Woody
Years ago

Basketball SA Youth League

Can anyone answer why this competition is just so flat out awful? It is really bad to watch and more like a social competition than a flagship SA Youth league

Topic #43321 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not long ago it was pushed as the feeder programme to premier league and clubs supported it. Then about four seasons ago only Southern, sturt and Norwood entered in strong teams, southern and sturt because they had depth and Norwood had ex players like Sapwell playing reserves.
Then everyone decided to go with reserves and bsa put it on back burner. Now it's just for guys to play with mates from 18s that cant/dont want to play seniors. Rumour was competition going back to under 20s.

Reply #688652 | Report this post

Gun Dad  
Years ago

not that long ago U18 girls had a 9-10 team div comp - now we have a div 2 comp that has adopted some div 3 teams. Some clubs have had ghost teams taking up byes in the program for so many years now the reasoning behind that has long been proven incorrect. don't know if U20s are the answer

Reply #688658 | Report this post

Gun Dad  
Years ago

sorry that should be u18 girls had a 9-10 team Div 3 comp

Reply #688659 | Report this post

Solly  
Years ago

BSA needs to fix it as it's the biggest joke in their competitions currently. 20's would be a more positive move IMO. But I think it's just a $ cash cow for BSA as a social comp

Reply #688671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Div 1 teams are made up of kids that were div 3/4 just a couple of years ago. Sure some do improve as they get older and mature but in reality it's coz its become social. 23s are in no man's land, don't fall under junior umbrella anymore and premier league coaches don't care or spend resources on them.

Reply #688677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OP

What nights have you been watching? If you are watching on a Monday you are seeing low divisions so of course the standard is bad. Most of the players playing division 1 have played division 1 throughout juniors.

The standard of division 1 can't be too bad when some teams have PL players in them!

Like most of the competitions in SA, there is a couple of strong teams and then it drops away, that pattern is obvious from PL all the way down, I suggest if you want to see a good u23 div 1 game go and watch any of the top 4 teams play each other!

Reply #688696 | Report this post

Head screwed on  
Years ago

Who cares about the standard really?
From what I understand most clubs have moved their pathway to u18s then senior men 1s then prem league reserves.
But you have 50+ teams worth of players between the ages of 17-22 that are playing in this league!
If you move it to be only u20s where are these kids going to go?
Seniors? They already have a full 5 divisions and you try to convince anyone to play divisions 6-10!!!
Social? Most stadiums are already full or playing games after 10pm and you want to talk about terrible quality go watch a D grade social game!!

Yes you might have an arguement that on the women's side you could SPLIT he age group but I don't understand why everyone thinks cutting 3 years worth of players is going to make MORE people play!?!?!
I could see an arguement if you split u20 and u23 then those stepping out of u18s play only people two years older then them (or more importantly play with people 2 years older then them) then move to u23s when more mature.

If all those players are happy playing in a "glorified social comp" (as I hear it commonly referred) then good on them and let them!!

Reply #688698 | Report this post

Gun Dad  
Years ago

really needs more participation in lower grades to stay up with attrition rates. A few clubs struggling for numbers. yet still we have ghost teams occupying a bye in so many junior grades. what business open franchises with empty shops ? what govt dept advertises but no dept exists ? really the reasoning behind keeping teams out of grades because they have one team in already and keeping a bye is proven wrong and long outdated but still we have it - best juniors having byes because we wait for a ghost team.

Reply #688722 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

I watch D1 and I couldn't imagine the standard of lower grades if this is our premier youth competition. Sorry, teams muck around and have coaches or no coaches that treat it like a social comp fixture.
BSA dropped the ball big time with this Youth League concept

Reply #688745 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is that BSA's fault?

Surely this is as much if not more a club issue? When the clubs take over all competitions in September I can't wait to see you all understand BSA isn't all powerful and to be blamed for everything wrong in the sport.

Reply #688767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clubs taking over BSA Comp = recipe for disaster!

Reply #688768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

23's is a mess get rid of it! Clubs can't do any worse than BSA has

Reply #688774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A big part of the drop off is attributed to the number of players going over to college, the first two years of youth league the competition had a very high standard and then more and more began to leave. IMO could still be a successful comp if it was a seperate night to reserves especially during winter when college kids are back and trying to keep match fit but in the current set up almost a glorified social comp.

Reply #688775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So lets have the same kids play PL, Reserves and YL each week. Plus Uni. Plus Trainings.

This is the reason we're in this mess. Basketball expects too much from the elite kids. 12month of the year commitment multiple games, trainings, indis, state, NITP each and every week. Kids quit to get a life. We should be expecting less commitment not changing nights so they have to play another night/game. And pay for another game as well.

Reply #688780 | Report this post

JD  
Years ago

You are either joking, a parent of a YL player trying to pretend your kid plays in a high level comp, or a player in YL who is nowhere near as good as he thinks.

The standard of YL is an absolute disgrace. Social comp, nothing more. That included D1 level, and yes I do see those games a lot.

Reply #688812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep I agree it is a bloody terrible competition and you should blame the BSA development model and it's High Performance manager who has no care about anything but himself. Shame on BSA as this is their fault 110%. No care and no consideration put in at all

Reply #688815 | Report this post

Karen  
Years ago

The YL problem is...
If you are too good you go play college
IF you are good, you generally play ressies (if you are 20yrs+)
If you are not good and lost all through juniors, you quit

So it leaves this huge gap of average players.

Now a solution to fix at the club level is, combine your D1 YL with your PL squad, use it as training fodder and a feeder system. But easier said then done because most PL coaches dont know if they will see the fruits of their labour by the time those 23s come through.

North YL have done this a couple guys who played YL in summer are now playing ressies and coming off the bench in PL

Reply #688848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

any decent PL coach would have their YL 1's training with premier league

Reply #688855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you going to have 20 plus in your premier league training squad. And as mentioned, majority of 23 1s are more in it for social.
The makeup previously would be if reserves needed a player they would grab it from 23s, most clubs don't do that these days.

Reply #688864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you going to have 20 plus in your premier league training squad. And as mentioned, majority of 23 1s are more in it for social.
The makeup previously would be if reserves needed a player they would grab it from 23s, most clubs don't do that these days.

Reply #688866 | Report this post

'  
Years ago

some clubs have good numbers in YL - some hardly any - so that template of one setup suits all clubs will not work. What people need to realize it has got worse since this one team per club per division rule in juniors has been enforced. Ghost teams abound - I get around a bit and never see any advertising for our local district club which is really disappointing.

Reply #688869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are ghost teams?

Reply #688884 | Report this post

Karen  
Years ago

most are in it for social?
I bet Woodville losing by 60+ week in week out are loving it! I feel bad for them. I have seen a Woodville 23s game and they were not having any fun.

the bigger problem is player retention guys who are top end 18s play a high level the 2nd tier guys who think they are that level quit because they feel dogged eg centrals, have had a good amount of success at U18s over past 3 seasons but only 2 U23 teams in 5 divs... how? guys who feel they are good enough for reserves quit when their mate makes it and they don't.

It has potential to be great but it's on the clubs
and I assume with YL guys playing the end of bench roles at North that they would have 23s, reserves and PL together so they would have squads of more than 20. Again if clubs sat down and discussed how to effectively get the best from it we could see a good comp.

Reply #688885 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

I agree with most of the above
Our quality for the youth league is dissmal.Yet socially there numbers are great .
The biggest problem with this league is parents and committee members sons getting gigs with below 4 ppg average .Especially when your" gun" coach reiterates a need for scoring to players at training .
When sons of coaches or presidents get walk up to div1 here or even aba reserves with stats like that.They aren't putting club or team 1st.This is their last chance to get their very average sons into a div 1 comp before they don't coach anymore .
A big cleanout needs to happen .
Rockets are big on this,check the creds for Adams and both schilds.
1 example .

Reply #688996 | Report this post

observer  
Years ago

And whats with the Norwood hipsters supporters .Good on them for paying 3 bucks,but to act like tools and try to psyche out players whilst 30 down??
loose 20 kilo.grow 3 ft and join in numb nuts.Youve done your club proud .

Reply #688998 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:19 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754