Anonymous
Years ago

LeBron playing with son

LeBron has made it known that his crowning glory would be to play with his son. So let's say in 4 or whatever years his son is eligible for draft and LeBron is still dominant. At what point would you draft junior if he is not very good, let's say he might struggle to even make second round based on talent. Would a team use a top 10 pick on him knowing that LeBron would come just to play with son and would own draft rights.
Reckon this could be real possibility in the near future.

Topic #43555 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

His son actually looks good though.

Reply #694493 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Alot of water to go under the bridge between now and then.

Injury to LBJ or Son changes in NBA landscape etc

It might be a goal but so many of these young hyped kids never sniff an NBA floor

Reply #694547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, his son doesn't look 'ok,’ he looks pretty damn impressive. Obviously how much he grows is a factor but he has the tools to be an NBA player one day.

You don’t draft him to get a year or two of late 30s Lebron, though. Waste of time and money

Reply #694642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way Lebron is playing he may well be in MVP form in his 40s. And his kid may become pretty good, but would a factor in drafting him would be to get his dad. Sure the Hawks would like to see their arena full for a change.

Reply #694651 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

His son is ranked in top 10 for 2023 class.
Assuming one and done is abolished by then LeBron will be 38 at time of that draft so it is feasible for him and his son to play together/against each other for at least 2 seasons.

Reply #694725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See if Lebron can score 40pts once he turns 40..

Reply #694730 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I'd be a bit concerned about anyone sniffing an NBA floor.

Will LeBron son have the hunger that’s needed to make it to the NBA? He could just trade on the family name and spend some of the billions his father makes. To really succeed at pro sports, a certain hunger is required. This often comes from learning to pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Potentially less motivation if you’ve already got it made.

Reply #694811 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

If they did play together it'd still be way cool.

Reply #694813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, comming from a rich background limits your hunger and desire to be able to make it to the top.....it really has hindered Steph and Klay's progress.

Reply #694959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Son doesn't wear 23 because he doesn't want to be linked with dad, pity he's called LeBron junior.
Ridiculous how they already ranking kids for 2023 class, long way to go. But senior will never play against his son, original point of post is his dream of playing with son. And don't be surprised if he is scoring 40 at 40. Still best player at 35 and no signs of slowing down, testament to how he looks after body. Damn, his son may retire before he does.

Reply #694961 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Lets hope his Son is not good enough for NBA, so an NBL team can throw him a lifeline, so LeBron comes as well when he retires from NBA.

Seriously though, if his son turns out to be good enough, no reason they couldn't be together. Most champions like LeBron prefer to go out whilst still on top. But this might give him incentive to stick around for a season or two, even if he had to take a pay cut and warm the bench.

Would a team go for this? Fuck yeah. The Marketing alone would be a goldmine.

To get back to the OP's question, I suppose the question is how much extra value it would add to Junior.
Let's say, hypothetically, Senior is a FA and on the brink of retirement when Junior becomes eligible, and lets it be known that he will sign (for minimal coin) to whatever team drafts his son. Would that push his son a slot or two up the draft??
I reckon it might, depending on how desperate the team is for marketing opportunities.
Off the top of my head, I'd imagine it might elevate him from just outside contention into a draft spot. But as somebody said above, I don't feel that a team would use a valuable pick, unless Junior warranted it. As was said, you don't jeopardise the future of the franchise for a photo-op.

I guess the other issue, is whether the NBA has rules that would view this as draft tampering?

The big personal question for the family though, is do you really want to stick Junior with that label? "Only got drafted cos of his Dad?" Dad's can certainly open the right doors, but there;s a big difference between getting your kid a try-out, and actually directly influencing his draft.

Reply #695003 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"Son doesn't wear 23 because he doesn't want to be linked with dad, pity he's called LeBron junior. "

I always laugh at that picture on the internet poking fun at it. Gold:

"Lebron Jnr doesn't wear his dad's number because he doesn't want people to know who he is"

*Announcer: Coming in number 4, Lebron James Jnr"

Crowd: "ayo bruh who that guy is?".

Reply #695006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It did wonders for MLB when Kevin Griffey and son played together and hit back to back home runs.

Reply #695045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... for the Seattle Mariners of the 90s.

Reply #695046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Most champions like LeBron prefer to go out whilst still on top". Which NBA stars have retired whilst at the top?

I can only think of David Robinson and Stockton really in the last 30 yrs. In recent years they hang on even longer getting the cheques.

Reply #695160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Although he may have gone out a champ, Robinson only averaged 8.5 points and 7.9 rebounds his final year as Duncan was the reason they won.

Reply #695226 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"on top" being a loose phrase.
Nobody goes out at their peak,

but it also seems to me that guys who've had the earning power of a LeBron, and who would still be earning a mint off the court, probably wouldn't consent to polish the bench for league minimum at the end of their careers.

If anything, often it seems their last contract is a bit too long and a bit too generous.

Reply #695253 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:41 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754