Anonymous
Years ago

College eligibility playing premier league

With a number of kids back from college and junior college I was looking at eligibility of them playing in premier league. The rules state to maintain their amateur status they must not play with anyone receiving a financial benefit outside of meals, travel etc. I would say every team has a "professional " on it. For years I was always under the assumption that it was OK for them to play except division One, does this mean they can't play locally, if so what allows them to do so? This includes junior college.

Topic #43365 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

Every team has a professional? Lol

Reply #689544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"prosessional" = getting paid, maybe should have said "semi professional "

Reply #689545 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

The rule is that they can't be paid but they can play with professionals - example Harry Froling was a DP player in NBL, did not affect his eligibility.

Reply #689555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alpha, where is that written. I've always gone by that but reading junior college bylaws it specifically says not to play with paid players.

Reply #689597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I couldn't point to the specific NCAA section, and juco and NAIA rules are different again. But players can even be paid, as long as it's only meeting their costs. That was one of the big things with Enes Kanter at Kentucky - he'd been paid in Europe but was it only enough to cover the costs of living away from home, eating, traveling, etc.? Obviously the eventual NCAA determination was that he'd been paid more than those costs.

This principle seems to have shifted a bit in the last decade, from a point where accepting any money made players immediately and permanently ineligible. I think the increasing international presence has been part of the reason for that, because a lot of Euro kids are involved in semi-pro leagues or professional teams' farm programs from quite a young age. It's also benefited American kids where some have inadvertently accepted funds and rather than having to miss time, they've been allowed to repay them, usually in the form of a charitable donation.

Reply #689603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or an example from closer to home - Gaze at Seton Hall. After their shock run to the NCAA final and Andrew's impact the rules were severely tightened. Also L Gaze was smart in that they were running a bank account in trust.

Reply #689634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Froling hadn't been to college yet.

You can't come back from a D1 school and play.

Reply #689653 | Report this post

Alpha  
Years ago

^read which one, Sam hasn't yet but Harry did (SMU, Marquette)

With NCAA it appears to be more about interpretations than what actually is written in their rule book. The best is to contact them for a clarification but as long as the amateur status can be demonstrated, and yes limited reimbursement is allowed, the eligibility will not be affected. The best is to get clearance from NCAA before any playing arrangements are made.

Reply #689656 | Report this post

ColCon  
Years ago

I have referred to the NCAA rule books numerous times over the past few years and try to keep a good understanding of them. The rules around student-athletes' amateur status haven't changed much in that period. The key points covering the issues raised in this thread are:

- NCAA / NAIA / Juco have their own rules but their 'amateur' rules are all similar (all similar to the NCAA). For NAIA and Juco's players should read the rules or check with their coach;

- In NCAA D1 & D2, players will lose their amateur status if they are paid more than the prescribed expeneses - minor expenses related to travel, meals etc. If you are a college player, or intending to be one, then I recommend to not receive any payments whatsoever or be very carefull if you do;

- In NCAA D1 & D2, an unpaid student-athlete will lose their amateur status if they play on a 'professional' team. In the eyes of the NCAA, a 'professional' is any team with any player being paid above the prescribed expenses. In Victoria, a D2 student-athlete returning on College break would jeopardise their College if they played in SEABL and probably any BigV. They should stick with Youth League (or take a break!)

- Prospective NCAA D1 & D2 students, who have never enrolled in a full-time tertiary course, can play on a 'professional' team until they commence a full-time tertiary course. Students only become 'student-athletes' once they commence college and the rule above then applies;

- NCAA D1 student-athletes cannot play on their college break (unless it is for their college). No such restriction for D2 players.

Hopefully that sheds some clarity and helps prevent any mishaps. Maintaining a position on a college roster can be difficult if a (often new) coach wants a player off the roster to use the scholarship elsewhere. Unfortunately many coaches are ruthless and will use any excuse to withdraw a scholarship which means 'go home & no degree' for most student-athletes. I know of one such case atm, so players be careful, know the rules and dont give anyone an opportunity to end your college experience in a bad way.

Reply #689825 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Straining the memory a bit here, but I think that is why CJ Bruton went to a JC.
I do remember at the time that the Wildcats had to agree to terminate his contract.

Reply #689827 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

- NCAA D1 student-athletes cannot play on their college break (unless it is for their college). No such restriction for D2 players.

Does that include a local domestic competition?

Reply #689885 | Report this post

ColCon  
Years ago

From Bear: Does that include a local domestic competition?

The short answer is 'Yes' - D1 players cannot play in any competition including domestic competitions.

The long answer looking at the 17/18 NCAA D1 handbook:

17.31.2 Outside Competition—Basketball.
A student-athlete who participates in any organized basketball competition except while representing the institution in intercollegiate competition in accordance with the permissible playing season specified in Bylaw 17.3 becomes ineligible for any further intercollegiate competition in basketball (see Bylaws 17.31.3 and 17.31.4 for exceptions and waivers).

17.31.2.1 Organized Basketball Competition.
Outside basketball competition, including competition involving teams with fewer than five players, shall be considered "organized" if any one of the following conditions exists:
(a) Teams are regularly formed or team rosters are predetermined;
(b) Competition is scheduled and publicized in advance;
(c) Official score is kept;
(d) Individual or team standings are maintained;
(e) Official timer or game officials are used;
(f) Team uniforms are used;
(g) Admission is charged;
(h) A team is privately or commercially sponsored; or
(i) Competition is either directly or indirectly sponsored, promoted or administered by an individual, an organization or any other agency.

Certainly all the Melbourne domestic competitions have uniforms or fixtures or ladders or scoring or umpires. I assume 99% of interstate comps will be the same. NB: a competition is 'organised' if it has any one of the above attributes. So if you are D1 then take a break.

I learn something every time I look these things up - it also includes 3x3 competitions!

There are a host of exceptions for National team comps, NCAA sanctioned comps etc but nothing I see that would be relevant for Aussie players on summer-break.

Reply #689947 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

So are any of the exempt competitions outside of the USA?

That would seem to discriminate against "foreign" players, as A,erican players could access their local exempt competitions, whilst import student athletes could not.

It'd get very messy if a few student athletes challenged the exempt comp rules.

Reply #689985 | Report this post

ColCon  
Years ago

If I recall the rules correctly, there are very tight restrictions on US tournaments where students can play for teams other than their college. I don't believe there would be any meaningful discrimination or disadvantage against internationals.

Reply #690028 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754