over Junior basketball is sad and embarrassing.

Reply #687631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

631 relax, you are making way too much sense. That goes against the grain.

Reply #687633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

628 and 630 (clearly the same person)

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

631 has said it as well as can be said.

It's a real shame that people like you carry on the way you do. It's highly embarrassing to SA basketball.

Reply #687635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was 628,nothing to do with 630 so you're way off again.
Clubs do get players from other clubs seeking more opportunities, but a few clubs actively poach players. Norwood one of them.

Reply #687636 | Report this post

Killer  
Years ago

Nobody from the current 18 side has been poached. 2 guards have come from other clubs and they sought out Norwood. The rest of the team have been developed from lower grades and now are well coached and their performances are showing. Don't know why all the haters are here but these boys after being predicted to finish last have just had a successful Staye Championship finishing 5th. Congrats boys for lifting yourself of the canvas to a competitive team who fights hard all the way.

Reply #687639 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Surprised by Sturts lack of appearance in boys GF from 12-16 boys both state and reserve. Good to see the girls sides being well represented though. North looked very strong across the boys program from 12-16s.

It was a better ran event this year, IMO.

Forestville girls club 18
North boys club 18

I think?

Reply #687641 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Oops I think maybe Sturt girls club!

Reply #687642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there any news on which clubs won what overall club awards

Reply #687646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.basketballsa.com.au/news-and-events/news/sa-junior-championships-presentations-2018

Reply #687651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never said players were poached to 18s. But you really must be new if you don't know the history of players being poached to go there in previous years. Anyway,well done on the current team getting 5th, that's sincere.

Reply #687662 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That's great about the Norwood 18 boys, good achievement. What i have learned from my time at that club is that when the right group of parents and kids are together, awesome things happen but the club lacks continuity and leadership so it is always hit and miss across each grade with the exception of 14 boys lead by a coach who has dedicated his time to that age group for many years.

I think the weekend was run really well and i saw some great basketball being played in great spirits on the most part.

Reply #687673 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

took another look at the 18A division in the Nunawading basketball tournament, looks like West bounced back strong from their last loss to Norwood in state champs.

Reply #692186 | Report this post

BC  
Years ago

You waited all this time and that's the best you can come up with?

Nunawading counts as bouncing back? You must be new to basketball.

Hope you're enjoying it champ.

Reply #692187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ha ha 186
West bounced back defeating Norwood at Nuddawading.
Norwood have just lost one of their better guards for the season but even so just beat West easily again last game. Great seeing these boys putting in great performances despite having some trying to shoot them down.

Reply #693205 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:38 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754