Aussie
Years ago

Tasmania NBL hopefuls to be Southern Huskies

Thoughts?

Topic #43629 | Report this topic

Felicity  
Years ago

Why cant they just be called Tasmania United?

Reply #696907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good name reflecting the Southern Island. Tasmania.
Go HUSKIES!

Reply #696908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a sh!t name hahahahahhaahha.

Reply #696909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

University of Southern Maine says how about something original.

http://southernmainehuskies.com/landing/index

Reply #696912 | Report this post

You're from Hobart. Use the name Hobart in there

Reply #696913 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

University of Southern Maine says how about something original.

More like UConn says that to Southern Maine.

Southern Huskies logo is nothing like the above two.
Personally I like it.

Reply #696918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We The South.

That explains the reference in a couple of media articles the Tasmanian bid believing the could be the Toronto Raptors of the NBL.

Reply #696919 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Beyond Stupid

Is this because they couldn't buy the trademark or URL for anything better?

And Talk about not understanding your target audience!! It has already created confusion, with many Tasmanians believing it implies a reference to the southern part of the state.

Reply #696920 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

And what's with this "We The South" crappola??
I appreciate that slogans need to be somewhat original, but they need to tap into an existing cultural reference. So slogans for Perth teams, referencing "The West" work, because that is how we see and refer to WA.

I've never heard of Tasmania being referred to as "The South." Yes, its technically true, but is it something Tasmanians already buy into?

As for "Huskies," again not something ever associated with Tasmania. Only Australian territory ever associated with Huskies was Antarctica, and they got rid of them because they were killing penguins.

End of the day, at some level, a name is just a name. "Wildcats" started out simply as am alliteration. The only actual wild-cats in Australia, are (yes) feral cats that we're trying to eradicate. Huskies is probably no worse than any other.

But I still find the "Southern" thing a bit odd.

Reply #696922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very Weird.
People living in the North of Tasmanian, think of themselves as being in "The North" not "The South"
Reinforces the idea that this is a Hobart focused team.

Reply #696923 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

This makes absolutely no sense, I hope it's a joke.

"We the South"? Shit the bed more like it.

Reply #696924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Awful name and slogan. Wow, the worst start ever.

Reply #696927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Personally I like it.

Well, you've always been a weirdo so I'm not surprised.

Reply #696929 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Dog shit.

Reply #696930 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well, you've always been a weirdo so I'm not surprised.

Fair call.

As for "Huskies," again not something ever associated with Tasmania.

Whereas Perth are of course renowned for our feral felines, and Brissy notorious for all the bullets.

Reply #696931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a bunch of haters who in a couple of years will start saying the name has grown on them #losers

Reply #696933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie Double Headers

Reply #696936 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Huskies are actually very popular in Tasmania, and the expeditions to Antarctica were launched in Tasmania, and there are statues across Tasmania commemorating them. They may not be native to Tasmania but it's hardly like picking a comnpletely random animal and just running with it. And I think people might be overthinking "we the south" a bit. I am sure relative to the rest of the continent they consider themselves "the south". And even if they don't think of themselves that way, whose to say they can't?

I have no problem with the name. And the logo looks more modern and professional than most of our league.

Reply #696938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmanian Devils. Slight changes to the (half decent already) logo. Done.

Reply #696940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So they just ripped off Toronto's slogan. lmao, be original. So sloppy and lazy.

Reply #696941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern, at a stretch, maybe. But Huskies??? When you think of huskies it brings to mind dog sleds, blizzards, Alaska,dog owners in Burnside, not freaking Tasmania. With a small sample size just on this forum it's shown it's an extremely bad choice. Devils, tigers, islanders are things you can associate with tassie, hell, why not the old map of tassie and call them the pubes.

Reply #696943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We The South could work for the 36ers. Poor for Tasmania

Reply #696944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It truly is shocking. Is this representative of how amateurish these people will be?

Reply #696945 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Whereas Perth are of course renowned for our feral felines, and Brissy notorious for all the bullets."
Twat!

As I said:
"End of the day, at some level, a name is just a name. "Wildcats" started out simply as am alliteration. The only actual wild-cats in Australia, are (yes) feral cats that we're trying to eradicate. Huskies is probably no worse than any other."

The irony of course is that Tasmania is in the enviable position of having a unique, indigenous, world-known, ferocious mammal. Which just happens to carry the name of the state.
Maybe its a trademark issue? But why not simply call them the "Tasmanian Devils." Mascot sorts itself too.

But as I said, Huskies is no worse than any other.
But "Southern"?
It's still not clear, Southern WHAT?

It would be bad enough if there wasn't already an entire state called "South Australia."
Sure, Tasmanian is further south, but the time to have that argument was 150 years ago.
In all seriousness, one automatically assumes this team is from SA, or maybe a local team entered in the State League.

End of the day, the majority of people willing to support the team will do so regardless, even if you called it the arse-enders, but why start out with a handicap?

Say what you will about the Westate Wildcats, nobody could be confused about where they were from, or who they represented.

Reply #696946 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Wow the hate on here is a bit sad. You would think those big markets like Sydney and Melbourne would have everything in place for at least 2 teams playing out of each- nope . Melb still havent identified a second stadium znd Sydney need Bogut to give it sustainability

Im not sure what to think of the name yet, but as a Tasmanian yep we are south (all of the state) and Huskies do have a connection. Does not immediately evoke passion but if it is a team playing out of here it will.

Havent seen to many Kings wandering round Sydney

Reply #696951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD still posting his inane stupidity.
This group is so far ahead of the pack that its not funny.
They have mad a decision and run with it.
The billionaire who has bought a licence has bought a licence for fuck knows where.
No pre planning can be done and it will all be a rush.
Hopefully this group will get to own the DEC and then wait and see what transpires from there.
A competitive side from the outset with an expected budget of at least $5mill.
Revenue streams from other areas on that site and for those that said a "field of dreams" another idiot. They want to spend $90mill on that site. So keep on believing your own crud, but please don't post it here.
A very positive time ahead for Tasmania and with games to be played across the state Tasmania is already behind it.
BA and TAS included. The government and even the Mercury.
Bring it on. Go the Huskies!!!

Reply #696952 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The reaction reminds me of when the South Dragons named was announced, a lot of people thought that was terrible but it quickly grew. There will always be those that don't like something new. The test of the name won't be instant social media reaction, but how well it works in the long term.

Reply #696956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SOUTH DRAGONS it is then, great idea, great name!

Just like the Tasmanian Tiger, they no longer exist, or do they?????

Reply #696958 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

So maybe they should have gone with #WETHEISLAND

I'm not sold on the whole Southern Huskies thing would have preferred Tasmania or Tasmanian in the name if the didn't want to associate with Hobart specifically.

Reply #696959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would've gone with Tasmania, but Southern Huskies sounds good to me.

Reply #696960 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not the name I would've chosen, but wasn't aware of the huskies connection - thanks ME. And the logo is at least professional.

Probably fair to assume that almost any historical NBL brand announced today would cop some criticism. "A 36er?! What's the mascot going to be, a calendar?!" "We don't have wildcats in Australia!" "Dragons!!!11?" "Breakers? Oooh, I'm real scared." "There are no tigers in Australia." "I think Bullets sends a negative message to the community."

Must've been a good reason they skipped Devils though?

Reply #696963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any geography teachers here who can someone tell me what the southern most state of Australia is?

Reply #696964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shame that those that criticise the Husky word have no knowledge of how important the Huskies were and still are to the exploration of Antartica that all stems from Hobart. The connection goes back a very long time and continues to this day.

http://monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/people/science/display/70392-louis-bernacchi

https://www.themercury.com.au/news/tasmania/hero-huskies-on-the-map/news-story/e157b5882dbbab077975bae158b6ead0

https://hobartobserver.com.au/?p=2541

Reply #696965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure about the name but I love the logo.

Reply #696968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Must've been a good reason they skipped Devils though?"

I'm guessing just wanting to separate themselves from the previous team.
I think that is fair enough and actually the signal it sends to me is that the ownership group has a lot of pride and confidence in this venture.

Reply #696975 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

If this is where they want to go, I love it, Go Huskies I say...

Reply #696976 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I dont think the actual name of the team matters as much as the culture and team that will be associated with it. What a "southern husky" is and what it means will only be known in 18 months time. And let's face it, almost no one would have chosen the name 36ers for Adelaide, yet today absolutely none of us would change it.

Reply #696991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I, with all the weight of anonymity, will say I like it. And while I understand the appeal of "Tassie devils," I would never hear that phrase and automatically think basketball, because it's exactly the same as the actual animal.

Island might make more sense than south, but if they'd gone with that, would NZ be complaining that they're an island, too?

Reply #696997 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Should have gone with Devils.

Southern Huskies sounds very collegiet, the logo looks like a college team too.

With that said, it's fine, the name, logo and slogan are more than decent. the logo looks professional and sleek.

It's a good step in the Tasmanian bid IMO.

Reply #696998 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I will say the logo and colors look better than Cairns, who continue to persist with that hideous orange.

Reply #697002 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Cairns just need to go to a slightly darker tone of orange, similar to what the NT State teams often use, then they will be fine IMHO, not so bright orange, rather an earthy orange tone perhaps...

Not that I am a fashion guru or anything, but I think orange is fine if it isn't too orange :)

Reply #697004 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Bear eye for the straight guy

Reply #697005 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I like it. I don't know what people are getting upset about.
Just remember, there are no Raptors in Toronto(none that I know of anyway) and I'm yet to see an Eagle outside of a Zoo in Perth.

Reply #697008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrible name! Plenty of better local
Names surely!!

Reply #697009 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

At first glance the logo looked like a husky with its two paws out to the side, not 3 huskies. Makes a different impression, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Reply #697010 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Since the Devils were last in the NBL a VFL side competed by the same name, it's possible that AFL Tas own the rights to it.

Reply #697013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

> At first glance the logo looked like a husky with its two paws out to the side, not 3 huskies. Makes a different impression, not that there's anything wrong with that.

hahaha my thoughts exactly. It looks FABULOUS!

Reply #697014 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Since the Devils were last in the NBL a VFL side competed by the same name, it's possible that AFL Tas own the rights to it.
Isn't there a 3x3 team of the same name as well?

If they want to capture all of Tasmania, not just Hobart, staying away from the Devils name makes sense.

Reply #697018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You all don't get it. It's not Huskies per say as much as the vauge "Southern". No brainer to call the team Tasmania whatevers.

Reply #697021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have called them the Map of Tassie VD's, in honour of Anthony Van Diemen.

Reply #697022 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Surely it's The Southern Super Salmon!

Reply #697033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mebbe they shoulda gone with The Southern Joe's

Reply #697034 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

The South Remembers.

Reply #697035 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Mmmmm

What happens when the NBL expands to include the Australian Antarctic Territory?

I like Huskies though. Great dogs. Great name.

What about the Tasman Abels, or Abel Tasmans?

Reply #697036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Abel Tasmans would've been an awesome out-of-the-box name. But NBL isn't progressive enough to have anything like that sadly.

For references to the NBL online community the Southern Joes gets a solid LOL.

Reply #697040 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Abel Tasmans could compete in wheelchair ball.

Or the diversity/ inclusive champs.

Not trolling. I have a history in coaching/ managing inclusive sports, including basketball.

Reply #697044 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

UseTaHoop - Australian Antarctic Emperor Penguins

Reply #697051 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

There is only a loose connection to Huskies in Tasmania. Have to go with something more relevant. It is like with the cricket. Never been a hurricane in Tasmania but the Big Bash team is the Hurricanes.

Has to be Devils or Tigers (doesn't matter if the shield cricket team is already this) or even convicts (Port Arthur)

And don't call them Southern. It should be Hobart or Tasmania and the nickname. After 20 years or whatever I still don't know what country half the Rugby Super League teams are from because they do not have their location in the name.

Reply #697054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there Huskies in Tasmania? I would have thought the Tassie Devils or Tigers would be a better fit.

Reply #697055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie Devils = Failed Prior NBL Franchise. Former VFL Aussie Rules side.
Tassie Tigers = Existing identity of the Tasmanian Cricket side

Nothing unique about either identity. Both could easily be confused with other sports and other codes. They needed a unique identity, so it's a smart move. Won't confuse the Huskies with another other sport or code.

Reply #697056 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Better than United which is a soccer name.
Will be interesting to see who they sign as next years free agents list appears uninspiring.

Reply #697057 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

"Huskies?" - no. Identity matters to me in a team and this is grounded in the local people and local history. "Huskies" is clearly derived from the US. IMO adopting it indicates a lack of cultural confidence.

Reply #697058 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

Can't those overpayed "image consultants" work this out?

Giving this project about 2 minutes of thinking - let's leave aside the whole wild life thing.

Could go with something denoting the climate (the "Sou-Westers") or Tassie's maritime connections (the "steamers").

Reply #697059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would've like Tasmania in the title, happy to go with southern huskies though. It’s there money so it’s there choice.

Hopefully the government will stop funding two afl teams and let North and Hawthorn stand on their own feet.

Reply #697060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie Icemen

Reply #697062 | Report this post

Felicity  
Years ago

Other suggestions considered apparently:

The Tasmania Bicephalics,
The Tassie Cousins,
The Tas Jazz,
The Island Staters,
The Tasmania Cascades,
The Tassy Brewers.

Reply #697063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie Growlers

Reply #697064 | Report this post

Red84  
Years ago

The Bicephalics - catches my eye. It would be a challenge for marketing me thinks.

The Brewers - of course! I can see that, particularly if a beer company sponsors.

Tassie Growlers is really good, sponsors or not.

Reply #697065 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

The Tassie Steamers. I love it.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The%20Cleveland%20Steamer

Reply #697069 | Report this post

Big Fish  
Years ago

I think they are trying to start fresh and not revive the devils from the dead. But its interesting they have gone with purple, the same colour as the BBL hurricanes.

Not a huge fan of the design and name, but I think it will work well. The response today from this board reminds me of how almost everyone (myself included) thought the launch of the big bash league, with new teams nicknames, crazy colours was never going to work.....

Reply #697072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Purple... we already have the Kings.

Reply #697073 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

"Huskies?" - no. Identity matters to me in a team and this is grounded in the local people and local history. "Huskies" is clearly derived from the US. IMO adopting it indicates a lack of cultural confidence.

There are no Wildcats in Perth.

There are no Kings in Sydney.

Bullets, Hawks, Taipans are ubiquitous throughout Australia

Breakers are ubiquitous throughout coastal New Zealand.

The only 2 unique names left are United and 36'ers.

United is unique because it is the worst name ever for a basketball team.

Leaving 36'ers with the only team with strong cultural connections to Adelaide (for 1936).

Reply #697074 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"You all don't get it. It's not Huskies per say as much as the vauge "Southern". No brainer to call the team Tasmania whatevers."

Correct.
I think there were better names than "Huskies" but its far from the worst name in the league.
I'm sure most people would be aware that we used to use Huskies in Antarctica, and that most Antarctic expeditions departed from Hobart.
So what? Is this a Hobart team? It's still not clear.

So why not simply the "Tasmanian Huskies"?

"South Dragons"? Yeah, great example. A team meant to represent the Southern suburbs of Melbourne, who would a thunk it.

Reply #697075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*facepalm*

Reply #697076 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Colors (and brand) have not been released, but it would not be 'royal' purple

Reply #697077 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #697080 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Leaving 36'ers with the only team with strong cultural connections to Adelaide (for 1936).

1836 actually when government was first established in SA which is why we celebrate Proclamation Day not Boxing Day.

Reply #697081 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Adelaide are the only team whose name truly has something to do with where they're from, and have easily the worst name in the entire league.

Regarding the suggestions this team be called the Tigers, even after the rebrand to United I still don't think an NBL team using the "Tigers" nickname would be the best of ideas.

Reply #697082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It doesn't matter if previous team names mean nothing. Six, seven or whatever wrongs do not make a right. NBL is more professional now so let's have a new standard for everything including branding and team names.

Reply #697085 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Colors (and brand) have not been released, but it would not be 'royal' purple

Reply #697087 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Given the rivalries in Tassie re: the other cities vs Hobart if wanting to be truly inclusive of the whole state it would've been mad to call the team Hobart or Tassie Devils again.

Reply #697089 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The marketing behind this has been pretty incredible, they're developing news story after news story - not a bad move to get momentum.

Timing is everything though. It can't just "die" and then a year later they win a license - momentum wouldnt be there anymore which would affect memberships etc.

Ideal scenario is the ground swell culminates in being awarded a license in 3-4 weeks time, followed by using the Chargers to advertise for the NBL team throughout the season.

Reply #697090 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

When you see the "out from the cold" page KR posted it all starts to fit together and looks like ( small sample size admittedly) the start of a well thought through process.

Reply #697091 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Wasn't aware of the Tasmania/Huskies link before. Like it more now.

Reply #697092 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Agree and specifically how they have linked the colours, name and location together.

dont believe any other team has even attempted to do this. Well done and now waiting for more to come.

Reply #697093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expect more announcements this week. Chargers (men) play THunder this Friday and the Women play the Torns in the 6pm game.
Expect big things (Husky wise) at the last SEABL game of the season with all teams in finals contention.

Reply #697101 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wasn't the last home game supposed to be the brand unveiling? Was today's news just them getting out in front of a leak?

Reply #697103 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

At first I thought this was a bit of an April fools type joke as surely you should have a public vote with several names such as Clippers (think Sydney to Hobart yacht race) amongst many others and if Huskies won out then great.

Kinda disappointed they couldn't have anything regarding Port Arthur as that would be cool and strong (not referring to Martin Bryant at all but how Port Arthur was the toughest penal colony in the whole country and how Tasmanians not only survived but thrived) so it's a bit of a shame they can't have convict arrows down the side of their uniform.
Before anyone kicks up a stink about that idea, I seen a slogan on Facebook the other day that said "I was planning a trip to Australia. I was asked if I had a criminal record... I replied, "I wasn't aware that I still needed one".

If they could have used that type of lighthearted humour without making it a joke and showed the strength regardless of the atrocities that they faced in there then that sounds like a team you could get behind.

Yeah really really not liking South in the name and I understand the Antarctic theme which is cool but will they do any packages or merchandising with Antarctica and the stations down there because if not then should have gone with Tasmania...

Kinda sad that Taz or his likeness couldn't be a mascot for this team but huskies work in packs and they have 3 on their logo so 3 mascots could work fine to get around to the kids more (something I think Perth should do more in helping Wilbur by getting the Lynx mascot too to walk around and engage with the crowd).

Reply #697125 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

More to my last point about mascots, an example of having multiple mascots was/is Illawarra with Toma and Mo and how they were both easily identifiable as being different and the kids loved them.

I've never been a mascot but I think a personable, fun, athletic and charismatic mascot is worth their weight in gold so why not two and maybe the mascots could allude to one being from North Tasmania and one from South Tasmania so you can help make everyone feel like they are being represented (the third could be Central)

Reply #697126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha.
Central Tasmania. Just shows how little people know about Tasmania.

Koberulz, the press that we are talking about now WAS a leak.

Reply #697130 | Report this post

Anon101  
Years ago

New article in the Mercury regarding the branding. Unfortunately it's behind a paywall.

Reply #697134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Central Tassie would be a great location - surely there's a vacant sheep shed somewhere along the National Highway that could seat a good 200-300 fans.

Reply #697137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The opinion of the cockwomble above are like arseholes. Everyone has one but they don't air them on a forum.
Friday nights game is a local derby with all the Tassie SEABL sides competing. Finals on the line for every team.
Every chance there will be a SEABL crowd record created as well.

let's hope this consortium gets control of the DEC and shuts the naysayers up. Of course that will never be the case.

Reply #697144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^

Was more making fun of a "Central Tassie" team than Tasmania itself. There is no "Central" Tassie, hence why I think they went with an ambiguous name that might help (maybe) unite the Launceston/Hobart people under one banner. Not sure most people appreciate the relative distance between Hobart and Launceston, both geographically and demographically.

Reply #697158 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Good to see a legit bid getting pushed for Tassie.

I dont love the "Southern" name, though I can see the logic. I still think using Tasmania would have been the best way forward. Huskies is a decent enough name, and while the link to Tas is marginal, it is light years ahead of the majority of Aussie sports team names.

Also, on the note of "worst names in Australian basketball" I feel like people often overlook "Sydney Spirit". While I detest United, the Spirit still take the cake for the worst named team in Aus Hoops. United is a close second though.

Reply #697161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From The Mercury. Pretty clear to me and well explained.

TASMANIA'S historical link with Antarctica and the expedition of Douglas Mawson was the inspiration behind the name of the Tasmanian side bidding to join the NBL.

Bankroller Justin Hickey has told the Mercury the Southern Huskies branding is in no way alienating the northern half of the state, and has implored people to look beyond Tasmanian links as the push to join the league ramps up.
Hickey declared the "Southern" component of the name refers to south of Melbourne and Bass Strait, while the Huskies was the one moniker that stuck when the consortium was brainstorming ideas.
“We want to unite the state here, I have seen a lot of feedback of people saying it is all about Hobart, but it’s not south of Oatlands,” Hickey said.
“It is south of Melbourne, that’s the whole connotation, it is about getting south of Bass Strait and trying to unite the whole state.
“We are the southern-most state in Australia, and then with the colour schemes we were trying to work out, when we went through the whole branding strategy, what we could do that would stand out.
“Colours aligned with the southern lights and Southern Aurora, it is very Tasmanian, no matter whether you live in the north or the south. Everyone understands what it means.
Then there is the whole Douglas Mawson side of things. When Dave [Bartlett] went a little further into that Mawson story about pulling together a team of brothers and explorers and reaching into the unknown, which is what they did, well that’s what we are all about.
“It is getting everyone united and going on this journey together and hopefully like them going to Antarctica, us getting into the NBL and something big comes out the other end.”
The consortium will also run a #wethesouth campaign, which was derived from the successful #wethenorth tagline the Toronto Raptors unveiled on Twitter in 2014 after making the NBA playoffs for the first time since 2008.
During the playoff run, the franchise became the Raptors, with the focus of the slogan to unite all of Canada behind the country’s only NBA side.
The logo’s colour scheme is meant to evoke the palette of the southern lights..
It is another component Hickey believes can play a major role in connecting all of the state, while also defending the decision to not have Tasmania emblazed at the forefront of the team.
“We have plans now and when we get this team into the NBL to ensure we do our utmost to include the Launceston area and the North-West Coast as well,” Hickey said.
“From things like pre-season week-long camps, to ensuring as many fans from up north and the midlands can get down to a game at the DEC.
“In the end we wanted to get away from the name Tassie that features in a lot of other sporting teams.
“This is far, far more reaching than just sport, it sits in with the whole plan we have got for multiple revenue streams.
“It is important to have a tie in that doesn’t necessarily have to feature the name Tasmania.”

Reply #697164 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #697174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So looks like no regular season games in Launceston?

This on top of it being farcical calling your team "Southern" with the north-south divide present in Tasmania.

JFC...

Reply #697178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunno. Do other NBL teams play in any other locations in their home state?

Reply #697184 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Last poster - get over the parochialism, read more. The siverdome and elphin are not NBL ready, the DEC needs and will get significant investment for it to be NBL ready.

This is a statewide bid get behind it, or be constructive ....very easy to take pot shot a lot harder to do the work as this consortium has.

Reply #697185 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

My post was replying to the one ending JFC, not the re ent anonymous

Reply #697186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But the whole problem is if all games are played in Hobart the northerners will say "nup, not our team" just like in the past with everything else. So they are repeating the same old mistakes. It's a fact - people from Launceston and Devenport won't buy in. "oh, that Hobart team!"

Reply #697193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty amazing that people can't read.
"From things like pre-season week-long camps, to ensuring as many fans from up north and the midlands can get down to a game at the DEC."
I wonder what that means. Wait until the submission is in and find out how that issue can be surmounted.

Reply #697195 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Every solution along comes a problem. What is your solution anonymous The bid has been methodical and professional and will continue to be so.,there will be those who can not see the potential for further growth and not do a cracker except moan.

Cant change that pettiness, what can happen is embrace change and get on board.

I drove to Launceston and back on Tuesday for work, will be back up there next weekend for a bball tournament and then Devonport for another tournament two weeks later. ....its what you do when my kids play and ref in development and club comps. Im in Hobart but travel for bball at least twice every 6 weeks

Seriously we need to grow up and get over it, embrace change and become professional

Reply #697197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can't please everyone and there are some people who just love any excuse to have a whinge. They're a tiny minority and are irrelevant to the success or failure of a venture so just ignore them I reckon.

Reply #697198 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Apologies to reply#697195, agree with your post !

Reply #697199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Tasmania even big enough to have a north and south?

Reply #697200 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

South Australia Tourism should sponsor the game night between 36ers and Tassie.

I'd love to see their logo sans Tasmania plastered everywhere

Reply #697204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look I am positive and it is great there is a new organised team coming in but people in the north when they see all games played in Hobart will switch off. It's the whole north-south divide they have going there in TAS.

Reply #697206 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

7206-are you in Tas, or just an expert on everything Tasmania with an opinion?

Entitled to it. If you watch how the bid is structured the whole of the state is and will be included , also factors in the negativity of some

Reply #697211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see that but at the end of the day if all regular season games are in Hobart you will get northerners who will say "oh it's a Hobart team" or am I wrong?

Reply #697215 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

215 it is a team that intends to unite all of the state - watch it evolve. Think you will stick with your thought bubble, thats fine.

It is South of Melbourne, watch what happens not what happened in the past.

Very easy to throw negatives out without doing work.

Not a matter of you being right or wrong, watch what happens that will be your evidence

Reply #697217 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

215 it is a team that intends to unite all of the state - watch it evolve. Think you will stick with your thought bubble, thats fine.

Not a matter of you being right or wrong, watch what happens that will be your evidence. Sounds like you work for the AFL using that line

Reply #697219 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Not a matter of you being right or wrong, watch what happens that will be your evidence. Sounds like you work for the AFL using that line

Reply #697221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scout hopefully you are right.

AFL? Ewww, nope. NBL follower hoping for success with expansion.

Reply #697222 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Ooops apolgies for multiple posts

Reply #697224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The peanut gallery happy to bag anything out for the sake of it. These are probably the same people that actually never go to a game of NBL as well. Just sit on the sidelines and bleat.

Reply #697225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

... or season members of their club for a decade plus and following the leauge for three decades.

Reply #697227 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yep ive been playing / following for well over 3 decades as well. Remember Launceton Casino and the father and uncle of curremt hobart seabl player jack stanwix playing nbl . Opinions are important and inform discussion but also should be up for change.

I would be disappointed if this bid does not get up as it has been methodical and inclusive. Also has all the criteria but sone things are out of control i realise that

Reply #697231 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Wow all the shit I spoke and the silly ideas and I get bagged for suggesting that a team use an unprecedented third mascot and call him something in regards to Central (which is better than calling them say Hobart, Launceston and Devonport and alienating other towns in Tassie) and by the looks of it Central is old growth forrests so why not name this THIRD mascot Woody and others alluding to other things Tasmania are proud of.

Good luck Anon but I'm not seeing you suggesting things in an attempt to get people excited during the off season.

Reply #697232 | Report this post

LL  
Years ago

To understand the objections you need to understand that this is an unnecessary swipe at the North.
Yes, the state is divided, and yes this division is unnecessarily played upon. Even with the AFL there are those openly promoting the infantile idea that we should support Hawthron over North Melbourne because one plays in Launceston and the other in Hobart.
I personally think the state is too small to waste so much time arguing internally, but it happens, in everything.

I can assure you that nobody in the North thinks of themselves as being "South of Melbourne." What a moronic notion.

I doubt I would have travelled to watch games, and certainly wouldn't have bought a membership, but would notionally have supported a State team. Instead they have cut of whatever small amount of support they may have had from the North, with this unnecessary insult.
And the answer as to “why?” is “because they can” and you need to understand that it has been going on for decades/centuries.

In some ways, calling it Southern is worse than simply Hobart, because it says that whilst they want to include other supporters, they still don’t want Northerners.

It’s possible this is payback for lack of tangible government support. The government would have insisted on the “Tasmanian” label, and possibly even sharing some of the games.

Oh, and whilst you may think “Huskies” is just another random name its not. It’s a deliberate link with Hobart (nobody in the North has ever seen a Husky.)
Calling the team the Devils, would have acknowledged the whole state. Couldn’t have that.
And I think its not coincidence that most will fall into the habit of calling them the Hobart Huskies.

Reply #697251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Let's hope that not everyone in the north is not as inward looking as LL and I don’t believe they are. You have to start somewhere and the amount of money they are investing I’d say they’ve done there homework.
Good luck with the bid, can’t wait to get down there to watch a game.

Reply #697256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well there you have it.

Just as I feared how locals from the north would react and now we have LL's input.

Told you.

Reply #697261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I can assure you that nobody in the North thinks of themselves as being "South of Melbourne." What a moronic notion."

I just looked at a map and I don't get why this notion is moronic.

Reply #697264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Certainly glad LL seldom posts. What a crock.

Reply #697266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone has a huge chip on their shouLLder about where they LLive

Reply #697296 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

LL get over it, if you feel that passionate get involved. Sniping is easy,it is not a 'crack at the North'......seriously the bid is about the state dont make it insular and sad and all about you

Reply #697298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you live in a state you don't think of yourself as south of another state. You're either north or south of the state you're living in. To say "oh but TAS is south of Melbourne" is a bit rich. Are Melburnians running this proposed franchise?

Reply #697299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While I don't quite understand why Tassie or Tasmanian Huskies was not preferable to Southern Huskies, I also don't understand why someone in Australia's southern-most state would get their knickers in such a massive twist about having their state being called Southern. Talk about precious!

Reply #697302 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

7299 your conspiracy theory is a bit confusing?

Reply #697304 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"While I don't quite understand why Tassie or Tasmanian Huskies was not preferable to Southern Huskies, I also don't understand why someone in Australia's southern-most state would get their knickers in such a massive twist about having their state being called Southern. Talk about precious! "

And yet you have yours in a twist over??

This is a forum, people express opinions.
I'm a bit confused over what Southern refers to, but at the end of the day it doesn't actually matter to me, or most others.

What matter is who their target audience is, and whether THEY get behind the team.

Reply #697305 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Yep Ad - it does sound prescious

What would it take for it to be graced with your support?

Reply #697308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Someone from Launceston just explained why they don't like Southern yet you choose to ignore him/her.

Reply #697311 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I've got the perfect name - Tasmania United!

Reply #697314 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

...oh, I was beating to the punch by the 2nd post...

Reply #697315 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Ignore?

Just because i disagree does not mean ignore. Is this state south???

It is about all of the state , the process is just starting. What is needed for your support?

Creating a debate about nothing

Reply #697316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah. Just wait and see if the bidders get the DEC. If not, Who really cares then.

Reply #697321 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Yep 321 exactly - step by step, DEC is needed as part of process. If that falls over that's it.

Seriously do not think people understand the amountt of work / $'s involved to get this to a sustainable stage and to be able to have this discussion

Reply #697325 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

I agree with you SCOUT.

@LL, you have two choices champion, you can bitch and let this become exactly what you're suggesting or you can contact the management for this new team and ask for a job in which you're involved advertising the team to the north and making it as influential up there as you want it to be. I'm sure that the second option would be better for everyone.

Reply #697329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LL = Loser Loser

Reply #697355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo likes it and wants in.

Reply #697357 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I think, without context, Southern is a perfectly fine name.

It is the southern most state in the country, obviously. This whole debate about being "further south than Melbourne" is a crazy debate. It is further south than everywhere on the mainland.

The problem is within the context, where people within the state see themselves as northern or southern. Given this team is supposed to represent all of Tasmania, you'd think they'd be keenly aware of this context.

Much of New Zealand is further south than Australia, but can you imagine someone from the North Island supporting a team based in Christchurch, calling itself "Southern Breakers" and declaring they're for all of NZ?

Tasmania would have been a far more inclusive name.

Reply #697367 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I have friends in Tasmania and they say the name and the whole concept has been a massive hit. The upcoming team is now on everyone's lips. I don't think the word "Southern" has had any ill effect.

Reply #697368 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Cram - don't buy in to the insular stuff,the bid is about uniting the whole state, we are the southern most state of Australia.

And the team will represent the whole state, everyonr understnds what it means.

Reply #697369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes my Tasmanian friends are say it's a great concept, White and Brown are both from the north and play for the chargers, it’s not that big a deal any more.

Reply #697370 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Marcus Bellchambers, Anthony Stewart etc . The bid by the consortium is incremental abd will include the whole state.

As stated previously need to first get hold of the DEC

Reply #697373 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, has been well received overall down here. Some complaints, as there always are, but most people I speak to are excited there is such a professional bid being put in for a Tassie team in a national comp.

Reply #697376 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

More here:

https://mobile.twitter.com/brentcostelloe/status/1019130351585615872

Reply #697379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be more worried about getting INTO the NBL before self destructing over a name. People talking like it's a fait accompli.

Reply #697380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Launny and the NW have no issues with supporting a team called Hobart in the BBL. As long as you try to include the whole state, they will understand that it is a state-based team and support the team. Hopefully, the government will spend some money up North(they always do ;)) to improve the Silverdome so the Huskies can take home games to other regions. I feel(and I talk as someone from Hobart with NW roots) that the North-South thing is a thing from the past. We are Tasmanian first. Sure, there are always going to be disagreements regarding the location of things or how money is spent, but I don't think any sane person will let it override the fact that we have to all support a Tasmanian team to get it to work. Otherwise, they(the evil Mainlanders) will use it against us(see AFL)

I would have prefered Tasmanian but understand what angle they are using, regarding the Southern(get it) Ocean and Antartica. I am warming up to the name and I like that it is different and has a story. There was a great little cartoon in the Merc today with a Huskie. The Hurricanes has worked and that nothing to do with Tas.

Also, there is no central Tasmania to the person who kept saying central Tasmania as if it is a thing. The central part of Tasmania is either the Midlands(Campbell Town) or the central highlands(Or the Great Lakes). And no one lives there. The 3 major regions of Tas is South(Hobart), North(Launceston) and the NW(Burnie and Devonport). The latter two are normally combined to become the North. the North has as much population as the South.

Reply #697381 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Totally agree #380 - work to be done, amazing amount completed to this stage but nothing locked in yet.

Projects need steps completed (outputs) for them to be completed with outcomes, still need to tick off DEC etc. Very impressive process so far

Reply #697382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo likes it and wants in.

No thanks. He gives nothing and should retire.

Good to hear the whole north vs. south in TAS is a thing of the past.

Reply #697384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a great little cartoon in the Merc today with a Huskie.

Link?

Reply #697385 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This has me so confused

LL stated that no one from the north has seen a Husky? Do they not have dogs on Tasmania?

Also your entire state is smaller than England, so calm down and stop being so divisive

Reply #697388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cartoon is of a house named 'Tasmania', Gill McLachlan trying to open the gate looking at a big sign saying 'Beware of the dog' and a huge Husky behind the fence growling at him.

Reply #697389 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

This bid has about as much chance of survival as that of the Tassie Tiger

Reply #697390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reality has as much chance of being right as me making 10 consecutive free throws.

Reply #697398 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

SCOUT, ME and others; I too am glad to hear the north vs south thing isn't as big of an issue as it has been in the past. Hope it all goes well.

Reply #697401 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Cheers Cram -appreciated.

Whatever happens it has been a impressive process up to now and i hope that will continue

Reply #697404 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Good post anon # 381

Reply #697405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cartoon is of a house named 'Tasmania', Gill McLachlan trying to open the gate looking at a big sign saying 'Beware of the dog' and a huge Husky behind the fence growling at him.

Nice! The Tasmanian government needs to stop being milked by the AFL! Their own team may make them realise this.

Reply #697408 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Leaks from the consortium say that if they get the ownership of the DEC they will "Ensure the Stadium has a naming rights sponsor", install 1600 new premium level 1 seats, new premium court side seats, a new 4 panel drop down scoreboard, New NBA style change rooms with individual warm up courts, New Premium lighting, New foyer and merchandise store, skylounges rebuilt, F&B revamp new backboard and court.
A rainy day fund setup externally administered. Continued community engagement.

Yes it's all a "field of dreams" isn't it.
This consortium has spent at least 6 months in planning their bid. 5 days of mercury press as well with The mercury consulted months ago.
Government fully versed in what will transpire without asking for 1 cent of backing.

Reply #697411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now that the north-south divide has been cleared up as not being a big deal I'm getting excited over this!

Reply #697412 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Huskypup yep.....wthout asking for 1 cent from govt ( the same one that has thrown millions at NM and Hawthorn, Time for this to stop)

Reply #697422 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Hobart Charger's game against NW Thunder sold out before 6:30pm. Long line of disappointed fans at the ticket booth.

Hard to say what the crowd is with current configuration but possibly upwards of 3000.

All Tasmanian teams playing. Men and women.

Reply #697457 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Would you believe a little over 2000?

Reply #697458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is it? 3,000 or 2,000? Isn't DEC capacity 4.5K unless capped for SEABL? Utter confusion at the moment.

Reply #697462 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Great to hear about all those changes to DEC, but it almost sounds like they could knock down some walls and increase capacity to say 10,000 if they wanted... I know some may laugh at that thought but it really sounds like the owners have the mindset of if we build it then they will come and if SEABL games are selling out and the north and south aren't so divided then I wonder if there is any possibility of this happening... I really wish that Perth would build a bigger stadium as Wildcats are seemingly turning away fans and Huskies fans could experience the same fate.

Reply #697471 | Report this post

Herman (#381)  
Years ago

I just loved that cartoon as it showed a real "us v them" mentality. You mess with us and you have to deal with the big large dog in his yard. It was the first time I really connected with the Huskie nickname.

My friends only have a mild interest in Basketball but we are all excited for this potential team and most of us will get memberships for sure. I don't think mainlanders understand how frustrated and even hurt we are that we don't have a national football team down here. And you look at the sellout tonight for a SEABL match, which shows a great love for basketball already in the state.

The best people to follow on twitter regarding news on the bid would be

https://twitter.com/ajsmiddy (merc sports editor)

https://twitter.com/brentcostelloe (Wins news sports reporter)

https://twitter.com/Bartlett_DJ (the public face of the bid)

and of course,
https://twitter.com/SouthernHuskies

There is a new stadium concept design now published plus the small cartoon plus what the bid team wants to put down to the table to the NBL when they table the bid officially.

Reply #697481 | Report this post

Blerg  
Years ago

Is there a link to these DEC concept designs?

Reply #697483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOt sure there is a link yet. All the press were issues media kits today.
2200 people at a sold out game tonight with all 4 Tassie teams competing. North and North West Vs Hobart ;)

Reply #697495 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

https://mobile.twitter.com/ajsmiddy/status/1020246859296649216/photo/1

This is a link to proposed design

Reply #697499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice, but pretty small

Reply #697500 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Never happy anon #500 !!

How can you tell the capacity?

Reply #697502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly a knowledgeable stadium architect. What a lot of BS.
FFS it holds 5000 now. Perfect basketball stadium.
Surrounded by arseclowns.

Reply #697503 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

From today's Mercury. (paywall) in part.

"The redevelopment of the DEC would include a four-panel drop-down scoreboard, NBA-style changerooms with individual warm-up courts, 1600 new premium seats, a complete food and beverage revamp and new court, backboards and 30-second shot clocks. The Southern Huskies will invest $3 million to $4 million into the DEC overhaul in the first six months should their offer for the venue be successful — all part of the plan for a new sports and entertainment precinct for the area totalling up to $90 million."

Reply #697504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice. Get rid of that brick wall.

Reply #697508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like how the concept design includes banners.

Maybe they can hang Launceston's NBL title.

Reply #697509 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

30-second shot clocks
Do they not get much news down there in Tassie?

Reply #697512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a crock of old shit
Love how they sprout all the pipe-dreams, then admit they only plan to spend $3~4M.
Talk about trying to polish a turd.
I know that labor is supposedly cheaper, but $4M doesn't go far on something that size.

And where exactly is the rest of the $90M going to come from?

It could just be the language, but to me, if you have $90M and intend to spend it, then you say "we have $90M and are going to spend it."

Sorry, but I have read dozens, if not hundreds, of business plans over the years, all using the same vague language. "We Anticipate", "the plan calls for", etc, etc, and the majority had less legs than a worm.
It's a basic truism: Those without the cash write plans and drum up support, those who have the cash just get on and build.

So I guess we'll wait and see.
(Mod: Removed. Legally questionable.)

Reply #697514 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Love how they sprout all the pipe-dreams, then admit they only plan to spend $3~4M.
They plan to spend that in the first six months. There's only so much you can do at once.

Reply #697517 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Geee there are some bitter posters on here taking pot shots, some of them are getting close to libel with statements about Justin Hickey. He is the major backer but not the only one, but damn it id good to have him on board.He is copping similar rubbish to what LK has in the past (who i believe if he had not got involved in the NBL it would be close to folding - now thriving)

For a start i reckon people should read up on what has and will occur before posting ignorant rubbish.

Also believe some are displaying petty jealousy.

This bid has been methodical, professional and sustainable (multiple revenue streams inculding hotel on site, and externally run 'rainy day fund') of which i believe will work and bring people along.

Yes there are and will be challenges but the work that is being done has been phenomenal. This is positive stuff for the sport and the state and people need to pull the vitriol and pettiness back a bit.

Reply #697527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People who have done nothing trying to shoot down people having a go. Bring it on.

Reply #697537 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Yes pretty amazing that someone from the peanut gallery calls Hickey a conman.
It just shows you what lengths some non achiever in basketball and life will go to with out even giving them a chance.
The guy is a local and a former Hornet / Chargers / Devil.
He's made his fortune in tech and is doing very when thankyou.
He simply wants to see a NBL side back in Tasmania and have the chance he had as a kid to excel to the best level in basketball and that's the NBL.

For the lunatic fringe that cheap shot from the side lines from their cave it has already been said numerous times that "...all part of the plan for a new sports and entertainment precinct for the area totalling up to $90 million.
Mr Bartlett said he wanted the precinct to be used "all day, every day" for sport, dining, or entertainment."
This includes building a hotel that "concept drawings released on Friday show a revamped court and exterior, and initial ideas for a 140-room hotel proposed for the site.
Mr Bartlett said the integrated hotel would be a mid-range hotel, similar to a Vibe hotel.
“It will be cost effective so families can stay there,” he said. “We expect that with a hotel on site we can attract more tournaments.”
If Hickey gets the DEC then all power to him. They will present to the NBL by November. How can that be a con?
Incidentally those within the consortium have access to a LOT of money. Hickey is the face of the consortium, it's his idea but he has powerful backers and to suggest what has been suggested here is a lie.
One of those in the background has more money than LK. So shutup about Hickey and if you have reviewed hundreds of business plans then clearly we know your ability to judge things is woeful.

Reply #697540 | Report this post

Herman (#381)  
Years ago

The NBL team is just one part of this whole plan. Tassie needs a more up-to-date function centre for concerts and such and our tourism industry is booming and having a hotel near MONA would be smart. The DEC is in a fantastic big location in a city running out of space.

I wish I was an investor because it has the potential to make a lot of money.

Reply #697566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the branding people thought that Tasmania or Hobart has bad connotations associated with it in the sports world (i.e. not good enough or big enough to have their own team) so they've stayed away from it.

Using the "We the South" slogan is very try-hard though.

Reply #697568 | Report this post

Herman (#381)  
Years ago

It is also close(ish) to the old rail lane if they ever decide to build light rail on that.

Reply #697569 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

#568 Anon maybe not to your tasting, another who has a pot shot without offering an alternative.

We the south sets the club apart, doesn't really matter if you are not attached to it,dont reckon you are who it is directed.

Im looking forward to it all evolve, piece by piece

Reply #697571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it's a great concept. Tasmania is Australia's southern state, so the southern part makes sense and promotes a sense of "us against them" mentality, which will be important in uniting the state around the team. Does a much better job than calling them Hobart something. Huskies is a nice tie in to Antarctica, which Tasmania's connection to is unique. Colours are bold and are a point of difference in the league. Not every team from Tasmania needs to be called the devils, and it signals a fresh start for Tasmanian basketball, we shouldn't call them a name because just because it's what's always happened. Maybe as a nod to the past they could hang Launceston's banner?

Reply #697592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe they could pay Cliff Martin's wages and back interest too ;)

Reply #697597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really impressed with all the details and thought put into this bid so far.
Can't wait to hear more.

Reply #697600 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

This thread is just weird
A lot of people screaming at each other over nothing.

It's not clear to me whether this "bid" has NBL backing? Don't shoot the messenger, I'm only basing that on some comments that they have not presented to the NBL yet.
To me, that would be the Litmus test. Say what I may about LK, he's made his money, and knows what it takes to be successful.
So if he welcomes the bid with open arms, I think we can safely assume that the bid has a decent plan and the money to back it up.
If he doesn't, well the bid will die.

Honestly, I would be surprised if they have gone to this extent without his blessing.

As for the name;
I like Huskies. They are one of the few breeds of dogs than can have blue eyes without complications. Beautiful.
Certainly it is better than many other NBL names. The connection to Tassie may be tenuous, but again is stronger than most other teams.

As for the whole "Southern" debate, well I do find it a tad puzzling, but I'm happy to leave that to the Tasmanians.

Reply #697604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The haven't presented to the NBL yet. They have had initial talks and there are still more talks to come before the final presentation. All this is based on them getting control of the DEC. If not, they will walk away from the NBL bid and pursue other commercial ventures on that site.

Reply #697610 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

There are some people on this board who REALLY hate when people with money get involved in the league. It's quite bizarre to see really. It borders on mental illness the leaps of logicv people perform to find negatives in the great things that are happening.

Reply #697633 | Report this post

D2  
Years ago

But at the same time, the "pro" arguments in this thread are also rather high-strung.

When people have followed the NBL for some time, we've seen it all. Teams struggling year after year before finally dying, petulant arseholes pulling their team out of the league, and of course the ultimate shyster that twat selling petrol pills.
I even remember that season when the Cats had a major sponsor, that nobody had ever heard of, no had any clue what they did.

Unfortunately there have been more failures than success stories, so perhaps some cynicism is warranted?

End of the day, if this bid gets up, and is viable long-term, that will be a great thing for the NBL and Tassie.

Reply #697648 | Report this post

SCOUT  
Years ago

Yes D2 totally agree that there is a place for healthy cynicism and honest analysis.

When you do that it adds to the discussion, do you actually have any analysis of this bid ie how it stacks up, what steps it should take, where it is now?

Or just personal experience from the past? Might sayyour comment is high strung and righteouss without looking at where the bid is.

This bid is now at they stage of waiting for the decision on the purchase of the DEC, the community here and elsewhere are discussing it and basketball which is a very positive thing.

One of the things that David Bartlett (ex Premier and spokesperson of bid )said yesterday that stuck with me is that the consortium has the $s but it is also committed to working with the community for it to have positive outcomes. An example of the is school programs been run / yesteerday my daughter attende a bball clinic run by attende by players and coach (Anthony Stewart ) the Chargers ( SEABL team ) which also had a session on how to combat cyber bullying. Really positive stuff - this is all part of it.

Reply #697658 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I am all for people being realistically cynical, and would never ask that anyone dull that to be a one-eyed optimist. I know i get a little sick of hearing the gushing rants of guys like Andrew Gaze and Shane Heal and knowing that reality is a little more grounded on earth than their hyperbole, but at the same time if someone is going to outright deride the moves being made I'd prefer they'd have a reasoned article to back it up. Often I find people pull BS reasons out of the sky to believe that the league is going to fall apart, and it goes as far beyond reason in the opposite direction as many of the dancing monkey enthusiasts do. But I am trying to see the downside in the Tasmanian bid and I am unable to. Worst case scenario the team folds and were back to where we are now. So the sum is either status quo, or great success. Why not take a punt on it? Looks like some pretty wealthy people are willing to do just that. If we're going to judge NBL on past failures we'd basically better just give up on it because nothing the NBL could possibly do would not remind us of something they tried in the past and failed at. Might as well pack up your bags and go home.

Reply #697665 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Merchandise already made and about to be released and an online Husky store as well not far away.
The effort and cost put in already is simply outstanding.

The new guy on the block with a nice shiny new licence has a lot of catching up to do. Just saying.

Reply #697670 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Ok I think my comments above may have been a little premature for the most part, I'm really coming around to this bid and I like the rainy day fund and the hotel idea etc, I mean who here wouldn't want to see their team play in Tasmania in a venue you know is state of the art and accomodation is close etc.

But now my question is this, once they are established and proven to be self sufficient and the Hotel is as well, could this club become a super power of the league? With the supposed money that is associated with this bid, could this team legitimately recruit Ryan Broekhoff for example once he comes back from the NBA ?

I think this club sounds better off than Illawarra and I want to say Cairns but I know Cairns have made money in past seasons and building stronger rosters jeopardises that.

I hope they get everything they wish for and so do the extremely patient and well deserving Tasmanians

Reply #697732 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Honestly, I would be surprised if they have gone to this extent without his blessing.
My guess would be that they unofficially have a licence waiting for them as soon as they get their hands on the DEC.

Reply #697741 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

In a sense it is a good sign that they are already so progressed in terms of professional branding and the like.

A lot of these things take time, so to get ahead is brilliant. If they get their hands on the DEC in the next month or so and can upgrade the DEC's capacity to 5-5.5k and upgrade the other aspects to NBL standard well in time for the 19/20 NBL season than they're going to be starting on the right foot.

Reply #697744 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Unlike many other clubs the Huskies won't be spending way over the cap. An operating budget of $5mill.has been mentioned.

Reply #697756 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

http://www.aussiehoopla.com/the-southern-huskies-plan-to-bring-nbl-basketball-back-to-tasmania/ worth a listen if you still have questions

Reply #697794 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Merchandise being revealed everyday this week.
Like Southern Huskies Basketball on FB. #wethesouth

The reason behind the logo reveals a lot of things that I am many have missed.

We've been asked a lot about the thinking behind our logo.
Here it is in a nutshell:

We started with three huskies to represent our focus on being a strong pack with a sense of togetherness, fierce loyalty and camaraderie.
The huskies are shown howling together and communicating with each other, emphasising our commitment to teamwork and our ability to support each other.

The background of the logo is made up of a basketball with a strong point at the bottom to reflect the South and the land we are representing.

The Huskies type uses a half gradient to reflect the cold and ice encountered by the explorers leaving Tasmania and heading out during the Heroic Age of Antarctic Exploration. The 'I' in Huskies represents an ice-pick used during these expeditions, a sign of strength and adventure and the drive to carry on no matter what conditions are faced. The typeface itself is italic to show movement, speed and agility both representing the huskies as an animal and for the basketball we aim to play.

Our colours are a direct representation of the Aurora Australis or the Southern Lights. The dark blue representing the night sky and the rich purple and vivid greens from this amazing natural phenomenon.

So, there you have it.

Reply #697890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

woof

Reply #697897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL @ the over analysis of the logo

Reply #697898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an explanation. I never realised that Tassie was in the logo.

Reply #697909 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I think the explanation is superb, especially for those who do not know much about our southern state. It explains how everything is tied in together.

Reply #697922 | Report this post

Husk  
Years ago

This is why we struggle to get a team in any league for Tassie. So many bed wetters over every detail.
That and the need to appease those in the North... Historically because of the use of Gov funding.

This time it's private backers, so no need to make it the WHOLE STATE'S TEAM. Get on board n support a team in Tassie or shut up n let those who do want progress move forward.

Reply #697935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same in any other state, follow your closest team, go to games if you can.
Hey why not even do it as a road trip or a weekend away... A bit of domestic tourism always helps the state.

Reply #697936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said Husk.

Reply #697938 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Listen to the Hoopla podcast if you're interested in the Tassie team or just expansion in general, great ideas for future growth of the league.

Reply #697993 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

The Hoopla guy just says for every franchise to buy their arena. If that was possible I think most would have done it by now.

Reply #697994 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Tassie in prime position if they get control of the DEC.

Reply #698000 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

If the model works in Tassie and makes money more investors would be interested in their own venue/team.

Reply #698017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Build your own and they will come.

Reply #698028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Hoopla guy is the same idiot who claimed the Kings were signing Torrey Craig lol

Reply #698033 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think the explanation is superb, especially for those who do not know much about our southern state. It explains how everything is tied in together."

I agree.

Reply #698038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It's not clear to me whether this "bid" has NBL backing?"

The NBL have already made it clear that they will back anyone whose business plan seems solid. Tassie themselves have stated that their NBL bid doesn't even exist yet since it is contingent on a number of things that haven't occurred yet.

Reply #698040 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

The good press continues. A great article from the North West's "The Advocate".
Thunder's coach and former Chargers player Sam Armstrong endorses the bid wholeheartedly.
Featuring Mason Bragg in a Huskies uniform shows you how everyone is behind the bid and a state not divided.

https://www.theadvocate.com.au/sport/local-sport/5548132/the-north-west-coast-a-big-part-of-southern-huskies-plans/

Reply #698097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Tassie themselves have stated that their NBL bid doesn't even exist yet since it is contingent on a number of things that haven't occurred yet."
No idea where this bunkum comes from. Perhaps the writer meant to say that Tassie's bid (yes there is a bid with a multi facetted offering to the NBL, see the above posts detailing what is already on the table), hasn't been presented yet until the DEC deal is done.
No DEC. No presentation of the bid.

Reply #698099 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

More good news coming from the Southern part of Australia.

"THE groundswell of support behind Tasmania's NBL push will make the Hobart Chargers the hottest destination in the SEABL in 2019.
That’s the firm view of coach Anthony Stewart, who is preparing his troops for Saturday’s qualifying final against Kilsyth in Melbourne.
Since the branding for the state’s proposed NBL team — the Southern Huskies — was released last week, Stewart’s phone has not stopped ringing with interest from both current and former players wanting to get involved.
Early planning for next year’s Chargers squad has already begun, with Stewart using the Huskies as a major selling point, despite the consortium behind the bid yet to meet the NBL to officially pitch its case for the 10th licence.
Hobart Chargers coach Anthony Stewart says his phone hasn’t stopped ringing since the release of the Southern Huskies branding. Picture: NIKKI DAVIS-JONES
"It is a great selling point, I have never had so many ex-players that I have played with or players who are currently in the system that want to come and play with the Chargers or be part of the Huskies," Stewart said.
“My phone has not stopped, it’s been incredible.
“It is a big part of our selling point. People are talking about it around the country and around the world.
“If you are not in the NBL right now, if you want to be part of the NBL, the Hobart Chargers is where you want to be playing.”
The Huskies have garnered a big following less than a week since the launch of the club’s social media sites, with financial backer Justin Hickey and his business partners set to meet NBL powerbrokers next month to present a plan which has covered every requirement.
Tasmanian basketball fans also sent a loud message to the league last Friday, with the Derwent Entertainment Centre hitting capacity and fans being turned away from Hobart’s matches against the North West Thunder and Launceston.
“To walk out into that stadium Friday night and see 2500 people there and people being pushed away from the door, it certainly gave me some gratification that we have done all we can,” Stewart said.

“The exciting thing is the [Huskies] brand is probably the best in the league and the vision, if you want a regional basketball team ... the concept and the business plan they are putting forward, it should be a priority for teams in regional areas to have that ownership of your stadium.”

Chargers off to play Kilsyth on Saturday night. Launceston Tornadoes off to play the Bendigo Braves.

Reply #698193 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Tasmanian Devils" does seem to be taken by a Champions League (3x3) team, as posted above. So it wouldn't have been available to a potential NBL frnachise or other professional Australian basketball franchise.

If you search 'Tasmanian Devils' on the Australian Business Register (http://www.abr.business.gov.au), you'll find that a company called 'CLB OPS CO PTY LTD' has registered the following business names from 23 February 2018:

Fremantle Thunder
Hobart Devils
Melbourne Magic
Tasmanian Devils
Townsville Suns

I assume CLB Ops is the company Champions League Basketball has set up to run their 3x3 competition.

Reply #698234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very good 13 minute interview on chargers tv with Anthony Stewart, DEC in or it ain't happening.

Reply #698255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #698264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart Devils
Melbourne Magic
Tasmanian Devils
Townsville Suns

These names should be held by the NBL because you never know what will happen in future, or even for retro round considerations.

CL 3x3 or whatever it's called can f**k off and create its own team names. I'm glad LK launched a rival 3x3 to nip these people in the bud.

Reply #698266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I always thought it was the Hobart Tassie Devils. 'Tasmanian' was never mentioned.

Reply #698271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great interview, very open and honest. No cliches which is good. Very confident in the chargers doing well in seabl this season and players wanting to join the organisation. Says Wilson is very good player but Moller best player in seabl by a mile but lost votes to team mates and if Moller played for tigers would've been mvp easily.
No DEC no huskies is basically the ultimatum. Got the impression he wanted to coach huskies but didn’t let on that the job is his, very good record in the seabl.
I’m impressed.

Reply #698301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewart has been part of plans from the beginning.

Reply #698311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In the group that is.

Whether that means a coaching role or not who knows but likely you would think.

Reply #698312 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

If Stewie and Nash when they returned at the end of their NBL careers and helped revive the Chargers back in the day, there would be no Chargers now and no Huskies bid.
Chargers since then have struggled somewhat but 2500 people last week for an intrastate men's and women's (all 4 teams) clash shows you how Tasmania are behind basketball in their state and the Huskies news.

Reply #698317 | Report this post

Herman (#381)  
Years ago

The DEC will be sold to them or the local council would have a revolt on its hand.

The Glenorchy City Council(who own the DEC) recently had to raise rates by a large % to cover for their recent infighting which forced our state government to disband them all and force a new election. The DEC makes a loss of roughly a million dollars each year(mainly from depreciation), so for them to not sell it to the Huskies, despite the fact they have raised rates to raise money, is political suicide. It is the perfect storm for the Huskies to get the DEC.

Reply #698327 | Report this post

Champ  
Years ago

I feel confident the dec deal will go through I noticed Willl hodgeman at the game last Friday I know the government are not a direct part of the consortium but I have no doubt they are assisting with the council part It's just a matter of being seen to go through the correct process . I really believe they have been given assurances that there is a licence there is no way hickey and co would have spent the cash they have so far and attempt to purchase the dec without a license all its also convenient how the huskies news broke only a couple days after kestleman announced the ninth license with nbl currently negotiating tv rights they would need 10 teams for a extra game in the new tv deal . Does anyone know who the other members of the consortium are ? apart from hickey and bartlett I keep hearing a prominent Hobart businessman I've noticed MONA name gets Brought up abit I wonder if there's a connection there!

Reply #698397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bartlett is the spokesman for the absent (in Tasmania) Hickey. There has never been any mention he is a financial backer.
There is no connection to MONA at all. Other than the location of the DEC is immediately across the river from MONA.
The MONA Effect as it is called is a world phenomenon and if this group get into the DEC look out. They can do for basketball and the NBL what Walsh has done with MONA.
Their foresight shown already is simply outstanding and plans are well in place. It all depends on the DEC decision.

Reply #698438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I 100% agree mate will be great for basketball and Tasmania if it gets up you would like to think the council would get things done in the end as it would also be great for them having a nbl team based in there district full credit to Justin hickey for putting his money and reputation on the line I was just interested to know who the other members of the consortium are!

Reply #698468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for anyone else like me wondering wtf MONA is, it seems to be the Museum of Old and New Art which is about 3 kms further up along the river from the DEC

Reply #698495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really? If you don't know MONA you've been living in a cave!

Reply #698502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've never been to Hobart and have almost no knowledge about it other than it being the finish line of a yacht race but the Huskies are giving me a reason to pay attention so bear with me. It's somewhere I'd like to visit some day and if I can catch an NBL game while I'm there that would be cool.

Reply #698507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you want to know about Mona you're better of typing David Walsh into google mate his they guy that built the place him and a group of mates all mathematicians genius formed the biggest gambling syndicate in the world I thought he may have been involved some how

Reply #698521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well all they did was sign up for a rebate agreement for losings bets placed on Tasmanian TAB but it was enough to money to become rich on sheer volume.

Reply #698527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then TAS TAB went broke and was bought by TAB mainland. lol

Reply #698529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damm those 3 Km's must be the reason that it can't work. Piss off. Walsh isn't involved. So many negative anonymous opinions that actually have no Tasmanian knowledge.

Reply #698531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah not sure why MONA was brought up.

Reply #698532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey MONA
Ooooooh MONA

Reply #698533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homer's mother.

Reply #698535 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Launch day tomorrow for the Southern Huskies Foundation Members.
" IT'S ALMOST GO TIME!
Tomorrow is launch day for Foundation Members.
From 12:00PM on 1st August our Foundation Members pack will be available for just $10 with free delivery.
Each pack contains a numbered Foundation Membership card and lanyard in a unique presentation box and enables you to become a part of history as a founding member of the Southern Huskies, providing key support to us in 2019 and beyond.
Your membership entitles you to discounts on merchandise, saves you money on season tickets and gives you access to the biggest and best offers and exclusives.
The first 200 Southern Huskies fans that purchase a membership pack and use the coupon code #WETHESOUTH2018 at the checkout will also receive an exclusive keyring, magnet and sticker pack.
Full details including the website address and links to buy will be sent tomorrow morning to all our loyal subscribers.
Hold tight for a huge merchandise announcement to follow soon!"
Seeing the membership lanyard and membership card beautifully packaged this is clearly the best marketing in the NBL already.

Reply #698920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pics?

Reply #698922 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Don't know how to post a pic here sorry. It was in an email. Tomorrow is launch day. Follow them on FB Southern Huskies Basketball.

Reply #698925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can I signup to email updates from them?

Reply #698930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ok found their website www.wethesouth.com.au

Reply #698931 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Gaze back Husky bid.

"BASKETBALL royalty Andrew Gaze believes securing ownership of a stadium could blaze the pathway for Tasmania to re-enter the NBL after more than two decades in the wilderness.
The five-time Olympian, former NBA guard and now Sydney Kings coach has been impressed with what he has seen from the Southern Huskies branding since the official launch of the proposed team two weeks ago.
Central to the bid — led by Tasmanian entrepreneur Justin Hickey — is the Derwent Entertainment Centre, with an offer from one of Hickey's companies Hydraplay for the venue and some land currently with the Glenorchy City Council.
Should the GCC accept it would give the consortium a huge boost in its pursuit of an NBL licence given the financial stability it would bring.
"That would be fantastic," Gaze said when told the consortium was looking to buy the DEC.
“It is a quality stadium where they have the facilities to host corporates to a level which is required and I think it provides a really good spectator experience.
“Of course if you actually own or have control of the venue, not only can it be financially viable, it can be one that you can put together a program that would be the envy of a lot of others because of the revenue you can generate.
“Here in Sydney, AEG Ogden are the managers and maybe not the owners of the facility but they have control of the venue.
“We don’t have it as good as saying you completely own it, but they have the management rights to Qudos Bank Arena.”
With interest in basketball in Australia booming following the success of the national team and the number of players in the NBA, Gaze said it was time for the NBL expansion to continue growing the game.

And he is a big supporter of a team from Tasmania, which has not had a presence at the top level since 1996.

“It would be tremendous if they were able to get a viable bid up and off the ground, it would help enhance the league and do tremendous things for not only the league but to continue the good vibe and growth of the game throughout grassroots as well.

“I think it is fantastic that we have got someone in that part of the country interested in being involved, provided they have the resources to do it, I think it would be fantastic to have another team in the competition.

“I saw a bit [of the Huskies branding] online, I haven’t studied it but it looked impressive, it looked pretty slick.”

Reply #698944 | Report this post

Herman (#381)  
Years ago

Well, the website crashed. That is a good sign i guess. Member number 390 odd for me

Reply #698970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No e-mail confirmation since registering last night. Hmm..

Reply #698978 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

I hot m8ne 2 hrs before tip off. A link and a countdown timer. Potential members would have been ticked off with the inability of the servers in coping when flooded.

Reply #698979 | Report this post

Herman (#381)  
Years ago

Check your junk mail. Mine went in there first.

Reply #698990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing.

Reply #698999 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Huskies now going to release "a numbered series of 1000 Heritage "Game Night Edition" Southern Huskies Jerseys"

#42. 42deg South. For those that may not know on the BIG Island, Google it

Reply #699041 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

MOre good news with the Southern Huskies spokesperson on WIN TV not long ago.
FB link.

https://www.facebook.com/WINNewsTasmania/videos/2028820467151616/

Making a LOT of POSITIVE noise.

Reply #699045 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

ABC Hobart sport on the massive Huskies impact across Tasmania.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-01/southern-huskies-bid-for-nbl/10061786

Reply #699056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just signed on. My order number was in the 1200's

Reply #699059 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

I would of thought they would of sold more memberships than that by now.

Reply #699216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Still no e-mail subscription. They join the 36ers and Taipans now in terms of not actually having their subscribe button work. What is it with NBL?

Reply #699221 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I would of thought they would of sold more memberships than that by now.
That'd put them in the same ballpark as Cairns and Illawarra, most likely, despite the Huskies not even existing. WTF were you expecting?

Reply #699223 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

I know they want 5000 member's for when the bid is presented to the nbl, i just thought all the hype would of translated to more sold on day 1.

Reply #699235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the computer system crashed due to demand.

Reply #699239 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

However many members the Huskies have signed up before the bid is presented to the NBL it will be exactly the same number more than Romie Chaudhari has so far for his licence.

Reply #699242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

instead of complaining here why not reach Southern Huskies Basketball on FB. They are very responsive.

Reply #699249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tweet:

@Warrboy99
"I'm late to the biggest party this side of Bass Strait, but not too late to become a Foundation Member of the @SouthernHuskies - I just became member #1589 #WeTheSouth"

Reply:

@SouthernHuskies
"I don’t want to burst your bubble but your order number isn’t necessarily your member number....we’ve had people buying ten in some cases! Just in case you were thinking of having #1589 tattoo’d on you!"

Reply #699256 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Justin Hicky and Michael Sutton both met with the Tassie government yesterday and will meet with the NBL on the 8th of August.

Reply #699286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How was this info discovered Daniel?

Reply #699295 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Fox sports had a story about it.

Reply #699297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow.

Reply #699298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/nbl/consortium-behind-southern-huskies-meet-with-government-leaders-nbl-officials-are-next-sources/news-story/99e52947c4cf3f6640a316336880bd9f

Reply #699309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes interesting to learn about Powell being there.

Reply #699313 | Report this post

Todd  
Years ago

Love for the league to expand to 10 teams.

Great if Tassie gets a team and their is a second Melbourne team.

Make it more interesting.

Reply #699375 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Consulting period for the sale of the DEC finished today.

Reply #699389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"But central to any NBL submission is the acquisition of the DEC. Bartlett said the Southern Huskies would meet NBL executives next week, but would not make a formal licence bid presentation before the acquisition of the DEC."
From today's Mercury.

Reply #699392 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Yep, no coincidence meeting with the nbl this week

Reply #699393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard a whisper that the Southern Huskies might be revealing their mascot today at the Antarctic Festival? Any truth in this?

Reply #699395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

haha, I love all the posts in this thread that are just planted by the Huskies themselves.
oh I am so hyped about the mascot reveal!! oh is the whisper true I need to know!!

Reply #699396 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

They will be releasing the mascot at the Antarctic festival tomorrow.

Reply #699399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you love something release it. If it comes back it's yours. If not, it was never meant to be.

Reply #699400 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

They will be announcing our first player signing tomorrow aswell.

Reply #699416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gaze back Husky bid"

Well that's killed that then.

Otherwise, I suppose they could sign him up as their inaugural coach, he's going to be looking for a job soon.

Reply #699422 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Sorry it looks like they are just revealing the mascot tomorrow, not their first player signing.

Reply #699425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would a new franchise hire Gaze? Why would anyone hire Gaze?

Reply #699431 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

The name of our mascot is Mawson.

Reply #699494 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Mawson is a cool name for a mascot but shame they didn't go with the multiple mascot idea that I mentioned above... kids love seeing mascots and the more that mascots can be seen the better and the best way to do that is with more mascots like Illawarra had with Mo and Toma

Reply #699512 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

We have now signed nearly 3000 members,so we are getting closer to the 5000 they want for when they present the bid to the NBL in November.

Reply #699515 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

IN the Mercury today Bogut has now come out and supported Tasmania's bid to join the NBL. 2 Legends now supporting the bid. Great stuff.

Reply #699516 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #699525 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That is a great read from Ben Mallis on the Huskies and how they intend to not just enter the NBA, but in essence, try to deliver a sustainable franchise model in Australia.

Reply #699724 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Justin Hickey and Mike Sutton had a very positive 90 minute meeting with NBL chiefs in Melbourne today,they were very impressed with the financial model.

Reply #699953 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Paywall article below from not long ago on the NBL meeting with the Huskies proponents. Thanks The Mercury.

"SOUTHERN Huskies bankroller Justin Hickey has emerged from an informal meeting with NBL powerbrokers "very positive" about the direction of the state's bid.
Former Tasmanian basketballer Hickey and business partner Michael Sutton met with NBL chief executive Jeremy Loeliger and league owner Larry Kestelman for the first time this morning.
Since details of the proposed Tasmanian side started emerging two weeks ago there has been a groundswell of support from not only across the country but globally, and today’s meeting was a chance for the consortium to outline its vision to the league.
NBL owner and executive chairman Larry Kestelman. Picture: AAP
Hickey, who has previously stated his desire to land a possible 10th licence, described the meeting as a positive step forward in the process.

“I was quite surprised on how good blokes they are and how open and honest and transparent they are,” Hickey told the Mercury.

“Just about how much in their thought process everything they do is about ensuring teams are strong and importantly the quality of basketball is as high as possible.

“We requested some information off those guys as well, it was a fact-finding mission so we can do some more forward planning.

“We will probably reconvene in about a month and chew the fat a little harder on numbers and things about the basketball program, which is obviously really important.

“But it was a really positive first step.”

The Huskies have signed up nearly 5000 foundation memberships in less than a week, and have outlined their vision for turning the Derwent Entertainment Centre — which they are wishing to buy from the Glenorchy City Council — into an NBA-standard stadium.

The club also unveiled its mascot, Mawson, last Sunday.

Reply #699961 | Report this post

The smell of this gets worse all the time

Reply #699963 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

After listening to win news tonight it sounds like we have some major obstacles to overcome if we want a team.The NBL have also said we are very unlikely to be able to have a team by 2019/20,so i believe our chances of getting a team are not very high.

Reply #700012 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I highly doubt they'd rather pull the plug than wait an extra year.

Strange though if that is the case. I'd figured until this week that conversations with LK had happened privately and they essentially had a licence, unofficially, pending the DEC sale.

Meanwhile the bloke who actually does have a licence has...nothing else.

Reply #700018 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

It would be pretty ridiculous if Huskies have to wait an extra year, but the basically have their shit together, but Choudary starts next year, with literally nothing.

Reply #700021 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I haven't seen the news piece Daniel is referring to, but it's possible that they simply can't get the DEC ready in time? Choudary would presumably be playing out of a venue that is already NBL-quality. Of course, we don't even know which city it'll be in yet...

This whole situation is absurd.

Reply #700022 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

The NBL have said we will only have a small TV audience and would probably struggle to sell enough three year memberships.

Reply #700023 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If that's the excuse, you're never getting a team.

Reply #700024 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"I haven't seen the news piece Daniel is referring to, but it's possible that they simply can't get the DEC ready in time? Choudary would presumably be playing out of a venue that is already NBL-quality. Of course, we don't even know which city it'll be in yet...

This whole situation is absurd."

It will be in Melbourne, you can book that.

But still, yes, the situation is absurd. You have one team that has basically set everything up already and is all guns blazing being given a little bit of a cold sholder, while you have some dude who just showed up, no market established whatsoever, and he's being given a team for no reason other than he's rich.

The interview also shows what the NBL thinks of smaller markets. Loeliger said TV audience would be an issue as they're a small market. If you're thinking big cities get preference from NBL, well you'd be right!

I don't see why the size of Tasmania should be an issue for audiences. If they field a good enough team, I will watch. And when Tasmania plays big city teams, others will watch too. Kind of seems like a weak excuse for me. And how many more big cities are there left in Australia anyway? Do they want to basically only expand in Melbourne or something?

Reply #700025 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Do you have a link to the story? I haven't seen it.

Reply #700027 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

https://www.facebook.com/WINNewsTasmania/videos/2040920652608264/UzpfSTE1MDY0Mjk3NDYzMzE1NDk6MTg1OTM5NDcyNzcwMTcxNA/

Reply #700031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does a small TV audience have to do with anything? It's every other team Vs the Huskies on NBL TV or where ever. Their motto is US Vs everyone and so be it if that's the NBL's attitude.

Reply #700034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just quietly koberulz your avatar is awful.

Reply #700038 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well if you don't like it, I guess I have no choice but to change it.

Reply #700043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's okay as I've already image blocked it.

Reply #700044 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I didn't see Loeliger's comments as being a death knell for the franchise at all for 2019/20, I think that if he came out and all but guaranteed the license and then in a months time had to go back on that because of issues with the DEC or something unforeseen then the NBL would look foolish.

I think they have time upon their sleeve right now and if Huskies start announcing player signings and treating the club like it's already in then it will be impossible to knock back.

And as for those fearful that that NBL will sit on their hands for the next month as they await this next meeting, all I can say is that LK gets shit done and I think he had less than a month to get a tv deal when he took over the league and managed to do that and quite a decent one too.

I'm still optimistic that I will see the club over at Perth Arena in 2019

Reply #700050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Announce player signings without a licence? Huh?

Reply #700053 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Yes,they plan on signing several players before they take the completed bid to the NBL in November.

Reply #700060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Never heard of that at all. Is there a source for this rumour?

Reply #700070 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Several weeks ago they released a information pack on all the things they want to have done by the time they present the bid,one of those was to have their first signings announced.

Reply #700074 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

There is definitely a lot to get done before next season and one of those things will be making DEC suitable for large crowds and TV. I think if they can prove they can do that in time they're probably 80 percent of the way there. The issue with viewership is strange to me though, as I am sure Wollongong and Cairns have similar size populations. If just 10 percent of Tasmania watch the Huskies (and what else are they going to watch really?) that is still 50,000 viewers you never had before tuning into games. Still strikes me as weird that Choudhari is guaranteed a team where none of this groundwork has been done though. Makes me think that the NBL has probably been working on putting in another team and somewhere and had all the ducks lined up and just wanted someone external to the league to fund it. Once again, that will almost definitely be a team in South/East Melbourne.

Reply #700077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL found a wood duck and would have charged him the earth for a licence too.
Melbourne it will be but the lame excuses coming from the NBL now are laughable.

The Huskies will have their online merchandise store opening soon and the groundswell of local interest is unprecedented for anything sporting in Tasmania ever.
If this NBL bid fails to get up it will see the end to elite basketball in Tasmania very quickly.

Reply #700082 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

Not sure if they're weak excuses. I mean, yes, it is weird to me that Choudhari waltzes in but I just think he's funding a team that the NBL always wanted anyway and have probably been planning for for some time. Tasmania has a lot of positives going for it but I do think the NBL has to be mindful of all the elements before awarding them the license. The old NBL would have just let them in, they may have fallen over a year later, and then the league has to pick up the pieces. I do think the TV viewership excuse is eye-roll worthy, though. But I think, after some thought, that things aren't quite so bad for the Huskies. Maybe they can get a lot done in the next month and put the NBL in a confident position? We shall see.But I do think that, if Huskies get the DEC, they're inclusion into the NBL is inevitable in 2019, or the next season.

Reply #700088 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

I believe getting enough people to buy three year memberships could be a major problem in a small place like Tasmania,when it comes to corporate sponsorship I know they already have at least one business ready to sign up and others interested.We also know that Justin Hickey will be putting 5 million a year into it so that is a large amount towards what's required,so we just need to hope we can solve the other issues.

Reply #700093 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Not sure how they get signings for a team that isn't even guaranteed any games as yet. Sounds like a furphy. You are not going to have any decent players signing for a team that doesn't exist. At best you might get an expression of interest.

Reply #700098 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I'll give them Brendan Teys as a freebie

Reply #700102 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

@ Aussie Pride, that seems like the way the GWS Giants did it with their club initially, the scouted a lot of junior and tried building a culture within before their entrance into the AFL, I'm not sure what sort of league Huskies could play in if they're aren't in until 19/20 but I'm sure they could pick up a Gibbo or whatever... I'm not sure anyone will notice he isn't playing for the Bullets.

Reply #700140 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I believe getting enough people to buy three year memberships could be a major problem
No NBL team sells three-year memberships. I can only assume there's some misunderstanding going on because if the NBL is actually requiring them to sell three-year memberships in order to gain entry it's essentially a snipe hunt.

Even assuming it's sponsorships, not memberships...why three years? Does it really matter? Year four isn't going to magically take care of itself.

Reply #700145 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Stop giving the Wildcats membership dept. ideas please.

Reply #700147 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Sorry I mean a three year ticket not membership.

Reply #700162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think there is a bit of mis information going on here. At no stage have I ever read anything about the Huskies signing players before they got a licence. Equally the 3 year membership thing is something it appears the NBL has mentioned and never been considered here previously.
Happy to see the quotes verifying these suggestions, but I have read expensively all the Husky stuff and don't recall reading any of that.

Reply #700181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

id say the three year membership/ticket line has coem from here

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-08/setback-for-nbl-bid-by-tasmanian-consortium/10090564

first ive heard of tv being an issue...doesnt seem a problem for hurricanes in bbl

Reply #700183 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Doesn't seem to have been a problem for the Taipans and the former Crocs either!

Reply #700184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have never read anything about a Huskies 3 year membership commitment at all.

Reply #700190 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

The southern huskies will probably be the first team that require you to buy three year memberships, this will definitely put it out of the price range of a lot of Tasmanians unfortunately.

Reply #700212 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

I will ask him tomorrow night

Reply #700216 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

regareding the TV audience issues:

If my team is playing at home I will try to be there. If they're playing away, I am watching it on TV/FOX. EVEN IF THEY GO TO TASMANIA, or is that out of signal/satalite range? I just don't get this part of it. Wherever new teams are situated. If they compete with "Big market" teams, the "Bm" supporters will still be viewing. So will the new "Small market" supporters who can't get to the game and when their team plays away.

Gate may suffer but you're not accessing a 50,000 seat stadium for a 3000 to 5000 attendance. So (I think) all is relatively relative.

And, IMO, Tasmanians play good ball at their relevant levels. They are usually near or at the top of SEABL (do they still run 2 Tassie teams?), were at least VERY entertaining in their NBL days of old(e) and, there's nothing to suggest that this venture from Tas should be any different.

Reply #700225 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Yes we have two seabl teams and Hobart gets the biggest crowds in the league with at least 3500 expected at the prelim unary final tomorrow night.

Reply #700230 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

There are 4 SEABL teams in Tasmania. 3 have competed in this seasons finals.
2 are still in the Finals.
Chargers have Men and Women, Launceston women only and "Devonport" Men only.

Reply #700234 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Sorry I was only talking about the men's teams,i do know about the women's teams aswell.

Reply #700245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and a tier below that the iconic NWBU in the north.

Reply #700246 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Didn't get to speak to Hickey on Friday night but I did speak with several of his crew.
They have NEVER mentioned having 3 year memberships, EVER.
This appears to be something coming out of NBL headquarters for some weird reason. Rest assured the issue is known to the Huskies and will be addressed.

Reply #700593 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Huskies have their online store open.
Great to see.

https://store.southernhuskies.com.au/

Reply #700989 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

A decision will be made on Monday whether to sell the DEC or not,they have received over 400 objections to it being sold.

Reply #701216 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

400 objections to it being sold? Why?

Reply #701217 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Is 400 a lot in the scheme of how many had their say in this?

It feels rather high

Reply #701220 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bear in mind people opposing the sale would be vastly more likely to participate in the process.

Reply #701222 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

They would be the locals who don't want a busy hotel and entertainment precinct near their quiet little homes

Reply #701231 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

I see this sort of thing happen in Tasmania all the time,that's why nothing big ever happens in Tasmania.I can see this not being sold to hydraplay just because a small group has opposed it,it happens all the time in Tasmania unfortunately.

Reply #701232 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Larry kestelman has said on some mainland radio station this morning that he rates our bid 10 out of 10 for our euthiastic approach.

Reply #701236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"They would be the locals who don't want a busy hotel and entertainment precinct near their quiet little homes"

There are NO homes anywhere near where the DEC is located.
Google maps is your friend.

Reply #701241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thankfully, their aren't many homes close to the DEC, and those that are nearby are across a 6-lane highway so they can't really claim amenity.

The objections are helpful, but hopefully a council that desperately needs the money, and the economic boost the development will bring, will choose to seel.

Reply #701243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Worst part now is that the NBL don't want the Huskies in until 2021 it seems. So a bye for everyone next season?

Reply #701368 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why would there need to be a bye?

Reply #701382 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

2021, wow I'd rather Chaudari's team come in then and Huskies come in next season!

Reply #701383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chaudari's Melbourne team will have little to no preparation. The Huskies are ready to go now. PLayers lined up too.
Of course now that Chaudari has a licence he can't talk to players that would be illegal. Good luck.

Reply #701384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Didn't get to speak to Hickey on Friday night but I did speak with several of his crew.
They have NEVER mentioned having 3 year memberships, EVER.
This appears to be something coming out of NBL headquarters for some weird reason. Rest assured the issue is known to the Huskies and will be addressed."

hard to believe considering I received a survey from the huskies the other day and one of the questions was related to how many years membership would I consider buying

Reply #701387 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Why do they say on their Facebook page that's not something they plan on doing then?

Reply #701416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Extended memberships have never been mentioned by the Huskies.
I guess because of the press they have asked the question. The results will give them a good idea of what people want.
a sufficient discount on a pre purchased multi year membership would need to have a discount to get my interest.

Reply #701513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D Day for the DEC sell off tonight. Closed council meeting.

Reply #701556 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Glenorchy city council votes to sell the DEC and Hydraplay are the only group that are interested in buying it,I can't see why they won't become the new owners in the near future.

Reply #701646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The GCC said "Council currently values the DEC at $18.6 million"
That is way too much.

Reply #701650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not happening, council had better be smart or pour, sell it yes but make sure the price is a attractive.

Reply #701651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Greed and local government surprise surprise... not.

Reply #701686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The GCC paid $1 for the DEC originally. Let's hope they show some common sense and not get greedy because they have large debts because of their own ineptitude.

Reply #701730 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talk now that the person with the NBL licence has all NBL teams wanting that licence in Tassie. Will the NBL poop on the Huskies offer?

Reply #701747 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Justin Hicky has questioned the 18.6 million dollar valuation of the DEC,he believes its too much.

Reply #701754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes. See the post earlier.

Reply #701755 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think the worst thing the NBL could do would be to turn back a quality Tasmanian bid and try and transplant another owner into Tassie. I don't think the folk here, who are right behind the Huskies idea, would take well to that. The reality is the NBL will need more teams, if you have two good bods use them both. Be stunned if the new team isn't in Melbourne though.

Reply #701757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I only have one good bod.

Reply #701761 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The Tommy Greer as GM signals strongly 1) LK loves Greer (we know this already) and 2) The new team will be based on Melbourne (expected)

I can see LK's hesitancy in supporting Tasmania which has potential longevity issues in terms of market size/sponsorship dollars. It's not ideal to have another Illawarra/Cairns size club - especially if LK's plan is for the NBL to be the second best league in the world requiring some serious $$$ to be spent on players.

The type of league LK is looking for, I think is suited to something like:

1. Brisbane
2. Sydney @ ICC
3. West Sydney @ Qudosbank Arena
4. Melbourne @ Melbourne Arena/Margaret Court Arena
5. South East Melbourne @ Melbourne Arena/Margaret Court Arena
6. Adelaide
7. Auckland Breakers
8. Wellington Saints
9. Perth Wildcats @ Perth Arena
10. Fremantle @ Perth Arena
--
+ strongest 2 small town clubs of:
Cairns
Tasmania
Illawarra

Reply #701763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fremantle? LOL hahahahahha

Reply #701764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Close to one of the dumbest posts this year #763.

Reply #701775 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Why is that post so dumb... we all recognise that Kestleman wants to make money back on his investment so choosing smaller market regions like Geelong, Newcastle and Canberra won't be favoured over Melbourne, Perth and NZ having a second club each.

Is that what we would all like to see?

I think we'd all like to see a mixture of small and big markets for sure

Reply #701784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chargers proved that they have the following, better with a loyal following in a smaller area than a following in a larger area that only turn up occasionally. It's a no brainer get huskies a licence.

Reply #701785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 teams in Sydney has been proven twice now not to work. Fremantle has to be a joke surely. Geelong has always said they wont do the NBL again.
Canberra won ZERO games in SEABL games this season and are rumoured to be going back to the Waratah.
Newcastle have never ever expressed interest in the NBL since folding.
Equally Illawarra are on the precipice of fold so how would 2 teams work?
NZ 2 teams who cares...Don't know the dynamics there at all.
The Kiwis have already said if they are charged a licence fee they wont join.

Reply #701786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Mr Hickey has flagged the possibility of State Government intervention if an appropriate sale price cannot be agreed upon."
"They know where we are, they know we're willing to sit down around the table and have an adult conversation. If they don't want to do that then we might take it up with the State Government. We'll see."

It's only a matter of time.

Reply #701792 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

proven twice now not to work

If we based all future decisions off of which locations didn't work in the past we'd have no decisions to make because every location has had failures in the past.

To which the logic ultimately behind your argument is, "why even bother having a league at all? It's just not going to work."

Which is fine, except LK has capital and skin in the game so that's clearly not going to be his approach.

Somehow, I don't think he will measure his decisions based on how an incompetent/limited-resourced league failed in the past.

The business environment is different, the management is different, the capital and backing is different, the network of people interested and talking to the NBL is vastly different.

You don't think LK is looking for teams to be based in capital city markets where the sponsorship, membership and facilities have exist on a greater scale and therefore greater potential for a league attempting to achieve high revenue to be able to draw expensive talent?

Yup, sure, #worstpostever

Reply #701806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why even mention Geelong, Newcastle and Illawarra and Fremantle.

Hobart has already been questioned about cost of TV coverage. yet why would it cost more in Hobart than Cairns of Illawarra?
No salary cap and with teams reportedly way over the cap the small will crumble as will the League in time.
2 teams in melb good luck with that. Also many of the teams that did fail failed in the prime of the NBL.

Reply #701809 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I agree KET and besides it's a full generation since Geelong, Newcastle and Canberra were in the league... the people you want to talk to with those potential bids aren't the same businessmen, it will be the kids that went to the games back in the day and have become successful businessmen and women and want to see their (old) home town have a team.

If you're targeting the businessmen of the past with connections to the NBL then you're going about it wrong because if they could have done something about getting a license then they would have in the days before LK set his standards for new licenses (you have to imagine that when BA ran things they would have much easier to persuade).

Also it's about getting juniors in said area to stay interested in basketball and want to see professional basketball in their city.... I don't know what that would be like in aforementioned areas but as far as I can see the only reason to get a second Perth team is for fans that think the games cost too much and if a Fremantle did get a license and play out of Challenge Stadium then you have that rich/poor cousin dynamic and Fremantle will be battling to stay afloat...

Reply #701840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Facepalm at the continual second Perth team idea. Not happening.

Reply #701849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What utter bullshit proud. You mention Canberra and Cal is in the frame at all times.Currently. Same person all those years ago. Newcastle has no interest in the NBL and Geleong also have no interest. Is there a point you are making? Freo clutching at straws.

Reply #701856 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think some didn't bother to read the entire post or misread the words "the type of league LK is looking for" as “the type of league I think will happen/want to happen”. Anonymous went into a bit of an irrelevant tirade because of not bothering to actually read what it was replying to.

The real crux of the point is that I think LK will be more interested in the business proposition of second teams in large capital city markets over teams in small towns which will have struggles in drawing the type of sponsorship revenue to be competitive in the level of talent LK wants; or have the quality of facilities available to them; or ability to draw decent television ratings nationally.

As I mentioned earlier, past failure in big city markets doesn’t mean it can’t work - as seen with the rise of Big Bash and A-League where previously the attendances and sponsor revenue was barely a scratch on what the NBL even had.

Reply #701857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Read everything you posted. Simply dumb.
Oh by the way A League is a financial disaster. Did you not know that? Keep digging.

Reply #701858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth isn't a two team market outside of the AFL.

Reply #701864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Same old delusional twats who think this is the AFL.

The AFL will keep pushing teams into large "new" markets, because every game that can be telecast outside of Melbourne (into another capital city) is worth millions.
That will never work for the NBL. Repeat, never.

Every NBL team has to fund itself, either through supporters, sponsors, or owners.

A Fremantle team has more chance of succeeding than anything from Tasmanian.

Reply #701868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fremantle afl team are a basket case, won nothing in decades, why would a basketball team work there.

Reply #701869 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

My point regarding Canberra and Cal is that Cal isn't going to the same rich old men that haven't got a team back in Canberra, he needs younger investors that would have been kids at the time of the Cannons and are interested in bringing a team back.

To me it doesn't make a difference if Geelong or Newcastle say they don't want to be in the NBL, if you get someone with enough money wanting to put an NBL team there then it could happen.

This post is about Tasmania and before last month I didn't know any of the factors facing a new Tasmania team besides a shithouse stadium and a divided state but you get the right rich person that can drum up support and a a buzz around an area, advertise it in a way that can appease the non followers too and it will be hard for the NBL to not agree to a new licence. Apologies for making what's been done already sound easy and I appreciate all the effort that those behind the bid have put in and I really hope the Huskies are in the NBL very soon

Reply #701876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A Fremantle team has more chance of succeeding than anything from Tasmanian.

The stupidity continues.

Reply #701880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Cal is involved there is the reason it will never work. Not that it ever would,
Canberra have this year tried to align with the Hawks for pre season games and an NBL game.
Nothing.
Do some research before going to print. As said above everyone thinks its like the AFL. More teams in new markets. It won't work.

Surprised you left off Darwin. That has more chance than Canberra.

"A Fremantle team has more chance of succeeding than anything from Tasmanian."
Now that IS the dumbest post this year.

Reply #701888 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Basketball Australia to axe the seabel competition at the end of the 2019 season.

Reply #702017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

See the thread already going.

Reply #702020 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I've suggested twice on this site that if Darwin will ever get an NBL team then they need the white knight ala Chaudari so it's been mentioned but nobody has said anything which puzzles me as I get called out for other things on this site.

Wish there was more positive news regarding Huskies so I could stop talking shit just to keep this thread going.

Is this the largest posted thread in this site's history Isaac?

Reply #702033 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Not even close. There are SEABL and SBL threads that cracked the 1000-post mark.

Reply #702035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahhh yes the Rush era. Fond memories.

Reply #702036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team is now likely to enter a competition in Asia or new Zealand instead of NBL.

Reply #702761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NBL despite having a serious player trying to get in are stuffing around. Tonights Tas news revealed 6000+ members @$10 (non refundable) have joined the Huskies sled already.

In 2 years time if they get in the Huskies will miss the wave of b'ball popularity now.
The Chargers have done 23000+ kids in their clinics and camps and it's a Tsunami tight now in Tassie. Thats in the last 2 seasons.
The NBL are inept and are trying to shut down the Huskies because the NBL knows that they are serious and the NBL isn't simply ready to handle that. They want to pick and choose their targets and milk every dollar out of the potentials.
The last wooduck who has now paid lottsa Millions of $'s for a licence that has no home is typical of the NBL's mentality. Equally why would you pay for a licence with no home and you could have screwed the Bullets $5mill. price tag down to $4mill?
Maybe the Asean League or NZ as they said. The public want to see the best basketball in Tasmania. FFS 3000+ people going to a seabl semi final says it all. Wake up NBL.

Reply #702764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^^
Agreed 100%, what the f### are the nbl thinking. GET TASMANIA IN.

Reply #702768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow LK being exposed with these shenanigans. To me I love what he has done for the league but this is his first blight.

Reply #702769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The NBL despite having a serious player trying to get in are stuffing around. Tonights Tas news revealed 6000+ members @$10"

Oh FFS

If bullshit were gold, Tasmanian would be full of Billionaires by now,
but it would still stink.

Even assuming those 6,000+ are all real people, with some kind of vague interest in basketball, what a stupid pointless exercise.
It's when I read crap like that, and about them opening their online store, that the bullshitometer goes off the scale.

And frankly, I am stunned, amazed, and a little disappointed at the idiocy of some posters here. "Oh why does Choudhari get a team and Tasmania doesn't?"?? Really? And this often from the same posters who claim to applaud what LK has done?
Have you actually been watching the league for the past 3 years?

So ok, sigh, let me spell it out for you:
If you are a Billionaire, or at least worth a few hundy mil, and are prepared to stump up some of that cash, then you too can have your very own NBL team, and put it wherever the hell you want. That includes Hobart. In point of fact, if you're Choudhari, and prepared to back the viability of your team, you could stick it in Shit Creek.

On the other hand, if your bid is currently nothing but grand plans and BS, then you will require something more substantial to convince LK.

Drumming up a bunch of $10 EOIs, and selling some crap on eBay, is not only unconvincing, but looks desperate, and really seems like you're holding the wrong end of your dick.

Still not catching on? Let me put it this way:
SHOW ME THE MONEY.
At the end of the day, you'll need $X to convince LK. Lets say the magic number is $50M. If, like Choudhari you can find that in your sock drawer, then you're in.
However if your plan is to raise that by selling $10 memberships, then you'll at least 5M members.

Choudhari could afford to build a venue in Shit Creek, but reality is he'll probably plant his new team somewhere he can simply hire the best venue available.
The Huskies grand plan is to somehow get the DEC shithole on the cheap.

Unfortunately BS rumours about signing players before you even apply for a licence, don't help your cause.

And when I read tripe about them having some new model for sustainability (like that's never before been attempted) is when I know they're off with the fairies.
In case you haven't noticed, LK already has a model for sustainability.
It's called "having money."

There are only two teams that operate on a sustainable model. One of those lives a happy-meal away from bankruptcy, and the other required almost 3 decades of patronage to get where it is now. Guess which model LK is following?

Reply #702784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hmm you've swayed me. Great post.

Reply #702786 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

This whole situation has be really intrigued, I can't wait to see what happens next, I'm still all for Tasmania getting a team and NBL making the most of the opportunities that other leagues have simply dismissed.

As for the $50m mark from poster above, how much is the Tasmania bid got in the bank?

Reply #702790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SHOW ME THE MONEY.
You seem to think that Hickey has no money. WRONG.
Clearly you are simply sprouting your bias with not knowing anything about the man himself.

Equally if you knew anything factually about the bid you would know there is a billionaire in the background. WRONG AGAIN.

IT'S CALLED GOT THE MONEY.

Reply #702796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Post #784 probably works for the afl, they don't like competition. Imagine Tasmania get behind a basketball team and the the Tasmanian government takes away the subsidies from bringing in hawks and Roos. Can’t that happen can we.

Reply #702799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well looks like Tassie is in. The cock womble above said "Lets say the magic number is $50M. If, like Choudhari you can find that in your sock drawer, then you're in. " Lat time I checked Hickey had more millions than some guy called Dick Smith. Dick has only $50mill.
WE know who's pulling their dick now don't we!

Reply #702808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But does Hickey want to spend that much as an entrance fee?

Reply #702813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$5mill licence fee is way too much. But its only money.

Reply #702849 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Top definition

Cockwomble

A completely useless person that spouts constant bullshit

That person is such a Cockwomble

#womble#cock#prick#dickhead#arsehole

A bit harsh, but really funny when you say it in the right context...

Reply #703029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which it was ;)

Reply #703078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Update on DEC situation?

Reply #703231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothing.

Reply #703238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So #702796, you say I'm wrong, but then agree with everything I said???

But just to clarify one of your misconceptions, it doesn't matter what somebody is worth, only what they are prepared to piss away on owning their own team.
Whether the magic number is $50M, $10M, or $100M, what's clear is that the Choudhari bid has it, and the Huskies don't, or at least not yet.

Plus as I said, there's the problem of the venue. Choudhari can afford to hire one of the venues in Melbourne, and if needs be give away seats to school kids (or whatever floats his boat) ie a Venue is the least of the hurdles facing his NBL team.
Tasmanian doesn't have a suitable venue, so obviously they are not going to have one ready for next season. That their entire plan seems to hinge on getting the DEC on the cheap, then giving it a lick of paint, undoubtedly doesn't impress Kestleman much.

Like it or not, Kestleman has transformed the league. Back in the day when the league itself was bust, they would have fallen over themselves to entertain Hickey's bid. Larry aint so easily impressed.

Reply #703247 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

"Whether the magic number is $50M, $10M, or $100M, what's clear is that the Choudhari bid has it, and the Huskies don't, or at least not yet."

Above statement seems true enough but on the other hand, I imagine that Choudhari has not amassed his fortune by spending just 'cos he can. So as much as he has, I am sure he knows how to look after it. If this NBL venture is not "worth it" for him and his business interests, is he likely to lose interest and go chase another "whim"? Sounds like he can certainly afford to.

As for the Tas bid, right from the start, Hickey and consortium have promoted their business plan as self sustaining. Sounds like a lot more riding on the success of this bid and conequently, I just "feel" that this bid has more to it than a fat bank account.

I honestly have no axe to grind with the fat bank account (would looooove one myself) and think that the plan to locate in SEMelb is stunning. The facilities, local expertise, local involvement et al are all their. The owner does not have to be there to run things. The organisation will almost run itself. Because of this, and the owner's other sporting/business interests, I find it feasable that that owner may well turn his attention elsewhere, possibly as he may have done to get involved with the NBL????? No, I have NOT heard any rumours, just saying.

Can't see that happening in Tas, too much depends on it.

Personally, I welcome both. Now any takers for Wellington, Canberra, Newcastle.....

Reply #703255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK is the owner of the SE Melb team I suspect you will find.
Also spending a few $$$$'s on the DEC is simply untrue. Once again if you knew any on the facts in this bid you would know that isn't the case. If the DEC doesnt get into the control of Hickey and co it's all irrelevant anyway.
You will find out soon enough if the Huskies are the real deal mark my words.

Reply #703264 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does it take to get the ACC off it's arse to make a decision on this?. A chance to off load their white elephant and bring lots of money into their municipality.

Reply #703873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GCC sorry. Rome is burning and they will lose $10's of millions of dollars for a few shekels extra.

Reply #703884 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

They've told sources that they are in no rush, are they waiting for the naysayers to settle down so they can put this through or as they just determined not to look like they are being bullied into making a decision?

Reply #703913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one else has put in a bid for the DEC. They paid $1 for it and now want $18.5mill for it. They will lose another $1mill+ this year on it and then they will have to continue to maintain it. Makes no sense.
Perhaps the Government who built it in the first place should take it back and work with Hickey to get this sorted.
Glenorchy rate payers have a $1mill+ legal bill over the Board of Enquiry debacle too and with 2 councillors chargers today as part of that process, now would be a good time to get some good news out to the ratepayers. Maybe negotiate with the Government and leverage them to assist with that $1mil+l bill. Move on GCC. Let's not get greedy.

Reply #703917 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

They won't lose $1 million in cash on it this year, part of that will be operating and a large part depreciation, which won't be a concern for them if they're going to sell it. My understanding is they're not asking $18.5 million for it, rather that was the property valuation they received, though someone closer to the situation may know more?

Reply #703918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they dont sell it soon they will have that $1mill.+ debt again.
"Council currently values the DEC at $18.6 million." Who knows what they want but they aren't returning Hickeys phone calls.

Reply #704066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies looking to expand already into E Sports and BEER. You had me at beer!

Reply #704089 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

As I said, much of the $1 million is depreciation, so if the council know they are going to sell it another year of depreciation won't hurt them. Hope it is sorted though, the council want to sell it, Hickey wants to buy it, I'd hate to see poor communication or negotiation derail it and everyone ends up worse off.

Reply #704104 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Look like LK doesn't want them, so they are cooked.

Reply #704407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK has always said as long as we have a good financial model, he can't see a reason we can't have a team.

Reply #704427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hickey must not be a mate of LK's.

Reply #704437 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Hickey got a mention in the local paper today suggesting that the GCC have gone silent. Clearly they have. However watch this space soon. Hopefully good news.

Reply #704648 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

Don't worry Huskypup, I'm more certainly watching this space mate and eagerly await some good news, the hype generated by this bid has me excited and I want to see it going somewhere.

Reply #704653 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Talk in the article about the Huskies fielding a team in the NZBL next season to ensure their profile remains high.
The article goes on to talk about them having architects, engineers and Jumbotron people waiting to come in and quote.

Reply #704655 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Interesting about putting the team in NZ NBL, any link to the article? Would love to check it out

Reply #704664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a paywall article....

Reply #704705 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

I found the article online and in it is says "Mr Hickey and Mr Sutton have pledged to immediately spend $4 million to bring the outdated DEC up to international standard, part of an overall of an $80-$90 million investment to transform the area into a sports and entertainment precinct. The pair are in discussions with the New Zealand Basketball League about putting the Huskies on the court as soon as next season, but are in a holding pattern until a decision on the DEC is made"

Exciting times ahead. Word is there might be some movement as early as next week. Here's hoping.

Reply #704726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A team in the new Zealand nbl won't get a lot of support in Tasmania,people want a team in a Australian league not a overseas league.

Reply #704763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will play games across the state. Hobart, Launceston and Devonport. Get the locals involved, unite the state and then move into the NBL next season. In 2 seasons time the basketball / Huskies wave will have passed. The timing is perfect NOW.

Reply #704777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've sold monorails to Brockway, Ogdenville, and North Haverbrook, and by gum I've put them on the map!

Reply #704784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would a national league allow entry for Just a one off season?

Reply #704861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe money? Maybe improve the competition ;)

Reply #704862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Australian nbl wouldn't allow entry for just one season,so why would the New Zealand nbl.

Reply #705017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunno ask the NZBL because at this stage thats the plan.

Reply #705205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It won't be a one off season. The BA have stuffed up the seabl and at this stage the NZBL may be only alternative. BiG V cracking the shits about not winning titles of recent times it seems.

Reply #705300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While the idea sounds great, the costs of air fairs would be enormous. The time of travel also would be long.

Reply #705301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The GCC need to make a decision soon. They said they wanted to sell it. so SELL IT!

Reply #705324 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Mike Sutton from the Huskies group paid out big time on the Glenorchy Council today on ABC radio.

Reply #705395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GlenRorTchy City Council.

Reply #705434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What sort of things did Mike Sutton say on ABC radio?

Reply #705672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sutton was talking about the lack of transparency in the GCC's process in wanting to sell the DEC. The Huskies have the only bid in. No the GCC go quiet. They bring in someone from outside to get an (inaccurate) valuation on the DEC. Who in Hobart would have expertise in selling Entertainment Centres?
HIckey paid out on them tonight on ABC radio at 6pm too.
They apparently are going to appoint a mediator now to settle this once and for all. The GCC should remember that they wanted the white elephant they go almost 30 years ago for $1. Now there is a chance to recoup some of the Millions they have lost over that time they get greedy.
Here's hoping.

Reply #705694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I assume gcc are taking so long because they want to make sure they get the right price for the Dec. Getting a mediator is a something they need to do otherwise it may course problems for our bid.

Reply #705698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They got in some outsider to give them an evaluation. Because they can't do it themselves. For 30 years they have owned that facility and now "they dont know". There is only one bidder. Take that offer and bring in $80-90 MILLION into your area. PLus the revenue those visitors will spend in your area, forever.

Reply #705710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Public servants being incompetent? Who would have thought!

Reply #705714 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

Hickey fires up the GCC. Deservedly so.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-09-29/derwent-stadium-bidder-says-buying-from-council-is-a-nightmare/10319046

The key quote here is this:
"It prompted the state's Valuer General to step in off the back of lobbying by the Huskies group.
It is understood the Valuer General's market valuation of the DEC is LOWER than the Huskies initial offer."
Please settle this this week. The GCC are again looking foolish IMO.

Reply #706277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so what is going on here? i cant figure out if hickey and his crew are doing the dodge or if the gcc are royally screwing this deal...seems like a no brainer but then again...

Reply #706311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hickey doing the dodge what does that even mean?

Reply #706325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the GCC are even more arrogant than the Wildcats... amazing.

Reply #706348 | Report this post

Huskypup  
Years ago

NO the GCC are simply getting greedy. The VG's valuation is lower than Hickeys offer. Nothing to do with arrogant at all.

Reply #706362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well they are arrogant to its true value.

Reply #706377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't understand why gcc won't let this go for a reasonable price,they have made a loss from it ever since they purchased it.

Reply #706449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep and it's not that long ago they wanted to give it away. The board of inquiry has cost rate payers $1mill+ and that's another reason the rates have gone up 12 %. Let someone who knows this business run it please. The Huskies have promised to spend $3 to $4mill. immediately on the DEC.

Reply #706465 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without being all doom and gloom, what would happen if Hickey manages to purchase the DEC but still isn't awarded an NBL licence?

Reply #706488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are more than happy to run it as what they believe is a commercially and profit making ventur

Reply #706494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know what happened at the meeting Justin hicky had with the gcc through the week?

Reply #706818 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last I heard hickey is not even in the country. No idea about any meeting. Maybe Sutton attended?

Reply #706857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everything has gone very quiet on this bid,which i find a little concerning to be honest.I remember this happened with our last nbl bid a few years ago,it was looking like we basically we're over the line, then it went quiet and they came out 6 or so months later saying it had fallen through.

Reply #707913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which one was your bid?

Reply #707925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What do u mean?

Reply #707935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BCC are the issue here. Simple.
They want to sell it, they have only one bid (a fair bid) and they fail to communicate with the bidders.Oh it's my bid btw.

Reply #707944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True,the GCC council is no doubt the big problem.

Reply #707947 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Is the silence a good thing, could Glenorchy Council be coming to their senses or is the silence damaging the Huskies brand ?

Reply #709125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe it will damage the huskies brand.

Reply #709245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies still looking to field a team in the NZBL.

Reply #709255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where did u hear that?

Reply #709295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From the Huskies.

Reply #709297 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

The sale of the Dec has moved a step closer with a deal to be announced within weeks.

Reply #709452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Like to know how you know that Daniel!

Reply #709463 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

It's got a story in today's Mercury about it.

Reply #709477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh nice. I know negotiations / mediation was supposed to happen.

From The Mercury" Paywall article.

"GLENORCHY City Council and the Southern Huskies consortium are in deep negotiations over the sale of the Derwent Entertainment Centre with a deal possible within weeks.

Glenorchy Mayor Kristie Johnston said the council's negotiating team had met with the Hydraplay consortium, which is behind Tasmania’s bid for a team in the NBL and the only interested buyer.

"Our negotiating team had a meeting with Hydraplay consortium last week and we are now waiting for the outcome of that meeting," he said.

Ald Johnston described it as a positive meeting as both parties work through the issues identified.

“There is no real stumbling block but we are trying to get clarification on the package and deal,” she said.

“It’s not necessarily the value but the proposal.”

Ald Johnston was hopeful the DEC deal would go before the council this month or next.

In July, the council announced it was putting the cash-draining DEC - which cost ratepayers more than $1.1 million last year – on the market.

Last month, the bankrollers of the consortium – former basketballer Justin Hickey and business partner Mike Sutton – accused the council of “radio silence” over the matter.

Ald Johnston said the council at the time could not hold any discussions regarding the DEC sale until it was certain no objections had been lodged to the Resource Management and Planning Tribunal about the proposed sale.

Mr Hickey and Mr Sutton have pledged to immediately spend $4 million to bring the outdated DEC up to international standard, part of an overall $80-$90 million investment to transform the area into a sport and entertainment precinct.

Reply #709484 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Successful talks I hear apparently with a revised offer.

Reply #709574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D Day today.
https://www.themercury.com.au/business/glenorchy-city-council-to-consider-formal-offer-from-southern-huskies-consortium-for-dec/news-story/bf2c9db5af7dfd845fe7ba17da8d875b

Reply #711855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huskies offer for the DEC knocked back...coucnil say its its nowhere near what they want....this sadly all looks like falling over

Reply #712184 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's now going to the open market, so certainly not all over.

Reply #712189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul is was already on the open market with no other bidders.

Reply #712192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the council are playing hard ball, maybe the Huskies should play out of Launceston to get started, or has Hobart got another stadium that holds three to five thousand. The council might be more receptive then.

Reply #712204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Silverdome is not up to NBL standard.

Reply #712218 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

I somehow don't see Huskies ever happening. Tasmania is a full nanny state where anything that might bring some excitement is quickly shut down lest it disturb some fuddy duddies.

Reply #712219 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

They must of offered a very low amount for it to be knocked back,typical Tasmania,always talk things up but never ends up happening.

Reply #712235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh for f**** sake. Will be interesting to see if hydraplay lowballed or the gcc proving once again that Tasmanian councils are the worst in the world.

Reply #712258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably the latter.

Reply #712295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Huskies bid was above the Valuer General's valuation that isn't' a low ball figure at all.

Reply #712314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It amazes me how popular the thunder were and the Huskies could be, to all be stalled by politics. Here is a chance for Tasmania to get them selves a team in a national league with what looks like good financial backing only to be stalled by a council body. The state government should step in but there probably happier paying for two afl sides to play a few games down there every year and get there free grand final tickets.

Reply #712318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The Huskies bid was above the Valuer General's valuation that isn't' a low ball figure at all."

This.

It is not a low ball offer.
It's just that the council were greedily hoping for a huge windfall and they're not being offered one as big as what they want. It seems spiteful and actually detrimental to their own ratepayers to turn down a large lump sum offer in favour of holding onto an asset that loses them money and therefore costs rate payers money every year. I also don't understand the resistance of some rate payers to the sale. Rates aside why would they not want their entertainment centre refurbished and more events brought to it?

Reply #712323 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't understand people who own something that people want, but set an absurd price they'll never get and refuse to budge. Some money is better than no money.

Reply #712327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I was a rate payer in that council district I would be pretty angry about this

Reply #712331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There must be some bean counter out there that can do the maths.

The Glenorchy Council have on their books the DEC (after 29 years) a book value of $18.5 mill.
This is the final depreciation value (current).
What was the original book value before depreciation Please.

Reply #712348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noob question here: is depreciation worth anything to a council? (eg. like the way a depreciating asset is a tax deduction for a rental property owner)

Reply #712352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I give a shit about the Council and what benefits them. That's beside the point. What was the original book value before depreciation 29 years ago. Of course most people forget that the GCC bought the DEC for $1 back then.
I laughed when I read this just now.

"The Mercury understands the valuer-general's market valuation was about $4 million, while a source close to the council described the offer from HydraPlay — the group behind Tasmania’s bid for an NBL team — as the price of a quality home in Battery Point or less than half the lowest valuation made available."
So when the Hydraplay Group bid more than the valuer-general’s, value, the simpletons can only relate that to a property in Battery Point.
Perhaps if the DEC who one ex Lord Mayor said to me "it's worth nothing" had maintained the property well, it wouldn't need the $3-$4mill maintenance it needs now.
Then they go on to say ""Council also wants to be assured that any future owner is prepared to invest in and develop the DEC for the benefit of the community through the provision of better facilities and increased entertainment options," Ald Johnston said

Those guarantees have already been given Kristy. Almost 18 months ago, yet now you trot them out as excuse not to see. I used to respect you but no longer.

Reply #712357 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The article actually claims the bid was less than half the lowest valuation. Don't know if that's right, but the Mercury doesn't think the bid was more than the VG's assessment.

Reply #712368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Noob question here: is depreciation worth anything to a council? (eg. like the way a depreciating asset is a tax deduction for a rental property owner)"

No, since they pay no income tax being a government entity. Greedy council.

Reply #712412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can assure you Paul that Hydraplays bid was raised from there original offer. They were asked just before the council met to put in their best and final offer. They did.
They have had talks all the way through this process and strong talks too. The Huskies group got the VG's value because the Council were not allowing and due diligence to be done.
So to suggest that the bid would have been 1/2 that value makes no sense at all.
Would they seriously offer $2mill? Bullshit.

Reply #712419 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

7. Will there be another offer for The DEC?
No.

Today we are going to try and answer some of the questions that we received through social media and via email:
Link to Post on Huskies Facebook Page

Reply #712448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reading that Q&A makes me wonder if they were ever really committed to the DEC option. Maybe was used as a way of drumming up interest? If a new stadium in a more complete entertainment precinct is a possibility then that is surely the better long term option anyway. But chuck in a token offer for the DEC just in case it works out as a stepping stone until the new place is built. Sounds like a weird idea of a price negotiation if they went in blind and came out still blind regarding price.

Reply #712478 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"So to suggest that the bid would have been 1/2 that value makes no sense at all.
Would they seriously offer $2mill? Bullshit."

That's what the article said, don't speak to me, chat to the journo who spoke to both groups and came to that conclusion.

Reply #712493 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

In fact, probably from to say came to that conclusion, I imagine that was the information given to him by GCC. Seems like a lot of he said, she said going on with this one.

Reply #712495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will ask Smithie.

Reply #712511 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Opinion piece from yesterday's Mercury
Council sending the wrong signals about doing business

Reply #713850 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If it's true the GCC wouldn't share the valuation, nor let the Huskies access to do their own, you have to shake their head at saying the SH offer was inadequate! What did they expect? Makes the council look very amateur.

Reply #713873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the state government has to step in and broker a deal. It will such a shame for basketball that Tasmania aren't given a good shot at this.

Reply #713879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again the GCC are not really caring about their rate payers.

Reply #713886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to hear whats going on now with the Huskies. The suggestion that their offer was less than half the VG's offer is simply incorrect. Watch this space.

Reply #714221 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

I can't see them building a stadium in hobart at another site,i think it will cost 40 million minimum to build a stadium the size they want.I can't see them wanting to invest that much upfront when they didn't want to pay anymore than 2million for the Dec.

Reply #716270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not true Daniel. The bid was far more than $2mill. and wasn't anywhere near "less than half the Valuer General's valuation"
Hopefully something announced this week.

Reply #716278 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Have you heard they may be making an announcement this week?

Reply #716332 | Report this post

Food for thought (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

They're joining the NZNBL for next season.

Reply #716335 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

How do you know they may be announcing that this week?

Reply #716338 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

It will be expensive flying over there with no direct New Zealand flights from Hobart.

Reply #716341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Direct flights from Hobart starting January, it looks like the Huskies are very serious about getting this up and running.

Reply #716344 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

I can't see why an airline would start flights to New Zealand just because of the huskies joining the nznbl.

Reply #716347 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Haha, pretty sure the Huskies had no bearing on the airline starting direct flights, the increased popularity of tourism from Australia to NZ is just a bit bigger than the 15 tickets they'll sell for the huskies players and staff once a fortnight.

Reply #716349 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

I have not heard anything about direct flights to new Zealand starting in January,no announcement has be made by any airline.

Reply #716352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's happening, tourism both ways. Business in Hobart doing very well as well.

Reply #716357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am pretty sure that there are only 4 away trips for the Huskies if they compete in the NZBL. If they are serious about getting into the NBL that's a drop in the ocean.

Reply #716358 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Well if that is true about flights to New Zealand, I will be one of the first to book,it will be great for Hobart.

Reply #716363 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Any idea which airline will be operating these flights?

Reply #716374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So for all the talk of "they have a Billionaire bankrolling them" it seems it was just a bunch of big talk after all

I mean come one, the guy behind this bid made what little money he has selling overpriced drink bottles.

And their entire proposal was prefaced on being given the DEC for a song

But oh, don't wrooy, even though they couldn't afford $4M for the DEC they'll somehow scrape together a few hundred million to build a new stadium.

Let's also not forget the obvious fact, that had this bid had a shred of credibility, then Kestleman would have been all over it, and that most definitely didn't happen.

Doesn't matter whether their bid was $2M, or $3M, that's chicken-shit.
How were they going to fund the renovations? Have a Lamington Drive?

Reply #716402 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They were probably going to fund the renovations by not spending the renovation money on just buying the building.

Reply #716404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Overpriced drink bottles. You and the Boards know it all Koberules simply know it all.
NO point continuing this discussion as you have all the answers already.

Reply #716408 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You know things aren't going well when both sides come out of it looking dodgy and disorganised

Reply #716411 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Any idea when the big announcement is expected,i hope it also includes info on weather they still plan on building a stadium in Hobart.

Reply #716420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask Koberules.

Reply #716424 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

Regardless of the money the ownership has the issue around venue was always going to be a major sticking point.

The NBL doesn't want to bring in a new team that plays in a sub standard venue and won't have a strong future in the league with expected large additional costs.

If you blame council or the team it doesn't matter as no upgraded venue no NBL its that simple and thats before you factor in the lack of commercial value a team in tassie adds to the key revenue drivers of the league.

Reply #716428 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

The huskies will enter the NZ nbl next year with 3 games in Hobart and the same in Launceston.

Reply #718944 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

4 games in each actually.

Reply #718945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Double headers every weekend when in NZ, will be a lot travelling, will be a tough ask winning games away.

Reply #718949 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

9 team league means 16 games doesn't it? That's 4 trips to NZ, not that bad.

Reply #718983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better than Phoenix

Reply #718985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, Phoenix's name is a joke.

They should of considered bringing back Magic or even South Dragons with there amazing titles they won.

Reply #802217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should be known as the Chargers. Top to bottom all the way through. The Chargers took over from the Devils in 1997 and continue to be the best Men's team in Tassie. Chargers it is.

Reply #802219 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Has to be Devils.

Reply #802224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do know that the Devils name is already taken don't you?

Reply #802241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tassie won't have a team anyway.

The state gov can;t justify the spending as they'll be broke after throwing so much into the economy/health after COVID19

Reply #802251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Demons is the closest they can get.
If they were sticking with just Hobart then Hobart Sharks sounds cool.
Tasmania I like Tasmania Demons.

Reply #802253 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:17 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754