Bullshorn
Years ago

Junior District Umpiring - too many green shirts

Getting sick of the poor and unprofessional account of junior district umpiring. It's the not the umpires, it’s more to do the way it’s run. So many Saturday morning venues have prodomently green shirt umpires, some cases only on grey shirt between 2 courts or 2 between 3-4 courts. I get that need to train green shirts for next generation but having 2 greeen shirts umpiring a game I believe is unacceptable at district level of any age group. What’s more is the level of support of there lack of given by court supervisors. I was at a game this morning and there was a umpires coach watching 2 green shirts umpire. Unfortunately all I seen him doing while game was being played was sitting on his phone. Seems some are just there to earn $$$$. End of my vent!

Topic #43538 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah plenty are there just for the $$. It's such a lucrative profession that it attracts a lot of greedy types who just want to zone out, cash their checks, and then drive home in their lambo's.

Reply #693938 | Report this post

Bullshorn  
Years ago

So what are there for then? Cause doesn't seem like there there to their job!!

Reply #693942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You lost me at umpiring. This is not the AFL.

Reply #693951 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Have noticed Grey shirters very few these days ,majority green shirters Saturday Mornings One guy apparently employed by basketballSA is responsible for this but he does nothing to train them,he sits in the office most of the time playing computer games to pass the time,it's too cold to supervise games,My son refereed at Wayville,copped abuse from spectators so I said this unacceptable,he did nothing so following week I kept him home and he’s enjoying it .

Abuse from parents are driving referees away these days .i don’t blame them ,one day it will be parents and someone from team to referee.BSA should do this ,they can save even more $$$ Stadium managers don’t really want to know what happens on Saturday mornings ,the complaints are given to UIC to be dealt with.

In 90s good referees around nowadays it’s not worth it to let your children play basketball for district teams.

Reply #693959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah in my experience most parents are pretty good but it doesn't take too many douchebags to have a very negative effect on a comp / stadium

Reply #693967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bulls horn it's bad and gonna get worse.
Basketball SA will suffer
Soon no green shirters left
Mark my words within 6~12 months will see less referees.

Reply #693968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You lost me at umpiring. This is not the AFL."

Word.

Reply #693973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Showing your ignorance then, since umpire is correct FIBA terminology for the 2 officials that are not the crew chief.

Reply #693975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But as a group they are called referees. FIBA now have a European "Elite referee program" to identify the next elite group. It's not “Elite umpire program”.

Basketball - referee
Cricket - umpire
AFL - umpire
Soccer - referee
NRL/Super Rugby - referee
Tennis - umpire

It’s not hard. You don’t yell at the basketball come on umpire....or WTF umpire! It’s WTF ref!!

Reply #693976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Furthermore if you want to talk ignorance, in the official rules they are discussed as officials ( outside of their definition as crew chief, umpire 1 and umpire 2. Which was only recently changed) But I wouldn't want to nit pick!!

Reply #693980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are too many footy yobs on here going on about flags, lists and umpires. Cringeworthy.

Reply #693992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all the keyboard warrior out there, I think you will find there are umpires in Basketball. No Referee????

From the FIBA rules

Officials, table officials and commissioner
The officials shall be a crew chief and 1 or 2 umpire(s). They shall be assisted by the table officials and by a commissioner, if present.

Reply #693999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe you should google FIBA referees manual and read what the FIBA referee department release!! Oh it's not the FIBA umpiring department!!! My bad.

Reply #694006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or look up Carl Jungebrand, FIBA head of refereeing. Gee, there is that word again.

Reply #694008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame its not FIBA standard where we could use the words correctly. Sheesh.
Always has been refs. Like "football" and soccer. It will always be soccer.

Reply #694011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Football is football not soccer. Another handegg lover I see.

Reply #694014 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Sport - Officials - Players - Spectators - Coaches - Managers - Medical Staff - Board Members - Supporters - Club Members - Volunteers.

Same same!

Most important of these is subjective, they are all important...

Reply #694015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is all clear to me now why people have issues with officiating. We have referees doing what umpires should be doing and vice versa. No wonder they are confused!!

Reply #694017 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

just like the kids playing div 3-4-5-6-7 etc learning the game - you have umpires as well that are learning so patience must be of the essence. However recently we have had a ref assure teams playing that zone defence is fine and allowable in u14s and the best one was when our opposition stepped in the keyway on foul shots our score was waved away.

Reply #694039 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:42 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754