Anonymous
Years ago

Remaining Import Spots for 18/19

Any ideas who might fill last import spots?

Adelaide have two vacancies
PG and PF? or could go a SF to replace Creek.
Brisbane need a starting SF.
Cairns need a PG and SF.
Illawarra need a F. Conklin is rumoured.
Melbourne need SF, C and PG, could be wrong?
NZL need a C.
Perth need a SF, only going with 2 imports like Brisbane.
Sydney have an import spot remaining not sure if they will use it...

Topic #43605 | Report this topic

Air Delay  
Years ago

I'd like to see more teams go with just 2 imports & back their local home grown talent...

Reply #696159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with air Delaney, only because the third import has never been that good, might as well book an Aussie.

Reply #696164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I somewhat agree, I get why you think that. Although I must say the third import has really improved the playing level of the league even if they aren't as stellar as other imports.
I am really looking forward to who gets signed in the remaining spots.

Reply #696165 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

If the third import WAS marquee for all 8 teams (somehow equitably funded) then so be it, but when a lot of teams use that spot for a role playing type, I'd prefer to see 8 more Aussie vets still on a roster or 8 more Aussie young guns getting a crack.

Kinda sad that guys like Bragg, Heiur, Ellis etc. are going to be lost to our league for this season : (

Reply #696169 | Report this post

Indefatigible  
Years ago

Surely Taipans need another centre?
Heard none of the scuttle before Kelley left for the States so no idea what's on the official shopping list, but is anyone seriously imagining a full season from Nate?

Reply #696173 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Loe & Young sport!

Reply #696175 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Waxy too if anything they might be a bit too top heavy.

Reply #696176 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Even Loughton could play a bit of 5.

Reply #696185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder when teams will go for 3 top shelf imports at the expense of a top local. So far the 3rd spot has really been a role player type.

Reply #696188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean, Melbourne had three top class imports last year

Reply #696191 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

And look who won, money talks. United could even afford a 4th import as a replacement who was out of the price range for other teams.

Reply #696197 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

I understand why Melbourne is waiting with regards to their PG and SF positions, considering Carrick and Casper are hoping to get onto an NBA roster.

But I'm surprised they haven't signed up Boone.

Reply #696233 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I thought it seemed likely Boone wasn't coming back when they signed Pledger and elevated Smith-Milner to the roster.

Reply #696239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron was signed, surely he is not going to play behind an import.
Ware Hooley
Goulding McCarron
McCarron Moller
Moller Trist
Boone Pledger
Smith-Milner
Maybe import 4 but don't think Moller or Trist would be to happy with limited minutes. If Prather comes back does McCarron go to bench, no sense there.

Reply #696242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is the max roster size 12 contracted players? (incl. at least 1 DP)

Could Perth still sign 3 imports and not suit someone (ie. Hire) up each game?

Reply #696266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are Perth just leaving the third spot open in case they need someone for the second half of the season?

Reply #696274 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Kings only have 1 import. Who's the second?

Reply #696297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wear & Randle

Reply #696310 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Could Perth still sign 3 imports and not suit someone (ie. Hire) up each game?"

No.
Years back teams had a 12 player roster, and only suited 10.
Now it is an 11 player roster, and all suited, plus teams can suit DP's to make it up to 12.
Various rules around nominating DPs as (short-term) injury replacements, but the bottom line is only 11 players on the regular roster.

Reply #696331 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

The issue would appear to be the 5-man cap (and role/minutes)
That means that with a team like Perth, where you already have a solid local core (Martin, Norton, Wagstaff, Kay, Brandt, Jervis) even if your 3rd import was happy to be a 7~8th man off the bench, the cap is going to limit your budget.

Reply #696333 | Report this post

Indefatigible  
Years ago

I'm having a trident probe here!
1. Taipans need another centre.
Mitch Young, at 6'9, is only a maybe centre in QBL.
Loughton at 6'10 is the oldest beanpole in the garden. The way he has held up the last 2 seasons, from Marlins to Taipans, is quite extraordinary. All the more reason to believe he can't keep doing it.
Ruby Wax isn't a problem, but like the two mentioned above, he's a forward, and like the others, not dynamic enough physically to be rated 'power forward'.
No anchor centres in this group.
All GREAT players, but 'rapidly maturing' or outclassed.
Zodiac and ThunderJam: I think you're just plain wrong.
Knock out Nate and the stress in the front court will be crystal-clear.
2. Imports don't block local talent.
From a player perspective you've known since you were 16 that if you've weren't already a 6'5 point guard in an excellent elite programme, or 6'8 and growing rapidly,
basketball might not be the only or best option. If there is nothing extraordinary about you I'm truly sorry, but there aren't any social justice warriors out there who have yet thought the way to compel people to pay to watch you (underperform). Bell-Curve still rules here [as it should everywhere].
So, much as I love Damo H, admire and respect the hell out of him, he's had a couple of contracts DESPITE the odds. More power to him; may he dwell glowingly on this in the nursing home.
Meantime Cairns have A.Fish as a dev player, in all respects interchangeable with Damo, but effectively 'no charge'. He's self-funding his sale price at some future talent
auction, fully aware of what has happened to his mate Damo, but heedless of the probabilities. Taipans would be nuts to not exploit him.
Ditto round the League.
[Mr. Gerrans knows this already. That's what makes him such a sarky b to be writing about Heuir the way he did last week, from the full professional jouno platform.]
3. Which of course leads to how many imports is too many.
Well, the number is probably not that important. But what clubs are allowed to pay for them is.
The Bell Curve puts Scottie Wilbekin in Europe (Turkey), not USA or Oz.
If 8 teams in Oz could find 11 imports for less than the cost of local equivalents would punters care? Not sure they would fret too much if their team was competitive, and until we started to slip in international ranking.
Given the Club player payment equalisation scheme was dead without ever taking breath, I'd love to see every club restricted to spending no more than $375k on imports.
Still gives Scottie a chance to launch.
Still gives Andrew Fisher a chance as 11th man somewhere.
Still gives Cairns a chance to be in the League in 2020.
Still gives Oz a tested talent pool to draw on for international comp.

Reply #696398 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

From a player perspective you've known since you were 16 that if you've weren't already a 6'5 point guard in an excellent elite programme, or 6'8 and growing rapidly,
basketball might not be the only or best option.
How many 6'5" point guards are there in the NBL? Never mind under-18s...

The Bell Curve puts Scottie Wilbekin in Europe (Turkey)
Tel Aviv is in neither of those locations.

Given the Club player payment equalisation scheme was dead without ever taking breath
[citation needed]

I'd love to see every club restricted to spending no more than $375k on imports.
At a guess, most teams have at least one import on more than that already. You're asking them to spend less than a third of the salary cap on imports. That's absurd.

Andrew Fisher
Who?

Still gives Cairns a chance to be in the League in 2020.
How does it change anything? The Melbournes and Sydneys suddenly have a couple of million dollars in salary they can throw at local players, which means most of the locals that are any good will be at the bigger teams earning way over what their current market value is (which the Taipans are already struggling to match). And Cairns can only spend $375k on their trip overseas to try and bridge that gap, which gets you nothing. Plus they have to meet the salary floor, so now Heuir and Fisher are in the league earning six-figure salaries because they have to spend the money on something and all the good players are elsewhere.

Reply #696407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would not be surprised if Boone ended up at breakers with the new ownership knowing how good he is. Not certain Melbourne going to break the budget or would've signed Bogut.

Reply #696423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem I have with cairns is picking kernich-drew over heuir

Reply #696441 | Report this post

Indefatigible  
Years ago

I like your last paragraph Koberulz, and had considered some of those same ideas before putting my 2-bob's worth out there.
My ambition is to see the best teams of locals that money can buy, and if future Oz talent enters that market by starting with poverty-pack teams like Taipans, that’s a positive.
Still works for the untried imports too(even if they do end up in Tel Aviv!).
Thanks.

Reply #696446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Our locals are getting better. Imports are important but reckon locals should always get preference.

Reply #696858 | Report this post

Zig  
Years ago

The idea behind the new rules was that teams would choose between upto 3 imports OR upto 3 extra local Marquee players.
But that only works if teams are using marquee provisions to lower their tax payments. Otherwise it seems some teams will still sign top-notch locals (who might otherwise be Marquess) and still use imports.

On the one hand I think that we did fine for many years with only 2 imports, including in a much large league where local talent was spread even thinner.
Issue is now, with no effective salary cap, that some teams are able to go nuts sucking up local talent. Once the local cupboard is bare, imports represent the only chance other teams have to catch.

I actually liked the concept as proposed, but it is clearly not working as I hoped it might. Sydney has repeatedly spent overs on locals, and still signed imports.

Reply #696889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if Boone doesn't return why not Jordan hill, he has been playing in American league not the Nba.

Reply #696901 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:47 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754