AD
Years ago

Wildcats want Ennis-Prather hybrid

Perth Wildcats head coach Trevor Gleeson and his recruiting team, which includes assistant coaches Matt Nielsen and Adam Forde, have arrived in Las Vegas for the 2018 NBA Summer League.

The goal? To snare a star import to fill the final spot on the Wildcats 2018/19 playing roster.

Gleeson revealed to The West Australian that he's after a gun small forward with strong defensive skills - which would come as no surprise to any Gleeson-era Wildcats fan.

We've done pretty well in the small forward position and it’s something we’re keen on filling again," Gleeson said.

"If we can get somewhere in between a James Ennis and a Casey Prather, we’ll be pretty happy. It’s hard to get those types of players but we’ll do the best we can."

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/perth-wildcats-chasing-the-next-james-ennis-casey-prather-ng-b88888562z

Topic #43592 | Report this topic

AD  
Years ago

Somewhat obvious, and I think most fans would drool at the prospect of such a player. Still, it seems to run contrary to previous comments about wanting more of an outside player.

An Ennis-Prather hybrid isn't necessarily going to excel at 3-point shooting.

Here's hoping they discover a cheap outside option at Summer League to replace Hire.

Reply #695646 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

My Tuesday night team could use one too. Maybe with a little sprinkle of Cotton's 3pt shooting.

Reply #695651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The article just basically says the Wildcats want a good player.

Reply #695652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have any of these coaches and GM that have been to the Summer League ever hired anyone from there?
It's just a junkette. Eyeballing what they cant afford or aren't good enough IMO.

Reply #695654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prather not returning to Wildcats

Reply #695658 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

A mix of Ennis and Prather would be on most teams wishlists.
Finding the three point shooting ability of Devondrick Walker on top of that would be incredible.

Whoever the Wildcats get they will do well based on previous track record.

Reply #695659 | Report this post

J-dogg  
Years ago

Wildcats talking to Creek at summer league....watch this space!

Reply #695665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Have any of these coaches and GM that have been to the Summer League ever hired anyone from there?
It's just a junkette"

It makes a trip to Vegas tax deductible.

Reply #695667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats won't sign Prather but will sign Devondrick Walker.

Reply #695668 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Gaze recruited Travis Leslie out of the SL last year when he was coaching him as a guest coach at the Pacers.

Mainly though they're just looking for a guy that's slipping through the cracks who doesn't have NBA interest in him or big Euro offers on the table.

Reply #695685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

An Ennis-Prather hybrid would be perfect as long as they are 99.9% Ennis and 0.1% Prather.

Reply #695687 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Yeah Prathers teams weren't very successful these last couple of years were they?

Reply #695691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats in deep talks with Walker and Landale.

Reply #695697 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

There is no room on roster for Landale.
Wouldn't mind Walker though

Reply #695701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Davon Reed and Anthony Brown are two names that have been thrown in to the mix.

Reply #695710 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Have any of these coaches and GM that have been to the Summer League ever hired anyone from there?
It's just a junkette. Eyeballing what they cant afford or aren't good enough IMO."

Whilst I doubt many go in there with no clue, I imagine it does give them an opportunity to watch prospects in the flesh, and talk to them f2f.
Several successful imports have played S/L.
There's also a couple of Aussie kids running around who would be worth a DP spot if they don't get an offer elsewhere, or may even be inline for a roster spot with some teams.

Reply #695713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah sure ok Dazz whatever you say

Reply #695718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honestly think Ennis could be a sneaky chance to return. It's extremely unlikely, but he feels like one of those journeymen type that can be in the league one minute but out of it the next for no specific reason. Apart from the top maybe 7-8 players per team it feels like the NBA can be quite a lottery for hundreds of other NBA standard guys on who makes a roster and who doesn't. I feel like with bis skill set he will find himself on a roster for the upcoming season, but tbh wouldn't be totally shocked if the he didnt get any offers and the Wildcats convinced him to return now.

Reply #695721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoping the Wildcats find someone better than Walker. Didn't strike me as a super gun player (MVP contender quality) which the Cats probably need at the 3 if only going the 2 imports.

Reply #695722 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I'd imagine Ennis is "likely" to return at some point in the future, and not even necessary to the Cats.

A player at his ability level, is going to have some games still in him, when he finally gets off the NBA carousel, and I'd imagine he'd be open to whatever opportunities might present.

Never got to see much of Walker before his injury. They seem to regrad him highly, and with his outside ability, I was hoping he was a smokie for the 3rd slot.
As per Anon above, in going for only 2 imports, and with Hire and Steindl as the only backups, the Cats are banking heavily on this SF role.
Given that lack of depth, its no coincidence that when they have signed MVPs in Ennis/Prather that they have won rings. But with DD and even JP, they didn't

Reply #695754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coach said looking for someone "younger" is a bit of insult to fans. Be honest and say looking for someone cheaper than Prather, Conger etc.. Tell like it is.

You would only want a fresh out of colleage type if you cant afford a proven player. Conger at cats and they would be serious title threat. Another JP or DD as was mentioned earlier, forget it.

Reply #696150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a bit surprised the Cats have been argaubly a little stingy the last couple of years. Really thought they'd be throwing around some cash.

Reply #696154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's why Nick Marvin bailed.

Reply #696156 | Report this post

Cats4Lyf  
Years ago

No more money for the Cats, well not like in previous years anyway. Lynx to be sold at the end of this season from all reports as Bendat is sick of pumping money into them without any results. Perth basketball to be on the decline with less of a cheque book to throw around

Reply #696157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meanwhile Marvin has a new sugar daddy in the form of Andrew Forrest.

Reply #696160 | Report this post

Waves2Lynx  
Years ago

"No more money for the Cats, well not like in previous years anyway. Lynx to be sold at the end of this season from all reports as Bendat is sick of pumping money into them without any results. Perth basketball to be on the decline with less of a cheque book to throw around"

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/jack-bendat-keen-on-helping-perth-lynx-break-wnbl-title-drought-after-extending-the-clubs-licence-ng-b88765819z

Reply #696161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Less money for Wildcats then.

Reply #696162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are the Perth Lynx are to blame for the Wildcats being 'stingy' (by their standards) over the last few years? You hear a lot about the money going into the Lynx the last couple of years, and 'coincidentally' the Cats seem to have been going the stingy route ever since.

The budget import debacle with poor fitting Johnson/Ingram pre-Cotton, not willing to axe Cooke last year despite really needing a Knight replacement, only going 2 imports this year and by all reports looking for a cheaper option still despite only going with the 2.

Reply #696163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and a cheap GM.

Reply #696166 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Wildcats have NOT been stingy by their own standards, but yes have not risen to Sydney or Melbourne levels since the new rules.

Bottom line is that they are now fully self-sustaining, Bendat nolonger props up the operations of the Mens team. So whilst they probably still generate more revenue than anyone else, it would seem they and Bendat make the choice to try and stay sustainable and not match the overspend. So they have gone from arguably the number 1 spender over the past era, to probably number 3.

Although the exact details may not be obvious, it would also appear that the super-tax and the 5-man cap do have an impact.

Existing players would already have been on good coin, they have added Kay and Norton who would not have come cheap, brought back Jervis, and signed the MVP to a 3 year deal. That's some serious money.

But I would be very disappointed if they cheap out on such an important position, with so little depth of backup.

Reply #696178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz yet again speculating yet words it as fact.

Reply #696181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"but yes have not risen to Sydney or Melbourne levels since the new rules."

So basically, they've been a bit stingy by Wildcats standards lol

They're still spending quite a bit and making good moves. It just feels like the Wildcats of a few years or so ago would have cut Cooke last year and found the right PF, would be going with 3 imports this year, or be getting a fringe NBA import SF if just going with the 2, etc. By not rising to Sydney/Melbournes level, I'd say that's a bit stingy by Wildcats standards.

Reply #696184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't say the Wildcats have been stingy at all. They just haven't gone completely loco like United and now the Kings have. I thought Cotton was on $400k per month or something.

Reply #696187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going with 2 imports you would assume they would be going for a top dollar import.
Any Ennis/Prather type would not be cheap.

I still think they will play the 3rd import card later in the season.

Reply #696203 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:38 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754