Thunder Jam
Years ago

DKD to Taipans?

Dexter to Cairns is the mail.
Can't see this being a good move at all.

Topic #43293 | Report this topic

CT  
Years ago

FFS. I guess that bench won't warm itself.

I think this sadly means that heuir won't be back.

Reply #688010 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Confirmed

Reply #688011 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

LOL at Cairns fans thinking Cairns is above DKD.

Reply #688012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DKD will surprise some people, just needs a consistent role on a team. He can really shoot and score the ball and could be a great spark off the bench.

Reply #688016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks DKD.

Reply #688018 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I know for sure that Cairns fans are above you, LoveBroker.

DKD a smokey for MIP, but my pick is Ngatai

Reply #688019 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

He has the tools to be a good player, just lacks a lot of confidence.

Reply #688020 | Report this post

J  
Years ago

DKD was a great bench spark for Perth before Steindl "arrived". It was really disappointing to see him fall out of the rotation for a 20 something % sharpshooter... It would not surprise me if he averages 10pts per game, not bad for a bench player.

Reply #688023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the team is becoming the Cairns Wildcats, the washed-up Wildcats at that

Reply #688027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth announced it on their IG page, before Cairns could even announce their own player signing

Reply #688028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think DKD had plenty of chances in last two seasons to really stamp himself. Just like a bruton or harvey when they joined the league.

The end result when he came on was different. When the cats were struggling for offense and needed scoring he would come on and miss. Very quickly relegated to bench warmer after that.

Even before Stendl came I remember him having open shots he missed. Did little to make the coach change his mind about him.

To be solid in this league you dont get a lot of chances to your prove yourself and thats what happened to him.

Maybe with the right coach and more play time he can turn into a great weapon. I dont think Gleeson has shown he can develop any talent - something that may count in DKD's favour.

Reply #688029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DKD joining Kenny, Walker and Jawai, and even Loughton as former Wildcats in Cairns

Reply #688030 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Hopefully he makes the most of his chances if this rumour is true.

Reply #688032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hopefully he makes the most of his chances if this rumour is true."

Not a rumour, been confirmed by Wildcats and cairns

Reply #688033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Hogwash http://www.nbl.com.au/news/article/41888-cairns-snare-another-wildcat-in-dexter-kernich-drew

Reply #688034 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

OK. Anons .

Reply #688036 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Thank God

(Please sign Greg Hire, Please Sign Greg Hire, Please ...)

Reply #688037 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"LOL at Cairns fans thinking Cairns is above DKD."

No, just Greg Hire.

Reply #688040 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

DKD is the highest scoring Aussie in the SEABL just above Drimic.
I think with less pressure and some more minutes he will do well for Cairns.

Reply #688043 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Actually make that 2nd

Reply #688044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth announced it on their IG page, before Cairns could even announce their own player signing"

That's because Taipans have put an embargo on media releases until night time so the media don't get wind of any news before they announce it. If you think I'm joking I'm not. WTF are they doing actively trying to put a freeze on the press? Hopefully they realise now you can't stop being beaten to news with the Wildcats example.

Reply #688048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I dont think Gleeson has shown he can develop any talent - something that may count in DKD's favour."

Exactly. This move away from him could do wonders for DKD now.

Reply #688050 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think Dexter will really benefit and some may snicker at this but this shows that more teams are needed because potentially really good players need chances and DKD wasn't getting that at Perth.

I've always liked Goulding but at Gold Coast behind Deleon, Gibson, Harvey and Cadee, we witnessed Goulding struggling for court time. Whilst I'm not suggesting that DKD will have a 50 point game in a few seasons time, I think him scoring 25 in a game isn't out of the question and I hope that he does that several times and he wouldn't be a bad player to pick for Fantasy but I still think that Ngatai will be better value

Reply #688054 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"I think with less pressure and some more minutes he will do well for Cairns."
So playing in a winning team, where he could come on in junk time with a license to shoot, was more pressure than a struggling team where he'll be expected to contribute??

And even if that were true, htf is that a good thing?

The difference between the guy who can bomb 10 straight at practice, and a player who contributes to a win, comes down to how well they handle pressure.

Reply #688106 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

" I dont think Gleeson has shown he can develop any talent"

Yeah, cos thats the job of the head coach, looking after the DP's.

Lets not pretend this is any more than what it is. Cairns have no money, so they are signing anyone they can get for the league minimum.

Reply #688107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD needs to get laid. Has a super hard on for the Snakes grabbing players that fit the new direction.

Returning college kids, few other edge players to choose from - didn't have to pick DKD. It’s ok mate, go have a lie down

Reply #688110 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Yeah, cos thats the job of the head coach, looking after the DP's

Isn't that at least part of the Head Coach's job?

I understand the HC can delegate much of the individual development to the Assistant Coach(es) but they are still part of the group and need to understand the system / schemes.

Reply #688111 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Returning college kids, few other edge players to choose from - didn't have to pick DKD. "
So what are you saying? That there are worse players than DKD in Australia? Ok, yes there are.
I'd assume that Kelly has been watching him play for the Tigers, and likes what he sees.

Reply #688129 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"I understand the HC can delegate much of the individual development to the Assistant Coach(es) but they are still part of the group and need to understand the system / schemes."

True, true, but the poster was citing DKD as evidence that Gleeson didn't develop players.
The simple fact is that most players do improve in the Wildcats system.
But if you're going to blame a young fringe-player's lack of progress on the coaching staff, then that would definitely be the assistants and development staff.

Reply #688130 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Laid, LoveBroker also needs to be

Reply #688143 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

the clue's in his name. maybe he's spent all his centrelink cash this week so he's a bit antsy.

Reply #688183 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:39 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754