Isaac
Years ago

Drmic replaces Wagstaff in Boomers team

The Australian Boomers have made a late change to their team for the upcoming FIBA World Cup qualifiers against Japan and the Philippines with Anthony Drmic joining the side to replace Jesse Wagstaff.

Suffering an injury during their training camp in Melbourne over the weekend, Wagstaff and the Boomers coaching staff has made the decision to be cautious with the Perth Wildcats forward.

Drmic, selected from the initial Boomers squad of 24, will join up with the team in Japan ahead of their game on Friday night at 8.40pm AEST with the rest of the Australian team having flown out this morning.
The Boomers will complete the first round of qualifiers this weekend when they face Japan (on June 29) and the Philippines (on July 2) in the third window.

Having already earned a spot in the second round after winning their first four games, Australia will be keen to maintain their success as results carry over into the second round which will begin in September.

Topic #43516 | Report this topic

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't want any Sixers playing in such games.

I know its selfish but I don't want the players exposed to injuries playing additional games.

Reply #693308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about the benefit of learning from others and improving their skills under different coaches. I think the benefit outweighs the risk especially as season hasn't started.

Reply #693309 | Report this post

Dome Rat  
Years ago

Fascinating how DJ cant get into the team because he didn't declare availability in time for the paperwork to be done yet Drmic can get a call up

Reply #693310 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems like an upgrade for the boomers anyway

Reply #693312 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Fascinating how DJ cant get into the team because he didn't declare availability in time for the paperwork to be done yet Drmic can get a call up
The article in the OP literally says Drmic was in the original 24-man squad.

Reply #693313 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Neither Wagstaff or Drmic should be in a boomers squad.
Would still be favourites to win both games.

Reply #693314 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

When it comes to Wagstaff and Drmic, they're not there because they're stars or something, they're there because they will do the gritty stuff that actually wins games. I don't think he's a Boomers level player either but he's probably the next best- hustle-guy at that position.

Reply #693324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he's got lots of untapped potential. Really happy for him.

Reply #693326 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Not bad for a current SEABL player lol

Reply #693329 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

LoveBroker, we see it all the time where players come back from representative duties better players. You always want your players participating.

Coming in here with that soft attitude... C'mon. Weak sauce.

Reply #693340 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Re: the potential point on Drmic. Bang on.

His potential is huge. Was a pretty prolific scorer in college.

Averages 6ppg - but could easily have a breakout season ala Sobey.

Reply #693345 | Report this post

maxymoo  
Years ago

First time in my life that I'll be cheering him on.

Reply #693364 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:36 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754