Anonymous
Years ago

NBAxNBL 2018: NBL announce 7 games against NBA teams

Official announcement tomorrow. NBL saying "if you thought last year was big..."

— Melbourne United vs Philadelphia 76ers, at Wells Fargo Center.
— Perth Wildcats vs Utah Jazz, at Vivint Smart Home Arena.
— Sydney Kings vs Los Angeles Clippers, at Stan Sheriff Center.
— New Zealand Breakers vs Phoenix Suns, at Talking Stick Resort Arena.
— Perth Wildcats vs Denver Nuggets, at Pepsi Center.
— Melbourne United vs Toronto Raptors, at Scotiabank Arena.
— Adelaide 36ers vs Utah Jazz, at Vivint Smart Home Arena.

Topic #43524 | Report this topic

FCF  
Years ago

— Melbourne United vs Philadelphia 76ers, at Wells Fargo Center.

— Perth Wildcats vs Utah Jazz, at Vivint Smart Home Arena.

— Sydney Kings vs Los Angeles Clippers, at Stan Sheriff Center.

— New Zealand Breakers vs Phoenix Suns, at Talking Stick Resort Arena.

— Perth Wildcats vs Denver Nuggets, at Pepsi Center.

— Melbourne United vs Toronto Raptors, at Scotiabank Arena.

— Adelaide 36ers vs Utah Jazz, at Vivint Smart Home Arena.

Reply #693396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just suggesting 36ers sign Childress a one off payment of a 100,000 thousand to play against the Jazz and a seasonal salary of 350,000 to keep him in the league.

Reply #693400 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Great effort by the NBL. DJ is going to get a trial by fire up against Gobert!

Reply #693402 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

NICE, wish my Sixers were playing my other Sixers.

Reply #693410 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

I don't see the Taipans or Illawarra mentioned here. Who do they play?

Reply #693412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns and Illawarra aren't involved. Says it all about where they are in the NBL's thinking.

Reply #693414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow , what a turn around from LK to go from only one game next season this this!!!

Reply #693416 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Great news.
No Brisbane this year either

Reply #693417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RIP Illawarra, Cairns an Brisbane.

Reply #693419 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

awesome news. I wonder if one of the NBL teams might sneak a win?

Reply #693422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"RIP Illawarra, Cairns an Brisbane"

oh wow Brisbane officially demoted to endangered species status. we all knew it but I am surprised the league made it official like this.

Reply #693424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they gel together over the next few months a full strength Sydney could be a chance anainst the Clippers i reckon

Reply #693425 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Perth might be competitive against Denver maybe? Especially if the Nuggets rest anyone.

Reply #693428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't disrespect Denver like that. Denver will win by over 30, easy. One of the best offensive teams in the league.

Reply #693430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These games all depend on how seriously the NBA teams take them. If they don't want it to be close it won't be close.

Reply #693433 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Um, does anyone remember the OKC vs United game....? Had their big 3 and main bench guys play most of the game and it came down to the last possession. Some games will be a lot closer than you think even with NBA teams' starters and main bench guys. Looking forward to it! Well done NBL

Reply #693440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The gap is definitely closing when you contrast recent performances to the Wildcats vs. Rockets game in 1995.

Reply #693441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'Some games will be a lot closer than you think'

yes because it means everything to the NBL guys and zero to the NBA guys

Reply #693443 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

It'll be as close as the NBA teams want it to be. While arguments could be made that the "gap is closing" its still a huge gap. This isn't a match up of teams from leagues with any overlap in talent. Its A grade vs C Grade.

Reply #693448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

like socceroos-France the aussies will lose to a clearly better opponent but everyone will be super proud of how we "could have won" and make unrealistic one eyed predictions for upcoming matches

Reply #693449 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

[blockquote]Cairns and Illawarra aren't involved. Says it all about where they are in the NBL's thinking.[/blockquote]

No....this is a reflection on those teams not the NBL.

I don't think a team who had Jerry Evans Jnr as an import and can't even keep their starting backcourt should be allowed to represent the NBL in such a stage.

They are like the Markles to the Royal family. We celebrate Meghan and Harry union but we don't talk about or bring 'those others'.

Reply #693451 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

And this itself is a good reflection of how this current "progress" of the league will be short term only. It simply isn't a sustainable model and no matter how many games NBL teams play against NBA teams, it won't become one.

Reply #693452 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Dick head.

Reply #693455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK doing well beefing up additional games to tack onto any NBL TV rights package:

7 NBAxNBL games the week before the regular season begins (perfect intro)

NBL regular season

5 Boomers pre-World Cup 2019 games (including two games on August 22 and 24, 2019 vs. USA)

Not bad.

Reply #693456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If DJ can drop 50 on Gobert surely he's a chance at an injury replacement position with the qualification stage Boomers.

Reply #693457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lemanis says NO!

Reply #693458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if DJ single handedly carried the sixers to a win over Utah (not gonna happen), Lemanis would find some other excuse. "He doesn't pass the ball like we want" or some other bs

Reply #693459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see the headlines now "DJ scores historic NBA century in win over NBA team Utah" followed by "Lucas Walker called in as injury replacement for injured Daniel Kickert for Boomers"

Reply #693460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't assume that NBL sides will be going 100 percent and NBA sides taking it easy.

NBL sides will be tuning up for their regular season as well so if there's any injury risks they won't take it and also they'll give all the bench players a run as it's a "once in a lifetime" opportunity

Reply #693463 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I for one am pretty excited at the prospect of watching the Breakers take on the Suns.
Breakers by 12 lol

Reply #693466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the NBL now still doesn't get a revenue steam from league rights packaged with these NBA pre-season games and Boomers vs. USA then I feel we are doomed due to lack of appetite from broadcasters.

Reply #693468 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think those games are broadcasted by ESPN

Reply #693469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They were last season. That means nothing for the next season.

Reply #693470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The forum has been quite slow today considering this news?

Reply #693471 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"This year's series will include more than five games and comes after months of talks between the two leagues and their franchises, and all games are expected to be broadcast live into Australia on ESPN."

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/adelaide-36ers-to-play-joe-ingles-utah-jazz-in-nba-preseason-game-in-october/news-story/b7ce6947f10dcb8adc69c888e4d6b5fb

Reply #693473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't BA in charge of the US games in Australia?

Reply #693475 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBL has the broadcast rights.

Reply #693479 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

LoveBroker, you taking the piss with the blockquote coding cock-ups?

Reply #693480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't see NBL teams taking it too seriously. Sure they'll try on the court, but in terms of scouting it will be an afterthought compared to their upcoming regular season games, and anyone who needs rest will get rest.

Reply #693481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET - "expected".

Reply #693483 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Can't really see an NBL player deciding to rest over playing against an NBA team. Maybe Bogut.

Reply #693487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players don'r really get a say, if the S&C guy says you only get 20 minutes, you'll only get 20 minutes.

Reply #693494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about the NBL next stars program? Seems to have gone very quite??

Reply #693496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still seems like it's happening, NBL facebook page posted a video the other day asking Thon Maker if his brother could be one of the players in the program

Reply #693497 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"Cairns and Illawarra aren't involved. Says it all about where they are in the NBL's thinking."

I think you'll find a lot of the teams did their own negotiations for these games.

"These games all depend on how seriously the NBA teams take them. If they don't want it to be close it won't be close."

I doubt OKC went into the Melbourne game thinking 'gee, I want this to be close!'

"like socceroos-France the aussies will lose to a clearly better opponent but everyone will be super proud of how we "could have won" and make unrealistic one eyed predictions for upcoming matches"

United vs OKC was nothing like Socceroos and France. It's not unrealistic to say Melbourne could have won that game. In fact, in the last minutes it was a 50/50 equation.

"And this itself is a good reflection of how this current "progress" of the league will be short term only. It simply isn't a sustainable model and no matter how many games NBL teams play against NBA teams, it won't become one."

Why, because some teams are still struggling? Way I see it is the NBL now has 5 teams that they're ready to showcase to the world, which are managed and funded adequately. Before LK came in there was only one - the Perth Wildcats. Rome wasn't built in a day.

-

Anyway, how anyone can have an issue with this is beyond me. My team, the 36ers, didn't play the NBA games last season but I didn't go and have a whinge about it because I saw how important it was to the league's credibility that we play any games against NBA teams at all. But here we are, a year later, and the sixers are in. I don't see why Illawarra, Cairns or Brisbane can't make a push for it next year. And I am also of the belief that the teams themselves actually sourced out a lot of these games, and that the league is just kind of taking credit, because of the talks we heard of between Sydney and LA, and Perth and Utah. If Illawarra and Cairns weren't as resourceful then that's their problem.

As for how close the games could be, well we could be served up anything. You often see in basketball that inferior teams can get the win or be more competitive than they should be, especially in pre-season when chemistry is still being worked out. The lack of scouting from NBA teams may be the great equalizer, or maybe their choice to only run stars for limited minutes. But I thought our teams made a good account of themselves last year. Melbourne game OKC a legitimately solid fight regardless of what anyone says. Their stars played big minutes, and they were very close to winning. As for the other games, they were probably more competitive than the absolute blow outs I was personally expecting.

When it comes to on court outcomes, I think we should expect to fight hard, play well, show some genuine skill, but in the end fall to these teams. If we don't look like absolute pushovers and we look like we have some skill we will do more than enough. No one expects us to win. It isn't impossible, but it's not really what the games are about. If we can keep games under 20 point margins in the series I think it will speak highly of our level of play.

Reply #693506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK is behind it all not individual clubs.

Reply #693522 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

ME - yes. yes yes yes.

Reply #693527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll just be hoping the bookies set up massive lines like last time to take advantage of.

Reply #693530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was thinking the same thing. NBL disrespected.

Reply #693539 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

NZ really wanted to play OKC with the obvious Steven Adams connection but apparently they weren't one of the teams the NBA was offering to the NBL so it was off the cards for this year.
Pretty happy with a game full stop after watching Melbourne’s game last year on ESPN.
Phoenix is a good match being one of the Breakers Owners former teams.

Reply #693551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

IF DeMar DeRozan gets trade United vs Raptors could be a close game?

Reply #693686 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Yes we all know that the NBA teams will put the 12 best basketballers on the court each game but at the end of each game we won't think that the best 12 players were all from that side.

Looking forward to seeing how our teams play.

We know next year we are due two additional NBL teams so this crap about leaving NBL teams behind is a pointless discussion as if you're an owner wouldn't you prefer to spend money on a competitive squad than waste resources on a practice game.

Just interested to hear how many people on here are interested in attending these games in person.

Also interested if we have Brisbane, Cairns and Illawarra fans that would fly to America to see their team play under the big lights

Reply #693964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to see is Brisbane, Cairns and Illawarra are here in 2 seasons time.

Reply #693969 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Great news, bring it on, can't wait.....

Reply #694051 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:37 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754