Dave Q
Years ago

Individual basketball coaching in Sydney for 10 year old

Evening all, hoping someone may be able to help. I am looking for a basketball coach for some ongoing 1-on-1 coaching for my 10yo. We are located in Blacktown, Sydney. He is a OK-ish shooter and I would like to make sure that he has got his technique right at this early age, otherwise it is just that much harder later on.

I have asked his club, no joy. I have contacted some of the more well-known training providers and they seem pitched at a much higher level ($1200 for 8 sessions!). Others who advertise their services are tricky to get a hold of, or don't follow through with promised info.

Anyone know of someone who can help?

Dave Q

Topic #43370 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

10 is pretty young, depends on size strength etc. the club should be teaching basic technique or drills to enchorage good technique then practice at home. I witnessed a individual training session today with a young fella jacking up 3 after 3 when he shouldnt have been shooting as many that far out as wasn't developed for it.

I’m no expert but I’d personally suggest to watch some YouTube videos of shooting technique and go play with him at the local park and have fun. Enchorage the fundamentals and the love of the game and shot will come on over time.

Reply #689631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The word you were looking for is 'son'.

Reply #689633 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Completely agree with the above comment regarding 3 point shooting. I see kids hurling 3 point shots at the rim all the time when they clearly are not there yet in terms of strength. Also agree with the 'fun' comment. Every sport at 10yo should be fun, otherwise why do it?

I have a background in music (which my son as zero interest in lol!) , and in my experience it is far easier to learn correct technique as a youngster, rather than further down the track. Kids who get the right instruction early on tend to progress faster than kids who use 'instinct', at least in music. I am guessing that this also applies basketball, although I obviously have no proof of this.

I know nothing about basketball beyond watching a few dozen coaching vids, so a professional will surely do a better job than me?

Reply #689651 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If you wonder why your shot goes in some of the time but not all of the time ,
then lay down on the floor and shoot upwards and if it's not coming down straight , then your action is wrong...

Reply #689667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Make sure he does well at school and if he's smart enough get him in to Sydney boys high as they run an excellent program there under Mr Hayman.

Reply #689674 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Maybe watch some older kids train or play (say under 16s or 18s)

Look for kids with a fluid shooting motion that is also accurate. Ideally the chosen kid also has good fundamentals in ball handling, passing and defending.

Ask their coach about whom they would recommend. Kids of that age can get involved in coaching in primary school programs.

Perhaps you could offer some music lessons as a swap if the chosen kid is interested.

Paying a professional coach for a 10 y.o. is a bit over the top.

Failing that, YouTube searching for basketball shooting technique could help.

Reply #689735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My mates daughter been getting coaching thru MyHoops Basketball.
He said she improve so much over the last year to where she made
2018 NSW state team.

Reply #689786 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Years ago

Thanks all, appreciate the help.

Reply #689789 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Any coaching needs to be catered for age and level.

Personally, if I'm coaching a 10 year old, my breakdown of coaching would be something like this:

30% handles/dribbling
25% passing (all types of passing)
30% defensive and offensive principles (no basketball involved)
15% shooting (form only and either just in key/just outside key range depending on strength).

handles/dribbling training at a young age can be a huge help (i.e. its not age dependent - dribbling technique won't change). It's important kids know how to pass as very good passing has been forgotten in today's game.

Teaching kids the O/D principles is essential. It's akin to the "Teach a guy to fish once and he can feed for a lifetime" principle.

Reply #689889 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I should say too that with young guys I coach I usually spend the first 20 minutes of each training doing footwork. e.g. going through Jump stops, pivots, jab steps, defensive drop slides, euro-steps, footwork on pull-ups without a basketball etc.

I do so because I found that so many teenagers and even older players today have poor footwork or limited footwork. The common example being things like; guys can't shoot when open because they're not in stance to shoot because they landed on their 'weak' pivot etc. The best basketball players in the world can shoot in any position because their trained to do so - rather than players over this part of the world who will have a 'strong pivot foot' or certain footwork they need to get to to shoot.

Reply #689890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Elite Basketball Development - Shane Heal

Wednesday night at Sutherland Basketball Association

Pretty reasonable cost as well, think its $50 a session

Reply #692722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will also throw in some WNBL picks for free.

Reply #692725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brave plan MACDUB. Seems almost wasteful to spend time preparing your players for the rules of basketball when actually basketball just ignores its own rules more and more all the time. (serious answer - good on you. I really wish fundamentals had been better drummed into me from an early age)

Reply #692726 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754