Anonymous
Years ago

South Women - another big loss

Another 50+ point loss. I don't know what the imports did to deserve being sacked, but I sure hope it wasn’t performance-related.

Richard Dickel has some work ahead of him.

Topic #43539 | Report this topic

TNT  
Years ago

4 baskets a quarter...ouch!

Reply #693979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They got a bunch of kids playing, pretty sure everyone at the club is aware of the issues, and they were getting flogged even with the imports

Reply #693987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Should be punished for rocking up with a bad social team each week. Lost to the under 16 girls state team in a practice game.

Reply #693997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should they be punished??? They're not doing it on purpose. If centrals didn't have their superstar imports they'd probably lose to them.
They just need a couple of players, open up the chequebook and who knows. What is the problem is that junior girls in this state are centred around a few clubs, a lot of bench players are happy sitting instead of playing.

Reply #694000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They would have to overpay to get average talent. Girls are too loyal to the point where promising players bench warm there whole careers and then quit. Theyre better off trying to develop what juniors they have, get 2 quality imports (on and off the court) to help them be competitive and mentor there juniors.

Reply #694001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well I hope letting their juniors get smashed by almost 100 a couple times and by more than 50 constantly develops them quickly

Reply #694004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They could just do what southern did and pillage players from every other club, only two players in last nights team played juniors at southern, and when those girls move on watch the fall from the heights they have

Reply #694007 | Report this post

TNT  
Years ago

Pretty sure at least 5 of the girls played at Southern in juniors at some time.

Reply #694009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would rather watch juniors from a club get the opportunity to play PL and lose than watch a team made up of ring ins win a game (Tigers)

Tigers have very few Club juniors in the PL team and those that are there make up the numbers and never get on. Unfortuneately most of their quality juniors do not play at the Club anymore as they were being asked to travel to Henley Beach twice a week to train even just to play 23's.

Would you rather spend all of your money and resouce on winning a PL title or having a good junior program.

Souths junior program is well ahead of the Tigers based on ladder positions.

Given 90% of a Club is made up from their Junior program I dont think South should be too concerned about the performance of their Womens PL team.

Reply #694010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having good juniors means your premier league team can lose by 50 and it be okay. Cool

Reply #694012 | Report this post

South have no-one else to blame but themselves. Its not about southern stealing players/jnrs. The only jnr you could claim that for is C Harnett but she also was a Southern jnr as well.

They picked a coach 5-6 years ago who had never coached before.
Had no intention and was very vocal about not developing jnrs.

Yet the committee did nothing about it. Quite the opposite in fact they left her in charge and renewed her contract year after year.

Where were you all when she had no South jnrs in her squad? Happy to point the blame as southern right now, but very short memories you all seem to have.

I take my hats off to Chas and his assistant coaches who have stood up to help coach, mentor and develop these girls. Great move getting the imports to move on.

Reply #694018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some very uneducated comments from some snipers out there (punishing the Club/players [wth?] )

This is an example of where women's basketball in SA is likely to go. You only need to look at how many Clubs can't field Junior Div 1 Girls teams to look into the future.

Their coaches are working with what they've got. It's not like they've sent a group of highly competitive players away and asked to work with a young and inexperienced group. They're all putting in every week, but maybe not up to the level some the keyboard warriors are happy with.

At least this Club is promoting juniors to the ranks and not on the phone to your home grown, bench players who only sit on the pine so your recruited ring-ins are happy for the limited time they're there.

Reply #694030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree. Tigers are to blame... for everything

Reply #694031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A bunch of actual children beat them. They're losing by an average of what must be 40 points a game. I commend the players for still rocking up and dealing with it each week. I wonder if they celebrated only losing by 30 the other week.

Reply #694034 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

IMO take a season or two off, play premier league reserves and rebuild - we should only have teams that are of a standard. Only problem it means byes or a different draw to the men. How long will players turn up and commit when losing significantly all the time. We have found in juniors clubs that do this lose players from this experience.

Reply #694041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look at most teams and very few are filled with their own juniors. The current 18s comp is only 8 teams and there are the top two or three out of that, then daylight. One club can't fill any div one junior teams. And Women’s youth league is terrible with under 18 girls propping that up.
Clubs have forever treated the girls as 2nd class citizens. Happy to take the money in juniors to pay for the men’s imports. The "top" girls club probably the worst example. It makes me really angry as to how the women’s competitions are treated by all clubs. Thankfully the people associated with these teams and players are top shelf. It’s time clubs started to give back to their girls. Treat and provide for them as equals.
Leave South alone, they will find their way. If all clubs played only their own juniors it would be a much more even comp.

Reply #694042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are referring to North as the club with the "top girls" that takes for its men's imports, you will be surprised to know that both teams have the same budget, it is minimal compared to other clubs spending, the juniors money is hardly touched compared to other, much bigger spending clubs ( to Norths detriment when trying to compete with the Tigers and Eagles budgets ) and both PL teams have sponsors and fundraise as well.
So if referring to North, get your facs straight first.

Reply #694043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you think North is the top girls club, then you need to get your facts right. I wasn't referring to North, but referring to club you got a few of your PL girls from.

Reply #694046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starling and Reed would be the highest paid import combination in the league.

Reply #694050 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Maybe this is Forestville's fault as well?

Reply #694065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the knuckle head that said south should pull out of the competition, they have to have a women's team in order to field a men’s team drongo

Reply #694066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North 15-0 not the top girls club. Weird way of looking at it. I'm sure the players Forestville lost to them would have the Eagles at the top of the ladder though

Reply #694067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starling and Reed are far from highest paid import duo.

North's PL budget is split 50/50 between men and women

North has only one girl from Forestville who get's meaningful minutes. Maybe someone needs to understand why girls are leaving Forestville.

Reply #694068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does any other club have two returning visa imports? Starling is full time I believe.

Reply #694071 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Returning visas are not the same in 2018 as previous years. The visa changed so a club can sponsor a player meaning that old "returning visa" argument is mute. Try to keep up.
Starling is employed by the club in the community, that has nothing to do with his match payments.
CJ is getting very little for playing for North, just provided with some work at St Peters to help him support himself.

Reply #694077 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754