AngusH
Years ago

Kings sign David Wear

Not sure about this one. I guess he's backing up Kickert/Bogut. Seems like a Kickert-lite.

Topic #43393 | Report this topic

Garlic  
Years ago

Very very wise signing. Kings locked and loaded title faves now. Best roster in nbl history??

Reply #690188 | Report this post

Garlic  
Years ago

I have long admired David Wear from afar

Reply #690189 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Old news by now ;). I suppose the delay is out of respect for the conclusion of the B league.

He's ok I reckon. Not a superstar marquee but will raise your eyebrows every now and then. Unlike Perry Ellis, he has poor lower body strength but makes up for it with his length, vertical and high work rate. Has nice shooting range and decent rate but was pretty inconsistent in Japan, perhaps due to lack of minutes and coming off the bench.

What he gives the Kings is versatility as he can play SF, PF and to some extent C. I'd say he'll start ahead of Kicks since he'll likely play more minutes. Sydney needs experience and a proven scorer off the bench with Kicks already indicating he's quite happy to come off the bench.

I'm not sure about the Delvon Johnson rumour with Wear's confirmation. They already have the 4/5 spot well covered with Deng Acuoth rumoured to come back as DP. They'll target a defensive stopper or failing that, resort to their usual "best available talent" tactic. Probably considering Owen Odigie.

Reply #690190 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

This guy is a SEABL level import. 16 mpg in Japan?

Reply #690195 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Not the super-star I might have thought they'd go for, but seems a very good player. And presumably happy to share the spotlight without getting bitchy about minutes.

I'd assume Bogut will be bale to play good minutes, as he should be the most dominant C in the comp. Interesting to see who they prefer as backup 5, whether its DW or DK.

Big Challenge facing Sydney now, how can Gaze screw this up?
I think this squad may be beyond even his ability.

Reply #690197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was terrible at UNC. So much so that as a Duke fan I was disappointed when he transferred because it seemed impossible that wouldn't improve their roster.

Reply #690198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JVG is a fan boy, those Japan numbers look terrible. Must of been cheap!

Reply #690199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best roster in history? Not even close.

Reply #690200 | Report this post

Thunder  
Years ago

David Wear to will be an MVP cndidate in this league. Very underrated

Reply #690202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love it when AD and SteveK2 give their expert opinions.

"I'd assume Bogut will be bale to play good minutes, as he should be the most dominant C in the comp."
You think he can play good minutes based on a 'few' NBL games a season Vs the number of NBA games. Captain Obvious.

Then we have " Unlike Perry Ellis, he has poor lower body strength but makes up for it with his length, vertical and high work rate. Has nice shooting range and decent rate but was pretty inconsistent in Japan.."
So how do you know all this?
Why don't we simply accept the recruiting without all these thoughts of a players ability with knowing nothing about these individuals IRL.

Reply #690203 | Report this post

Wang whipper  
Years ago

Good point Anon! I would like all posters to be banned from posting opinions here unless they know the player IRL. This website should not be mistaken for a "forum" for "discussion".

Reply #690208 | Report this post

Yeah the inciteful postings saying "Unlike Perry Ellis, he has poor lower body strength but makes up for it with his length, vertical and high work rate. Has nice shooting range and decent rate but was pretty inconsistent in Japan.." are clearly speculative and a discussion point as they are random thoughts. Good point said no one ever.
Try starting a topic next time and see how you go.

Reply #690209 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

So Anon? You agree with me, but hate yourself for it?
Please seek help.

Reply #690212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, I do have to agree with the anon about blanket statements about unknowns being made (lol) but as mentioned just take them with a grain of salt.

Reply #690216 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Blanket statements are cool, so someone gets signed and we jump in here and we get some expert opinion from people who probably aren't experts but who cares, for this moment right now it's entertaining to hear what people think of a player... but seriously who goes back and reads anything from a week ago on this site (why so many Greg Hire topics get started).

At the end of the day, the opinion stated above is cool and I'm glad they have their opinions but when the season starts and we see these players in the flesh for the first time we won't remember what anyone said about them back in May

Reply #690218 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

16 mpg in Japan?

They have an odd rule in B league where both teams agree prior to the game of how many imports can be on the floor in which quarter. Its a bit complicated to explain, but it usually results in less minutes than they would normally have played.

Maybe its difficult for him to get in the flow when he has to sit out 2 full quarters each game.

As for Gaze, yeah massive pressure on him but it looks like he's going to prepare early. At least he's approaching it the right way this time.

Reply #690219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starters 3s small Bench

PG Randle Randle Randle Lisch
SG Lisch Lisch Lisch Wilson
SF Deng Newley Newley Deng
PF Wear Wear Deng Pineau
C Bogut Kickert Johnson Kickert

DP Deng Acouth,two more?
Last import signing Delvon Johnson?

Reply #690224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best roster in history??? Old injury prone players that will be mismanaged by Gaze. Won't make the 4.

Reply #690225 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

How can Sydney have the "best roster in NBL history"?

They've had the “best roster in NBL history” for the last 2 seasons. This has been clearly proven by their response and buy-in to NBL-leading coaching strategies and systems, superior win-loss ratios and rafters full of championship banners.

Sydney then daylight: I’ll believe it when I see it.

Reply #690232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting that his Japan numbers are underwhelming, as he seems to have played at the top levels prior to that. Big colleges, NBA, Spanish ACB league. At what level is the real David Wear?

Reply #690233 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sydney's track record for recent imports isn't convincing think Tyler, Bryson, Blake, Leslie.
Time will tell if Wear is going to be any good in NBL.

Reply #690242 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Giving it some more thought, I feel better about the Wear signing. I think they've put too much emphasis on name imports in the past, especially ex-NBA guys. Wear looks like a role player, which is actually what we need more so than a scorer. Just needs to stretch the floor and put effort in on D. If Bogut goes down though, a Wear-Kickert frontcourt is going to get smashed on the boards.

Reply #690243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is shaping up as potentially the biggest Violet Crumble team of all time. Me likey.

Reply #690244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Deng start at SF?

Reply #690245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless they get a gun three as the third import, which they may well do post NBA summer league, Newley will start with Kickert coming off the bench.

Reply #690257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Andrew Gaze was interviewed say the last spot was for a local?

Reply #690262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope Jock landale

Reply #690263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I had no I dear wear signed a two year contract.

Reply #690269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good to see the great scouting of the Kings continue. Has to be one of dumbest statements, only watched him for couple of minutes but stored it away. Imagine if he watched someone for more than 10 minutes, he'd probably give them a stake in the team, wait, hang on???

Kings Managing Director Jeff Van Groningen has fond memories of Wear training alongside former Sydney star Josh Childress at the annual event.

Van Groningen only watched a few minutes of the Long Beach-born big man in action, but it was enough to store his skills for future reference.

"You file those things away," Van Groningen told The Sunday Telegraph.

Reply #690273 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Further proof JvG really does think he is a basketball genius. Scary.

Reply #690276 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not sure Kickert would've signed with the Kings with the belief he would be coming off the bench and to be honest Wear's resume suggests he might be Kickert's back up not the reverse.

Reply #690278 | Report this post

The Sydney Tigers will always be a problem because Gaze has no other connections than the Kings and JVG thinks he can recruit.
Yet they will travel again to Las Vegas and recruit no one.
Harry L are you awake?

Reply #690293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone on the kings roster is out of contract next year or with kings option on their contract, they had bettewr have a good, great season or it's over and the next owner will be looked for. IMO jvg has stuffed this up big time.

Reply #690302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

looks like Brad newley is going to play guard because the kings are looking for another sf.

Reply #690312 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

With no other starting quality level SF option, anon, what makes you think Newls will play guard? Might be a few sporadic minutes there if there's foul trouble with Randle/Lisch and the Blonde Wondertwins aren't working out, but with only really Deng to back him up at the 3, I'm not sure how you figured that out?

I might have skipped where Kickert said he'd be cool coming off the bench, but with Wear's supposed skillset, that might be best and it certainly does add some depth to the Kings bench, but since I'm biased against him, I'm going to interpret that as him wanting a bit of a cash in and relax...

As for Wear, I'm all for getting a role playing big to fill in the gaps and make up for Kicks crap rebounding, so will have to reserve judgement on whether he's the right type or not... If he can rebound hard and keep defender honest from outside while keeping up the D because Kicks can't, and also take some pressure off Bogues while on the court together, all the better...

Can't disagree with any comments re: JvG though... Still thinking that he's God's gift to recruitment...

Reply #690339 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea, JVG the worse GM in the NBL

Meddles too much with recruitment.

The only 2 new recruits that actually worked last season were Pinau and Perry Ellis, who were both Gazes guys/picks.

Randle was an obvious one and they got him too late

And dont get me started on the Tyler/starting the season without an experieenced starting C nonsense.

I reckon Gaze would have done a much better job at building a team without JVG, even if he didnt get it perfect.

Its a pity Gazes coaching career has been tied to JVG, but having said that a smart GM may have just hired Dean Vickerman in the first place and not bothered with Gaze.

Reply #690346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some people have been putting Deng deng as starting SF?

Reply #690347 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

JVG's only real success is hiring Joey Wright and bringing him to the NBL.

And Joey also wouldnt have put up with the crap Gaze has and would have forced JVG not to stuff it up and built the team how he wanted it. Joey has proven at multiple clubs and various range of budgets is he knows how to build a playoff team.

The 2007 title would have had far more to do with Joey and Eddys cheque book than anything JVG did. Thankfully for that team Joey was a strong enough personality to not let JVG stuff it up in 2007 with any stupid ideas.

Imagine walking in to Joeys office and telling him you are going to do what the kings did last season.....

Reply #690351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I reckon Gaze would have done a much better job at building a team without JVG, even if he didnt get it perfect."

Correct. It just goes to further show how bad JvG is.

Reply #690376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Capital Jack great summary re: Bullets era under JvG.

Credit where credit is due he did recruit Joey Wright as coach when the Bullets were an absolute no hoper team. I remember during the 2002-03 season Richard Orlick who was sacked for Joey to come in had a huge cry on the NBL panel show on Fox. Then the $pending really began but that was due to Eddy going ALL IN and like you say Joey being in control which would've countered JvG's stupidity.

The point being since this is a Kings thread without Eddy's $$$ JvG never gets considered for this current job. And for Lister to just assume JvG winning a title means he is good and recruiting out of another industry and totally disregarding the sheer amount of cash Grove$ threw around is negligent.

Reply #690379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

recruiting him out of another industry*

Reply #690381 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Sydney signed our Deng? or is there another one?

Reply #690402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another one. There are many.

Reply #690406 | Report this post

Best part about JVG getting Joey was luck. Lucky Joey got a gig and proved that with a cheating salary cap back in the day he's still got a job now.

Reply #690469 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Some people (and maybe players?) get too caught up in who's "starting".
I remember when Joey would "start" Schenscher just for the tip-off, then sub him at the first opportunity.

Sure, general rule has been that you aim for 5 starters who play big minutes, but it doesn't always work out that way.
I prefer to think in terms of minutes, matchups, and combinations. Especially when you have older players, and good depth.

Clearly you've got two players, Wear and DK, whom you'd expect to play big minutes at PF. So maybe they'll split it 50:50, and also spend some time at C, or maybe one will spend more time than the other. Who knows, time will tell.
We've got to see how well wear adapts to our league, exactly how Bogut fits in, and of course how well they all fit together.

As an opposition fan, what gives me hope is Gaze. I think if these guys had been playing together for a couple of years under a good coach, they would now be unstoppable. Just too much talent.
If you gave this lineup to Joey or Gleeson, you could start measuring for the trophy cabinet.

Reply #690480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not Gleeson, as he needs an established playing group from another coach to win. He has never won a title with a group he built himself.

Reply #690481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As an opposition fan, what gives me hope is Gaze. I think if these guys had been playing together for a couple of years under a good coach,..."

Maybe but we are talking about Gaze here who quite frankly is a terrible coach.

Reply #690483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Err, that's what the quoted text meant.

Reply #690517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if the 11th spot is for a local (and I think a cheap one), does anyone have any idea who it will be?

Reply #690524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My hope is Emmanuel Malou 6 9 100 Kilos and a ex NBA hopeful?

Reply #690525 | Report this post

Luke  
Years ago

Hendo8888
Yesterday

Sydney signed our Deng? or is there another one?

Yeah its not deng acouth, its deng deng.

Reply #690626 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

It's weird how people operate, but fact is if this team is successful it will be "the team that Jeff built." He'll be able to take full credit, and entrench his position. (Until the money runs out.)
Me, I would have started with the best coach I could get, but some people just don't like to share power. They would rather supreme command of a failure.

Reply #690635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK, let's see what we can tick off so we don't need to keep going over them,

1. Andrew can't coach,

2. Jeff can't manage, recruit, get a handle on his own limitations etc.

There doesn't seem to be anyone questioning either of these.

Now, any suggestions on who gets the last spot?

Deng Acouth?
A current COE player?
Someone from SEABL?
One of the other DPs from last season?

Reply #690636 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:58 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754