proud
Years ago

Wildcats to play NBA teams

According to Network Ten Perth, the Wildcats will play Utah Jazz and Denver Nuggets in late September/early August.

What do we make of this?

Will other NBL teams want to play against them too?

Topic #43501 | Report this topic

proud  
Years ago

That should say Perth Wildcats sorry and no link as of yet but Lachie Read seems to know everything

Reply #692878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did he say the games would be in perth or in the USA ?

Reply #692879 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

In the USA

Reply #692881 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I feel like Perth will struggle much like Brisbane did against NBA teams. They just don't have the length or athleticism. Sydney (this year) or likely Melbourne are probably the best bets to have a competitive game.

Reply #692883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nuggets will demolish perth...

Nikola Jokic - Gary Harris - Jamal Murray way too good

Reply #692884 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, it might not be pretty. Still a positive thing for the players though, given there should be no clash with the NBL season.

Reply #692885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Late September/early august???

Reply #692886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Melbourne United and Sydney also play? They would be good for promoting our brand as they have stacked lineups

Reply #692887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Utah is better then denver with Mitchell, Gobert, Joe and others

Reply #692889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney playing in Hawaii, united against 76ers I believe. Sydney against Phoenix I think.

Reply #692893 | Report this post

Zig  
Years ago

For me, its a win either way.

Either the NBA teams take it seriously and send close to the best team. In which case massive cred to the Cats, great experience and exposure for their players.
OR, NBA team sends their G-League wanabes, and Cats are in with a shot.

Anything that promotes our teams and League to the yanks is a good thing, will certainly help when chasing imports.

Reply #692894 | Report this post

Cat's 4 life  
Years ago

Don't expect nothing but exposure for Perth and the nbl. Every team should have the opportunity. As long as basketball grows in all for it!

Reply #692898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was at the supermarket today and surprised Greg Hire by saying to him "Playing NBA teams in the pre-season are we?" which he replied "Oh, we were invited finally?" Also his girlfriend looked quite amused that he is a celebrity.

Reply #692901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So we have:

Melbourne vs. Philadelphia
Perth vs. Denver and/or (?) Utah
Sydney vs. Phoenix (in Hawaii)

Reply #692902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne vs Philly and Toronto

Reply #692903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns will play against GSW

Reply #692904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since last preseason each of the three NBL teams only played once vs. NBA opposition do Perth get to double dip because they cried about missing out last season? Or they pulled the travel card so got two games? Whinging does work.

Reply #692905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Cairns will play against GSW"

Literally just laughed out loud. Very nice.

Reply #692906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne vs. Philadelphia and Toronto
Perth vs. Denver and Utah
Sydney vs. Phoenix (in Hawaii)

Is that it?

Reply #692907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why pheonix? Clippers are playing clippers

Reply #692908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kings vs clippers?

Reply #692909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LA Clippers and Phoenix perhaps?

Reply #692912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be his wife. Lol.

Reply #692919 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Sorry yes Early October... which makes us wonder if the season will start later to accommodate for games.

The report specified Perth would play BOTH teams but no mention about other NBL teams so it's all speculation on here to get me excited.

As for those saying Perth will get flogged, all I can respond to that is by saying that they got flogged by NBL teams last year (Sydney comes to mind) and flogged teams last year too (Melbourne in Melbourne) so it's hard to judge a team albeit vastly different to last year that was so inconsistent.

Looking forward to seeing how Cotton plays vs NBA teams

Reply #692920 | Report this post

Zig  
Years ago

I think it is a reasonable expectation, that if both teams send their best, NBA will be a level above NBL.

I remember back in the day when the Wildcats would go to the USA, and they were playing IIRC High School teams, or at best 2nd-rate Colleges. (Although I don't know if the Cats were a full-strength team?)
So getting to play NBA teams is a big win for us and the league.

Keep in mind that in the past we've signed imports that variously "had never heard of Perth," "didn't know we had a professional league in Australia," etc, etc. So getting NBA teams to acknowledge our existence is big news.

Reply #692921 | Report this post

Baller  
Years ago

I think cotton will be a string or two below the NBA players. He definitely will need to thread between defenders and hope they don't keep pickin' him off too much of he could be left with a very dry mouth.

Reply #692922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dude, is your name really "Cat's 4 life"?

You do know it should be "Cats 4 life", don't you? Or are you referring to an actual cat, having nothing to do with the Wildcats?

Maybe it is just typical Perth grammar. I CAN'T SPELL PROPERLY, BUT I CAN COUNT TO 8 BECAUSE THAT IS HOW MANY CHAMPIONSHIPS WE HAVE!!!! {Insert Cletus laugh}

Reply #692924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think it is a reasonable expectation, that if both teams send their best, NBA will be a level above NBL."

Just depends on the day. OKC took their game last year more seriously than Melbourne and only won by a point. Beauty of sport, performances are unpredictable.

Reply #692925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You do know it should be "Cats 4 life", don't you? Or are you referring to an actual cat, having nothing to do with the Wildcats?

Maybe it is just typical Perth grammar. I CAN'T SPELL PROPERLY, BUT I CAN COUNT TO 8 BECAUSE THAT IS HOW MANY CHAMPIONSHIPS WE HAVE!!!! {Insert Cletus laugh}"

Probably the worst sledge I've ever seen here.

Reply #692929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would love for the last week (or so) of preseason to be scheduled in the USA for all NBL teams. Have the teams scattered across America creating relationships with sister teams (two per NBL team). Get their teams truly interested (or even invested) in the development of our teams.

Play the two NBA sister teams at the very start of their preseason in early Oct (one East, one West) and then return to start the NBL season the next week. Everyone starts on the same night on the east coast of Australia. Same travel, same timing and same opportunities for every NBL team.

How the clubs choose to use the opportunity would be up to them (on court performance, sponsorship/branding, exposure, coaching development, business relationships, education, etc) and might be different each year depending on their stage of development.

Reply #692932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So who is paying for all this? After least seasons NBA fail Kestleman said he was only going to send one NBL, NBA bound.

Reply #692935 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"So who is paying for all this? After least seasons NBA fail Kestleman said he was only going to send one NBL, NBA bound.

"

Err.... what? Last season's NBA fail? How was that venture in any way a failure?

Reply #692939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the multiple benefits for teams I find it hard to think that clubs couldn't find the money for this to happen each year. It should be self-sustaining if done right.

People squabble over money when it comes to developing the club, infrastructure, knowledge base, and building a better league, but they have no problem paying $300K to every player in the league.

Must be able to find funds for things like this or we return to BA with tail between legs.

Reply #692942 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I'm a bit more tentative about the whole NBA partnership/greater working relationship thing, but I do think it should happen and is potentially great for the league.

But I don't share the height of optimism as other posters here. I think the benefits are potentially huge, but probably so are the costs (and so have to decide whether those costs outweigh the benefits).

I'm not being naive but I do sometimes wonder what a game versus say Perth and Utah gives us materially and in substance above being more than just an exhibition game between NBA-NBL.

Reply #692944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we are talking two different things - business and sport.

The sport (the NBL/NBA preseason match) might be the least important part of the current partnership. However, I think the opportunities that open up at a business level are massive for clubs and the league.

It's not the sport that makes AFL huge in Australia in 2018 - it's the business.

To be taken seriously and compete against the football codes, the NBL needs to become a viable business where people want to buy franchises and broadcasters will pay $$$ and build their schedule around the product. The NBL has come a long way in two years, but it's still a bunch of people involved in sport as a hobby.

In a country with massive NBA viewership, I see these preseason games and the Boomers/USA games, as another step in the right direction.

Reply #692958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We only have small NBA viewership in Australia (don't believe the hype that doesn't have any actual numbers attached) but it's still a decent minority worth tapping into.

More important is the credibility the NBL being associated with the NBA gives to our league with this country's mainstream media, that's a big key in getting them to take the NBL more seriously.

Reply #692961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's quite possible the NBL will sell the rights to these games alongside the Boomers v USA and NBL season rights, adding another little cherry on top.

Reply #692962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HOw in anyway was the NBA experiment successful. LK himself said he will cut tit down to 1 team to tour.
Exposure for the NB at the NB:'s expense is hardly good business sense.

Reply #692964 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"OKC took their game last year more seriously than Melbourne and only won by a point"

Oh for sure. OKC threw everything at United and were lucky that United didn't take the game seriously. If Melbourne Tried at all they would have won for sure.

Some people.

Reply #692965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne played 13 players, OKC 10. Melbourne played their starters 147 minutes, OKC 162. Some people.

Reply #692967 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The fact you think an NBA team taking a game in any way seriously could come close to losing to an NBL game is grounds for the mental asylum. Starter minutes does not equal a team having a crack. Its about getting up and down the court a few times with guys they havent played with before. It was blindingly obvious to anyone without an agenda.

United also brought in a team of extra Americans to ensure they didn't embarrass themselves.

Again, the idea that an NBL team could even compete with an NBA team with both going 100% is laughable.

Reply #692973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Melbourne played 13 players, OKC 10. Melbourne played their starters 147 minutes, OKC 162. Some people."

What is this meant to prove?

Reply #692980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought it was a good effort by United even if OKC weren't going all out.

There is a fair gap between the two leagues so if you're getting within a point, even in a pre season environment, it should be applauded.

Too many haters around.

Reply #692982 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

It was a good effort. It is a huge gap, so getting close, even in a no stakes early pre season game is something to be proud of.

Having said that, those claiming that these games show our teams "can compete" with NBA teams are kidding themselves. In a competitive game, United would be embarrassed.

The team also felt the need to bring in a bunch of top up players to try to make sure it didn't look bad. Two of these players played more than guys like Moller, Adnam, Hooley, Majok, Smith-Milner.

Australian players played a total of 77 minutes and scored 16 points.

Says a lot about the supposed level of our supposed best ever talent that they don't trust the guys on the bench in a friendly. But they werent taking it seriously? Right

You can (and should) be proud of an NBL team's effort without going over the top and making absurd claims.

Reply #692986 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

If teams fund their own US trips, could this model work?

1. Sponsorships for the tour, with follow-up from club marketing types to sell NBL season sponsorships.
2. Supporters' tours sold for the trips (cricket does well from rich fanatics over-paying to tour with ex-players, maybe there’d be a demand for basketball tours).
3. Trials of imports who would meet the team state-side and play in these games.
4.Packaging tickets for these games with season memberships (travel to be booked separately) if 2. doesn’t attract enough punters.

All of the above just some ideas on how NBL clubs could leverage these tours into in-season support.

Reply #692999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They played 8 guys off the bench Cram, that was with Goulding out injured. Like it or not United was a team this year that didn't use Aussies players a lot, that's their choice under the current rules.

Reply #693004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In game 3 of the NBL grand final Melbourne's Aussie players not named Goulding played 60 minutes and scored 19 points. In game 4 it was 47 minutes and 13 points. In game 5 it was 36 and 11. So if anything Vickerman played his Aussie guys more in the NBA game than in the more meaningful games.

Reply #693005 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Hard to comment specifically, but if you're playing in the USA then I imagine NBA teams are big draw-cards. Playing an "Australian" team perhaps provides some interest, and presumably is significantly cheaper than 2x NBA teams.

End of the day, there are a lot of upsides for the NBL team, so they're presumably not looking to make money out of it.
It's not about proving an NBL team can match an NBA team. Nobody's going to believe that regardless of the result.

In marketing and advertising, businesses spend squillions purely on creating brand-awareness. So really this is about reminding the yanks that we do have a league, and what the level of quality is. We keep talking about viewing the NBL as a development pathway, and some players have had success in recent years, but it will be an ongoing battle to firm up that view.

It's also a great experience for the players, and potentially great exposure.

Reply #693006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The team also felt the need to bring in a bunch of top up players to try to make sure it didn't look bad. Two of these players played more than guys like Moller, Adnam, Hooley, Majok, Smith-Milner."

Fair call and it does point to the fact a large part of this is a marketing exercise to show the NBL is a decent quality league. However, I don't think the top up players were of a quality that was above a typical NBL roster. It wasn't like Melbourne brought in a bunch of superstars. My memory is also that the top up players didn't actually play particularly well. Finally, Melbourne did have at least a legitimate need for one replacement player as Goulding was out - a pretty big out for them.

Reply #693011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One top a player played about 15 minutes, one about 2 minutes at the end and the other same time as Moller. Hooley never played due to injury. Melbourne were very good including Adnam and Moller.

Reply #693013 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

It would be great to see the ball go through the basket on an NBA court so surely seeing that even in warm ups would be fantastic.

I do like the anon posters idea of playing an West/East affiliate team and think if it is early enough that it could help with deciding on imports if teams follow the United theory of topping up with American players to be competitive.

But I think we can't be leaving teams behind if we are serious about having working relationships with NBA teams ie if all Australian teams go over and Breakers stay home and do their own thing.

I love the idea of including NBA games in memberships potentially and even getting sponsors to pay for these trips, that could work with companies wanting to make their mark in America, whether they are Australian brands like BHP or international brands like Kia for example.

If NBL teams already have their Terrence Ferguson types then I'm guessing that these games will be a good chance to see how these players are on the big stage and that could really help with NBA scouts.

I'd like to see NBL do something about NBA scouts in encouraging more of them to come look at our league during season too, I'm not sure if giving them cheaper seats or even free seats if there can be a business arrangements between NBA and the respective NBL team or what but it's something I hope NBL teams can be proactive with

Reply #693014 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

One top up player played 19 minutes, another 13 which was enough to equal Moller and better all those other guys.

I could understand making a case for one top up player, but not a squad of them. If NBL players are so good, play them.

The worst part is those top up players did suck. They were pointless and there inclusion made a mockery of any idea that this was about an NBL team vs an NBA team. It was far closer to a g league team.

Reply #693016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The top up players weren't brought in to make them better, you can't bring in guys who don't know the team and think they'll improve you.

The fill-ins were guys United wanted to have a look at, and they used some of Goulding and Hooley's minutes with those guys injured.

Melbourne split the minutes 13 ways because they were in the middle of the season, they were managing some bodies so they could come back and win their next game of the NBL season.

OKC were using it as a dress rehearsal for their first game, hence why they took it a bit more seriously, used less players and played their starters more, albeit still managing Westbrook's minutes once he'd reached his cap for the game. Both teams wanted to win though, you could see that down the stretch.

Probably more motivation for OKC though, who wants to lose on their home floor to a no-name overseas team?

Reply #693026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats will smash Denver

Angus Brandt > Nicola Jokic

Damien Martin > Garry Harris

Jesse Wagstaff > Jamal Murray + Wilson Chandler

Reply #693045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who were the other imports Melbourne United had against OKC

Reply #693046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne United only had temporary ring in players because they had numerous injuries. And those players actually impeded them.

Reply #693050 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Melbourne United only had temporary ring in players because they had numerous injuries. And those players actually impeded them."

They still had more ring in players than injuries and regular players who barely played. It was weak.

Reply #693071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lots of sausage sizzles. eh l9ve

Reply #693097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can call it what you like, Melbourne had two injuries and replaced them with three players, one didn't get on till two minutes from the end, one played two guard where Goulding and Hooley was out with Prather playing two as well and the other played in the the three with Prather and Moller and had less time than Moller.

Reply #693101 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Weak

Reply #693110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lost by one point weak.

Reply #693115 | Report this post

Basketball  
Years ago

Reply #693218 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide 36ers vs Utah Jazz in Hawaii in early October

Reply #693219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers have money. Woot

Reply #693245 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754