KB
Years ago

Boomers did rip up court stickers pre game

Former Sydney King owner Steve Dunn has confirmed on Twitter that is was the Australians that ripped up the court decals without permission.

This has been referenced many times by fans as a source of anger, kid of agree that you don't do that to an opposition facility without permission.

Topic #43563 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Remove decals > ? > Basketbrawl

Reply #694713 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

This is a really bad justification.

Reply #694731 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They must really love their court stickers

Reply #694733 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

What were he stickers of ?

Reply #694737 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

They are only sponsor decals get over it. It wasn't even close to the Julius Hodge incident in Adelaide.
The Filipino's are just trying to justify their despicable behavior on the world stage with bullshit like this and their "racism claims"

Reply #694738 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I also read an article where a photo was shown (don't have the link) allegedly confirming Aussie officials/coaches removing it, they admitted it, both camps accepted it overnight and the Aussies apologised.

They apparently admitted (in the article) that they should not have removed it, rather should have complained it was unsafe or whatever and left it to the venue managers. Maybe they had no confidence it would be removed, who knows!

Still, can't see how the worst basketball brawl I have ever seen is ignited by this, so I would start looking for other reasons if if this is where you are heading with this post OP...

Notice I said reasons, no more excuses or unjustified cover ups and rumors please?

Reply #694747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didnt think they allowed sponsor stuff in FIBA games. On the floor?

Reply #694749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think FIBA got sponsorship from TCL so had to back down and let the host nation put a circle of sponsorship in the keys.

Reply #694765 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Honestly, so what?

Reply #694771 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

If you watch the game in it's entirety , it is clear from m the very first wet that the Philippines were out to disrupt the Australians with their off ball hits
Within 2 mins of Kikart being on the court an opposition player had deliberately shoved him and nothing was called, this continued all game
That’s the reason this escalated to what it did
Pull it apart from by frame and yes kikart did ignite that spark with his retaliation, but you need to see the reasons why before you apportion blame

The officials had no handle on this game apart from handing out t change to players who complained about the off ball dirty play

Add to this a coach who literally invited his players to raise this even further and the end result was an appalling display of the standard you would expect from basketball in the Philippines streets

Reply #694772 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Interesting that the Australian team decided to rip stickers/decals off a Filipino court because of the danger/risk but the same players are compelled to play on NBL courts with the very same issue.

Not relevant to the melee but a valid - and probably more important - point well worth exploring in the context of the physical well-being of NBL players.

Reply #694773 | Report this post

Nathan of Perth  
Years ago

Just read that the decals were ripped up during a closed practice session before game-day? I mean, I can understand the head of marketing being pissed but the idea that this should spark a brawl between players is just oddball.

Reply #694779 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

Ah ok they pulled up a sticker there so that justifies smashing chairs over players? Good on ya

Reply #694787 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally understand why the coaches and cameraman whooped our asses after a stunt like that. The nerve of those players. Lucky we didn't shoot on the wrong hoop during warmups or else an all-out brawl with the 20k fans in the stands would have been less than we deserved.

Reply #694797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not our fault that the returns policy on court stickers are strict

Reply #694807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its all on Youtube

Reply #694809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pop. Rest assured if the decals aren't right on an NBL court they are ripped up and replaced until they are right.

Reply #694848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA stated the issue with the court stickers was an admin issue not a player one, they deemed them unsafe and instead of requesting the removal by officials they took matters into their own hands, the players had nothing to do with it.

The Philippines team are basically jerks

Reply #694863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The brawl is still going... at least on the Phillipines basketball Facebook page

Reply #694872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Video of Stickers being removed

https://twitter.com/jinnorufino/status/1013399032201269248

Reply #694896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sticker gate

http://tv5.espn.com/basketball/gilas/story/_/id/23961892/removal-sticker-ph-arena-floor-seen-video

Reply #694897 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

Kickert caught on vid pushing during the warm ups. Nasty kickert.

Reply #694899 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think you missed the part where the player tried to trip Kickert, mate.

Reply #694901 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Surely this Carl bloke can be shown the door?

Reply #694912 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

Yes there was a kick. After kickert push them a lot of times. I saw the vid he was nasty. Tsk..

Reply #694915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when are the mods going ban this carl idiot ? Do the mods just let him trolling Aussie fans here ?

Reply #694929 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

Anon why are you getting upset? I thought it's the other way around. Common mate. :)

Reply #694930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

twenty four. Yes he is very annoying.

Reply #694931 | Report this post

Letsgosixers  
Years ago

The bias and rationality on these threads is unbelievable. But i accept it. Cant we do that with Carl? If he a troll, ignore him. Was what Kickert did justified, was the phillipines response justified? We all have different perspectives of things. Cannot we, as a collective, accept this? Or has it come down to what we just agree with and to hell with everyone else. You gonna shut me down too, now?

Reply #694934 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

He keeps on attacking me thats why I'm kinda making/having fun of anon. Now he is mad. Haha.

Reply #694935 | Report this post

Letsgosixers  
Years ago

Not sure thats the best response tho Carl. Thats anons excuse as well. Sound familiar? One basketball game last night, perhaps? Each to their own i guess, until something breaks

Reply #694936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Letsgosixers

The purpuse of " carl "
posting here is just to annoy people.

Does he support the boomers ? Judging by his comments, No

Is he an Aussie? Most likely Not.

If you want to put up with his nonsense, that is up to you.

Reply #694937 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

The sticker thing is just the Philos grasping at straws at this point. Yes, it was a small issue beforehand but only because they already planned to be confrontational to Australia. You can see it in how a player tries to trip Kickert at half court.

Reply #694938 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

Letsgosixers I posted something on the other thread. Try to read it. Ignore this anon. Hahaha.:)

Reply #694939 | Report this post

Letsgosixers  
Years ago

@ anon

So you dont like him, and may well feel entitled to, but is that not a matter of opinion? Does that mean we lock him up, boot him, shut down his right to speak? Judging by your comment, your passing judgement on him yourself. Perhaps even cos he not saying things you want to hear. I support boomers, im australian, but looking at it rationally, ripping up stickers, acting like idiots perhaps and certainly decking players is not always easy to defend, no matter what the justification

Reply #694945 | Report this post

Carl  
Years ago

Well done mate. I'm actually not blinded on what happened unlike this anon who keeps on attacking anyone who said something he doesn't like even tho there's nothing wrong offensive about it towards our team. He needs to put down the green and gold glasses and see that it's not all about the boomers or Oceania there's a whole world you need to see.

Reply #694946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now that all sides of the story have come out and all the extra video footage has come out I have to say that I am no less disgusted by the actions of whoever it was that instigated the decal removal. Absolutely inexcusable and sick. We are meant to be a society of civilised human beings but clearly evolution still has a lot of catching up to do in Australia. Tonight I am ashamed to be an Aussie.

Reply #694947 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Anon don't you mean you are ashamed to be a filipino trolling as an Aussie?

Reply #694956 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

My kids belt people for snatching their stickers too. We just end up taking their play things away.

Reply #695008 | Report this post

Fred  
Years ago

Who cares about a sticker?? Doesn't entitle to play the filthy tactics from the Filos. Absolutely disgusting behaviour

Reply #695083 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

It was slippery they took it off so what!

I guess that means we can start trouble and bash people for pretty much any reason?

Reply #695085 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

So the stickers were making the floor slippery and one of the rings was several inches higher than it should have been. Yeah, don't tell me that wasn't on purpose. I'm sure they know perfectly well how to set a ring to 10 feet

Reply #695086 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

http://www.espn.com.au/nbl/story/_/id/23991400/boomers-coach-andrej-lemanis-says-filipinos-set-suspect-court

Reply #695088 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

The Filipino's are simply clutching at straws to justify their appalling behavior.

If the Filipino's put as much effort into training as they do making excuses for their behavior they may possibly be slightly less crap at Basketball.

Reply #695089 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Phillipines can pretty much kiss their WC hosting rights goodbye if those claims of court sabotage can be proven.

Reply #695091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LeManis has now accussed the Philo's of sabotaging their 2 hour training session.
Slippery decals and one ring perhaps 6 -7 " high at one end. When asking for assistance the "help" disappeared.

Reply #695092 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Well, there was obviously someone there to take the video footage of them removing the decals lol. How convenient.

Reply #695093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice, Philippines are being exposed for who they are. They are so dumb, especially since they had qualified for the next stage so why risk it all for a somewhat meaningless qualifier. BWAHAHAHA, they are soooooo dumb. Loving it! 2023 World Cup Australia would be a perfect solution.

Reply #695101 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

FIBA are going to have to come down harshly on those involved.

FIBA operate in a space where health and safety is absolutely critical to their environment - because players, and especially NBA players, earn their living (the latter, a big living) through their respective professional teams; they cannot afford to be injured at a FIBA event.

Any lack of action by FIBA will cause professional teams and players to lose confidence in their ability to maintain H&S/to think that the risk is too great (not to mention that insurance premiums for NBA guys will probably rise).

Ultimately, it could dissuade a number of top-level players from coming to qualifiers. i.e. if you're the Bucks, you're probably saying why should we send Delly and Maker to the next one if there are going to be this issues (not just with the brawl, but with things such as slippery floor stickers, no security or police in the stadium, no control by FIBA referees).

Reply #695118 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I.e. If FIBA are trying to incentivise the game to NBA players/teams and reassure H&S concerns to gain their participation, a disproportionate response here would be a massive failure.

Reply #695119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MACDUB correct.

Even if FIBA do nothing pro leagues around the world headlined by NBA will tell FIBA you better replace the host of the 2023 World Cup with another nation. LOL @ Philippines, you f*cked yourselves over!

Reply #695120 | Report this post

=  
Years ago

so if it was a closed session - how did recorded footage get out ? Closed session = no cameras. work that out.

Reply #695141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course they were filming us. and manipulating the height of the hoop. and god knows what else. Dirty.

Reply #695146 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

It all makes sense now! It must be Filipinos that install outdoor hoops at small primary schools. Those things are always the wrong height.

Reply #695156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Closed session means no public that's all. PLenty of locals there working to film it.

Reply #695158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Loving it! 2023 World Cup Australia would be a perfect solution."

Imagine the online melts from Filo fans if this happened lol

Reply #695165 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

those philipinos are fuc**** dirty. They put on slippery stickers on the pratice court so aussie players would get injured. Then so what the aussies took off the slippery stickers ? This is call self preservation.

They also made The rings 7,8 inches higher than normal so they would sabotage boomers' pratice.

Thees philipinos are such assholes.

Reply #695175 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Yeah I never considered that about the filming. They could have very possibly broken a FIBA law doing that.

Reply #695176 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

If they take the 2023 WC from the Philippines, I doubt if they'll give it to Australia.

You’re assuming FIBA will see us as blameless, and will put politics aside.

No way - the media exposure around the aggression shown by Kickert and Maker made sure of that.

Reply #695193 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:45 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754