Zodiac
Years ago

Game 3 - NBL All-Aussies vs China

China up 48-30 at half-time.

Topic #43477 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Play the bench more, only got close when Newley, Barlow, Brandt, Moller and Gibson were on. Australia shooting 32.3% to 60.7 for China.

Reply #692239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This reffing makes me sick

Reply #692240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis must be a bit worried about his signings, Cadee and Gliddon are struggling.

Reply #692241 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Very average Aussie team.

The Chinese team, even with some helpful officiating, has been good. They can only hit their shots, and get in the lane, which they have. Zhang(?) has been interesting.

No X factors in this Aussie team (Goulding included).

Reply #692242 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

There comes a time when you have to wonder if it is worth continuing to tacitly endorse the refereeing in these contests by not speaking up and remonstrating against these bad calls. You can see players holding back on their reactions, as they surely know that it seems inevitable to get ridiculous calls favouring China again and again; but there ought to be an imperative to compete in a contest with sportsmanship and honour, so when there is not that on offer in a series, why bother to turn up in the first place?

Reply #692243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No national pride out there. Yes it's hard with the refereeing but the boys needed to keep their heads and play ball

Reply #692244 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The other way of looking at it is that it is character building to strive against the odds and succeed. Tonight the NBL all stars showed none of that character, but will hopefully learn from the experience.

Reply #692245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow and Moller were good, Melbourne will be good again.

Reply #692246 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Fair points, it is an additional challenge. The issue I have is with China still not maturing with its concept of fair play and sportsmanship. If China feels it should belong on the world stage, then it ought to follow the international rules. Strong deja vu here with China's political conduct.

China benefits more than us in these series, letting one of their two national sides play against more serious competition. We should negotiate these series with an eye on taking pride in fairness and good sportsmanship.

Sport is fundamentally about the rules. Why play sports at all if the rules are not followed fairly and consistently?

An alternative is to insist upon one Chinese ref, one Australian ref, and one neutral ref before agreeing to the series. Otherwise, you are tacitly endorsing the ridiculousness.

Reply #692247 | Report this post

Anonymous (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Referees or not, that game was an indictment on Australian basketball. A team of Australian NBL veterans, with Olympians and guys who are considered stars of our league, should not be blown out by a young Chinese national team. It just should not happen. I don't care about the excuses.

I question whether Lemanis is truly the man to lead our Boomers. Are we going to have our best ever Boomers getting pummeled by some average team that just so happens to have more heart on the day?

It's concerning. After a few terrible seasons with Brisbane I feel like we shouldn't count out an SOS call to Goorjian, Brett Brown or Bevo.

Reply #692249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo would be perfect. Should've got the job originally. BA clouded by the Lemanis three peat at Breakers. Fools (as always).

Reply #692250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bevo is Goorj lite. Prepares his teams well so they're always competitive but has no in game plans for when things go awry.

If you think BA are dumb for appointing Lemanis, you're even dumber if you judge him based off this meaningless game.

Reply #692257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bit like anonymous saying BY only did good team preparedness and no mid game plans. That's meaningless but more importantly so hilarious.

Reply #692259 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Lemanis isn't going anywhere until the senior members of the current playing group say so. Anthony Moore doesn't have enough capital or sway with the senior players to dictate terms.

There's a reason certain players haven't been selected over the past few years and it isn't due solely to ability or lack there of.

Reply #692288 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good series win, China regains some pride in game 3, that was predictable.

Reply #692289 | Report this post

Anonymous (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'm not judging him solely on this game. I am judging him on everything he's done since New Zealand Breakers. Brisbane has sucked. The Boomers have only narrowly beat Asian teams they should absolutely beast over. The only thing he has is to say that Rio was decent, and even then we fell pretty hard at the end of the competition and failed to stand up when we needed to. The game against Serbia shouldn't have gone the way it did.

Reply #692291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane has sucked but he took the Boomers to fourth spot at the Olympics,plus he has taken stacked Breakers teams to titles. So it says he coaches well when given the arsenal, which is what he's got now with the Boomers. Sounds like he is the man for the job to me.

Reply #692297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bevo is Goorj lite. Prepares his teams well so they're always competitive but has no in game plans for when things go awry.

If you think BA are dumb for appointing Lemanis, you're even dumber if you judge him based off this meaningless game."

Yes Bevo is Goorj diet so what? We won't get Goorj but Bevo we can.

And no it is not dumb, Bevo is superior to Lemanis.

Reply #692298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yes Bevo is Goorj diet so what?"

Because Goorj had no plan B either. Some of his Boomers tournaments were appalling.

"And no it is not dumb, Bevo is superior to Lemanis."

How? Head to head in NBL and GF's, Lemanis has obviously got the upper hand. Lemanis took us to a medal game - do you think Bevo would have improved on that?

Reply #692300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Because Goorj had no plan B either."

So every coach sucks then? Yet you defend Lemanis? Odd.

and yes Bevo is better than Lemanis, probably win bronze.

Reply #692305 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha wow, I'm convinced!

Reply #692316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and likewise I'm so convinced about Lemanis because of you.

Reply #692317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At least I've explained why Lemanis is the man for the job.

Reply #692319 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Lemanis coached the Boomers to their best ever result in a major tournament. They were also arguably playing the highest standard ball we've ever seen from a Boomers team.

Reply #692322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Put any spud in with our team and they at the very least make it to fourth. Lemanis coincides with our best squad ever.

Reply #692323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rubbish. We were not expected to medal prior to the games. The pool games we won were also unexpected wins. Stop pretending Lemanis failed at the Olympics.

Reply #692325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bevo is Goorj lite. Prepares his teams well so they're always competitive but has no in game plans for when things go awry."

The amount of comebacks the Hawks have made under Bevo suggests otherwise.

Reply #692326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it really doesnt. It actually proves the opposite. He prepares his team knowing that if they stick to their game plan for 40 minutes, they will be competitive. Its a marathon, not a sprint etc.

Reply #692327 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Bevo always seems to make quite a few in-game adjustments against the 36ers, that deadly 1-3-1 zone being pulled strategically after Joey burns a time-out in the 4th last season a case in point.

Reply #692329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The dude saying Bevo Amd Goorj are no good must be Lemanis himself posting.

Reply #692330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The dude thinking Bevo is better than Lemanis must be Mrs Bevo.

Reply #692331 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

I'm confused. If Lemanis is so bad and we sent such a crap team, then how did we beat the taller, faster and better-shooting Chinese who have Goorj as assistant coach? Twice!

Reply #692333 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Wow, just some fair-dinkum dud comments in this thread.

This is a "friendly" series, and a chance for guys who otherwise wouldn't, to be able to represent their country.
Yes, China doesn't send their best players, well newsflash neither do we.

But by & large it was a good hard-fought series, with the Aussies coming away with an impressive win.

As for the players appearing disinterested in game 3, again newsflash, this was always going to be China's night. Whooping them 3-zip would just ensure that next time China either send better players, or just don't invite us back.

Reply #692336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point Dazza

Reply #692351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In addition to AD these players are representing the NBL, it is not a Australian/Boomers team. It was a dads army who was available team.

Reply #692354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure NO Boomers coach has a good track record. Smythe was shite, Goorj wasn't much better. Lemanis with back to back wooden spoons!?! Who else was there?

I've always watched Boomers games and the way that they utilise the roster always seems very political with who gets game time etc. In the past we usually have 1 naturalised American playing for us, I remember years when Grace and Redhage were getting less than 5 minutes per game, but when they were on the court they dominated and their PPM were very high bringing us back into the contest only to get benched the next second. I know there were a few more, maybe Lisch? Can't remember the others.

Reply #692372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Loggins?

Reply #692375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I think Loggins played at some stage and did well too!

Reply #692376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another pointless NBL foray into China. Forget all the Lemanis stuff. Why even comment on a team he will never even coach again.
My question at such short notice (queens birthday weekend) why even do it.

Reply #692379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fisher?

Reply #692380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fisher was definitely another one who played very well on limited minutes.

Reply #692381 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're not interested don’t watch, ignore any press, but I was enjoying watching and better than most shit broadcast at the time.

Reply #692385 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:18 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754