Todd
Years ago

Get Brett Brown to coach Boomers

We should get Brett Brown to coach the Boomers just for the World Camps and Olympics.

Consider the following examples:
1. Socceroos having Van Marwijk just for the world cup
2. Opals coach Sandy Brondello having Olaf Lange coach the team while she coaches WNBA.

Topic #43258 | Report this topic

Reality  
Years ago

Brown will surely be to busy to be head coach?

Reply #687442 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Or Dean Vickerman.

Reply #687447 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

If Brett Brown is busy, their alot of coaches who want the challenge to win the first medal for Australia.

I'm very sure that their are 1000 coaches in the NBA or College or Europe who are better than Lemanis who might like the challenge.

Reply #687449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's Lemanis done so wrong?

Reply #687450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis made a horrible call down the stretch that stopped us getting our first ever Olympic medal

Reply #687452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brown coached Australia at a World Champs (got smashed in round of 16, wins over only Jordan by a point, weakened Germany and Angola) and an Olympics (7th, wins over GB, China and Russia in a dead rubber). I'd prefer to go with the guy who coached a team to wins over France, Serbia, Lithuania and went close to beating the USA and Spain. Those teams are ranked 1-4 and 6 in the world.

Reply #687454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was worse was Brown played a style that had horn sets and players just standing in the corners , a style that didn't suit the strengths of our team then and wouldn't now. Defensively he tried to be a physical grinding team, which generated few cheap points.

Maybe Brown has learned his lesson about international basketball, but I wouldn't be trading something that's working for something that didn't work previously.

Reply #687455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed that you have to give Lemanis another go at it at the world champs. He had the team playing good basketball in Rio and you could tell that player chemistry was great. Maybe we have to revisit if we have a poor performance at world championships but why change what is working? Personally I think he's done a great job.

Reply #687456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best local coach is Beveridge by a mile and should be the national coach

Reply #687458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Brett Brown makes a lot of sense if available. This team will be built around Simmons who he already knows how to use well, plus with so many NBA players going to be in the team, I think it may change our style of play slightly.

Reply #687460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Simmons angle is the only way Brett Brown makes sense. Everyone seems to have forgotten him in charge of the Boomers (except one person above) and how he massively underacheived in the NBL with $$$$ at the Kings.

But the general idea of this topic is valid - there are many coaches out there superior to Lemanis. The guy cost us a medal at the Olympics and also had that embarrassing amateur attempt at tanking.

Reply #687468 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

I am not a big Lemanis fan but the boomers played their best basketball ever at an Olympics or World Championships under him at Rio. It wasn't just the players we had but how we played. We had one bad game!

Reply #687477 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I think Brown has grown as a coach since his Boomers stint and he would certainly know how to build an offence around Simmons. Most commentators are extremely positive about how Brown has coached the 76ers. So I think he'd be a good option, but I can't see him taking any time out from coaching Philly in the next two years, when he is trying to make his name as an NBA coach!

I agree that Lemanis has done enough to deserve a crack at the World Champs next year. If I was BA, I'd want to see how he goes there (integrating Simmons, Exum and Maker with the established players) and then re-evaluate for the Olympics.

Reply #687479 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"Lemanis made a horrible call down the stretch that stopped us getting our first ever Olympic medal"

"The guy cost us a medal at the Olympics"

How so?

Reply #687482 | Report this post

The Original JR  
Years ago

Brown would be too busy these days with the 76ers. The team was not loaded with nba players when he coached. I believe only Bogut and Mills we nba'ers in those days. Lemanis has a much better team at his disposal. With the current Boomers team I believe Brown would be infinitely better than Lemanis but don’t see it happening. Why not an import coach? Does it have to be an Australian if the best Australians aren’t available? Don’t think Bevo is at that level either.

Reply #687552 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

I'd rather Bras Stevens at this point because he’s out coached Brown in the playoffs

Reply #687612 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754