LV
Years ago

NBA Finals Thread

By tomorrow we'll know the NBA Finals Matchup, so might as well get the thread started early.

History will be made today- Either Lebron makes his 8th straight finals- an incredible achievement considering there's 15 teams in the Eastern Conference, or the Celtics become the worst Finals team in memory.

If CP3 is playing on one leg, Boston might even be a chance against Houston but only in those Bradbury-esque circumstances. Fact is, Al Horford is their best player. Has their ever been a worse best player in a finals team? Pretty uninspiring and if they play the Warriors it goes 5 games at best.

Warriors would probably beat Cavs in 5 too, but at least you’d get to see Lebron going around, with at least one all time great on both teams.

Topic #43399 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, I think a rookie named Tatum might be Boston's best player now. And their coach ain't bad either.

Reply #690343 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well, I guess you could say that Boston have about 5 players better than George Hill- Cleveland's 3rd best player....

So in that sense, we're in for a boring finals series no matter what happens (assuming Golden State wins tomorrow).

At least if Cavs win you get to see the greatest player of the current generation.

Reply #690344 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think the Celtics could give the Rockets a run for their money. No chance against the Warriors.

Reply #690345 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I agree- but only if Chris Paul is playing on one leg.

If CP3 is healthy, Boston has no chance.

Reply #690350 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

The match ups that I don't want to see are:

Boston Vs GSW
Boston Vs Houston
Cleveland Vs GSW

Any of these 3 and it's either a Houston or GSW win easily. GSW and Houston will tear Boston apart relatively easily. Boston can't win away from home with Houston and GSW being good travelling teams, so they will pinch a game or two in Boston. GSW are a bad match up for the Cavs and I can't see that series going past game 5

If we get Houston Vs Cleveland series however, I believe it will be a tight series going to a game 6 or 7. The unknown is how will Houston cope under the bright lights with Cleveland having previous finals experience. Cavs also have LBJ who is the best player in it and can win on the road.

Then again, I could be completely wrong.

Reply #690353 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The reason why so many of us want a Cleveland-Houston final series is for unpredictability and the unknown. You'd say Houston but there's something about that match up that intrigues. It has the hallmark of a genuinely exciting series.

The problem with the other three scenarios are that each will result in fairly predictable outcomes.

The NBA are probably conflicted in what they want; do they want to sacrifice the huge GSW & Boston TV audiences for the sake of getting two maybe 3 extra games under a Cleveland-Houston series?

Reply #690355 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

With the way the Rockets operate in the half-court offensively, Celtics definitely have a chance - CP3 or not.

Reply #690356 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Houston were 50-8 with CP3 in uniform this season.

Hard to see a bunch of rookies getting near them, despite being well coached.

Reply #690359 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Houston would destroy this Cavs team with CP3, and I think still win in 6 games without him. Boston had so many good looks today (7-39 from three...) but simply didn't have the talent to apply scoreboard pressure. Houston and Golden State will have no trouble in that regard, and nor would have Boston if they had Irving and/or Hayward.

LeBron deserves a lot of credit for his performances, but they simply shouldn't be able to win a title.

Reply #690378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"History will be made today- Either Lebron makes his 8th straight finals- an incredible achievement considering there's 15 teams in the Eastern Conference, or the Celtics become the worst Finals team in memory."

That may be so but the Eastern Conference is incredibly weak.

Also, yes, need Rockets-Cavs but of course CP3 injured quite handy for the NBA to have what they want - Warriors-Cavs. *SIGH*

Reply #690382 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I don't know if the GSW vs Cavs would bring an extra TV audience over a Houston vs Cavs series? San Francisco has a population of just under a million whereas Houston has just over 2 million i believe. I also reckon the impartial viewer would tune into a Rockets and Cavs series over the Warriors and Cavs again.

Reply #690383 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I don't know if the GSW vs Cavs would bring an extra TV audience over a Houston vs Cavs series? San Francisco has a population of just under a million whereas Houston has just over 2 million i believe. I also reckon the impartial viewer would tune into a Rockets and Cavs series over the Warriors and Cavs again.

Reply #690384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sheep love GSW even though for most who are keen basketball followers we are over them since KD went there. and also their height was 2015 now it is getting a bit stale. But the general public sheep still love the Warriors so that suits the NBA perfectly.

Reply #690405 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:32 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754