Anonymous
Years ago

NBL close to securing landmark free-to-air television deal

It's closer than everyone thunks

"..Kestelman confirmed all five Australian networks have shown interest in working with the NBL and he is buoyant of securing a contract in the next "30 to 60 days"."
"“All five free-to-air networks have shown interest and we feel confident that basketball will have an expanded viewer platform for next season.

“I've got the best people in the business helping me with this in former respected AFL administrators Andrew Demetriou and Ben Buckley.

“Andrew is now coaching the advisory board and Ben is the right-hand man to lead all the discussions for the right deal.”

Kestelman stressed he would make choose the right network to further push basketball.

“I will do what is right for the sport,” he said.

“Even if it is a better commercial deal for me, I still won’t do it if it doesn’t suit basketball.

It's a paywall article sorry but things are still progressing off season.

Topic #43315 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/resurgent-nbl-competition-closing-in-on-landmark-freetoair-television-deal-with-a-commercial-network/news-story/9aedb5f9ac373fa8a2b4289be2044fc6

Great news, sounds like things are heading in the right direction. Hopefully get a good deal and some great coverage next season.

Reply #688428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's the paywall article no one can read.

Reply #688430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, it's working for me and I don't have a subscription?

Reply #688433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read it, a rather vague hype up piece.

It said Ch9 and 10 are front runners.

Reply #688434 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

LK the god

Reply #688440 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

All the LK bashers are getting pushed further under their rocks where they live. Can you even imagine if BA were still in charge where we'd be with this TV situation... or anything for that matter.

LK thank you! This will be big.

Reply #688441 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

BA got a FTA deal that paid the league money. LK is yet to do that

Reply #688442 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I've always said to the people whining that certain teams aren't doing well that they should wait for the TV deal - well it's coming. And within 60-90 days we should get the biggest indicator yet of where this league is heading. A decent TV deal on a commercial channel that cares enough to push and promote the league will do wonders.

Reply #688453 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

No surprise they are all interested now that Bogut is playing. So every team will likely have 4 games on free to air - when they play Sydney

Reply #688455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes LK is paying for the TV coverage. Because no one wanted it. Last I heard was $3mill.

Reply #688457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucky you were in the room for those negotiations.

Reply #688458 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Sounds to me like it will be a shared deal between Fox and Channel 9 or 10. Hopefully its main channel exposure too not on One or GEM. Good signs though, he's got the best in the business negotiating.

Reply #688459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully we still get every game live still on the internet for $5.00 a mouth. I'd hate to lose that for only a few games on free to air.

Reply #688466 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Yes LK is paying for the TV coverage. Because no one wanted it. Last I heard was $3mill."

Pfft, shut up you moron. You heard nothing.

Reply #688468 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Good to hear there is interest, but frankly it would be embarrassing if there wasn't considering the Boomers vs USA rights will be attached to the deal. I'd say that the 'we'll get the best deal for basketball even if it isn't the best commercial deal' talk is in response to offers from networks who are willing to pay for those games but not willing to commit to the actual NBL product.

Reply #688469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good job ME. There is no I in team but there is a ME.

Reply #688475 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

If it comes off, this will be huge.

For the foreseeable future, the NBL needs mainstream media to attract mainstream sponsors (ie some of those with deep pockets and businesses to cross-promote the sport with like HJ's was with discounts and freebies last season).

If it comes off, could we have a network localising the broadcast like 7 do with AFL? On Qld and NSW channels, they televise the "local" teams’s games. In practice this means I can often choose between 2 games in the same or overlapping time slots. It’s usually a supposedly good game and a “local team” game. This could potentially mean 2 states getting a broadcast of game X, with some other games going nation-wide as a “game of the day” deal. SBS can’t offer that advantage.

Whichever network takes it, they’ll obviously also want Boomers’ games longer term, especially when the NBA guys can play. Potential or reigning Olympic medallists tend to attract that sort of interest.

Even getting this article published in the Newscorp paper that’s the biggest self-interested promoter of NRL is a big step forward.

LK isn’t perfect, but his promotion of the product seems to be attracting more commercial interest than we’ve ever had since the good old 1980s and early 1990s.

Reply #688477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the goal for this broadcast deal isn't about making a huge profit, it's about getting the best mainstream exposure to draw in fans and sponsors. In another few years or so is when the NBL will try signing big contacts for big profits.

Reply #688478 | Report this post

Habsa  
Years ago

A similar concept at NBA league pass should work.
NBL games all still on app for monthly fee. If the game is on FTA tv is will be blacked out on the app to make you tune in. I think that will be the model TV would be happy with. Win win either way. Full replays accessible on app though

Reply #688479 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Yeah the goal of this deal would be exposure and not having to pay for the broadcasts anymore. I think Fox has all the Boomers games for a number of years but NBL has the two Team USA v Boomers game next year as I think the NBL are the promoters for the event. Those two games are arguably more important for a broadcaster than any qualifiers or World Cup games.

Reply #688484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit off topic here. So the NBL allows an Asian player to be considered a local? Do they have any television deals in China, India, etc?

Reply #688493 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"Even if it is a better commercial deal for me, I still won't do it if it doesn’t suit basketball.

“That is how the sport got itself into trouble in the first place."

clear dig at BA, and on target IMHO

Reply #688495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's wait and see. We were hearing that expansion was close too but haven't heard anything this off season yet.

Reply #688496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expansion is the following season.

Reply #688502 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Fox offered the NBL more money to stay , BA took less money and the FTA upside

LK doing nothing new here

Reply #688504 | Report this post

Habsa  
Years ago

^^incorrect. OneHD were throwing around big $$.
Fox sports were not in ballpark $$ wise, especially after the viewing
Numbers of NBL games on fox sports were poor

Reply #688507 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

The contract BA signed with TEN sounded good in principle but it was the 'near live' clause in the contract that hurt.

Reply #688510 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

Sorry Habsa you are off the mark and incorrect

Reply #688520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Habsa - the One money was not "big" by any means. It was a pittance.

Reply #688529 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The NBLs deal with Ten/One was because they had just launched a sports channel and needed content, they even gave Carfino his own show. They had IPL which they eventually had the rights to and didn't even show. It’s fair to say BA fell into a good situation for a year before Murdoch stripped the sports aspect and Ten pulled a 180 to try and get away from the NBL as quickly as possible.

Seven and Nine are full of sports content, if they want the NBL then it’s credit to how far things have progressed in a few years and probably the canny workings of leveraging Aussies in the NBA.

The channel Ten who screwed the NBL on multiple occasions is probably gone with the CBS takeover - they’ve only got Motorsport so there’s potential for NBL to have a good working relationship with Ten. Only issue is how keen Ten are to push how many hours of NBL in an area that’s already got a glut between cricket tennis and soccer. There may be more nonsports market to grab than sports market both eyeballs wise and advertiser dollars.

Reply #688537 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

A good question is - what's an ideal realistic scenario broadcasstbwise for the NBL?

For instance: a multi year deal as follows...

Fixtures spanning Thurs-Sunday aside from key holidays: NYE, Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, Australia Day.

Every game live on Fox Sports and NBL TV;
3 games a week Live on Ten - Friday night; Sat night; Sun arvo (does this clash with V8s?)

Either games favoured to local market if available; or Ten aren’t so keen on giving up so many prime time nights we could see greater number of Perth games on Friday nights pushing back prime time factor.

Sunday pregame show with highlights of prev matches on Ten

Broadcast controlled by NBL for consistency and quality

Reply #688541 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

If Ten pick up the coverage, I hope there's an iron clad agreement to show games live as intented - not a loosely worded verion of "near-live". Even if the people at Ten now are different to those who shafted the league, I still cant trust this network.

Personally I would like to see Seven get the coverage (if not, then 9). They are the biggest and most successful network, have the best ratings, and their secondary chanels 7mate and 7two are much more popular than One.

Reply #688545 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Channel 7 just got the rights to the cricket including the Big Bash signing with them would be disastrous.

Nine (Tennis) or Ten (no more Big Bash) are the only sensible options.

Reply #688547 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Ten have the A-League and I thought they still had the BBL? If 7 have BBL as well then yeah I'd rather the NBL on 9. Although tennis takes up a lot of prime time too.

Reply #688548 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Haz -

Seven and Fox have all cricket between them - Seven has 40ish Big Bash games and all home test matches.

Seven also has the tennis in 2019.

Nine has nothing in summer 2019; Tennis including Australian Open in 2020.

Ten has Motorsport and one game of a league per week on ONE (not on Ten)

Reply #688549 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

It's almost a joke to suggest that channel 10-one has Motorsport as they basically only show MotoGP live and predominantly the coverage of Supercars and F1s is highlight packages...

It was asked if NBL would clash with Supercars and the answer is Bathurst weekend, Gold Coast and Newcastle but I'd hope that NBL would alter their schedule around things such as Bathurst (I absolutely hate that NBL games are played in NSW that weekend, let Motorsport have that weekend and get Illawarra and Sydney to have Doomsday Doubles or Sunshine swings (can Brisbane be included in that?).

I would love to have channel 7 have the NBL but not under the current sporting landscape, it has to be channel 9... but my fear is that they will use NBL to promote NRL season non-stop and then try and put NBL on GEM or GO! when playoffs come around to appease their NRL audiences but we can only hope that the NBL is a ratings winner and that channel 9 will want to show playoffs on main channel.

Reply #688552 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Thanks KET. Well in that case Channel 9 would be my preference then. I just can't trust Ten even with new management. And honestly if it gets put on Gem or Go its still a great outcome. I dont see that as being a big problem. It would already be a massive upgrade on SBS and definitely ABC as far as ratings and commercial potential.

And dont forget a lot of AFL is shown on 7mate so to keep things in perspective, for the NBL to be shown on Go or Gem would still be a big win for the sport.

Reply #688559 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

If 9 gets it Bill Lawry could do special comments.

Imagine him and homicide trading cheap shots.

Reply #688564 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I wouldn't be overly happy if NBL wasn't put on a HD channel and I don't believe Go or 7mate are HD>

Reply #688566 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

He wants to get it on free to air so his investments in clubs and the league increase in value..hence it doesn't matter about commercial money back into the league rather exposure!

Its two fold is money into the league vital in the short/medium terms compared to exposure? Depends how deep owners pockets really are and how long teams can sustain losses.

In the long term its building value in his investments which is where the rel payoff is lets not forget ROI is the king!

Reply #688568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was that rant above about Bathurst? LOL, that race is irrelevant in this day and age. It is a relic of the past, no one cares for it anymore except the older generation bogan Ford and Holden fans. Hahahaha, what a hilarious viewpoint. NBL playing that weekend is fine.

Reply #688584 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

right on, Bathurst is just the lynch pin in a 30 million dollar rights payment to Supercars

Akin to saying no one cares about the AFL grand final.

Reply #688605 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You just compared Bathurst to the AFL grandfinal...

Reply #688608 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

My point is that if AFL and Supercars had nothing but the GF and Bathurst they would still attract significant FTA deals

Hopefully LK having the Australia v USA game right is the same

For the record Bathurst pulls eyeballs globally than AFL

Reply #688627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ AFL and Bathurst in the same sentence as "globally" bwahahaha!

Reply #688645 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

"For the record Bathurst pulls (more) eyeballs globally than AFL"

Very appropriate visual.

Pulling/stabbing etc eyeballs was an established method of torturing those heretics who didn't follow the orthodox view. Exactly how I feel about the V8s.

Reply #688683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #688822 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:13 pm, Tue 16 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754