RatsMouth ( Waxy )
Years ago

Bryce Cotton unlikely to return to Perth

I've heard from multiple sources that Cotton is most likely not returning to Perth, seeking more than 700k annually.

Perth have now focused there search on ex-NBA guard Monta Ellis, with significant progress made on a deal that would see him wearing red next season.

Topic #43408 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow would be a huge upgrade.

Reply #690554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha, "Ellis to Perth," nice one, ROFL

Chances of "Free-Balls" Ellis coming out of retirement to play for peanuts in Perth are zilch.

Reply #690566 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Who Monta Ellis...no a great pick up in the NBL

Reply #690567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ellis would average 40 points on 50 shots. Chucker

Reply #690570 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

and we all thought Cotton was on $400k.....

Reply #690572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$700K is the new $400K now since everyone is on the latter amount.

Reply #690577 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

AN MVP like Cotton will always be marginal in the NBL. Just like Prather, makes us nervous every off-season.

I've no doubt he'll head for Summer League again, and who knows, this could be the year. I guess the negative for him is that he's already had a stint and didn't make the grade in the NBA.

Then there will be offers from Europe.
It would be interesting to know how he feels after his time in Italy.

I wonder how the salary compares between the NBL and some of the lesser European leagues.

On the plus side, Cotton seems to be one of those who prefers Australia.

Reply #690578 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

as has been said, Cotton and Prather understandably are trying their hands at getting into the NBA through whatever means they can, as they should be doing

Last season the Cats thought they had no chance of Cotton coming back, then he did.

He loves it in Australia and if NBA doesn't give him a crack he'll be back. He knows the landscape here and knows what he can earn. I doubt he is asking for a $300k payrise as half the league are now getting $400k.

Prather was similar, just bad timing, but still managed to get a spot at United. Would rather see both these guys in Red next season, but happy to have both anywhere in the NBL. The league needs players like this that are high calibre and keep returning to the NBL, same goes for Childress.

Reply #690580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But are that many players getting 400K for next season though?

Bogut, yes, easy. But who else realistically? We have teams playing with 2 imports. We have teams picking up Conklins. Where are these 400K per season players? I just don't think we're going to have that many.

Reply #690582 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

Cotton was on $600000 . Reported in an Article in one of the News papers on Top earners in all main sports in Australia .{ A comparison } and the 50th . Petrie was the 50th top earner in NBL I think it was $60,000 . The Article appeared around 6 months ago .

Reply #690585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandon Jennings please

Reply #690586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone tried to get Jimmer Fredette? Guys a star in China!

Reply #690588 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

I think Sydney would have 80% of the leagues players who earn $400K+ wouldn't they?

Bogut
Newley
Lisch
Randle

Reply #690592 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Cotton was on $600000"

Go back and read the article again, they freely admit to guessing.

Reply #690597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct lukn4atitle.

2016-17 season the top earners were: 1.) Cotton $600K & 2.) Randle $400K.

Reply #690598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Anderson on something like $600k? I think I remember hearing that reported, but not 100% sure.

Reply #690600 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It was confirmed in the Randle signing article that Cotton was on $600k last season and Andersen was rumoured to be on $500-$600k per on his two year deal to lure him back from Europe which just expired.

Reply #690601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can tell you for a fact that Cotton was on nowhere near $600k.
You guys are so full of shit its unbelievable.

If he was already on $600k, then "chasing 700k" wouldn't be a problem.

Like most imports Cotton got a package, including various benefits, but even if you added them up it would be nowhere near $600k.

Unlike other teams, the wildcats are self-sufficient. So whilst they make money, they also have to balance the budget.

Furthermore why would they even need to pay so much? Cotton wouldn't even earn that much in Europe.

Reply #690603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct lukn4atitle.

2016-17 season the top earners were: 1.) Cotton $600K

Yeah spot on, Cotton got paid $600,000 for a third of a season.

Reply #690605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoops. I meant 2017-18.

So the newspaper is full of shit anon #603? We are just quoting what was published.

Reply #690606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This could work out well for Perth, with LeBrons imminent retirement and all...

Reply #690620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you discount the possibility that a media story could be full of shit?

According to AD above, they admitted to guessing, which would explain their inaccuracy.

Fact is, I have an inside source, and even he would never divulge to me the exact numbers.
But he is willing to use phrases such as "well under"

And if you wanted to compare apples, how much value would you put on the benefits package, which I'm told is very impressive.

Reply #690748 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cotton was on $600k last season.

Randle, who was playing with Turkish club Bahçesehir after his successful stint with Adelaide last season, will link with Sydney on a one-year deal with an option.

He will be paid approximatley $400,000 this season, making him the NBL's second-highest earner behind star Perth point guard Bryce Cotton ($600,000).

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/basketball/sydney-kings-sign-jerome-randle-jeremy-tyler-in-bid-to-save-season/news-story/13a688ca2ab9671fd18bf90e64b24097

Reply #690757 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Good stuff. Cotton was annoyingly good. Hopefully this is the year Perth don't make top 4

Reply #690770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth should still make the top4.
Cairns, Brisbane and Illawarra and possibly NZ will miss the playoffs.
Taipans v Brisbane for the spoon.

Reply #690774 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Fact is, I have an inside source, and even he would never divulge to me the exact numbers.
But he is willing to use phrases such as "well under"
This is precisely why I treat all posts using an exact figure as unreliable by default.

Reply #690775 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

So yeah.... cool inside source....

Reply #691521 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:59 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754