DaHuzyBru
Years ago

Wildcats confirm Tom Jervis signing

The Perth Wildcats are pleased to announce the return of one of its favourite sons to the West.

Two-time championship player Tom Jervis will be back in red in 2018/19, after signing with the club he began his NBL career with.

http://www.wildcats.com.au/news/article/36874-perth-wildcats-bring-home-tom-jervis

Topic #43330 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So thats eight Aussie players without Hire, who is supposedly part of the plans. I doubt the Cats would only run with two imports with this roster so something has to give.

Reply #688917 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Fantastic news

Reply #688918 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

so something like this

Damo / Norton
Coton / Devondrick Walker
Prather / Steindl
Kay / Wagstaff / Vague
Brandt / Jervis

Obviously can be any 3 imports, but would like to think Cotton may be a little cheaper this season, Prather may want to come home and they get Devondrick who they seemed pretty keen to have for a couple of seasons prior to his injury

Reply #688919 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Could Hire be a training player and or involved in some other capacity

Reply #688921 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

can they have 12 players, but only suit up 11 on game day?

so more of a training player or swapped out with Vague if they more of a Hire type (whatever that is) on a specific night

if not, Hire is a coach of some sort next season

Reply #688923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Cotton is not going to get any cheaper...

Reply #688924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thank God, was starting to get worried we'd take Hire instead of Jervis. Line up looks soo much better imo with Brandt/Jervis at the 5 and an import wing off the bench.

Reply #688925 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Thank God, was starting to get worried we'd take Hire instead of Jervis. Line up looks soo much better imo with Brandt/Jervis at the 5 and an import wing off the bench."

Absolutely.

This is awesome news.

Look, Tommy is no superstar, but having him on the bench gives them some genuine size, and hence a bit more flexibility.
And I think he is much better value than another Derek Cooke.

"can they have 12 players, but only suit up 11 on game day?"

Not really, although of course they can have DPs
But Hire could have an off-court role, can be a training players, and could be used as an injury replacement

Reply #688926 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth will have a deep team, buttressed by quality Aussies across the board.

But there's no elite Aussie. So just as with the past decade, it'll be the imports who provide the match winning ability and ultimately decide their fate.

But, we know Perth is cashed up and they'll sack an import who's not performing.

Assuming they end up with an Ennis or Cotton level import, a good second import and a role playing third, they'll be up there competing for the title again.

Reply #688928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hire is going to be interesting. Options basically are:

-Sign him and have 2 imports. Don't see Perth going with 2 imports given the quality of the league, slim chance if they spend huge and got 2 amazing ones.

-Sign him and release another player to have 3 imports. Pretty unlikely, only one I could see them release is Stiendl, but even that's pretty unlikely unless Stiendl asks to leave.

-keep him as a 'Lucus Walker' type train on/injury replacement with a job at the club. Probably the most likely. Walker had a good impact on the group and Hire would do the same. Hire was originally wanting to be the strength and conditioning coach before he got signed.

-dont sign him, have no role at the club. Would be sad to see him go but a likely scenario imo behind being a train on/have a job.

Reply #688929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^good summary. Option 4 is very likely the rout to be taken

Reply #688937 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

I think there's a reasonable chance that Hire will be retained by the Wildcats and Jervis has been signed instead of a budget, import big-man.

Damo, Norton and a Cotton-like combo guard gives them great depth at the guard positions. Similarly Jervis, Kay, Brandt and Wagstaff is a very solid front court. An import 2/3/4 with Steindl as his backup would round out the majority of their rotation nicely.

I personally would go with 3 imports, but that could be the route they're taking.

Reply #688938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No word on how long the contract with Jervis is for?

Reply #688939 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Yes, could well be that Tommy has been signed instead of a budget import, and I honestly think he provides better value than somebody as raw as Cooke.

Reply #688944 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Until Hire is officially signed I can hold out hope we go with three imports.

Reply #688951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is everyone is so worried about Hire and whether if cut as a player gets an off-court role? This is truly bizzare. When players aren't good enough they get cut, goodbye, seeya later. What makes Hire so special?

Reply #688953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because he's been the vice captain during one of the clubs most successful campaigns. He is admired by many. Maybe he isn't the player he was but it's not the same as parting ways with someone like Kenny or Walker.

Reply #688959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why is everyone is so worried about Hire and whether if cut as a player gets an off-court role? This is truly bizzare. When players aren't good enough they get cut, goodbye, seeya later. What makes Hire so special?"

It looks like it's a possibility given what he provides off the court. Would be like Walker was a couple of years ago and an injury replacement on hand. Plus Gleesons comments the other day make it sound like he may stick around in some capacity.

He was also originally looking to apply for a Wildcats job before he became a player, so probably why he gets linked to an offcourt role more than your average player.

Reply #688960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Because he's been the vice captain during one of the clubs most successful campaigns."

Wow, a vice captain!

Reply #688961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks #688960 that kind of makes more sense.

Reply #688962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wow, a vice captain!"

Wow, an obvious troll!

Reply #688964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In light of a discussion on here just recently about how captain means nothing in the sport of basketball and then someone mentioning he was a vice captain like it means a lot is gold. But clearly you didn't get it, troll.

Reply #688973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh so you because you read a discussion, that means we must all agree with that discussion. Why are you so dumb?

Reply #688979 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Can Perh take Te Rangi too?

Reply #688985 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I'd be really intrigued to see Devondrick back and Big Tommy getting the O boards.

I think this team will be more fun than the passive squad last year... we still need Cotton and Ennis and Devondrick

Reply #689002 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

How deluded thinking Prather would return after the childish crap you lot carried on with.

Reply #689004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What childish crap? Because if you're talking about the rumour that he was lowballed, THAT DIDNT HAPPEN!

Reply #689006 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

People are caring about what happens with Hire, because unlike SOME dickheads, a lot of Perth fans, (for all their other faults :D) are passionately loyal and respect players that have given their all for their club... So keeping Hire around in some capacity is that extension of respect from the club that they can maintain that connection to their fans and community...

That being said, I can't see how Hire fits into this team now if the Cats are still to remain competitive and you know they are ruthless enough to do whatever it takes to keep that edge...

Reply #689017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #689004 needs to relax a bit more.

Reply #689028 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Trading in his uniform, bozo!

Reply #689052 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

Adding to Anon 929's post I think Greg's options will be:

1. Reduced on court role at the Wildcats transitioning him to coaching/assistance with his community roles running A Stitch In Time with a view to him retiring and joining the club in a coaching community development role in the future.

2. Moving to Cairns or Illawarra for possible larger back up roles.

I suspect the Wildcats will offer some kind of role and it will depend on whether he has a significant enough offer elsewhere to uproot his young family. He expressed in his podcast at the end of last season that he wants to continue playing but family is the deciding factor.

Reply #689076 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Perth's Achilles' has often been their 3-point shooting.
I haven't really paid enough attention to know whether Norton and Kay will improve that. Wagstaff is generally good at stretching the D, and Hire was once upon a time.
So big question is whether Steindl can recover his lost form??
If not, I think they need another option off the bench, even if its another Andre Ingram type.

Reply #689104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well i called it both mitch and Tommy 3 weeks ago.

Reply #689112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they retain Cotton and somehow bring Back Casey then they would the early front runners for the titles.

Reply #689113 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL more like Sydney then Melb then daylight then cats move up to 3rd

Reply #689140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin / Norton
Cotton / Dolla Beal ;)
Prather / Steindl
Kay / Wagstaff / Vague
Brandt / Jervis

Reply #689480 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Cotton / Dolla Beal ;)"

Computer Says Noo

Devondrick Walker on the other hand...

Reply #689592 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

D Walker was supposed to be a SF not a SG.

Reply #689595 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:15 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754