Anonymous
Years ago

2018 NBA Academy & BA Prospects Camp

Starts this Wednesday in Canberra.

Players from seven NBA academies around the world and 50 of Australia's top prospects will meet in the second NBA Academy Games and Basketball Australia Prospects Camp in Australia, which for the first time will be attended by NBA team personnel and college coaches.

The NBA will announce a series of exhibition games -- featuring prospects from academies in Australia, China, India, Mexico and Senegal along with five local teams comprised of 50 top Australian prospects -- to take place July 15-21 at the NBA Global Academy in Canberra, Australia. NBA Academy coaches will also be running prospects through on- and off-the-court activities, focusing on basketball and life skills plus health and wellness.

ESPN link:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23938607/nba-academy-host-international-basketball-prospects-australia-camp

Topic #43619 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

It says July 15-21 which means it started yesterday- anyone have any idea of who the 50 players chosen are?

Reply #696662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It Starts Wednesday the 18th, should be a world class event. Well done NBA/BA.

Reply #696674 | Report this post

Sandro  
Years ago

Teams competing:
• NBA Academy China
• NBA Academy India
• NBA Academy Africa
• NBA Academy Latin America
• NBA Global Academy
• Basketball Australia Prospects Team A
• Basketball Australia Prospects Team B
• Basketball Australia Prospects Team C
• Basketball Australia Prospects Team D
• Basketball Australia Prospects Team E
Will be an absolutely amazing event showcasing plenty of young talent. Athletes selected from 2000, 2001, 2002 born.

Reply #696680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally awesome. Great when a sport showcases young talent.

Reply #696691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a fantastic opportunity for these kids, how I wish these types of events were around when I was a junior. There was plenty of talent that left because of limited opportunities.

Reply #696695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marty Clarke heading up the NBA academies. Great to see him back in the country.

Reply #696711 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

I have a player I coached who was advised he was invited to this camp only to be told a few weeks later he was not going.

Then I hear from another player I coached as well is invited.

I would like to see a list of who the players are that are going because my first player is a far better and dar more skilled than my second player who is going.

I would get interested to know who the selection persons were.

Reply #696751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^
I wrote this (below) for another post.

I think you need to educate yourself on the BA & State Talent pathways and talk to your local association as well. Also the process to get a US college Scholarship so you can inform the players you coach.

They don't pick names out of a hat!

---------------------------------------------------------------------
For what it is worth, some of you need to understand how the BA Talent pathway works. There are not many kisd who don;t get Talent ID'd.

The Coaching Director in each State/territory (Metro & Country), gets asked each year to identify their best prospects. To that end they contact the various Associations to nominate their best players.

They then hold talent ID/Selection camps to participate in NITP/NPP programs/camps.

From my understanding the Country kids have it tougher than the Metro kids as they do intensive weekend type camps as opposed to regular weekly intensive training sessions.

Then there is the the BA Centre of Excellence. Again BA contact Coaching Directors of each State/Territory and names get put forward. Selectors will attend National Championships and other tournaments checking on the talent, potential (horrible word that), skills abilites, attributes, demeanor, attitude, etc of the players identified.

Then an offer of a scholarship is made. Like any selection process (Rep, State, National) they don't always get it right and there are always differences of opinion. Unfortunately that is life.

However, don't be disheartened - as an example Kyle Adnam never made a Sate Junior Team, but is playing in the NBL and went to a recent NBA workout.

Got to admire his persistence and love of the game.

So, encourage your kids to enjoy the game, work hard and persist and if you are good enough you just might make it. Like life sometimes it also helps to be in the right place at the right time.

Reply #696897 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Apparently the selection criteria is that you are still at school.

Reply #696961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic players invited:

Kobe Williamson
William Tattersal
Oliver Hayes Brown
Zac Taylor
Jashua Gatbel-Kunen
Josh Giddey
Paul Tsapatolis
Jay Rantall

Reply #697007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Camp program

https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/86/2018/07/External-Schedule.pdf

Reply #697145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

50 prospects invited:
VIC
Kobe Williamson
William Tattersal
Oliver Hayes Brown
Zac Taylor
Jashua Gatbel-Kunen
Josh Giddey
Paul Tsapatolis
Jay Rantall

Assuming COE guys & NBA academy guys invited as well
Ducas
Lee
Froling
Dalton
Travers
Swaka Lo Buluk
Krause
Goodrick
Bowen
Clarke
Armstrong
Cranston-Lown
Foster
Waters
Bayles
Garang
Wigness

Along with:
Frazer Roberts- reported on Bullets site
ACT guys Alex Archer and Harry Matthews

Just an interested hoops addict making a list of our elite juniors invited to these kind of events!

Reply #697147 | Report this post

Sand-groper  
Years ago

WA invites

Kyle Bowen
Luke Jackson
Lachlan Forrest
Luke Travers
Alex Ducas
Kane Waters
Wani Swaka Lo Buluk

Reply #697160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be a fantastic standard of competition. U/20 Nationals will be decent next February if players make themselves available.

Reply #697163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South Australia Players invited.
Hayden Meakes
Magok Manyang
Sebastian Bald
Anyang Garang
Jarryd Hoppo
Ben Griscti

Reply #697234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know if boxscores are available for the games ?

Reply #697307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is there are 35+ NCAA Colleges in attendance!

Reply #697394 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:09 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754