Anonymous
Years ago

Hawks sign Cedric Jackson

Nice pickup.

Illawarra Hawks have pulled off a major coupe, signing 6"3' Point Guard and perennial National Basketball League (NBL) winner Cedric Jackson for the 2018-19 season.

Jackson is the 9th Hawks signing of the 11-man roster and will join skipper Kevin White, veterans AJ Ogilvy, Tim Coenraad and David Andersen, fellow import Jordair Jett, as well as young-guns Daniel Grida and Emmett Naar and sharp-shooting swingman Todd Blanchfield.

Topic #43576 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

10th and 11th signing needs to be a couple of absolute monster big men. Otherwise they are going to get punished. Andersen won't offer much this year and Ogilvy was completely missing last year.

Does this mean Jett plays the two?

Reply #695294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conklin one of the last two from what everyone has been saying?

Reply #695295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge signing of he slots in well and fits the team.

Reply #695296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking more & more like Conklin is the last import... that's a pretty strong guard rotation, with guys that can create, pass, drive & defend.

Like it! : )

Reply #695298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weird signing both him and Jett

Reply #695307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why?

Reply #695311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weird signing.
Jackson and Jett are very similar type in terms of both being penetrators and slashers. Neither of them are great outside shooters.

Hawks dont really have any great shooters.

Conerad is ok, that is about it.

Reply #695313 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If you can't shoot, you've got to run. Can't wait for this Hawks team. If this were NBA, they'd be a nightly League Pass alert

Reply #695315 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I like it!
This team is going to be RUN & GUN... with a hard nosed edged. They've got some serious defenders in the guard spots, plus TC22 & Blanchfield as knock down shooters.

In Bevo we trust : )

Reply #695318 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lack of shooters is indeed bizarre but I've learnt to never doubt Bevo.

Reply #695321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jett can play the 1 &2 at the same time ;)

Reply #695327 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

What's he been up to since Melbourne let him go? Looks like he hasn't been playing (professionally, at least).

Reply #695328 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

So that means Hawkies line up with

Jackson. Naar
Jett. White
Blanchfield. Coenraad
*Import TBC*. *Aussie (Ellis?)*
AJ. Anderson
Grida 11th man

?

Reply #695329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grida is a great shooter isn't he? He might end up seeing some ok minutes each week

Reply #695330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Love me some Cedric! Lock for fantasy NBL, trip dub threat every night.

Reply #695334 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He's been playing in the NAPB for Yakima. They just won the championship and their coach is former NBL coach Paul Woolpert.

Reply #695336 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Yeah I reckon it will look like this:

Ogilvy / Andersen
*Conklin(?) / Elis (?)
Blanchfield / Conreaad / Grida
*Jett / White
*Harris / Naar

Reply #695345 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

LOL I mean Jackson not Harris

Ogilvy / Andersen
*Conklin(?) / Elis (?)
Blanchfield / Conreaad / Grida
*Jett / White
*Jackson / Naar

Reply #695346 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

Depending on how he adjusts to the league, Naar is no slouch from the 3 point line. 42.2% over 4 years at college. Might get some good looks of post play and driving guards.

Reply #695349 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

What's the hold up with announcing Conklin?
Sooooooooooo much noise that he's going to sign, but nothing leading us towards confirmation. Can anyone elaborate?

Reply #695352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He's been playing in the NAPB for Yakima. They just won the championship and their coach is former NBL coach Paul Woolpert."

Gee whiz, sounds like a very small league. Is this SEABL type quality?

Reply #695353 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

& a pass first PG that can pass & spot in space (like Naar) will thrive with this line up. Ando & AJ are very good passers for their position let's not forget.

Reply #695355 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

I guess Naar is only ready to play limited minutes this year.

Reply #695364 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Unless the next 2 signings are bigs, Bevo may be tweaking his system with 4 perimeter guys and only 1 big.

Everything about Bevos mentality as a coach promotes run and gun, fast pace, disruptive D, yet he's always stuck with 2 post players on court and 3 guards.

I'd love to see if and how Bevo changes his system to a permanent small ball lineup, hope I'm right in assuming this may happen.

Reply #695366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Air Delay", lay off the sauce dude.

Run & Gun is how you describe kids who can't actually play.

This isn't a good pairing, any more than Trice and Holt were at Brisbane.

More and more this is looking like a team cobbled together from the bits left in the bottom of the bargain bin.

Reply #695373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Everything about Bevos mentality as a coach promotes run and gun, fast pace, disruptive D, yet he's always stuck with 2 post players on court and 3 guards."

Umm, no it doesn't, and no he hasn't.

"Bevo may be tweaking his system with 4 perimeter guys and only 1 big. "

Yes, that's Bevo's plan, to completely reinvent the game of basketball.

Reply #695375 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

Nice to see Jackson back in the league.

Reply #695380 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think this is a smart gamble on reinventing a guy who struggled last time in the NBL, but is now coming to a players' coach. But they'll need confident shooters. Jett isn't a notable three point shooter. Ellis is handy, if they bring him back. Blanchfield averaged 33% last season despite ranking 7th in the league in attempts.

Their best three point shooters by 2018 percentage:

Coenraad - re-signed
Ellis - unsigned?
Conger - gone
Forman - retired
Clarke - gone
Norton - gone
Ogilvy - re-signed

White was 26% last season.

Quite remarkable to look at their returning players. None in double figures. Doesn't even get to 20 PPG in total. It will be a decent effort to field a competitive team given their circumstances.

Ogilvy 9.5 PPG
Coenraad 6.9 PPG
White 2.8 PPG

Reply #695386 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, they are really going to struggle to put up points in the halfcourt, and are going to see a lot of zone coming their way.

Not sure that Conklin would be enough to compliment the other guys. I guess they are banking on Cedric Jackson being back in MVP form, Jett being able to score 14-16 a game, Blanchfield finally living up to the promise he showed in Townsville, and Ogilvy re-emerging from his shell. Dicey.

Reply #695389 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Really Anon? Haven't the Hawks since Bevo arrived been near the top of the league for points, 3 point attempts, and pace of play? And don't the Hawks change from a full court trap, then to a man, then to a 131 zone, sometimes every few possessions? Pretty sure you'll hear Bevo in interviews say exactly all that above.

And to roster makeup... Last season there were always 2 of Ogilvy, Kay, Delvon, Forman or Ellis on court. Yes Forman and Ellis are stretch 4s which he has traditionally had, but in the system Bevo uses Delvon for example plays the same position as say Ellis, the 5 man doesn't stay inside and the 4 stays out, they just look for different ways to play to their strengths within the flow of his offense.

If you want to get technical, it's a version of the European ball screen motion, look that up if you feel like educating yourself, once you know that, you'll know why AJ and Delvon were above the top of the key for the reversal just as much as Oscar Forman.

Reply #695397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would of been better picking up a sosa type player. Cedric is a bit one dimensional in terms of shooting.

Reply #695436 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Jackson will be interesting...hope he is in shape and ready to make an impact as at 32 years old might not have the impact he did 3 or 4 years ago.

Wonder if Corey Webster will be catching up with him?

Reply #695439 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This is a very good signing, hopefully CJ still has his foot speed and incredible ability to split the defence.

Reply #695475 | Report this post

ferdterguson  
Years ago

Who is the Hawks GM?

He/She is going with the Doc Rivers strategy of signing players that had good games against Hawks years ago.

Reply #695478 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Less about who played well against them, more like who they can buy from the bargain bin.

Reply #695480 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hawks favourite son Mat Campbell is the GM I believe.

Reply #695505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Cedric Jackson regressed that much?

Reply #695511 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If he hasn't regressed, something happened to warrant Melbourne ditching 1+ years of contract, and then he's presumably gone unsigned since. Still, I think he's worth signing in the right environment and was hoping Adelaide would give him a shot in recent years.

Reply #695513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or is it attitude-related?

Reply #695514 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MB, your last post above is correct,
your penultimate a pile of dribble.

Bevo is good at making use of what he's got, that's it.

Blanchfield/ Coeenraad, and even Grida are SF's not guards.
Especially if the Conklin rumour is true, you'll find Bevo was aiming for a rather standard line-up.
In fact, depending on who the 4's are, and how good his backup guards aren't, its entirely possible we'll see him revert to an old-style 3F rotation in parts, with Blanchfield or Coenraad bumped to the 2.

Clearly the plan was to have Rotnei or an equivalent at the 2, but as you correctly surmised, it came down to dollars (or lack thereof).

Upon further reflection, the saving grace may well be that JJ can play the 2 spot alongside Cedric. Time will tell.

If Blanchfield can extract his cranium from his anus, it could yet be a good starting line-up.

At the risk or repeating, they are clearly scraping the bargain-bin, but I hope that the Conklin rumour is not true. I'd like to see a more athletic 4 as their final import.

Reply #695521 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Anon I'm well aware that Blanch and Coneraad are more your traditional 3's, my point is that in Bevos offense, the 1,2 and 3 are all interchangeable, doesn't matter if it was Conger or White, they just make reads that suit their strengths within the motion, hence why Rhys Martin could post up at times as it's part of the system.

The 4 and 5 are also interchangeable and function the same within the motion, Forman may pick and pop whereas Delvon may always roll, but within what Bevo runs they play the same position.

So unless Bevo either signs two bigger bodies or plans to use Coneraad or Blanchfield as 4's to play similar style Forman used to, there may be a change in system was my point, and it's a system he's used since back at Perth.

Reply #695524 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Maybe Ced & Dean Demopulos didn't get along aaaiiiite

Reply #695618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aaaiiiite Mystro, good point.

Reply #695636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bevo may be tweaking his system with 4 perimeter guys and only 1 big. "

You mean like he did 9 seasons ago to win a title in Perth?

Reply #695649 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Playing his 1 in 4 out system with Ogilvy and Kay both starting and both primarily used for ball reversal into a post up or pick and roll when on the perimeter is very different than what could be 4 genuine perimeter players and one big.

Reply #695663 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:48 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754