Melbourne Boy
Years ago

Warriors Conspiracy

The NBA has a track record of making sure the 2 teams they want to win the conference finals play in the finals. Lebron vs Warriors will make the league a truckload more money and draw massive ratings, strange that it's happened again.

With CP3 out and Houston missing 27 straight 3s in the second half, chances are they lose anyway, but in the first half there were about 5 blatant bad calls/no calls in the Warriors favour. 6 obvious fts for Harden not given, an obvious kick ball, Gordon being fouled by 2 players at the rack, and not even one 50/50 call against the Warriors who are the road team. That lead should have been 20 at the half and the league would have been privately worried behind the scenes at the ugly matchup of Cavs vs Rockets slow down 1 on 1 series, but hey, the establishment gets their way and the $$$ will roll in I guess.

Topic #43406 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. You beat me to it.

Kyrie and CP3 get injured which help the NBA in their cause. Funny how it all works towards their favour as well.

Warriors vs. Cavs is so 2015 & 2016! Get over it NBA that rivalry is done time for new blood.

Reply #690526 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yeah, complete shock that a stacked championship team that added another MVP-calibre player in recent years could possibly defeat a team that lost a key starting guard in the series and barely played more than six players.

Reply #690527 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

The Warriors destroying teams last year in series actually cost the league a ton of money.

I'm not buying it.

Reply #690529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such a shame CP3 was injured, it's odds that all the key injuries are for the teams the NBA don't want to see in the Finals.

Reply #690530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warriors at the moment do not look as good as previous seasons though. Injuries and the calls today helped them.

Reply #690531 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

If you said the Sacramento-lakers series was fixed I'd agree. This season just bad luck Paul got injured late in season. Warriors also probably the best ever nba team assembled

Reply #690532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some terrible reffing but Rockets played like absolute garbage. Live by the 3, die by the 3. Still can't believe they kept jacking up 3s during that 3rd quarter, surely you go for a few easy 2s to settle.

Reply #690533 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Warriors are so boring

2014-2016 was peak NBA.

Durant is weak.

Long live Barkley and Malone, who fought through their primes battling valiantly without ever grasping the ultimate prize.

Reply #690534 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Warriors were so much better when Curry was bombing threes from the car park every third possession

Now that half their offense runs through Durant, it's just not the same watching them.

Reply #690535 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Just my opinion, but 100% the NBA is rigged. I don't support Houston, but it's clear the NBA wants them there.

The SF market is not big at all, but GSW is the most popular team in the NBA, they have a huge international following, merchandise, TV viewership etc.

Sport is disgraceful these days. NBA lost a fan today.

p.s. Houston also totally choked that game away though. Who shoots forty-something threes in a game. My god.

Reply #690538 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

The 2 best teams in the finals yet again. My source? NBA Finals 2015, 16, 17 and now 18. Team missed 27 straight threes yet people banging on about a conspiracy.

Reply #690539 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

" Who shoots forty-something threes in a game. Any team coached by that guy, who is imo the biggest whinger in NBA.

Reply #690541 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Isaac, I'm not saying the series was rigged, and who knows what might have happened if CP3 played, Rockets had just won 3 out of 4 games before the injury, I'm just saying it's funny that right when it's on a knifes edge, the underdog (and costly to the NBA) Rockets surging up by double figures, there was a 5 minute patch of decisions against the home team which was attrocious and got it within single figures. Through history find me a time when the perceived (and more often than not overblown) rigging is in favour of the less financially viable team.

Reply #690542 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

And for the record if the Warriors were down 20 at the half I still think they would have won today with how the second half went, that's not the point I'm trying to make.

Reply #690543 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree '539. Some of the conspiracy thinking is lunacy. The team with what is probably the best starting five ever assembled in the NBA (when Iguodala is in) won through. Houston did well to make it seven games and lose without a key player.

And people are combining the arguments that Warriors-Cavs is boring and that they're switching off, but that it's also the match-up the NBA wants because it generates the most money and pleases most fans. So, is it a great money-making conspiracy or is it turning people off?

Reply #690544 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I'm not buying it, I get what you are saying @Melbourne Boy, but I think that suggesting the officials are making bias calls on purpose for the NBA's bottom line is drawing a very long straw.

Too many moving parts, too many if's, but's and maybe's.

I too am slightly disappointed at the results but you can't watch two 7 games series and suggest it was all just done as per script, no way can I accept that...

Reply #690545 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'm not saying the series was rigged...

*starts "Warriors Conspiracy" topic on Hoops*

Games have runs. Teams like the Warriors with insane offensive firepower can smash deficits and win from unlikely positions. Didn't they repeatedly do that the other year - win from losing positions?

They have two MVPs and a get-hot-fast scorer. The other team missed an NBA record 27 straight three pointers. Many of them open. And you raise the refs in one passage of play?!

Reply #690547 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

LOL just when I thought the levels of dumbness on here had peaked. The good old conspiracy theory. They missed 27 threes in a row, enough said.

Also, there is no such thing as an obvious foul with Harden. The limbs flailing and head being thrown back every time a defender is in the same post code. The poor refs are stuffed if they know if he has actually been fouled. That costs him in the end too, because as well as the ones where nobody touches him, he's going to miss out on calls because the refs are unsure. Reap what you sew.

Why can the average sports fan in this country not ever comment on a game without ref sooking? It truly baffles me. Why not concentrate on the mistakes and failings of the players? They make many, many more errors than the refs.

Reply #690549 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Yeah, just on Harden and his flopping, I agree with you that he is up there in the flop artists award, LeBron gets rough treatment but watching him when he sometimes flops it is nothing close to what Harden does and it does catch up with him...

Reply #690550 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The refs were absolutely atrocious and need to be dumped for future games. You can't ref a game with 3-5 shocking no-calls on the one player, it's far too blatant.

Reply #690552 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

It's so obvious the NBA were ensuring the team they wanted made it to the finals: so much so that posters can't even agree whether the NBA wanted the Rockets or Warriors to win!

What an informative thread.

Reply #690556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder what the NBA have planned for the Finals.

I remember the blatant ref interpretation on D change in 2016 which let Cavs come back from 3-1 down to win the title.

Reply #690557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The general public/n00b wants Cavs-Warriors because "OMG LeBron, Curry etc!!!!1" But the more seasoned basketball fans like us here want to see a new rivalry. The sheep win everytime as they are in the majority.

Reply #690558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The amount of help the warriors got especially in the 3rd and 4th quarters was disgraceful. As soon as houston got out by 15 the corrupt refs went to work. If i'm the rockets i'm going all out to get lebron.

Reply #690559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harden-CP3-Lebron tandom will smoke the Warriors out of the water

Reply #690562 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I'm just saying there was a sniff of a conspiracy brewing in the 2nd as the Rockets were surging ahead by a good margin. The better team won and it sorted itself out in the end, it just raised a few eyebrows in the 2nd. No Lakers vs Kings episode here, that ones pretty hard to deny.

Reply #690563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't understand people saying they took too many threes. They were the best 3 point shooting team in the history of the league and are better at shooting threes than twos so why would you try to take some 2 point shots.

Reply #690589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even nba players on Twitter and instagram are blasting these corrupt officials. Houston and Cavs final was a no go because of revenue and marketing.

Reply #690615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Houston got robbed way worst then the kings did i

Reply #690616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Even nba players on Twitter and instagram are blasting these corrupt officials"

Who?

(I don't use Instagram or Twitter)

Reply #690617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Examples DeMarcus Cousins and Jeremy Lin. Couple of other ones I saw to

Reply #690621 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Anon Houston let it get to 27 missed threes in a row - being a best three point team in history is meaningless in a game 7 if it's not going in.

That's where you have to be more than a one trick pony. Houston needed to keep the ball moving and get the Warriors defending closer to the basket again. They might be usually better at threes than twos but if you've missed 20+ threes in a no second chances game - no point in keeping cold just because of those acclaims, they had to work hard for closer to the basket twos.

Reply #690624 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Isaac - The NBA gives rise to these conspiracy theories because they've pulled a fair bit of shady behaviour in the past and they're known for interfering significantly on behalf of "whats better for business".

From Kings v Lakers, to FBI investigations, to making arbitrary rules on the spot to fine teams (see Spurs fined for resting players), to players receiving clearly favourable calls to protect the entertainment (Lebron) or unfavourable calls if they make it obvious they feel mistreated by the NBA (DHoward). And then there's opportunistic timing of certain teams receiving #1 draft picks.

The NBA might not have their hands in all of it, and much can be said for incompetent refs; but the way NBA handle things, it's very easy to see a scenario where they want something to go X way because of business and they'll interfere to avoid Y or Z happening.

Reply #690629 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remember when NBA vetoed CP3 from signing with the Lakers so he signed with the Clippers which was a blatant one.

They engineer everything.

Reply #690631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do people still not understand why they did that ffs

Reply #690634 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

There is no conspiracy. The refereeing was just bad, not corrupt.

A Rockets-Cavs series would have had a far better chance of going the distance. This series will be lucky to go 5 games.

The Warriors are one of the best teams in history, but they make the game less enjoyable to watch for those looking for a contest. It was always going to be the case when a sudden cap explosion and a weak Durant contrived to form a team that is virtually impossible to beat in a series.

I'll probably watch game 1 and then just highlights for the rest of the series.

What I'm most disappointed with is ESPN showing an add for the finals, naming the teams, during the replay of game 7. I mean wtf?

Reply #690638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Gus3232's point about Harden self-inflicting some of the no-calls with the flopping is really sound. He got the 4-point play call against Klay earlier where Harden pretty clearly initiated the contact, so the refs erred against rewarding him for flailing into shots while being fouled on a couple of other possessions. One of those calls was awful (the second 4-pt opportunity) and I think one was the right call (the one where he was about 2 steps over halfway).

As has been repeatedly stated in this thread, Houston missed 27 straight threes. I think Houston would be justifiably unconcerned about that stat, but they should have a concern about shot quality, because a lot of those misses were bad shots. There's nothing wrong with offensive players of the caliber of Harden, Durant, Curry, Thompson taking some bad shots. But there has to be a mechanism to find better ones when the stars aren't lights out. Houston couldn't do that in the 3rd quarter today, so they lost. The refs had nothing to do with it.

Reply #690642 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

The Rockets had more uncontested 3s in the 3rd quarter than the Warriors, they just didn't have Curry, Durant and Klay. For the night Rockets went 4/14 on fully uncontested 3s, some games they just don't drop.

Reply #690647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ Shot location? How many uncontested corner threes from decent shooters did they get? I seem to recall Draymond getting some good uncontested looks, too - because those were the shots the Rockets wanted to give up.

They did some overthinking and missed some good looks, but I'm not sure even D'Antoni would have been particularly pleased with shot quality in the second half.

Reply #690649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://shop.basketballforever.com/products/refs-in-7

Might interest some of you lol

Reply #690651 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone's gone and listed the likely incorrect calls made during the game. There are a few on both sides. G7 calls

Separately, for anyone interested, the NBA refs account on Twitter posted the reasoning that the Bell "moving screen" was not a moving screen.

Reply #690687 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:42 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754