Anonymous
Years ago

Thoughts on NBA finals

Just finished watching the finals as fan of neither team. A few take aways from it for me:

- One of the worst finals I've witnessed
- no intensity
- rings are losing their meaning given the way players are getting them these days
- the cavaliers are embarrassing
- the out of timeout plays that Ty Lue draw are surely not a dribble down the shot clock contested 3 by JR
- KD might have actually ruined the NBA. These super super XXXL supersized teams make it boring to watch. It’s like watching an grown men play children
- the super teams are only going to have to get more 'super’ to compete. Brace yourself for the trade period

Don’t mean to be salty but it’s sad to see my beloved NBA go this way

Topic #43466 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steph Curry eating popcorn during interview. What a wanker.

Reply #691956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Chris Paul doesn't do a hamstring Houston knock GSW off... I think people carry on about this super team crap too much. The problem is the West is strong and the East are U 12 girls at Marion.

Reply #691957 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I paid no attention to the NBA Finals this year.
If Houston or Utah were playing Boston I would have been interested enough to watch (OKC Fan) but the Cavs Vs Golden State is as interesting to me as watching paint dry.

Reply #691958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol I didn't even know game 4 was on today, shows how much interest I had in the series. Watched game 1 but after that didn't bother and just looked at the score/highlights of the games.

Reply #691959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't buy the 'if Chris Paul didn’t do a hamstring’ narrative. It was clear in every series that win the Warriors need to win they win. Cruise control most of the playoffs.

Reply #691961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey!!! Don't disrespect the u12 girls at Marion by comparing them to the East!!!

Reply #691962 | Report this post

Anonomous  
Years ago

I think four teams can compete next year - Warriors, Rockets, Celtics and who ever LeBron plays with.
Not great news for the other 26.

Reply #691963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bloody hell found the Cavs fan pretty easy

Reply #691964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

garbage, Durant ruined the NBA

Reply #691965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Completely agree.
The whole sport has turned to sh#t.
Superteams, no defense, 3 after 3 being jacked up. It is not as if teams (excecpt GSW) are showing great offense with great ball movement and creating open shots.
How many times do you see contested shots early in the clock?
The sport league has turned to junk.
IMO the NBL is more enteratining

Reply #691966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Completely agree.
The whole sport has turned to sh#t.
Superteams, no defense, 3 after 3 being jacked up. It is not as if teams (excecpt GSW) are showing great offense with great ball movement and creating open shots.
How many times do you see contested shots early in the clock?
The sport league has turned to junk.
IMO the NBL is more enteratining

Reply #691967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL more entertaining hahahaha

Reply #691968 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I honestly find the NBL more entertaining. There are a few NBA teams that play an entertaining style of ball for me (Celtics in particular), but the min/max-styled offenses of teams like the Rockets are just dull for me, despite the high scores and the talent on the court.

As years go by I'm looking at box scores and highlights of the NBA a lot more than I am actual games. Meanwhile, I'm catching most NBL games regardless of who is playing.

Reply #691970 | Report this post

/yawn

NBA started losing its appeal long before KD signed with the Warriors. KD was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

The NBA is now in a state like in NBA 2K where if you turn all the sliders up for the player team and down for the AI.

Will take LeBron signing with Philly or mockingly my Blazers to reinvigorate my interest.

Reply #691972 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Game 1 was great

But ever since the brain fade, the rest of the series has had a feeling of inevitability

Agree that Durant is public enemy number 1

Reply #691973 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

NBL more entertaining? Haha what a joke. Any half decent nbl game is one awful ref decision away from farce.

The finals showpiece is obviously a bore for the foreseeable future, but on a game for game basis, there is no comparison. The NBL will never be close to the spectacle that the NBA is

Reply #691975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not convinced, the nbl play defence, nba is one way offence. I suppose the beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Reply #691976 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"It is not as if teams (excecpt GSW) are showing great offense with great ball movement and creating open shots."

Golden State rarely play like this anymore (at least in the playoffs). The ball and player movement revelation from '14 Spurs is well and truly dead already. Playing that way, while effective and thoroughly entertaining, is apparently too much work for an 82+ game season.

The universal strategy of the playoffs was: set on-balls specifically to force the defense into a rotation through show-and-recover/ice coverages, or force the worst perimeter defender to switch on to your superstar and play 1v5 with shooter.

IMO the most entertaining element of the finals for was JR Smith's antics and Lue's "coaching".

Reply #691977 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

The NBL probably won't ever be as "entertaining" as the NBA but it is infinitely more competitive. That many games, that much money and the "title or nothing" attitude has ruined it. I'm a 35 year fan of the the NBA and I'm pretty much done with it now, just like to see how the Aussie players are going.

Reply #691980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL is more competitive because all the players are garbage

Reply #691981 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a boring anti climax.

This is making me even more excited now for the World Cup starting on Thursday. :D

Reply #691983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was pretty open this year really. Warriors had major competition in Houston, spurs with Leonard's problems led to a down year. East had a master coaching class by Stephens missing 2 huge pieces but a potential superstar in Tatum unearthed. What would have happened if pacers knocked off cavs in 1st round, raptors wouldn't have been LeBron bitch. And 76ers prove that despite talent, experience is key.
Can argue league wanted this match-up but LeBron was key in creating this team. Probably closest thing him and MJ have in common is that they are really crap as building team. At the time was said that Celtics got best player but cavs got best deal, that nets pick looking iffy at 8,can get solid player but will miss out on Ayton and Doncic, biggest difference makers in draft. Rest really have question marks. Would Kyrie made a difference if healthy, most definitely.

Reply #691989 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"The NBL play defense"

It probably appears that is true, but only because the offensive players/plays are far less capable.

Reply #691999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At times you only have too look at some of the spud imports in the nbl that can't scratch themselves who have NBA on their resume to know you only need to be an athlete in the nba...not necessarily a baller

Reply #692001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too bad we only get them when they're washed up.

Reply #692007 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Haha. And then all of the guys who cant crack the NBA but put up massive numbers here (tokoto, Daniels) based exclusively on their athleticism...what does that tell you?

Reply #692008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

James to 76ers = title.

Reply #692009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How wasTokoto's back half of the season? He got worked out pretty quickly!! Nice jump shot he had, oh wait, sorry.

Reply #692013 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Daniels massive numbers? 15 and 8 were relatively high but not when you consider he played 30 minutes per game and the Wildcats ran their offence through him and Beal (each took 20% of all of Perth's field goal attempts in that season).

Similarly with Tokoto - 15 and 6 in 28 MPG. He and Cotton were teh focus of the Perth offence, both taking way more field goal attempts than anybody else.

Your point about almost-NBA players' athleticism relative to NBL players may be right, but perhaps pick examples that more clearly support that argument.

Reply #692031 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:11 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754