Anonymous
Years ago

Taipans confirm Mitch Young signing

Was reported in the local paper here today that Mitch Young looks like he will fill the Taipans last Aussie spot.

Great addition to the squad that has been put together so far.

Hard nosed player who doesn't back down from any situation and will compliment the front court rotation nicely. Really happy with this signing.

Topic #43585 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's the link:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/mitch-young-set-for-return-to-cairns-taipans/news-story/3b772dc3dea800a9c412560bf3bf5538

Reply #695408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

but the same numpty also wrote THIS lmao

https://www.news.com.au/sport/lebrons-second-transfer-rules-him-out-of-contention-as-the-goat/news-story/33ed95fcf7899988b00666f90f4c54e7

Reply #695418 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Pfft, Mitch Young is crap. Another one whose existence in our league prevents us from really elevating the level of play.

Reply #695422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jordan Gerrans...... More like Jordan Errorsans......

Reply #695434 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

*Import / Kenny
*Newbill / Kernich-Drew
*Import / Kuany
Walker / Loughton / Young
Jawai / Loe

Young to spend some minutes at centre if Jawai gets injured.
Walker can also play some small forward.

Reply #695444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*Import / Kenny
*Newbill / Kernich-Drew
*Import / Walker / Kuany
Loughton / Young
Jawai / Loe

i think that's more likely

Reply #695449 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jordan Errorsans
Wouldn't that mean "without error"?

Reply #695452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

eh, Gerrans is alright. He provides decent coverage of Cairns basketball

Reply #695459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, played Isaac san.

Reply #695461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Common knowledge that Gerrans is banned from Cairns basketball so can't be that decent

Reply #695463 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

If true, I think this is a reasonable signing for Cairns.

Mitch will be affordable. Also dependable enough to throw in the mix for 10-15 minutes of hard-nosed play. He's currently having an excellent season in the QBL.

Seemed to regress a little in Brisbane, perhaps a circumstance of the roster and coach, dunno.

Reply #695465 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

I agree with Ben, really solid pickup when you look at their frontline rotation. He'll likely be the fifth option but if that's your 10th/11th man I think you're doing ok. I thought he had some great games in the second half of last season. Competing isn't an issue for him that's for sure.

Reply #695466 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Hard nosed player who doesn't back down from any situation

Except when he is being backed down by opposition forwards / centres.

Mitch hasn't really improved his game in the last 4 seasons and the last 2 has been set up for him in terms of playing opoortunity with the injury to Bairstow and Petrie's retirement. I thought he might even learn a few things from Jervis, I had hoped he would improve.

Mitch is decent provided the price is low. Should be an adequate 3rd option at the 4 behind Loughton and Walker, and again at the 5 behind Jawai and Loe.

Reply #695477 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

LoveBroker is spot on, cheap insurance for Jawai who won't play an entire season and Loughton who is nearly 40.

Reply #695479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your mum regressed in Brisbane Ben!

Reply #695481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For me
Import/Kenny
Newbill/Kernich-Drew/Kuany
Import/Walker/Kuany
Loughton/Young/Walker/Loe
Jawai/Loe/Young

Interesting to see the Taipans signed Kernich-Drew over Heuir. Like the front court versatility - questionnable whether they have the talent overall though.

Reply #695488 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Another nail in the Wooden Spoon coffin

Reply #695494 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Another nail in the Wooden Spoon coffin

When was the last time Cairns were spooners? More often than not they have out-performed at least one team that has a much more expensive roster.

Reply #695507 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Taipans finished bottom in 2000 & 2002.

Reply #695509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets for the spoon IMO.

Reply #695510 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Brisbane will win at least 4 more games than Cairns. Let's assume the imports from both teams cancel each other out, even though Cairns probably have the cheapest import budget in the league, who's local group is better

Bairstow, Jervis, Hodgson, Vukona, Terangi, Gliddon, Gibson, Caddee.

Jawai, Loe, Loughton, Young, Walker, Kuany, DKD, Kenney.

Which of those lists above would you take if they were to play without imports? Bullets would win 9 out of 10 times.

Reply #695516 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Swap out Jervis for Will Magnay.

Reply #695517 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Ah, yes true, so who's local group do you take?

Bairstow, Hodgson, Magnay, Vukona, Terangi, Gliddon, Gibson, Caddee.

Jawai, Loe, Loughton, Young, Walker, Kuany, DKD, Kenney.

Reply #695523 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Bullets comfortably.

Reply #695525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol - bag the snakes again pay the price. McCarron and Gliddon where getting bulk minutes/scoring and had pretty ordinary games for the workload. Diff coach with a specific play book with an uptempo hoop attacking focus - hawks for the spoon then bullets, 36ers. Other 5 well it's united/Kings/Perth and the rest ?

Reply #695531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to be positive about Cairns when four of their players literally wouldn't be in the league this upcoming season if Cairns didn’t sign them. Young, Kuany, DKD, and Kenny were not wanted by anybody else.

Reply #695534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But Bullets have Lemanis, Taipans don't.

Reply #695535 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I hate this. Been given ample opportunity to prove himself at NBL level and hasn't done so. At most he's good for 10 minutes and 5 good, hard fouls before he sits down again.

Reply #695555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"When was the last time Cairns were spooners? More often than not they have out-performed at least one team that has a much more expensive roster."

Yep, cos that's the measure of success. Finishing off the bottom more often that not.
SHIT is the new Black.

Reply #695575 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

You muppets bag the Snakes every preseason what's new. You never come back to say wow you didn't run last like I carried on like a tool earlier in the year!

Sad life you must lead!

Reply #695586 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Nothing sad Thunder Jam, just pointing out they have the worst roster in the league. Each year the power teams spend more $$$ Cairns fall further behind. That maybe Sad, but true.

Reply #695589 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I love Mitch Young, new aged Mark Dalton and as much as I'd love him to finish his work more efficiently around the basket... he wouldn't be the new aged Mark Dalton then would he... and Dalton was a Boomer

Great signing and always fantastic to see players like this get a job in the league

Reply #695613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis went back to Perth

Reply #695643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cairns two remaining imports can play then they will be competitive, and if Jawai stays fit on top of that they will be good. Have good size, good veterans and good defenders, now just need the cream on the top from their imports.

Reply #695648 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Confirmed... Announced this morning.

Reply #695889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Been given ample opportunity to prove himself at NBL level and hasn't done so. At most he's good for 10 minutes and 5 good, hard fouls before he sits down again.
Is there an element of truth to this? Would be great to see him take the next step, even if it's incremental.

Reply #695897 | Report this post

Tiger  
Years ago

Oh no. We don't want him. Useless.

Reply #695898 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

What do you want from the 11th man? Lebron?

Reply #695908 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Been given ample opportunity to prove himself at NBL level and hasn't done so. At most he's good for 10 minutes and 5 good, hard fouls before he sits down again.

Is there an element of truth to this? Would be great to see him take the next step, even if it's incremental.

I might have been a bit harsh there, to be fair to the guy (and this is how the Taipans were spinning it this morning) he had glandular fever for much the time he was in Brisbane and he's killing it in the QBL this season now that he's better. As was pointed out to me this morning, given both their injury records and their ad luck the chances are him and Jawai will run into each other in the their first training and both be ruled out for the season though..

It IS good to see that 11th man spot being filled by someone who's not an undersized guard at the back of the rotation competing for minutes with our most expensive players. Perhaps they're even looking at grooming him as a long term 'legacy' player to replace Loughton when he finally goes? He seemed to have an army of nannas that would get moist every time he came on the court the last time he was up here...

Reply #695917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This guy is good at missing layups under the basket. It's unbelievable how talented he is at it.

Reply #695924 | Report this post

Joeys_Right  
Years ago

Mitch Young is today's Ben Allen

Reply #695966 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Todays Ben Allen! He's bad, but not that bad! Young looks like he's working hard on court at least, gives effort.

Reply #695987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Comparing him to Ben Allen!? Pfft! Doesn't have a strong hair game like Big Ben

Reply #696035 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:50 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754