Anonymous
Years ago

Conger: Interest from NBL teams not like I'd hoped

In an interview with Tommy Greer at NBA Summer League, Conger said that things weren't moving as he'd hoped with regards to a NBL deal. He sounded keen on returning but it sounded like the interest wasn't mutual from teams around the league.

Somewhat surprising - do teams think that he is overrated? The example of the guy putting up big numbers on a non-playoff team? Or did he price himself out the of market?

I would've thought Illawarra would've liked to have him back or even a Cairns.

Topic #43616 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good scorer, reasonable defender but needs a lot of ball which starves the rest of the team. I think there's a reason that both Illawarra imports aren’t returning.

Reply #696516 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Probably priced himself out of the market. Which is fair enough from both sides.

Reply #696518 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Soon after the season finished he wanted big money to return to the NBL which probably scared off most teams. After all he did put up numbers on a crap team last season. Now that he's probably accepted he's not going to get an NBA deal from the Celtics he's looking around again.

Reply #696519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Asked the Hawks for 400K. As good as he was last season, that's nowhere near what he’s worth. Definitely priced himself out of the league.

Reply #696524 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Perth would be one option and he would be familiar with Kay and Norton.

He wouldn't get as much ball in Perth though as most plays run through Bryce Cotton and of course who knows how much he is asking for.

Reply #696525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough that he jacked up his asking price after finishing runner-up MVP. I guess now that the market has had its say, maybe it's time to reduce that number back down. Of course, it seemed like he put up decent numbers in the Spanish league so maybe he can get that money over there?

Reply #696526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

250 and a land rover

Reply #696529 | Report this post

Fryz  
Years ago

He was an awful team defender. Bevo hid him up the top of that switching junky zone. Take a look back at any Hawks game and you'll see it. His big block highlights made up for it.

Reply #696531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

news conger could go to Melbourne united

Reply #696534 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

With Prather injured Conger was easily the standout SF in the league.
With the current trends around the league, he presumably expected to be highly sought by a number of teams...

It's even possible that was his approach from the beginning: Accept a relatively low contract for one year with the Hawks, to come in an demonstrate what he can do in the NBL, then go looking for a long-term premium deal.
I's also possible he saw what Melbourne offered Prather and priced himself accordingly.

Problem is that there are only 2 or 3 teams with that kind of money, and Sydney had already gone down a different path. That leaves United, who are probably choosing between Prather and Felix. Plus I would have thought Perth, but recent rumours suggest they have shot their load and are looking to spend less on this role.

I'm sure the other teams would have loved to have him, but presumably not at the price he was asking.

Reply #696552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dean Vickerman was chatting to Conger's agent today. Interesting.

Reply #696595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many threes can United have, McCarron, Moller, unless Moller plays four. Who comes off the bench McCarron or Conger, not certain Conger defence is good enough for vickerman.

Reply #696598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McCarron is a 2 every day that was forced up to 3 last year.

Reply #696627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If McCarron is a two, does the captain Goulding start on the bench. Lol.

Reply #696656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Off topic, but:

Not that I know, but McCarron is listed at 1.89m. Not sure how many who play the '3' are that short?

Surely his size is better suited to the 1 or 2?

Reply #696663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It probably is but I can't see him playing behind Goulding or Ware or which ever import point guard they brought in.

Reply #696665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive loss if Conger doesn't re sign

Reply #696693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way is he over rated. Doubt teams think that. Maybe $$$

Reply #696708 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:57 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754