Isaac
Years ago

Bucks looking to offload Delly?

The Ringer:

The Bucks are pursuing trades using the no. 17 pick to dump point guard Matthew Dellavedova, who has two years and $19.2 million remaining on his contract, according to league sources. Milwaukee, however, is only looking to trade down in the draft, not to use a deal as an outright salary dump.

Topic #43509 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

Can't blame the Bucks for wanting to get rid of him.

IMO He is the most overpaid player vis-a-vis his production and output.

That's not a criticism of Delly - he is probably the best teammate guy and the kind of attitude/work ethic you want around your team. But unfortunately that only gets you so far.

From a $ perspective for him, the new contract was great. But it's always being a bit of a double-edged sword insofar as with higher $ comes increased expectations. His value was high because of his salary (i.e. that cheap but really valuable guy) - but that was gone with the new contract.

Reply #693131 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah I love Delly but that was always a crazy contract

Reply #693132 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You can scroll down here to see a list of others in that $9m ballpark. Some solid contributors but also others who barely get time:

https://hoopshype.com/salaries/players/

e.g., Meyers Leonard's 3 and 2 per game. Jerryd Bayless who no longer gets minutes.

Reply #693136 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Luol Deng on $18m per to not play and whatever Mozgov's crazy contract is will always be worse than Delly's

Reply #693143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He got minutes in Cleveland and showed his value. How can he continue to do so stuck on Milwaukee's bench.

Reply #693144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He got minutes in Cleveland and showed his value."

He didn't show $10 mill a year value.

Reply #693151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know, how good was he during the Finals?

Reply #693152 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Dellavedova took advantage of the NBA salary boom.
Plenty of others getting the same if not more, that shouldn't be.

Will be hard to find a team willing to take $9m for a third string guard.

Reply #693153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Right place right time for Delly, even when he landed at the Cavs. Good luck to him.

Reply #693154 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Mozgov's is pretty bad I'd agree.

Can't really compare it to Luol Deng as Deng isn't even getting an opportunity to show anything - literally played 13 minutes all of last season.

Also worth mentioning that Delly isn't exactly "stuck" on the Buck's bench - he averaged 18.7mpg this past season. Granted not large minutes, but Delly's PER is atrocious - even though the system is designed to be more skewered to players playing lesser minutes.

Reply #693155 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

I would have thought $18m to play 13 minutes literally means he the "most overpaid player vis-a-vis his production and output".

Reply #693158 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I'm not a big Delly fan in that I said at the time he had to take that Bucks offer even if the inevitable happened and they tried to trade him but he's hardly the most overpaid player in the league in regards to production.

Reply #693159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This forum is so bipolar. You all seem to forget the "Delly BEAST MODE" going on in here at the time of the Cavs run.

Reply #693161 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"I would have thought $18m to play 13 minutes literally means he the "most overpaid player vis-a-vis his production and output"."

On a strict interpretation yes but given the circumstances and context of that, no.

Reply #693163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Delly's ideal spot is on a contender backing up a top-flight PG. His contract isn't that bad, he just doesn't fit what Milwaukee need.

Reply #693165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He owes Lebron a lot of that contract

Reply #693177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He owes Lebron a lot of that contract

Reply #693178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LeBron owes him a lot actually. Hustled like crazy for him for that championship.

Reply #693179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where would he fit best in? I think Philadelphia could use his toughness, and could harden Fultz up like he did Kyrie. McConnell had some good games but I'd take Delly's hard nose approach. Could be nearly straight swapwith Bayless, Bucks save a little bit, and why not throw in a late 2nd rounder. And there's always the Brett Brown Aussie connection.
Atlanta may need a backcourt enforcer with Young and they have enough cap room and would be good locker room presence.
Don't think any of the contenders need him really, not gsw or Houston who value offence, Boston are set in backcourt, maybe spurs but would be too expensive.
So imo the best places to head are young rebuilding teams that have money and a young point guard that needs some mongrel guidance. Come to think of it Dallas may be good too and the coach loves defence.

Reply #693182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Delly is great & good luck to him. If he invests what he's earned, then he won't ever have to worry about where the next meal is coming from. He can easily set himself up for life and then some.

However, If I recall correctly he 'beasted' it in the first year the Cavs lost to GSW when Kyrie went down with a knee injury. I don't think he played much in the finals the next year. He was pretty much back up to the back up in that series.

Reply #693184 | Report this post

Yinka Dare  
Years ago

No one mentioned parsons or Noah in worst contracts. Odd

Reply #693190 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

"If he invests what he's earned, then he won't ever have to worry about where the next meal is coming from."

Have you seen the dude's instagram? He has avacado for breakfast EVERY DAY! He's going to need to be careful with his money

Reply #693195 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

DF

Line of the day.

I suppose he can't save for a home deposit.

Reply #693226 | Report this post

woody  
Years ago

Delly was terrific in his last year with the Cavs that they won. Especially in the regular season, he was able to soak up so many minutes. I think he was mid 20's in the regular season. He shot the 3 at around 40%. In the Postseason Delly did not play that much but Lebron was fresh and did not play nearly as many minutes in the regular season as he has since Delly left.

Reply #693280 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:19 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754